Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    marrows wrote (see)

Londoners! Anyone want to join me for 5x1200m on regent's park track some time on Wednesday? I can nip out from the office at most hours but would need to be done by 6pm.

I have the same 5 x 1200 on Wednesday and reckon I can get to Regents Park in 4.5 miles so it may make the 11mile session a bit long but that is fine by me. I can do any time lunchtime so at the park between 12:30 and 1:30 would be best.

You do know the track there is short, 386.8 metres. Rumour has it that it is an old Roman chariot race course and not lazy workers.

Excellent. I will be at regent's park track 12:30 on Wednesday.  Probably not much point waiting around to start the session simultaneously as I am much slower than you anyway but it will be nice to have company.  Yes I know the track is short! Before I went there the first time I calculated that if I went in lane 3 that should be closest to 400m, then found there are no lane markings. Boo hoo.

Minni.. those are the ones that make you stronger ('as if it were possible!' the crowd say). Well done

I'm not sharing my racing photos from last week - one of them doesn't even look like I am running!

I am starting to think now about caffeine taper as well as running taper - coffee consumption gone up since last marathon so this is a new consideration.

• Options

Minni - oof, that doesn't sound great. Hope the fizz and the roller can work their magic otherwise I don't know what I'm going to do at the start!!

Nice piccies all round with plenty of effort being put in.

Mennania - I think I might take your approach and set off at 3:05 pace and hope I don't implode too soon!

• Options

Yay, I started a photo posting frenzy image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Minni - Chillax, stress and booze do not make for a fast half. You have got the endurance to get round in a fast time and 7:26mm pace on the day will feel a lot easier than yesterday's effort. You will smash it for sure.image

Great photos all round and some very decent times. Congrats on the new pb Speedy, bodes well for your marathon.

TR - Very risky strategy but also very admirable show of strength. As you said, sh1t or bust week. Glad you got through it in one piece.

PMJ - Have you seen Priscah Jeptoo run ( not saying there is a link between you & her) but she defies all the sense regarding so called "good form", there's no doubting your in good nick and you must be feeling good about your VLM prep?

Nice long runs too from Abbers & Menn.

Poacher - I look forward to reading your entertaining reporting skills from the DM room in AFRIKA.

What a bizzare NYC half for Mo eh? Only watched the recording on Eurosport tonight, ridiculous 7:30am start with temp at 0 degrees, Mo shed layers after about 4 miles and then got clipped by another runner, looked like a bad fall too. Good recovery though to get 2nd and who knows he may have given Mutai a decent race had he not fallen. Glad he seems ok though. I still think he has his work cut out at VLM. He wants the Jones's British record but will he be tempted to go with the leading pack and I suspect he will, can't wait to see the outcome.

Awful duathlon run legs for me yesterday, dusty head after Friday's antics and over estimated my ability and constitution to run against other folk who run bike and run. Never mind as it was not a big deal just more of a personal lesson. Back on the horse this week and have 3 weeks to get myself race fit for my nemesis event ......10k!!!!

• Options

What a fantastic, jantastic read back. It is beginning to seem like some major target is just around the corner. Are any of you going to try to complete The Marathon? What, and run ALL THE WAY, without walking? I hope that the sun comes out an you have a nice warm day, it's been a bit chilly of late, they don't seem to wear enough clothes, especially those ladies. (Speedy, take note).

Anyway, despite doing a bit of this, that and the other I even got out for a jog. 6.5 miles in 48 minutes. (7:20m/m). Nice to turn the legs over again, but seriously, I'm badly short of endurance mileage this year. Target remains "complete, not compete".

Weight, despite trying to pee an extra ounce of fluid remained at an ounce over 12 stone. I blame lunch. A nice healthy garage meal deal for £4. Sandwich/crisp/drink. I did a tally of the paperwork and totalled 1000 calories and 25% of daily salt intake.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - yes, first day - went well too. Not long to the tapir now!
    Birch - nice HM to give you a confidence boost. Whereabouts in South Yorkshire was the race?
    Mennania - easy to get carried away.
    Abbers - you may have to take over the thread round-up - nice one! Good long run too.
    Leslie - sounds like tough going - not surprising after the mileage you've been doing.
    Ant - like the photo!
    SB - good luck with the roller.
    Minni - take care - hope a bit of TLC will set you right. BTW It's getting light by the time I finish most days, but BST will soon stop that.
    PMJ, marrows - photo with chariots pls.
    OO - nice 10 miler.
    TR - not surprised your legs are tired!
    Poacher - looking forward to your reports from the gym.
    GM - what's your target for the 10k?
    Blisters - only 1000 calories? I'd ask for a refund.
    14 mile progressive this morning - but kept a lid on it. 8:59 to 7:15 m/m.

• Options

marrows wrote (see)

Excellent. I will be at regent's park track 12:30 on Wednesday.  Probably not much point waiting around to start the session simultaneously as I am much slower than you anyway but it will be nice to have company.  Yes I know the track is short! Before I went there the first time I calculated that if I went in lane 3 that should be closest to 400m, then found there are no lane markings. Boo hoo.

Sounds good, see you at 12:30. I will be in a dayglo green top with Marlow 5 on it.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Sporty B - Think we're just at that stage with long LSRs, high mileage weeks; looking forward to the taper to freshen up.

Minni - sorry to hear about your HM experience. I know how disappointing a bad race can be; but as others have said, there are plenty of mitigating circumstances, and there's a bigger picture to consider. You don't look like you're struggling too much in the photo though!

OO51 - going along nicely. If you've run Paris 4 times, what are the attractions vs London?

TR - feels like it's coming along for me, MK HM notwithstanding, but I've got nothing to compare it with, so just going with it! Your aerobic engine will see you round in good order, as long as your legs play ball. Will make it all the more satisfying to keep your streak going in adverse circumstances.

Poacher - more gym antics - excellent! image

GM - 10K PB on the cards?

Gul - glad you had a good 1st day in your new job. Another impressive progressive run from you too. There's always room for a round up! Feels a bit wrong not to acknowledge posts & training/racing efforts.

Blisters - back in the trainers. Afletes need calories & salt you know image

Hill reps on the plan for me at lunch. Ugh.

• Options

Gul - good news on Day 1. I trust you're back for some more!

Look forward to hearing some more great gym stories from you Poacher!!

Minni - how are you feeling today? Has the rolling made any difference?

Pleasing run for me this morning. Plan was a 8-9 mile progressive building from MP+20s to MP but after a mile warm up I thought I'd just run at what I thought was MP and see what came out.

Including the warm up, I ended up with 8.4 miles at an average pace of 7:06, including the last two miles at 6:49 and 6:54. The effort was possibly a bit over MP effort, but happy with that nevertheless.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice going Lorenzo, solid final couple of miles too.

Used the roller last night and this monring and the thighs feel better. No issues with stairs or inclines while walking so will attempt a 5 miler at MP (7.25) today.

My legs pop, fizz and twinge all the time right now, so I need to take it fairly easy. I'm bringing my long run of the week (14 miles) forward to Thursday night to build in more rest time going into taper week 2.

A few folks at work have started to go down with colds. I'm getting weird looks as I sit here at my desk in a WW2 gas mask... image

SB

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Gul - cut'n'paste from "Events" - race starts/finishes at Dearne Valley Leisure Centre at Goldthorpe (Nr Doncaster) - A fairly low key race. Its a mixture of town and rural (2 laps) with 3 significant inclines. The wind seemed to hinder
    progress up at least 2 of them this year.  As with many of the smaller
    events, it is dominated by club runners but was welcoming non-the-less. A fair assessment. 
    Nice 14 btw, you seem to be in great form currently; likewise Lorenzo
    SB, were you waving the roller around in celebration after last night's great victory?

11 easy pace this morn - legs a bit tired

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - If you asked me the same question two months ago I would have said low 39 but the way I am feeling at the mo 39:59 will do. Congrats on your new job hope it all goes well and you settle in quickly.

Abbers - Hmmm I am not sure, tbh it's my worst distance and the last few attempts have been hampered by very strong headwinds, I have run 18:46 for 5k but never officially gone under 40 for a 10k.

Lorenzo - Nice run there, looking good.image

SB - Take it easy and I hope you manage to dodge the malaise.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Birch: Get In!! I wasn't going to mention it but now you've brought it up  image...What a win for Woking!
    Luton Town were unbeaten in 27 games and are romping the Conference Premier League. Just 2 weeks ago they were the most in-form senior football team in Europe with Bayern Munich in second spot!!
    For us to go there and inflict only their 3rd defeat of the season was superb. In front of over 6600 fans and live on TV too.

So proud of my boys! We're now pretty much safe from relegation and only 6 points off the play-offs. happy days! image

Right, off for that 5 miler at MP...Pumped!!

SB

• Options

Wish I'd spotted this forum sooner.

I'm running Brighton for the third year. I'm going for 3:15 this year but I honestly don't know if I'll make it. I've got a 3:20 in me I think.

I haven't raced since early January when I ran an club XC race (Raced throughout winter until that point). Wearing spikes all the time seriously damaged my Achilles.

I've taken it easy and it seems to have cured my problem.

As for training, I've been doing 50-53 miles per week. A good few LSRs, including a slightly quicker 22 miles at 7:36 pace. I wish I'd raced a half but its too late now.

I've been knocking out a few 11 miler undulating runs at 7:25 pace this last week, but I wouldn't say with ease.

Fingers crossed for a good run on the day. Good luck all.

• Options

Burton if you can do a 22 mile training run @ 7:36 then sub 3:15 in a actual race should be well within your reach.

Last year my 20+ runs averaged 8:00 m/m ish and got 3:12 in a trail marathon, this year average 7:45 and going for sub 3:00 and I am told I run my LSR to fast!

I guess it depends on stamina and that might have taken a knock if you have not been able to put in 5 or more 20+ LSR.

Good Luck

• Options

I've only done 3 x 20+ LSRs. Was doing another last Friday but had a dreadful run, one where you just know its going to be horrible from the off. I packed in at 15 drained.

I'm hoping the race day atmosphere will give me that extra spark.

Winding down now, and certainly pleased for it.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Well that didn't go according to plan - but in a positive way.

Legs felt SO much better than yesterday. Ran with a colleague who is doing the Rome marathon on Sunday. As I mentioned, it was supposed to be a 7.25 paced 5 miler but my pal fancied running on feel. I'm quicker than and his feel pace didn’t feel that bad to me, I was happy to go a tad quicker and we chatted most of the way,

Averaged 7.02 pace which was too quick for the planned session but at the same time felt so easy.
    I’m over the moon to be honest, yesterday the 8.20 first mile in my recovery run seemed like such an effort as my legs were so stiff after recent runs.

Just goes to show the value of a recovery run and foam roller session.

SB

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - yes it seems to be working, or at least its painful enough to assume its working!  Don't worry I'll be there on the Green start to keep you company!

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Nice running from Lorenzo, Sporty B & Birch.

GM - with 3 weeks of good training to go, that sub-40 should be yours for the taking off an 18:46 5k. Hope the wind relents this time!

Welcome Burton Gaz. Not that I know much about this marathon malarky, but I would echo what running eye has said - if you can run 22 @ 7:36 in training (I've been nowehere near that pace for an LSR and have a roughly similar target to you), and then do "a few" 11 milers @ PMP this week, then either a) you're capable of going well under 3:15 or b) you're doing your LSRs too fast. Still, a couple of taper weeks should see you fresh for race day, so good luck!

8 including 13 x hills done & dusted.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Well done all the racers image

Minni-thats the spirit green start for you , one bad race ,we have all had them.image

Burton- as said 22 miles at virtually 3:15 pace you should be well in .

Abbers-nice hill repeats.

After feeling knackered last 2 days I got some energy and tried a p&d style 11 miler with 7 at threshold , splits were : 6:37, 6:35, 6:36, 6:41, 6:27, 6:46, 6:49.

It was getting tough at the end (understatement)image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Nice easy 5k @ 7:30 pace today on lunch, bit of a loosener in prep for my 5k pacing duties tonight. Bit windy out there though.

Burton Gaz  - Hi and welcome. You sound like you got some pace in your legs and doing 50ish mile weeks sounds good too and as Abbers said, with a decent taper 3:15 sounds like a realistic target.

Abbers - We'll see, but hope you are right or I will be most unhappy!image

SB - Liking your positive vibes!

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

TR - I recall you said you run in Saucony Triumph's. Sportsshoes.com have the Triumph 10's on sale for £59.99, see below. I originally found them a bit different from the 9's but have grown to like them and they are lighter than the 9's too but very cushioned .

/members/images/612983/Gallery/SAU1941_400_1.jpg

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

The fastest 22-miler I have ever done was 7.45m/m (and that was on a flat route in good conditions).  At the time my marathon pb was 3.05 and is now 2.59.  I'm pretty sure the 23-miler I did pre-2.59 wasn't even sub 8m/m!

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

A pal I run with has a PB of 3.15.02 (ouch! So close!). In that race he cramped up in the last few miles which cost him, just, the 3.15 he targeted. This had never happened in training.

Last year in Paris he cramped again in the race but even worse this time and did well to make 3.18. Again, no show of this in training.

I had a look at his long runs and all of them were too fast. His final 20 miler (of which he did 6) was done at 7.24 pace. His other runs were also of similar pace, getting progressively quicker as the campaign went on.

He was massively fatigued and didn't know it. Stupidly, I was doing these with him in the early part of the Paris campaign last year and I got badly injured after the second one. That was actually a blessing. The rest of my campaign was one of rescue what I could and I just about managed a 3.23 PB.

So, the warning is if the LSRs are close to race pace/capability, there could be trouble ahead. If the quicker time is comfy, then sub 3.15 should be a no brainer.

My strategy this year has been to ensure all LSRs are done slowly (well over 8 min/miles); time on feet sessions. My top 5 runs add up to 99.4 miles. PMJ gave me some good advice early on and it's been a big help.

SB

• Options

Loving the photos of everyone! Hope I get some shots to share at some of my races this year. Although I mostly look like the running dead! Ha

W/UP 7X800 C/D. RPE 8-9 I RECKON. felt quick!

• Options

So yesterday I did

Distance:    7.46 mi
    Time:    14:22
    Avg Pace:    1:56 min/mi

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/462781664

but maybe it is a software error and not a new world record image

All,

It is apparent that the fix we put in place last Friday for the issue where Garmin Connect was not taking into account the stop time when calculating Time and Average Pace resulted in some type of new issue. This we are sure is frustrating you and we apologize for this new issue that has cropped up. We will work to get this issue fixed as soon as possible and this announcement will be updated when we have a fix in place. Thanks for your patience.

• Options

Good effort Lorenzo

Burton - Your schedule sounds like pretty much what I've been following, so I hope (for my sake really image ) you have a 3:15 in you.

SB - Great running. Might have to get myslef a foam roller.

Abbers - great hill reps! 13 sounds tiring!

LH - Flying!

Had a 9 miler today so I thought it was a good time to gauge MP. Went slightly quicker at 7:19s but felt nice and comfortable. My average heart rate was 84% though which sounds a bit high doesn't it? I have nothing to compare it to though. Had a high mileage week last week though and a tough 22m on Sunday so maybe not the best day to test.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

GM - I got a pair for that price somewhere else recently, first time I've had some 10s. They seem smaller and I'm not sure I like them at the mo. I need to find a pair of version 9s for VLM, my current ones have 500+ on them and I'd rather wear a newer pair, lathough need time to break them in.

Slight set back calf wise today, was always going to happen playing the sort of games I've been playing in the last week.