Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Lit - just read your race account - congrats on the time, and great reporting ! 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - She'll hear within two weeks and waiting to hear from another too.  She has an interview coming up at Cumbria in two weeks and still waiting to hear from Edinburgh.  I think Edinburgh and York are her two preferences.   Either are an ideal distance. 

Rest day today.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Conditions were good for running here and I've got a nice flat and safe road nearby so I thought I'd do my Jantastic timed effort.  For 5 miles I had predicted 33:45 and I ran it in 33:43.  I'm a bit unhappy about those 2 seconds though.  Scores on the board.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Mini taper continues with a steady 4 miler with various paces tried out. Averaged 6.58 pace which is a bit quicker than I was expecting to go but I did want to try a few things out ahead of the race on Sunday.

Legs still feel mashed so I may just rest until Sunday now and recondition the pins with the foam roller.

Nice going BI. A little careless with the 2 seconds there though! image

SB

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Minni - sounds like Minni-ette has several options, so hopefully she'll get what/where she wants.

BI - that's a remarkably accurate prediction! I'd be even more impressed if you told me you ran it without a watch and just looked at the time when you finished...

8 easy ones done here, followed my instincts and thread advice and dropped the fartlek element. Just as well really, as the legs felt heavy most of the way round, and doubt anything would have been achieved with a half-hearted quality session. Rest day(s) ahoy!

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

x-post - varied sounding 4 miler there SB! Rest well.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Don't worry Bike It, there is still plenty of time in March to do the 5-miler again, but properly this time.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Bike it - before you log that run perhaps PMJ can tell us what those two seconds will do to the scores on the doors...

• Options
    Minni wrote (see)

Bike it - before you log that run perhaps PMJ can tell us what those two seconds will do to the scores on the doors...

If I recall correctly from last year, the formula basically works out how far you missed by and then expresses this a percentage of the time and takes that off 100%. So for 33:45, 2 seconds under or 2 seconds over is missing the target by 0.099% so scores 99.901%. There was then some rounding so it depends what they are rounding to if it gets round up to 100% or down to 99.9%.

This means that you get more leeway on a bigger target, so my 2:12 for 20 miles means I get 1% error if I am within 1:19 and 5% error is 6:36.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I've already logged it so I should really run it again.  Of course I used a watch in lap mode and kept a track of the pace and the offset from target.

Actually I could also change the target as Marchfulness is open to changes in targets at this stage.....

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

You know what to do BikeIt....image

Typically excellent response from our thread stato.

• Options

Bike It - very disappointing. Get straight out there and run it accurately this time. image

Using PMJ's formula, I reckon I've got to get within a shade over 50s of target time for Sunday's half to get 99%. Don't forget that this is just one part of one month for one person so I hope no-one's going to be TOO upset if I'm a bit out. Please!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Abbers - very wise, good listening to your body there. I ended up walking home with a calf starin after a few miles of an intended BAC session comeback today. Guess I shoudl have ramped up more slowly but I dont have time for 10% a week. Thats probably set me back another week now too.

• Options

Today a gentle, stress free trot round one of the usual routes (we all have them). 13 miles done in 1:45. It was deliberately gentle, as I haven't been doing double digit runs much this year. It was stress free, because my GPS was still set on bike mode, so I knew time and distance, but not instantaneous pace. Anyway, it was a nice outing, and pleasing to report how easy it felt.

Bad news on the calf strain TR.

I have posted cake photos elsewhere, but thought that you lot were above that here.

/members/images/26252/gallery/cake_1_DSCN0263_199.jpg

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Blimey, TR, the road to Blackheath has certainly been rocky this year . . . .

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

I'm lurking, Lorenzo, but keeping quiet as I have so many things to organise before we return with four school places for four children to line up, new house, etc.  The house is now sorted and I am pleased to let you know I will be living in your 'hood in Guildford!  I am relying on you to show me the best runs in the Surrey Hills.  I will be missing the hilly trails of Mount Tam when I leave here and need to get straight into it when I arrive in April!

Bad luck to the walking wounded but I hope that you will be sensible and come back stronger.

A special shout out to Lit on a fantastic HM time!  Well deserved and you can feel more confident going into VLM now. 

• Options

Awesome PB Lit, well jealous of that!

Mr Tarts, good luck with Brighton it's a good course & atmosphere. Weekly mileage varies on here a lot, but I think the main mantra is to get consistent week in week out training. Then there's the 5 x 20 milers in a campaign... Just had a raspberry Bakewell, which was nice!

Fingers crossed your calf strain isn't too bad TR.

Blisters, sounds like a busy day in the kitchen - like the cake decoration.

Chest infection gone and back to normal this week. Nice 5 x 1 mile reps down the park last night image

• Options

Blisters - love the cake. Clearly a man of many talents!!

MsE - great news. Look forward to catching up when you're back. Have you ended up someone in Guildford itself (as I think you were looking there) or in one of the villages nearby? There's a good (albeit rival!) running club in Guildford if you or the kids are interested! and you'll be back just in time for the T&F season.

Glad to hear you're back to normal KR; fingers crossed for TR.

4 miles with a few hill sprints this morning. 

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - just 2 seconds out over 5 miles is very impressive.
    SB - good luck for Sunday.
    Abbers - ditto!
    TR - sorry to hear about the calf strain.
    Blisters - sounds promising.
    MsE - hi!
    KR - pleased to hear you're back on track.
    Lorenzo - all the best to you too for Sunday.
    10 miles @ 8:23 m/m this morning. I hope the new session format isn't habit forming - 2x4M & 1x2M with 2 toilet recoveries. I blame last night's green tomato chilli.

• Options

TR - Good luck with that calf.

Blisters - Great miles, good to see you on the way back to fitness.

MsE - Fantastic news for you. Maybe you could pop in to see my Mum in Epsom from time from time?

Gul - Sounds like the toilet will take longer to recover from that 'session' than you will! 

Tarts - Hello! It's raspberry jam for jam tarts, obviously (tsk). I would also throw these fellas into the mix, though. Good luck with your Brighton campaign and don't fret about the miles others are doing. I was doing 70mpw until my knees struck work and now I wish i'd kept it to 50-60mpw. As long you get in your long runs, a médium-long one midweek and some reps and MP/ tempo stuff, that's all that counts. imho.

Still no running here this week. I found my legs had really taken a beating from the physio this time and they ached for a day or two. I can still feel them, but they are much better. The only problem is I've had trouble sleeping - first the knee was quite painful and then last night I had this dull ache all down the outside of my calf which wouldn't let me sleep. Once I got up the ache disappeared and now today I feel as if I could give my legs a run-out tomorrow. Could those nocturnal aches and pains just be my body repairing itself, or is that wishful thinking?

Stay fit and healthy, everybody.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

TR - rubbish news on the calf. You have a history of issues there if I remember rightly; hopefully you stopped in time for it not to delay your comeback by long, and can get some kind of shortened training done. I was always going to have a couple of rest days today and tomorrow, to give myself a chance of a good run on Sunday, and don't want to push things too far at this stage. I know I've done more miles than ever before in the last 2 months (not a lot compared to some on here, I know!), so want to protect what I've got a bit, rather than push too far. It's all a new adventure.

Blisters - excellent running and cake decorating skills! image

Good to hear that life arrangements are coming together for MsE.

KR, right back into it, and no lingering lurgy. Excellent.

Nice sharpening stuff from Lorenzo. Weather looking reasonably kind for Sunday at the moment.

Gul - "toilet recoveries" could just enter training lexicon!

Ant - sounds like your limbs are responding to the pounding they took at the fizz, and are slowly adjusting and settling down. Hopefully you'll be ache-free and able to run again in the next day or two, and feeling like a man re-born!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ant - don't run tomorrow and take another couple of days off.  You really want to make sure these aches and pains are gone before you run.  Still plenty of time.

TR - you are on a rocky road.  Hope you get back up to full speed soon.

Blisters - loving the cake.  How about one for Chandos?

I'm very excited that MsE is returning to the UK and pleased she will be joining my Thunder Run Ladies team in July. Go us!  image

• Options

Great cake Blisters: truly worth the effort put into it.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got back yesterday from sunny Tenerife to a blistering 13c sunny day in Jersey and today is the same.image

Did a 5k run every other day out there and them hills are not easy. Running here is so easy by comparison.

Hope all is well with everyone and won't attempt to try read back as I suspect there would have been alot of activity over the past 12 days or so. Would anyone be so kind as to give me a short recap of events on here please?

• Options

Don't like the sounds of the toilet stops Gul.

Good news the aches have disappeared Ant. Although if you can, have another day off just in case.

Make sure you have that sun lotion on Gerard! Welcome back, Gul does some good round ups!

8 miles at av pace of 7.06 last night. Should have been 7.30 pace, but it felt comfortable. I think I need to try and be more disciplined with the paces!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Gerard - I ran a sub 3 marathon in training! image

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Blisters - Nice cake!! I wouldnt know where to start

Tarts - raspberry or Lemon curd.. but not six of them.

Moving through programme ok with the 1000m reps done at a slightly slower pace than wanted but yesterdays 15 miles felt pretty good.

Hope the injured are recovering fully.

• Options

Tarts - I ran 3:11 at the first Brighton Marathon averaging less than 30 mpw over the 12 week schedule. And I think I've only ever exceeded 50 miles in a week when I did a 20 on a bank holiday Monday then another 20 the Sunday after.

No running for a week here as my stomach still doesn't seem quite right. I will run tonight though as I have to decide if I'm doing the club's 20 mile training run on Sunday.

Did anybody see the results from the Japanese university half marathon championships this weekend? Run in fairly poor conditions the winning time was 62:09 with the top 10 all under 63 minutes. Scott Overall's winning Reading Half time of 64:44 would have got him just 95th place, and there were 200 runners under 66 minutes and 529 runners under 70 minutes. And these are just university students. By comparison just 63 runners have gone under 1:10 in the UK this year so far, of whom just 5 are under 23. Seems to me we should forget looking at what the Kenyans and Ethiopeans are doing as we can't replicate their genetics or their environment, and instead we should be looking at the Japanese as an example of what can be achieved.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)

Tarts - I ran 3:11 at the first Brighton Marathon averaging less than 30 mpw over the 12 week schedule. And I think I've only ever exceeded 50 miles in a week when I did a 20 on a bank holiday Monday then another 20 the Sunday after.

No running for a week here as my stomach still doesn't seem quite right. I will run tonight though as I have to decide if I'm doing the club's 20 mile training run on Sunday.

Did anybody see the results from the Japanese university half marathon championships this weekend? Run in fairly poor conditions the winning time was 62:09 with the top 10 all under 63 minutes. Scott Overall's winning Reading Half time of 64:44 would have got him just 95th place, and there were 200 runners under 66 minutes and 529 runners under 70 minutes. And these are just university students. By comparison just 63 runners have gone under 1:10 in the UK this year so far, of whom just 5 are under 23. Seems to me we should forget looking at what the Kenyans and Ethiopeans are doing as we can't replicate their genetics or their environment, and instead we should be looking at the Japanese as an example of what can be achieved.

Hope you get over this small blip, BOTF. The Japanese have long had an obsession with marathons and corporates have sponsored athletes to bring in talent and nurture talent but it is surprising how few you see at the very pointy end of the elite field despite this.  I do agree though that they are doing something right to bring so many runners to that level.  Being small and light might also work in their favour!

• Options

Thanks BOTF that is encouraging indeed and amazing time on 30mpw! I have had a bit of a breakthrough this week so feeling good about it. More mental than physical but am running a lot stronger and more confidently lately. Out the door at 5.45 am this morning to do hill reps on my own and did them faster and stronger than ever and felt mentally tough to the point I puked. I am putting it down to the tarts. Been mainly on Ginger Nuts today though, see what that does.

Wow the Japanese sound fast. I have read a few articles before about how lots of the Japanese guys like to smoke while running a marathon. Maybe smoking and sushi is a good combo.