Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    my first snod and absolutely loved it despite the awful weather.

Great craic with all other runners and nothing but respect for marshalls and supporters alike for sticking it out on the hills.

Will definitely back as I have unfinished business with the last climb. Final descent was great fun. image
  • Options

Well done Martin

Nobody in the club would believe me when i would tell them The Snowdon Marathon is not as hard as people make out.

With your excellent time of 3-14 it goes to show Arwel is the chap to get any one around if your fit and hungry.

Regarding that little steep muddy slope to that final gate at 25m , i used the grass path to its left which had not a single footprint on it and was just as quick and  a lot safer aswell.

My time of 5-25 is not surprising when you think ive lost so much valuable training in the last three weeks and even up to then i didnot feel in any decent shape.

This was one of the hardest Snowdons i can remember, throughout the entire race i was running on instinct and strangely i was five minutes down on my training runs on the course.

When i ran from the start to Pen Y Pass i never failed to break 41minutes but i was way down today with my legs feeling tired from five miles onwards.

I suppose we cannot expect every marathon we do to be a painfree affair but today i was on autopilot and was glad to finish.

Atleast the weather remained traditionally unclement and the wind at Bwlch  Y Groes is always an issue even in the summer.

All that was important was making sure i collected my 16th slate coaster and completing my 17 Snowdonia Marathon.

Thankfully Iorwerth finished aswell making it 29 Snowdon Marathons.

See you on Tuesday if you feel up for it.

Peter 

• Options
    Well done everyone- you should all be chuffed to have completed the UK's hardest road marathon.
  • Options
    Congrats to everyone who raced today. Very impressed with the times some of you achieved, especially those in the low 3 hr bracket and below! Frustratingly I was around 19-20 miles when you were crossing the line!! Had my slowest marathon so far in 4:23 but bizarrely it was the best race I've done in terms of control all the way round! Didn't stop running at all till around 22.5 miles, then power walked most of the way up to the quarry at 24. Was really feeling the cold at this point so had to start running again just to keep warm. Picked up quickly surprisingly then had the best ever descent into Llanberis passing loads who'd overtaken me on the way up!! Only started cramping up about 200m from the finish but by then it was too close to care! 3 1/2 hour drive home and am now sprawled on the sofa feeling very full from a massive portion of pasta and very sleepy!! Legs feel tired but ok. Compression tights are definitely the future!!

Well done again guys and girls. Look forward to reading more posts from those who took part over the next few days.

Si
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=183913&last=1&V=1&SP=

hope that works ok - should be link to snowdonia marathon 2012 thread! image
  • Options
    Well done all, enjoyed today, started steady and stuck to it, body's is screaming stop so thought sod it, run it and enjoy it so that's wot I did, 3.17 and small change. I have unfinished business here coz sub 3 is doable but to much of late has finished me off! The 6 hr drive home was worse! Red wine now, even caught most of x factor image
  • Options

Bore da/good morning - hope that all those staying over had a good night. Hope the legs aren't too bad - mine have stiffened up a bit - getting out of bed was a bit of a struggle. Not surprising given the pounding they took on the descent into Llanberis

I see the 2012 thread is up and running. I'll definately be back - the Snowdonia Marathon is the only marathon I will do every year. Hoping to a Spring Marathon (probably Blackpool for sentimental reasons) and I really fancy the Coed-y-Brenin trail marathon in June.

After yesterday I am going to try and put in some more miles/quality running ( think my biggest week was just over 40miles). If I can do that, hopefully I will run the last 6 miles much stronger next year - the chap I was running with from Beddgelert for about 5miles went on to run 2h45m (just finishing behind Jez Bragg) - he thanked me for pulling him up the Beddgelert drag. I tried to hold some back for the Waunfawr climb, but really struggled - nothing in the legs - walk/"jog" from 1/2 way up

• Options
    Brilliant results on here and congratulations to everyone.

Si - your report sounds just like my experience. I felt the best I have ever felt on this marathon (other than never really feeling warm!), but my time was 4.43, which was one of my slowest runs! Struggled with cramp a few times, which I put down to the cold - despite wearing tights, HH top and club vest, hat and lightweight running jacket. Kind of wish I'd hung on to my binbag a bit longer! Feeling a bit stiff this morning, but not as bad as I thought I would do, which is a relief!

As ever, the support round the course was amazing - how wet and cold must those marshalls have been? Four coasters now - can I keep going to get a full set?

Look forward to reading everyone's reports.
  • Options
    Bore da pawn. Here in Llanberis enjoying a breakfast bap from Pete's.
    Yesterday was my best, most favourite marathon ever!!! Loved it all and very proud to say I ran every inch of those hills. Got in around 4:40 something but so euphoric forgot to turn Garmin off, so can anyone direct me to the results???
    Will definitely be signing up for 2012!
  • Options

Morning all!!!

Back in Rhyl now, what a great day! Some fantastic times, 3:50:11 for me 30 minutes quicker than last year!!

Well done to everyone, Panad, Chimney great running with you guys, and what a great night meeting up with T-Rex, Brit Nick, Jasond, Chimney, Niki, Andrea, Rou, Stuart and loads of others whose names I didn't get!! Thanks to you all for making Mrs TR39 feel so welcome we had a great night!!!

JD, JB, Rou absolutely awesome times amazing!!

Panad, Chimney we got our Snod sub 4s!! and smashed last years time!!!image

• Options
    Hi all, well done on your runs yesterday - some unbelievable times given the weather & underfoot conditions. For those trying to find the results they are on here

http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/
  • Options

Well done to everyone - the quick and the slow - in what were again dreadful conditions. And many thanks to the marshalls etc.

I finished in 4.13, scraping a pb for Snowdonia by 3 mins (only cos the wind was behind us on the stretch from Beddgelert).

Already got b&b booked for next year. Still hoping for decent weather, in the hope of enjoying the 'spectacular' scenery.

• Options

Seriously tired but elated by my 4.38 in my first ever marathon.

Unbelievable experience added to by the risk of being run over most the way around and the strange non appearance of the gels/energy bars. Would I do it again? Probably not, remember it for the fabulous day it was. Well done to all

• Options

Well done to everyone.  Mrs C & I were both late withdrawals due to injuries but came down for the weekend anyway as we'd already paid a deposit on the B&B.

We stood in the wind and rain in the middle of nowhere between Bedgelert & Rhyd Du.  Gave everyone of you a cheer.  It was tough going stood in those conditions so running for several hours in it was an awesome achievement.  Well done!

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    I ache all over! (and my chin's not too pretty either!)

TR39 here's my splits-be interesting to see how they compare..
    (miles 1&2 together as I missed first mile-marker!)
    18:03 10:03 10:28 9:52 7:46 8:14 8:11 8:23 7:57 8:09 8:04 8:04 9:24 9:39 8:07 7:38 8:09 8:12 8:19 8:18 9:24 12:39 11:29 9:19 and 10:33 incl the 0.2!

I definitely lost time being cautious after the fall!
  • Options

Ache here to!!

Here are my splits:

8:39 8:57 9:23 9:55 9:01 6:34 7:05 7:41 8:01 7:49 8:11 8:04 8:04 9:39 10:05 8:16 7:33 8:18 8:49 8:50 8:48 9:21 13:02 11:43 9:14 7:33 1:37image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    My knee is throbbing! I too lost time on the descentimage Splits: 6:26 6:45 7:42 8:21 8:12 6:14 6:51 6:44 6:50 6:46 7:06 7:01 7:02 7:57 8:03 7:06 6:51 6:59 7:07 7:02 7:04 7:37 10:18 9:05 8:00 7:28 53
  • Options
    Greg CGreg C ✭✭✭

Some great times everyone - well done!

I really enjoyed the day. Set off a bit slower than last year with the intention of doing sub-4 due to the lack of training (only 2x16 and a 19 in training) due to injury. and also to avoid getting to Beddgelert knackered like last year! Really struggled from 18 miles to Waunfawr then seemed to recover a bit and seemed to gain places uphill and then had a really strong downhill to finish in 3:46:34, pretty much the same as last year. Will be back next year, hopefully better trained and injury-free to have a crack at that 3:30.

• Options

Absolutely loved it.  Course PB by over 50 minutes.

3:59 'gun' 3:58 'chip' - great day at the office.

Hope to be back next year.

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Well done everyone - looking forward to watching you all on the telly later.

Off to the 2012 thread now .............................................

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Just a reminder that highlights of the race are on S4C 7.30-8.30 tonightimage
  • Options
    Right, just got back. S4C set up, but sadly we have no translator!

Many thanks for all the kind words. It was fantastic to see so many forumites yesterday, and well done to you all. Great to run some of the way with JD and Bionic as well.

My game plan was to aim for a 3:20 and hopefully a top 5 ladies placing. Possibly a 3:15 if things were going well.

Result: 3:12:06 (haven't looked at the official results yet), and I won't say any more otherwise it'll spoil a cracking story on S4C.

Upshot is that the placing is immaterial: I had the race of my life.

As ever, I was wearing a knackered old gilet to protect from that ferocious wind. Which meant that the zip was going up and down like a tart's knickers every time I heard the TV crew coming so that my race number was visible!!

JB: I think that was just about the first time I have ever gagged grinning as well. That St John's lady insisted on stuffing some chocolate in my gob, with disasterous results!! So I'm convinced I have dregs of choc around my mouth for the TV interview. But don't worry: there'll be another epic lesson of how not to eat a gel with soaked woolly gloves
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Rou it's repeated later in the week with subtitles..
  • Options
    We're watching it now with subtitles
  • Options
    On freeview S4C ask for subtitles
  • Options
    thanks Miffi. We're watching online though!
  • Options
    ah, ok sorry didn't realise.       kind of wondered why you didn't have subtitles!image
  • Options
    Going over to 2012 thread. Guess I will see everyone there..... Byeeeeeeeeeee