Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Slightly depressing to compare the depth of UK running to the Japanese. We need a good result from Mo in April to earn some kudos.

Puking on the road-side before breakfast Tarts? Takes me back that does image 

Great news MsE and well done on being volunteered for the Thunder Run! 

An hour on the bike this morning

Run tonight was 1.5mile easy, 2x2.5mile at 10K pace (6:10mm) off 1 mile recovery with 1.5mile cool down.  Session looked daunting on paper but ticked it off without any issues image Feeling sharper with every passing week. 

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Cheers KR! I stopped applying the sun cream about a week ago but may need it this weekend in Jersey.image

Minni - Hehe. I bet you are in good nick and are well on track to smashing your pb.image

Lit - I believe congrats are due. Well done on your great half time, bodes very well for your marathon. Hope you can stay fit & healthy.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Jamtarts-you pb'ed by 20 mins last year and have done a few mara's now so should know if you have done enough or not, don't worry what everybody else is doing as it depends on a much longer time-frame than a solid 12 or 18 weeks training , for you  8 mins sounds like its in reach at 50 mile/week , time will tell image  

7 miles at 8:15m/mile for me tonight.

• Options

MsE - the Japanese have just as much depth as the Kenyans if not more, they're just 4-5 minutes slower over a marathon.

7 gentle miles with the club tonight @ 8:50 ish. It didn't feel too bad running, but my stomach is churning right now so we'll see how I feel in the morning.

I've worn Nike Vomeros for quite a few years now starting with Vomero 3 and most recently I've been running in Vomero 6 as I bought a bunch of them cheap when the 7 was brought out but due to a year of not running I've only just started to wear them out. I decided I'd need a new pair for the marathon, so I bought a pair of Vomero 8 and ran in them for the first time tonight. Unfortunately, apart from the fact they're completely fugly, they also seem flatter and very hard, nowhere near the amount of cushioning of the 6, and my legs were sore after just 7 miles, so it looks like I'll be racing in my best pair of 6's as it's too late to switch to a completely new model now. Afterwards I guess I'll be looking for a new shoe. Why can't they just leave stuff alone!

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

BOTF, it's called progress apparently and is a constant source of irritation to me

When did I turn into Victor Meldrew?

• Options

BOTF, I don't blo+++dy believe it! Not only have they changed the design of MY TRAINERS they've doubled the price!

No running tonight, I can't afford the trainer rubber.

• Options

It's hard enough finding a shoe that suits you without the companies mucking about with the successive models and generally ruining them. This was the case with the Mizuno Wave Riders - I loved the 12s and 13s, and then the 14s turned out to be totally unwearable.

Minni / KR O.k., I'll take your advice and stay in this morning as well. I slept much better last night and the legs feel all right this morning. I am probably hyper-sensitive to any niggle or ache now, but my legs do feel tired still, as if I had walked all around town in uncomfortable dress shoes, or something.I will do some bike this morning and hopefully get out tomorrow - this is doing my head in, almost literally.

One thing is amazing, though - despite doing no running since last Sunday and not really paying attention to diet, I seem to have lost nearly 2 kilos in weight!!

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Briefly,
    Fab running Literatin, got to be borderline 2.59.59? depending on conversion abilities
    Good luck MsMinni, although I still can't believe modern parents go to interviews with their children
    Birch - 3.45 should be a doddle, shouldn't it?
    MsE - welcome home
    Tarts - it's not about how many miles you do, unless you do far to many or far too few
    Ant - spot on about the inconsistency of shoe design

A few nice runs this week, working nr Oxford Circus so put in some miles in/round Regent's Park. Spring is much more advanced in the south.  

VLM & Comrades are getting alarmingly close. Yikes.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Poacher - yes, I noticed last week the VOGIT time had changed, but 3:30 is still the goal

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Ant - hope the recovery is complete and you're ready to rock'n'roll soon.
    GM - welcome back.
    KR - sounds like you're coming back strong.
    Mennania - good reps and MLR.
    6JT - nice early morning hill reps - not sure about the puking.
    SJ - good 10k efforts.
    Leslie - chugging along nicely.
    BOTF - hope the stomach settles down.
    Poacher - yes, spring seems to have arrived early. Daffs out and birds nesting over here.
    12 more plodtastic miles @ 8:50 m/m d&d. Pleased to report NO stops this morning.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Menn - nice reps & MLR. Looking good.

BotF / MsE - amazing results from Japan. Can't imagine a comparable competition in the UK would produce anything close to that level of consistent quality.

SJT - that's the kind of mental fortitude we like! Getting right into TR's hurt box there. Ginger nuts are an interesting choice. A good dunking biscuit, I find.

SJ - cruising! Very nice session.

GM - hope you had a great holiday. Back just in time for the madness to start on here...

BotF / Blisters / SJ / Ant - As well as mucking about with the designs, the cost of running shoes seems to have gone up a lot in the last 2-3 years. Even in that short timeframe, the top price seems to have jumped from about £90 to £120-130. Corporates cashing in on the recreational running boom? Whoever would have thought it!

Ant - sounds like you're nearly ready to get back to it. Those residual training benefits are obviously working!

Good solid stuff from Gul & Leslie.

More resting for me; it's a hard life! A bit of a carb load in progress too. Not because I feel the need to for a HM, but as a dry run before VLM so I'm not trying anything new in the build up to the big day. Same will go for practising mid-race nutrition on Sunday. Don't normally take on much at all, either in terms of drinks or solids/gels, but will be trying to eat/drink a bit more I think.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Abbers, the higher intensity at HMP (assuming you are racing it) might require a different approach than MP running so don't worry if you can't get as much down as you'd like in order to accurately simulate your marathon fuelling strategy.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJ - yes, definitely racing it. Feel like it's a good chance to chase a PB 5 weeks out from London without doing any damage to mara prep, and will hopefully be a confidence boost that the training is working for me. I usually struggle to take on anything much during HMs, so something will be better than nothing! A bit of liquid, a gel around 8 miles and maybe a few dextrose tabs will be the limit of my attempt though. Might just help on the last 3 miles too, which is where I normally struggle.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

ABBERS-Goodluck with the half mara , any target time or is it a secretimage

Gul-No stops is a good improvement 

13.1 miles @ 8:45m/miles this morn , bit of hail at the start but then ok. 

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Cheers Leslie. Well, sub-90 has been the target for over 3 years, and 6 unsuccessful attempts (Bournemouth & Bristol in 2011, Bournemouth & Oxford in 2012, White Horse & Bournemouth in 2013). Current PB stands at 1:30:22 from Oxford. So that's plan A, but I'd like to think it's not as marginal any more as it has been, when I've felt like it's right on the limit of my ability/fitness. We'll see what Sunday brings image We're staying at the in-laws near Northampton for the weekend, so not sure I'll get a chance to post before later Sunday night/Monday morning.

Sounds like a solid run you put in this morning too.

Just in case I don't get the chance to get on again, good luck to the other weekend racers (Sporty B & Lorenzo at Surrey, all those doing 20 mile events of various descriptions). Go well boys & girls! image

• Options

Odd lunchtime today. Was feeling a bit jaded and P&D had me down for a 12 miler which I didn't fancy but saw there was a 1 mile race in Ealing so 4.75 miles there and back and a mile race seemed to be about the same.

Tried out my new shoes which are a bit bright, Saucony Kinvara 4s. These will be my VLM shoes.

http://img.runningwarehouse.com/new_big/SKN4M2-1.jpg

Had a nice run, took the mile easy and overtook a lot of enthusiastic starters and ended up with about 5:26 which is a boost.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Good luck Abbers and enjoy your weekend!

Nice easy miling PMJ. As for the shoes..... image

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

I hope you nail it this weekend, Abbers!  But if you don't it is just numbers really.  There is nothing to say that 1:30:02 (as I ran for my second HM!) is a fail compared to 1:29:59.  It's where your head is at that tells you whether you ran a decent race for that course, and I am sure you will with such focused preparation for it.  Best of luck!

Happy injury-free weekend racing and training all!

Nearly back out there Ant and, at a mere fraction of your previous weight, you shall be flying along. image

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Forgot to say I really like the shoes, PMJ. Feedback would be appreciated as I run in Sauconys and cannot find the model I am in back in the UK.  I am (of course!) stocking up, but am also contemplating fall back options of which the Kinvaras is one...

• Options

Good luck Abbers, I did 3 PBs under 1:31 before I finally beat 1:30, and then proceded to take lumps out of it down to 1:24 in the following races. So once you beat it you'll probably push on and end up wondering what the fuss was about image

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJ - and post HM, there's the small matter of England - Wales with my extremely Welsh mother-in-law. Always makes for an entertaining family day! image

PMJ - going well. Not going to comment on the shoes as I'm wearing in a pair of blue Brooks Adrenalines for VLM at the moment. I'm in no position to pass judgement on other's shoe choices!

MsE - thanks. It's all arbitrary, I know, and a mental barrier as both you and BotF allude to. If I can match that progression in the coming months, I'll be extremely happy! Since Oxford, both of last year's efforts were 1:31:xx. Time for a new number. One starting with 1:2x:xx.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Cheers, Abbers. Good luck to you too and Lorenzo.

My HM PB was set 6 years ago (tthe last time I ran a HM image ) and is 6 seconds slower than yours. I need 29 seconds better to did into 1.29. I don't think I've done enough speedwork but we'll see.

I love the colour of those shoes. On Sunday I'll be wearing a brand new pair of Asics GT-2000s that are an identical colour (neon yellow - special edition). They are the second pair I've bought, found them in a sale for £55. Don't understand why people don't like them! imageimage

SB

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - Thumbs up from me re the colour and brand. I have the Kinvara 3's and I've grown to really like them. They are very light but with a bit of cushioning too! Easy mile at 5:26, well done. I am dying to do a mile race as I think  it might be a better distance for me. Have you gone sub 5 for the mile? I would think so, but just curious.

Yes good luck to all the racers this w/end, especially to Abbers and SB, you will both fly, I am sure after all the work you both have been putting in the past few months.image

5k lunch run for me today, avg 6:40 pace, it felt hard for the last k or so but still a semi-decent post holiday lunchrun.

• Options
    Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

PMJ - I am dying to do a mile race as I think  it might be a better distance for me. Have you gone sub 5 for the mile? I would think so, but just curious.

I have but not for many years. I once did 3000 in 9 minutes dead (4:49 per mile!) which is as fast as I got (well, if you ignore 800, 400 and 200 metres, never did 1500). I used to do 5 miles in sub 27:30 and that was a big thing as  5:29.9999 is closer to 5 minute miling than 6 minute miling.

• Options

PMG - Not sure if it's the same for everybody, but Sportshoes provides my running club with a 10% discount code each month. This is working on top of their current 10% off, so really good discounts for the next couple of days.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - 3K & 5 miles at that pace is very tasty indeed. I'd like to aim for 4:59 for the mile.

• Options
    SixJamTarts wrote (see)

PMG - Not sure if it's the same for everybody, but Sportshoes provides my running club with a 10% discount code each month. This is working on top of their current 10% off, so really good discounts for the next couple of days.

Got it to share?

• Options
    Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

PMJ - 3K & 5 miles at that pace is very tasty indeed. I'd like to aim for 4:59 for the mile.

That is surely a good aim. 80% age grading for me is 5:13 and today was 5:27 so 14 seconds off or I have to beat myself by about 70m. Maybe if I don't run 5 miles beforehand, don't do it in marathon training and take it seriously then it is possible. It is definitely going to become a regular on my calendar.