Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    That sounds exciting Birch and a start to the new year. image
  • Options
    Rich wrote (see)

PMJ- How do you feel about the segments on Strava? Your aware of where the segments on your route are and almost tempted to up your pace for that section of your run. I've already seen myself doing this on a short section near my house. Also I put in a few segments myself and found loads of other runners in my area I've never seen before. That guy was maybe on his Bike? I noticed a few guys doing 3:xx mm clearly hitting the wrong sport! 

I like segments but there are some oddities. I work in London and so a lot of my runs are near my office, up and down the Thames and round the parks, and so the segments there are widely used and widely raced, so a lot of 10ks and half marathons with serious front end runners doing low 5.xx miles so I don't have any records on my popular segments. I also travel a lot on business and use segments to plan new routes in unknown locations so often will bag a course record in some backwater. I do get emails every so often telling me my CR has gone and if it is obviously a guy on a bike (widely different mile speeds and miles sub 5.00) so I flag it, but this time it wasn't: genuine silly Japanese marathon runner.

I did actually target a segment near my home and got the CR today. Knocked David Blackman off #1 spot and last year he was ranked #1 in the UK over 600 at V45 so nice scalp. To be fair,  I know him and he was doing a tempo that day, but a CR is a CR ...

• Options

PMJ- good scalp indeed! well done on your CR. 

nice out and back 13 miler for me today, weekly mileage 36. Getting higher and still not injured! magic image

Hope you all had a great LR day.

• Options

Birch - well done on the 20 miler in testing conditions.

14m for me today bringing up 41m for week 1 of my VLM training.  Didn't feel too bad so will probably try a 17 miler next week.

What is the consensus on Garmin Connect vs Strava?  Do people tend to use one or other or both to record and analyse training?  I just have the free Strava package.  Is the premium version worth bothering with?

• Options
    GerardM wrote (see)

Lit - Nice to hear from you again, how is life going up in Fife? Have you got any pre VLM races lined up or are you just sticking to purely marathon training? -2mins = sub 2:55 for VLM?

Hi GM! Life in Fife is splendid, if a bit bloody windy. And dark. I've entered Alloa half, though won't be targeting it for a PB, and will do the Scottish national xc in Feb. My new club has lots of speedy women, which is very good, and some of them are doing VLM too, which is even better. I don't have a specific VLM target but am definitely better at running than I used to be.

• Options

I won't be seeing you for dust by the sounds of it Lit!

18 in the wind (but not the ridiculous gusts of yesterday) brings up 61 miles for week one of marathon training. I really did not enjoy yesterday's XC, although apparently I ran a faster pace than I did at the County Champs where I felt great. It was a little bit shorter though. 

GE - I just signed up to Strava and I don't really understand it, but it collects the data from Garmin Connect so surely you have to have both? Speaking of Strava though, if you link your Strava to bounts you earn points towards vouchers for supermarkets, Boots, B&Q and other stuff. It's free, you just earn points for doing exercise that you would have done anyway. If you fancy it the website ishttps://bounts.it/registration?getme100points=charlton1196 and if you sign up using that link we both get bonus points.  I so need some extra cash right now so the supermarket vouchers are going to be really useful!

• Options

Gul - the rest day was much needed, well done on making your jantastic miles image

Lorenzo- nice weekly miles 

Birch- good 20 and a bit 

PMJ- nice scalp but no doubt someone will be watching and planning to beat it already image

Rich- good week then

RFJ- nice parkrun

BI- is that 20 quid? get in there image

GE- nice 14

LIteratin-welcome back good, to hear you are even faster now 

CC2-good windy 18'er

After nightshift before bed..., 3 warmup, 5 hard (sub LT as some say as I cant hit LT just yet image), 1 and a bit cooldown was a bit windy and I struggled a bit but hit the numbers ok image

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Some good long runs gone in well done Birch (20), Speedy (18), GoldenEagle (14), Rich (13)

Planned 90 mins for me end up being 99 mins and 12m - happy with that.

Take care

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    10miles for me today. Had to stop at 5miles to dip my head under a tap and soak my shirt in water. A few walking breaks later on. To be fair is was about 30C.

Yes 20 quid for all that analysis.

I think that's 33 for the week - must try harder
  • Options

Speedy- just joined bunts, earned you 100 points. 

Got the sub 3:15 group set up on strava if anyone fancies joining?

http://www.strava.com/clubs/Sub195onRW

everyone in the group is destroying me by mileage! gives me something to build on I guess. 

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Rich  - Nice one for the Strava incentive! I recently set up an account but I have never used it but will make an effort to, as there seems to be quite a few who do, even here!

Lit - Excellent news! Sounds like you're in good company up there!! Good luck with the xc nationals, the Alloa half, and please keep us posted with your build up to VLM.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

20 miles here but at plod pace. Almost 3 hours of running, and 50 miles in my first vlm training week. Legs feel trashed, I had forgotton that feeling.

• Options

Lorenzo - nice tally.
    Birch - well done on the 20.5 miler.
    Rich - good progress.
    GE - sounds like a promising start.
    Speedy - great first week.
    Leslie - never sure if sub LT is faster or slower than threshold!
    RFJ - nice 12 miler.
    Bike It - 30C?! I struggle when doing nothing at that temperature let alone running! So have you booked yourself in yet?
    OO - plod is fine  certainly at this stage.
    10 miles, inc. a few strides, @ MP + 6%. Still not 100% but feeling OK. Spent 8 hours browsing for a holiday cottage yesterday - more or less settled on one and it's next door to Gull's Way image

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

nice one, OO - "trashed legs"  - and another campaign begins  . . . . . . .

apposite choice of holiday location, Gul(l) . . . . . .
    (and well bagged session whilst still under par)

Minni - tks ! 

4 easy yesterday completed a 55 mile week, began this week with a steady 8 (still pretty windy here)

• Options

Last two weeks have been 46.92 and 46.99. Not supposed to go over 50 miles for a few weeks but think I may do so this week. P&D have me down for 2 rest days, 2 recovery and 3 sessions but will probably have 1 rest and 3 recovery to hit Jantastic 6.

17 miles this morning, like to get the long one done. P&D style, so out at 8:10 average (69 minutes, MP + 12%) and 7:47 back (66 minutes, MP + 7%). Wind did help a but with mostly headwind out and mostly tailwind back but definitely felt a lot harder than the freestyle 17 I did earlier which was mainly even pace and slowed towards the end. 54 miles in the last 6 days.

The Consistently Consistent sub-3:15 team on Jantastic looks to be ticking along with one exception who will remain nameless but this is her avatar, so if this is you, please log your sessions in the next 18 hours.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/46278/meadows-half-036.jpg

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Some good runs from many over the weekend. Too many to single out, so well done all but comiserations to PMJ on the Japanese CR loss. image

Had my LSR first thing on Saturday morning. 17 windy and wet miles at 8.19 pace. A grim plod but job done. Interesting finish. Found myself runnig and vomiting for the last couple of hundred yards. Was at a dinner party the night before and forgot I was running the next day. Was a very good boy on the beer  front (only one) but accidentally had two full meals which included loads of rice. Felt very bloated in the run and for some reason I took on extra carbs in the form of a gel at 10 miles.

Had a massive hunger pang at 16 miles, had a sip of Lucozade and that seemed to trigger the vomiting. Nothing came up but I managed to continue running while wretching which seemed to confuse the locals as I got some pretty strange looks. image Lesson learned.

Was fine immediately after and since. Did a 6.3 miler today at 7.16 pace in more wind and rain. It's not funny any more! image

GD

• Options

G-Dawg and his meal loss reminded me that I got cut short on my 17 miler this morning. Luckily it was outside the gents at Richmond, so I popped in to loose some weight. Checked all available cubicles (as you do to ensure you get the best one with paper) and saw a very scruffy man apparently asleep in the last. Did my business and washed but he was still there, so checked him and he was conscious and he asked the time of day. Odd, for the 21st century, that people still feel the need to do such when so much is on offer to the homeless. Guess it is just another example of the poor state of our mental health system.

• Options

PMJ- he maybe just felt at home in the Public toilet cubicle?? image He probably has a one bed flat somewhere, just forgotten where! Some strange people lurking these days.image

• Options

Gul - sub LT is slower than Lt, mine is around 6:35(10 mile pb pace) so 20 secs slower is what I ran the 5 mile hard at ,It felt hard enough anyway, sounds like you are on the mend.

Birch - good mileage week.

PMJ- over 50 mile week is where its at.

G-Dawg- nice carb over-loaded 17.

10.5 miles this morn with some very strong winds along the river and horizontal rain ..nice image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Haha ..... Sorry PMJ, been away for the weekend and forgot but done it now! I did a swim too but hadn't put that as one of my targets. image
  • Options

All done now, week 1 100% for all. First 4 weeks is easy.

• Options
    TR wrote (see)
    However i will add that im not sure how the plan works though when you are doing the paces slower than your actual mp, so the running you are calling mp isnt actual mp its how fast you intend running on the day.

I can't see how this matters. Let's call it PMP: planned marathon pace. The clear statement we can make is that nobody does a training run that is 26@PMP and in P&D there is no over length run.

So the basis of P&D is that you can run 26.2@PMP without ever running 26.2 miles at any pace. This is done, as with pretty much all other plans, by training your body in a way that simulates a lot of the marathon, so e.g. this week should be 10 with 5@HMP on Weds, 11 Thursday and 17 Sunday. Each of these builds on the last, so you get used to running on tired legs. This means the 17 is not 17 and thus 9 short of a marathon, but starts out with your legs feeling like they have done a good few miles already, so you get the triggers as if you are running the end of a marathon without doing so. I will juggle the run order but the same effect, so did 17 today, will do 13 on Wednesday and 10 Sat.

I am sure my body will get the hint and go away and start making changes and that is what training is. I don't think it matters what pace you set out, the plan basically simulates marathon running at an arbitrary pace and so prepares the body to do a marathon at that pace. yes, my PMP is less than I am capable but I will do the run at PMP and the plan will allow my body to achieve it.

I think the crucial fact is that this is all a smooth continua. It isn't like I need an extra leg and only training at true MP will make the extra leg grow. Some things do have these singularities, so e.g. aircraft to break the speed of sound, hydrofoils to go from submerged to planing etc, but running is a continua.

• Options

Nice one Rich! I signed up to the Strava group in return but I'm still finding my feet on there.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Evening all,

I have hopefully just signed up / requested to join the Strava Group

30  ins easy today for me, 46.2m last week

Take care all

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    PMJ - indeed, I understand how p and d works. I was just trying to make the point that you are saying mp but its the planned pace you intend to run on the day, so that differs from your actual potential mara effort, meaning you are actually running slower than potential mp when you say mp and therefore training at a lower effort than the plan calls for. However havibg said that, you will be fine as the paces you have been running have been quicker than paces I run at and I'd still be aiming sub 2:55. As we know I like saving matches and training easier rather than harder esp in marathon training, so maybe you have just found the magic bullet with a lower intensity p and d !
  • Options

I'm glad I'm not following the P&D plan - sounds rather complicated!

Well done Jantastic team - if anyone knows how the scoring system works, please enlighten me as I can't fathom out how Mrs L's team has a higher score than TCCSTFT when we're at 100%!!

2 x 4.75 miles commuting runs today - I was a tad wet when I got on the train. Takes me to 100 miles for January already. image

• Options

Leslie - a good 68 mile week there!

RFJ - good double there on Saturday, I like doing XC but wouldn't say I'm a big fan as the mud makes you run in a completely different way.

Brilliant 20.5 miler Birch and weekly total too! Real life is better than virtualimage

I'm intrigued by all this P&D talk PMJ. I think with a good build up of base miles & consistent training you'll be in good form for your 3.10 target. Interesting point made by TR about what MP miles are now and what they should be. If you did your MP miles like you would as if you were going for a sub 3 (or close to 2.50) surely that would be more true of your ability?

Rich, just tried joining the Strava group but a problem with Garmin Connect at the moment.

Nice 20 miler OO-52

Good Omen I hope on your holiday cottage Gul - 10 miles at nearly MP is a good session, particularly if still 100%

You painted a very vivid picture with your technicolour yawn run G-Dawg

Managed a very windy 18 miler on Saturday and the 4.5 mile recovery run yesterday took me up to 51 for the week. First time over 50 miles in 8 months!

• Options

Oh yeah...you folks are getting it DONE! Nice training one and all.

PMJ, I get it. You're dialed in on a good approach. Nice explanation of the P&D cause/effect BTW.

Well today it was in the upper 20s and big fat snow flakes were falling as I got 10M in. Felt absolutely balmy!! What a nice day to be out. Tonight it fall to -8 F againimage Oh well, take what you can get when you can get it.

BTW, I got bit by a German shepherd today. Just in the final steps of my run and the owner has the huge pooch w/lots of the extendable lead extended. We were hemmed in by a wall on one side and a hand rail on the other. Now I love dogs and looked this one thinking, no way it'll bite cause she's played out so much line. In a flash that dog was on my arm. But thank goodness for 3 layers of gear on my arm so no flesh torn. But I did tear into the owner's proverbial a$$.

Been working on increasing my cadence off/on the past year. Focused heavily on it this past week during my easy cut back efforts. Pleasing results...first time something seems to have clicked in my head...all week have been about 86/87 steps/minute (or 172/174 for both legs). Normally I'm around 82/83 for easy stuff and upper 80s on MP or faster. Thinking this could pay some returns down the line.

• Options

Birch - good week's work.
    PMJ - my schedule has me doing over 60 each week now except for cut-back and taper.
    GD - nice running - hang on in there, the weather must surely improve eventually.
    Leslie - horizontal rain is very difficult to dodge, isn't itimage
    Lorenzo - we can't be at 100%, can we?
    KR - good mileage.
    VTr - I've tried counting my cadence and usually comes out in the low 170s, but I'm convinced counting alters it in any case.
    MLR today and turned out as an accidental progressive: = 4M @ MP + 26%; = 5M @ MP + 19%; = 5M @ MP + 10%. Total of 14M @ 8:37 m/m. Too early to log this week's Jantastic runs, I think image

• Options

It seems that putting brackets round the splits has made them not display! So here they are again: 9:19, 9:17, 9:11, 9:04, 8:49, 8:48, 8:45, 8:44, 8:29, 8:13, 8:11, 8:03, 7:55, 7:47.