Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Oops. That's me. Logged in under a different name on my phone.

• Options

PMJ - Nice shoes. Bright is good. How do they compare to the Triumphs, are they just much lighter?

Very best of luck to Abbers, Sporty B and Lorenzo this weekend, and to anyone else racing/ LSRing.

• Options
    Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

PMJ - Nice shoes. Bright is good. How do they compare to the Triumphs, are they just much lighter?

Very best of luck to Abbers, Sporty B and Lorenzo this weekend, and to anyone else racing/ LSRing.

I don't think they are a very light shjoe at all, about 207g versus my normal Pegasus at 270g. What impressed me was they fit well and feel, support and look like a normal trainer but are lighter.

• Options

Blimey PMJ, that was a quick mile after a decent warm up. I guess that with shoes that bright you simply HAVE to prove that you can run quickly. It worked for me once, but I can't pull it off now.

• Options

Good going on the mile there PMJ. I presume that your shoes dazzled folks as you went past them.

Thanks for the good wishes Abbers. Good luck with the quest to go sub-90.

Not quite sure what Sunday will hold. On one hand, the weather conditions look darn good, on the other my big toe nail is just about hanging on but whether it'll survive 13.1 miles I don't know. I'll be in my tried and trusted Wave Elixirs which have see me through PBs from 5K to marathon. See you there SB.

4 miles at 6.30am this morning on a fartlek session with younger Lorenzito. Unfortunately he didn't quite get the idea of going nice and easy between the faster bursts so we ended up at an average of 7:15 pace. 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    There should be some good race reports tomorrow. Is this anyone's Jantastic race?

OO - are you fit for Locke 20 tomorrow?
  • Options

Morning all. I've been trying to keep up with reading the posts all week, but no time to post. Some of us are doing some marathon training you know!image

Today is the Inter Counties at Cofton Park. Aim this year - don't get a massive stitch, finish top 200 (I think I was 222 last year, or thereabouts anyway). Literatin and I get to run for the same team for once. 

My hurty foot is still hurty, but the hurty bit has moved from the forefoot to the lateral side much further back. Still baffled. It doesn't hurt when I run though. 

• Options
    Good luck all Ye racers! Hope the weather is kind to you all!

Be good to get close to the predicted times for jantastic's sake.

Happy racing....
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Apologies for the flying visit this morning, but good luck to everyone racing this weekend - should be a good one!
    20 miles for me - first 10 slow (8:34 m/m) and second 10 easy (7:49 m/m). Glad to get through this week unscathed after a bit of a scare at the beginning. Also very pleased to report that I shall shortly be employed once more. Back in IT after all, looking after data security for a company handling NHS data.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

That's  good news on the job front Gul , should mean you get more of a lie-in from now on image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Congratulations on the job front, Gul.

Good luck to Speedy and Lit at the Inter-Counties.  I'm far too slow to even be a reserve for Avon & Somerset this year.

13M including 6 x 1M off 3 mins this morning.  First 5 reps were just under HM pace, which I was pleased with early doors, but died a bit of the death in the final one - gave up a bit when the first 0.33M was into a headwind!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes I'll be there Minni. Awful week with work means I've not done enough again. This showed in a sluggish 18:50 parkrun this morning. But the good news is that the calf seems completely recovered image

• Options

Good news on the job Gul. NHS and IT is surely a place that will respond to improbability drives.

CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

My hurty foot is still hurty, but the hurty bit has moved from the forefoot to the lateral side much further back. Still baffled. It doesn't hurt when I run though. 

Mine did that and Fraser Wells found some medical terms for the bits that helped identify waht it was. anyone hear from Fraser recently?

• Options

Finchley 20 tomorrow as the Jantastic run. Target is 20@MP which is 2:10 but Jantastic says 2:12 as I always try and bank some so if I target 2:10 I will go out faster than MP and I want it to be a hard training run and not a full out race.

• Options

Great news Gul - delighted for you. Is the job somewhere close to home? Good 20 miler as well - love the way that you're describing 7:49 pace as easy. 

Good luck to Speedy and Lit today. 

Minni - yes, tomorrow's race is my Jantastic prediction run. Hope to get a decent result for the team.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I think me and Minni will be rather slower at the Redcar 20 PMJ. 2:15 is the very best I'd hope for.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

3 easy miles today giving me 68 for the week , Seems like everybody has a race tomorrow and I've a local 10k myself so not to feel left out , no taper for this one so no idea how it will go on tired legs. image

• Options

Hi guys, I've not posted here before, but I'm targeting a GFA time at the London Marathon this month - I'm really not sure how possible this is. I've never run the full distance before,so it'll be my first attempt, but I've run 85 minute half marathons very comfortably. So I just thought I'd come here to see if anyone has any last minute training tips to consolidate a 3:05 time. Thanks

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Fantastic news Gul! imageimage

Welcome Jegleston, do you have any more info on your background and current campaign?

Good luck to all if the racers this weekend. Save some matches but above all, nail those Jantastic times. 

2:40 on a hilly bike course for me this morning. No dramas.

• Options

Jegleston, double and add 10 to 15 minutes is a good guide so from 85, 3:05 is possible but you need to have done the miles so it is not a given. As SJ says, what sort of training and background do you have? And by the way, why did you do 85 comfortably when you could have gone harder and faster?

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Congrats on the job, Gul - pleased to hear it. Nice 20 as well.
    I expect Speedy & Lit will be in action as I type, or maybe finished - hope all has gone well.   
    Good luck to tomorrow's racers.
    Hi, Jegs, 3:05 certainly should be comfy from 1:25, but only assuming the miles have been done . . . 
    Speaking of which - 22 today to complete the last long one in this campaign; 8 x 20 - 22 milers done in 12 weeks, so good to get it ticked off.   

• Options

Cheers for the response. I've only been running for just over a year, so I'm struggling to pace myself when it comes to race situations, I guess that comes down to inexperience. The half marathons I mention were training runs, so i didn't have much incentive to really push hard. I say 'comfortable', but I don't know that I could go a lot faster before the pain kicks in - my best (and only) race time at this distance is 1:36 back in June, before I started training seriously. I've got the stafford half next weekend which should give me an idea of how much faster I can go, if at all. Depends a lot on the course I suppose, but sub-1:25 seems more than achievable.

In terms of putting in the miles, I've only run over 20 miles 3 times before, which I didn't time but I was keeping a constant pace not too much slower than my 13.1 mile pace. 

I haven't been following training plan as such (they seem to demotivate me), but since about october I've been averaging about 35 miles per week plus a bit of swimming and cycling on the side. Have I been a little naive by not sticking to something, or does anyone else prefer to just get out there and see how far you run?

• Options

Hope Speedy and Lit got on all right. In the race, I mean, not with each other. Although that as well.

That's excellent news, Gul. Does it mean earlier or later starts for you?

Birch - That is serious miles!

I finally laced up the trainers and got out there today having not run since last Sunday's aborted long run. I did 5 miles in progression, starting at 7:45mm and finishing at 6:45mm. I still felt the niggles but felt much better. I have set 10 miles as tomorrow's target, with some miles @ PMP, but hopefully I'll be up for doing a few more, if all goes well. Even so, I might pay another visit to the fizz midweek, just to iron any problems out. At this stage I feel as if this is manageable - not perfect, but manageable.

Later I will post a pic of the entrecôte steak I fully intend to do justice to for dinner.

Welcome, Jegleson - what the others said!

• Options

Jegleson - x-post - I would say that 35 miles for marathon training is a bit skimpy. You don't necessarily have to follow a Schedule, but it is a question of getting your long run in every week, a médium-long one in midweek and some kind of reps and/or tempo session. How many times are you getting out every week?

• Options

Oh gosh, now I'm starting to get worried! Usually 5/6 times a week - a couple of short runs (2-4 miles), i race cross country most weeks (interval training when there's no race), run about 7 miles with club every week and one or two longer runs at weekends 2x10-15M or a longer run of 18-22 miles. This is in addition to regular triathlon training which should be benefitting fitness wise, am I being a little too ambitious?

• Options

Jegleston, the tri training will help with the overall cardio stuff but the best thing to do is to see how it works out. Best advice I have for you is to sort out a pace plan and stick to it. If you can run 85 easy then there is a temptation to go out to halfway in 85 but that wouldn't be a good plan. Even splits are unrealistic so you need to plan to slow a bit on the second half but not too much so I'd say something like target halfway in 90 (which is about 6% slower than you can do, so should feel easy). Then carry on at the same pace to 20 if possible, so hit 20 in about 2:17 or 2:18, so that leaves about 47 minutes for the last 6 or so at 7:40 pace.

• Options

Jegleston, if you run 3.05 off 35 miles a week and no schedule I'm afraid I'll have to punch you! My first sub 3.05 was off 60 - 85 miles per week!

Notts didn't have a full ladies team today due to late drop-outs, so no pressure on Lit and I. No clue what our positions were yet, but I think we did OK. My left shoe fell apart about 400m in to race when I got stood on jostling for position, so I had to run nearly 5 miles with my foot hanging out of the side of my shoe. Not impressed at all, they were brand new! And I got a massive blister on the other foot. It may turn out for the best though, as I took them back to the shop on the way home and they gave me a refund, and I have a voucher for another running shop from my win last week, so maybe I can find a better fitting pair for next season!

• Options

Jeg- I used to run at that sort of pace and your half p.b is similar to mine. My weekly mileage for races used to be around the 30-35 miles. I used to have problems in the later parts of races probs due to lack of mileage. I now run around 50-55 miles a week and have found the longer runs much easier and faster due to having more miles in the bag. 

I have a lot more faith in being able to beat my p.b this year after following a running plan. Rw sub 3.15.

Mind you, time is against you as you should be starting to taper in a few weeks.

Good luck with the training anyway. Your in the right place for advice!

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Jeg has the advantage of youth though at 18 years old so just needs the beliefe for a 3:05 mara. image