Sub 3h15

Comments

• Hey Guys

Someone mentioned the forum yesterday at Brighton, so thought I'd say a quick hello. Think we did ok, my other pacer was pushing things a bit, but don't think we were ever more that 3 secs per mile ahead of pace. Some of the mile markers were way off (11m was at least 600 meters off) which made it tricky, so happy enough considering. Definitely not a negative split, came in about 35 seconds ahead at half way and then second half was pretty much 1:30 dead on, so I ran back and shouted at a few more people. If any of you are doing London, see you at the green start - 3.15 again

D

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Great reports - inspiring to read about all the individual adversities faced down and overcome during the course of 26.2(ish) miles.

In more mundane news, the taper continues here with a gentle 4 miles in the damp at lunch.

• David Hellard wrote (see)

Hey Guys

Someone mentioned the forum yesterday at Brighton, so thought I'd say a quick hello. Think we did ok, my other pacer was pushing things a bit, but don't think we were ever more that 3 secs per mile ahead of pace. Some of the mile markers were way off (11m was at least 600 meters off) which made it tricky, so happy enough considering. Definitely not a negative split, came in about 35 seconds ahead at half way and then second half was pretty much 1:30 dead on, so I ran back and shouted at a few more people. If any of you are doing London, see you at the green start - 3.15 again

D

Hi David. It was me (the guy with the awful looking black sweatband on my head) who mentioned you were recommended on the forum (quite a way back now, I can't remember who recommended you, I'll see if I can find it)! Thank you very much yesterday. First time I had run with a pacer and found it a very pleasant experience. The constant feed back was really good mentally and not Garmin watching constantly was great.

I was running with you guys until about mile 21, then I felt my legs go, so I took your advice and sprinted for as far as I could, It worked! Managed to stumble over the line in 3.13.36. What time did the group get over the line?

Thanks again!

Simon

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I mentioned David when he paced the Surrey half a few weeks ago. He was very good but due to crowd congestion had to run a negative split which blew me out.

David: I was impressed with your pace management for the brief miles I spent with you running from Guildford to Woking. I did 1.31 on the day but look forward to you dragging me to my first sub-90 next March. image

Cheers

SB

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's a great report SJT- I'm, sure we all know those emotions but few have encountered them to that extent. And I'm never gonna ask if I can sleep on your floor image

SB & Birch, those are really great effort too.

Lorenzo- no target for London but I guess in the range of 3:05 to 3:15 is likely.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Usually I'm good at predicting my runs but yesterday's run remains a bit of a mystery.

I lined up with 2 guys from the Paris thread both aiming for sub-3. I started on plan, 3 hour pace willing to drop back if it felt too hard. They both took off and I didn't see them until mile 7 and 14. At 7 first the first one came back to me like a stone and ended up with a 3:29. The second cam back at 14, I actually slowed for a bit to keep him company (mistake). Went through 13 in 1:29:40. from halfway through to 16 slipped the pace. Nothing dramatic but several around 7 min mark. I didn't fight it, I was still comfortable and well ahead of my 3:05 target. Then a funny thing happened. I thought there were 2 three hour pacers. 1 was always ahead, the second past me at around 9 miles. Then at 15 I heard the crowd shouting 'come on 3 hour guys'. I was confused until I realised pace man number 3 was behind me. At 15 miles this pacer was looking at lot less impressive, his following smaller and more shabby than the other two. Don't know why but I decided none of these guys were bettter than me or looked capable of more, so I just stuck with them. The miles passed, 6:50, 6:52 etc. No pain completely comfortable. Mental maths going on to work out if sub 3 was still on. Through 20 then 22, expecting the familiar wall to arrive at any moment- it didn't. Then at 23 I suddenly realised it was tight on time and this group was too slow. Without a second thought I dropped them, raised the pace, 6:38, 6:40. Slight familiar twinge in thigh- don't push too hard or it might cramp. 25 miles, suddenly I'n catching pacer no.2 then I'm past him. Feels like I'm the only positive runner left, effortlessly moving forward, like a hot knife through butter- nobody is passing me. Then the shock, turn for the finish on Ave. Foch at 26 miles, look at the watch, it's seconds away from 3 hours. I've blown it- I'm totally confused how, I thought I had it. I can't be disappointed for long, I feel good, the best finish I can remember- probably the best marathon of my life. I cross the line. Legs are fine, I'm fine. What happened there, it's hard to really grasp. All I can say is that I was in a good place, No stress, no pressure and clearly in much better shape than I thought. Few people got PB's y/day, few are happy with the race, the conditions etc. For me a great time and a great day, no complaints. I have to be happy.      

And yes Minni- the shirt was off image

• SJT That's awesome. Had only ready about the sprinting strategy, never actually tried it out, so great to hear that it works in practice (although having read your report seems like a hard way to go) will definitely mention you as a shining light at the 18mile mark next week. The group came in at about 3:14:40, but I went back to try and shout  some people over the line, left it a bit late and ended up sprinting over with another runner in 14:56, even did a dip image

SB Watford is a pretty tough course to do a first sub-90 as due to the course you're going to have to do a negative split or you'll be burning up too much energy on the hills. Not sure when my next pacing half is, but will probably be doing ealing in the autumn, so maybe see you there.

What makes London great is that the mile markers are exact so you can pace incredibly accurately, should be fun

D

• TRTR ✭✭✭

OO - impressive control there, you still have more sub3 attempts in you yet.

Birch - i like your wall of death words, great report, really great to see you finishing another marathon. Lots of folks spend a lot of time agonising over target times, paces, splits etc but its bigger than that, and its about being there in the trenches, being the best you can be on the day..............I've had a very strange campaign with February ruined marathon training wise by Flu and its recovery and being on the wrong end of the work/life/running balance this campaign (and is still wrong now). Slight worry as I had to get bigger shoes (as the latest model of the ones i use came up too small and were beating my toes up), and now the tendons etc in the bottom of my feet are sore, I guess due to the different placement of the cushioning etc 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    David - are you pacing from the Green start? I'm thinking of running without a garmin so that might be good.....

OO - great report. You sound so strong at the end. image at shirt off!!!image
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

TR- just made the point on the Pars thread, although many things come together for a great race, no marathon campaign is trouble free. I hope you, like me overcome what look like problems but turn out to be minor bumps in the road.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Err, somewhat annoyed over here. Just checked official results and it shows a 2:55:27 result. I ran under the finish clock at 2:54:55 and my watch is 10 secs less, which is what it took to get over the Start line. Not happy.

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Well done for toughing it out KR.  You were right to go for it if you are thinking it may be your last.  Enjoy some stress free running through the summer.

Excellent PBs SB, Rich26 & SJT.  Well done and a great report SJT.  Brings back memories of how I felt when I finished my first marathon.

Fingers crossed you get the leg sorted quickly Jase and get to use your training.

Brilliant report Birch and a great race for you.  Wear that Boston shirt with pride!

Great report OO.  Pity about just missing the sub-3 but sometimes it is good to enjoy a race.  After all, running is suppossed to be fun!!

Last toughish run for me this morning.  10x200m reps at ave 5.15 pace with a MP mile (6.11) to follow.  Now for cotton wool and to be anti-social and steer clear of people at work.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Birch - cracking report. I read it, re-living the Manchester experience. I think that Manchester is a brilliant race & a real alternative to London, if it's a city marathon that you're after. It's caused me a slight dilemma, as I was determined to get a London gfa, my previous one having lapsed in 2013. Manchester is only an hour away and the whole weekend was much less stressful than a big expensive trip down to London.

OO51 - brilliant Paris time & great report. Your time is a real inspiration. A great determined effort.

TR - hope everything comes together for you for the VLM weekend.

Legs ok today. Much better than usual, which I've put down to doing all my 20+ milers on trails and hills for this campaign
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

OO - excellent report - " great day, no complaints. I have to be happy." 
    My sentiments also - well said . . .

TR - a very compromised campaign for you, but you got on with it and did some big miles in a short period; you can reflect on this facing down of adversity as you "chug" image down Birdcage Walk on Sunday for a well earned continuation of the streak  . . . .

• Awesome reports folks. I'm getting nervous now!

• https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/10157401_10203643869321334_6318706583001171876_n.jpg

Yay, evidence of me 'beating' Hannah England! image

• Go speedy! You got her worried there! Good for you! Cracking photoimage

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Speedy - That's a brilliant photo! Keeping good company!

Menn - That's very annoying!image

Birch - Loved your report and how you philosophise about the whole thing.

OO - Great report too and sounds like you defo have another sub 3 effort in you.

TR - I hope the shoe issue doesn't play on your mind too much.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Menn I understand your concern, if they make your time any slower you'd have on your shoulder image 

• My goal at Brighton was 3:15 and I was bang on target until 25.74 miles where I blacked out and collapsed. DNF.

Ran a perfect run up until that point. I still have no idea or recollection of what happened but I'm fine.

Congratulations to all Brighton/Manchester finishers and especially those who achieved their goal. Well done (I'll have a read back through the forum later).

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Blimey Gaz! Glad to hear you're OK. So close to the finish too. Just goes to show how hard we push ourselves in this running lark. Analyse the run, see if there are any clues as to what happened and nail it next time. Easier said than done I guess as you say it was going very well to that point.

Take care.

SB

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I wouldn't just be analysing the run, Gaz, I'd get to the doctor and ask for some blood tests and an ECG. This happened to me at the Robin Hood half last year, and although they didn't end up finding anything wrong with me it was a huge relief to have ruled out all the serious and obvious things.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gaz-that's terrible news and so close too , A checkup as said would do no harm but Its probably just one of those things .

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Glad you're ok, Gaz.  Sounds like a pretty frightening experience...  Agree with the advice to get a check-up just in case.  Take care!

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Bet you wish you'd been wearing one of these, Gaz:

/members/images/473351/Gallery/Screen_Shot_2014-04-08_at_09.59.42.png

Best wishes and glad to hear you are OK!

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Birch – Great report and sorry for X-posting it in half!

OO – Another great report

Speedy – Fantastic photo! That’s a keeper.

Gaz- Yikes that’s scary. Check-up time for sure

12 miles for me this morning including the middle 10 in just under 1:06 which is 6:36 m/m. I’m using Steve Way’s 100k training plan from last year as a rough guide for my training now. He’s just over a minute a mile faster than me at the shorter distances so easy to follow. 

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Gaz - What the others have said; always worth getting an incident like that checked out professionally. Probably a product of pushing hard for a long period and your body rebelling, but get yourself along to the docs to make sure it's not a warning of something more significant.

Menn - how annoying! Worth a note to the organisers?

OO - great that it felt so "easy" in the last few miles. I'd much rather have that experience than a last few miles of pain & misery!

Speedy - exulted company you keep in your races these days image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Yes Gaz, I should also have said go get checked out.
    It happened to me during a football match once. Completely blacked out for no reason. When I came round I thought I must have been elbowed or something but I was alone when I went down.

Got checked out at the Doc's and it was just a blood sugar level thing and a one-off incident.
    Getting checked out at least gave me peace of mind. as others have said, you should do the same.

SB

• Thanks all. I'm booked in to see a doctor later today. The medics on Sunday were brilliant from what I remember. I had an ECG in the medical tent and blood tests. My potassium levels were very high apparently.

Funny re. the Garmin t-shirt as I did stop my watch when I came around. Bet the medics thought I was an idiot. LOL.

Now I know I'm alive though I couldn't be more gutted. I wanted 3:15 and not 3:15+.

• Next time Gaz! hope your fine! we do push ourselves without really noticing as we are soooo determined!!