Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Yes, SlokeyJoe I'm a bit concerned but I'll just have to see how it goes.

Gave up the contract game in 2000 due to IR35, in the uk that is.  Been back 3years as a good staff man.image

• Options

PMJ - good final long run. I only fuel before running on race day and usually find the previous night's meal is enough. Noticed the change to the Jantastic rule too - should please the sandbaggers!
    GM - pleased to hear you're improving.
    GD - congrats on the PB - sub 40 in your next 10k, I think.
    Abbers - all the best for your next interview.
    RFJ - hope the hamstring is right soon.
    KR - great almost progressive run - you were shifting!
    JF2 - hope the knee holds up.
    SJ - 9 on the LSOF scale is scary.
    10 slow miles d&d. Will probably take a rest tomorrow.

• Options

LT run this morning, took it relatively easy and my knee seemed to hold up ok.  Hopefully it was just a one off.  Ended up averaging 6:59 over the 7 miles.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

RFJ - sounds like you're doing well from your current structure. 

KR - impressive 10 miler.

JF2 - glad the knee held out and a couple of good runs from you at the back end of the week.

SJ - I've been tempted by the contract route for a while, but never taken the plunge due to young family, etc. Seemed silly to give up the security, but now I'm in a position where if a contract role is the first suitable thing to come up and the commute's not horrendous, then it's very appealing, even if it's just to fill in until a suitable permanent job comes up. Good session from you too.

Nice 10 Gul - niggles settled down? Thanks for the best wishes.

7.5 for me today, with a 4 mile tempo section which came out at exactly 26:00 (6:36, 6:30, 6:21 (downhill), 6:33). Lovely sunshine too image

• Options

Recovery run today, 6 miles, playing the fetchpoint game. Anyone else play this and know how to get decent points?

Saw Alistair McGowan on the way at a crossing. Normal inane conversation where I asked him if it was indeed himself and then congratulated him on being a good likeness of himself.

• Options

GD -  Sub 41 for 10k in a training run is no mean feat. You have shown the signs of improvement recently in your training and now have the self confidence to follow it through?! Jump up the step and then on to the next one!image

Abbers - Promising news on the work front and even more promising news on your return to form. I'd say that's excellent news all round!image

JF2 - Sub 7 for 7! Nice!!

RFJ - Quality is always good thing IMHO and nice DIY Barber shop work btw!image

KR - Excellent 10 miler there. Do you just go with flow on those type of run's? 10 miles @ or under 7mm pace is very good going. How many proper long runs (20+) have you done so far in this campaign?

Gul - I felt slightly better after my run y'day but went downhill last night again but it's just a bad head cold and I'll get over it but my energy levels are not great and work is mental, but hey it's fine. Good to see you back to it and hope your pending 16 goes to plan!image

Meanwhile, I can barely breathe. Good night folks.

• Options

GM - sounds like a good night's kip will do you the world of good.

Nice tempo stuff Abbers.

JF2 - taking it easy and still managing sub 7 pace is good going. What would your LT pace have been?

6.5 miles across various commuting runs today - taking it nice and easy before tomorrow morning's long 'un.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I've had a tough week so a bit jealous of all the good running going on here. I'm taking junior to the XC at Alnwick castle today, and will have a run out at my first XC in ages. If I can get close to 20 tomorrow I'll be lucky to scrapr 45.

Take care Gul, I'm sure it will pass soon.  

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    PMJ - to get good points in the fetchpoint game you need to be a cyclist that commutes to work that way each day. That way you sow your own flowers and then harvest them. Once you're in a groove it's self fulfilling. Us runners have no chance.

Friday night tempo for me. Oh, the fun. Rewarded with 6 @ 6:16 though without duress. I'll have another crack next week, get some proper gurning going and set a target for reading HM on the 22nd. Feeling good.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Woken up with a tight chest and cough. MrE has had a virus the last few weeks and I think it has come my way now. I'm not sure whether racing is a good idea. On the one hand I've tapered slightly this week and am ready to give the hm a go tomorrow but on the other hand I'm asthmatic and feeling it in my chest. Thoughts?
  • Options

Don't do it, MsE!

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

PMJ - no idea on fetchpoint I'm afraid, but good celebrity spotting!

GM - hope your cold shifts quickly.

Lorenzo - how long is your long run this week? Another 20?

Wool - You're going well at the moment. Should be confident ahead of Reading.

OO52 - enjoy the XC.

SJ - meant to ask earlier, but how did your interview go in Oxford?

MsE - it's always disappointing to miss races, but sounds like you run the risk of doing more harm than good if you go ahead.

Rest day for me today, which means I finish Feb with 158 miles. Not stellar, but my best and most consistent month for quite a while.

• Options
    MsE: if you can be honest with yourself tomorrow then leave the decision until you've warmed up or even start and promise yourself you'll pull out after lap 1 if things don't feel right. But if your competitive side will override commonsense once you've arrived and started racing, don't risk it.
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭

I'll be honest MsE and I'd probably give it a go. I've risked it several times, some with regret, sometimes getting away with it. The last couple of times it's not gone well though - I really crashed and burned at the Cabbage Patch last year and couldn't stand for a while after crawling over the line……that means my advice is don't…..do as I say and not as I do and all that.

PMJ - the other way to do well on fetchpoint is to post the same training run multiple time but I see that you've already cottoned on to that trick image

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭

Oh, and 241 for the month @ 7:40 avg. That Tanda calculator says 3:01. Grrr!!

• Options

My main regret about racing with a virus was not really the horrific race-day experience, or even the sprained ankle sustained while unconscious, but rather the several weeks of (mercifully quite mild) post-viral fatigue that followed, which I imagine could have been avoided. If your main target is the marathon then I'd give it a miss.

• Options

MsE - only you can tell but it sounds like a no to me. Hope it passes quickly.

GM - likewise.  Get well soon.

Wool - sounds like things are coming together nicely

I decided on a whim to enter the 10m race in Battersea Park this morning as an MP section of my LR.  So up early (by my standards) to get 8 "warm up" miles in before the 8:00am start.  A 2m plod back made it up to 20 ish (19.7 to be precise).

The 10m section was 6 loops of the park, so not the most exciting route.  Neverthless, it is flat, well organised and a friendly event well attended by mostly semi-serious runners (i.e. like us lot). I managed an even paced 72:05 (7:13 pace) so quite happy  with that.  Was this MP or the best time I could do?  Actually I'm not sure there is much difference after an 8m warm up.  Splits were: 7:12, 7:13, 7:15, 7:17, 7:17, 7:19, 7:07, 7:16, 7:10, 7:07. I was lapped by all the sub 60 runners.  

Finchley 20 next Sunday.  I expect I will aim to do it at a similar pace to this or maybe slightly slower (say 7:20) and if I can manage that I will take it as a guide to likely MP.

• Options

Good 10 miler Gul

Cracking Friday night tempo run Wool. Some seriously fast miles. Was the lure of a few beers after temptation to go quickimage

MsE, I wouldn't race it if you are ill, however running it as a steady training run might be an option, if it's all paid for etc? Good points from Jools. Blimey Literatin you've out me off!

22 steady miles this morning in 2.51.54, av pace of 7.48. A great route through a Park, some country villages, a reservoir, a Country Park, canal towpath and river.

• Options

Something to look out for on TV next week.  Paula Radcliffe is featured on ITV4's Sporting Life series on Tuesday night.  I gather it is a good one.

Feb stats: 180 miles @ 8:29 average pace.  Need to speed up a bit in March!

• Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

Some gentle jogging this week and physio on Thursday who said I had an inflamed calf but could run on it but will need rest, stretch and rolling. Felt fine this morning until 7 miles and then stopped me in my tracks within the space of 30 secs. Sods law I was at the furthest point from home.  A depressing 5 mile walk ensued - now off to sulk! 

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Thanks all for your advice.  I am playing it safe and wrapping up warm for now.  This way I may be able to get a long easy run in tomorrow without compromising my health or training.  If I can shake it off (argh, why does Taylor Swift pop into my head?) I may be recovered to race the Surrey Half which I am also entered into next weekend.  

• Options
    Wool wrote (see)

Oh, and 241 for the month @ 7:40 avg. That Tanda calculator says 3:01. Grrr!!

I can confirm that Wool did not look good at the end of Cabbage Patch 10. Wool, what is that remark about multiple posting? I had a quick panic as all my accounts (Garmin, Strava, Fetcheveryone etc) are all linked and thought that I was posting once and then it was getting copied round via multiple routes but it seems I just have as many runs on fetch as I do.

Feb done: 212.15 miles in 26:48:49 hours at an average pace of 7:35 so that gives me 3.04 on the Tanda calculator, trailing in 3 minutes behind Woolimage (but 6 minutes ahead of Jantastic target) image

parkrun today. Progression this year has been 20:08, 20:06, 19:59, 19:46 and 19:43 today. Each seems easier than the last but comes out faster. Today the plan was steady and I knew there were two faster ones on the start line so third seemed a target. We went off and a fourth joined the lead group so I sat in there to see what he did and at 1km he showed no signs of weakness so I dropped back from the lead pace and then he fell off at about 2km, so I then had to chase him for the next 2km to catch back up with him at which point the sensible head cut in and I eased back. Splits show the same: 12 seconds faster in miles 1 and 2 than last week and then 20 seconds slower over the last mile and a bit.

Anyone at Bath please shout out to Boy On the Run who says he will be in the 1:26 / 1:27 frame and happy to be shouted at.

• Options

I can't remember if I've posted since my visit to the physio (for the injury I sustained last July). Hijacked the visit for the new injury and as suspected it's a nerve issue. In particular the deep peroneal nerve that was squished by the head of the fibia when I landed on it. Fizz says running can't do any damage and I even admitted to just how much running and he still said it would be ok and to take painkillers. I'm not so sure. It really hurts for the first few miles and I'm noticeably limping. It does ease off eventually though. 

Tried to do my 5 @ HMP last night and just couldn't get the pace up. I felt so weary for some reason. After 0.4 miles at just under 7 min miling I canned it and plodded out the rest of the route. I thought I might have a crack at it at parkrun this morning but my leg was really sore in the first mile (3 mile warm up but then a good 5 or 6 mins stood waiting for the cheering of volunteers and such like meant I was starting from cold again) and it was really windy. I feel like I've lost a load of fitness, which is ridiculous as I only missed 3 days completely, plus a scheduled rest day, so four days without running. I could only muster 6.32s. Not a happy bunny. 

Apologies for the me, me, me post. 

MsE - don't do it, the forecast is awful and you've got another one next week anyway!

• Options

MsE - sounds sensible to me if you don't run the HM tomorrow. I suspect you'll do more harm than good. Better to get an easy run in and try and shake it off before the Surrey Half.

On the subject of the Surrey Half, for both MsE and G-Dawg's benefit, elder Lorenzito is playing in one of the brass bands en route and I think that the band is still open to requests for pieces at requested times, so if you fancy running past to the sound of the Rocky theme let me know and I'll put in the request!!

Good parkrunning from PMJ - glad to hear that sensible head cut in!

GE - glad you enjoyed the Battersea Park run. I've done a 10 mile and 10K there on a Saturday morning and while it doesn't score highly for scenery, it's very well organised, a good standard and definitely has PB potential.

Long run all done and dusted this morning - I'd set my Jantastic target at 25 miles, but when I set off just after 6am I had the thought about a marathon plus run and tailored the route accordingly. 

With a tough climb up the side of Leith Hill around the half way mark I started to  regret the decision but having got back with just over 27 miles on the clock and then refuelled, I'm glad I pushed to get the extra couple of miles in.

Upshot is it's my longest ever training run on the back of my highest ever February mileage (213 miles) and takes me to just over 60 miles for the week so far. What's not to like about that? Suspect tomorrow will be a very gentle recovery run!

Good luck to Jools and anyone else running in Bath tomorrow.

• Options

Lorenzo,  I saw that 25 targetted on Jantastic and though nutter and then you do 27! Nutter, nutter, nutter but a good run nutter.

• Options
    Thanks for the tv tip GE.

Oh no ssc! That sucks.

Good plan MsE. Full on HM racing is rather unforgiving and is unlikely to end well if you are under the weather.

Abbers, it went well thanks. Mostly due to the fact that as well as being modest I am an incredibly charming and witty genius. Find out the verdict next week. Have another interview on Monday in that London. Posh.

Lorenzo, 27?!!

Nice early morning 60mile bike session today which included a circumnavigation of Windermere and a few lumpy bits. Steady run to finish off.
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    PMJ - on Fetch you are claiming you ran back-2-back 1:23 hms on 8th Feb. Stalktastic!

27. With (big) hills Lorenzo. Woo!!

CC: the same happens to me, miss a couple of days and it feels like it's all gone. It comes back quickly though. Good news you can run though. Take it easy.
  • Options
    Wool wrote (see)
    PMJ - on Fetch you are claiming you ran back-2-back 1:23 hms on 8th Feb. Stalktastic!

yep, ran the Wokingham half in 1:23 and then a 1:23, 13.1 mile cool down! Don;t know how it got there, only one on Garmin and one on Strava. Deleted it now but I guess it won't impact the game now.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - wow to 27m well done

Wool - that tempo pace is fast.... faster than any pace I can match at present and good milage

GE good running at Battersea

Gul good 10

KR tidy 22

PMJ - good milage

11.3m this morning inc parkriun (ran to and from and fuel light was came on last night and couldnt be bothered to fill up)

Then got asked to take Daughter out for a run... (nice to be asked - 2m with her then ran on to the Spa. so a nice double done

15.06m for the day

195m for Feb (2m more than Jan)

Take care

• Options

Lorenzo-27 now that's a long run !image

RFJ- nice 15 'er

CC2-easy running is probably best for now and see how things go ,no point mashing yourself .

6 mile this morn bringing me to 70.5m for the week and 296m for the month image