Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

The National was a disaster for me. I was running well within myself and not actually hating it, running just behind Jools, when my foot slipped out from under me on a camber and I landed on top of my own leg. I stood up again and realised straight away that all was not right. My first ever DNF. As the day wore on the pain in my lower leg got worse and when I woke up this morning I couldn't walk more than three steps without getting a stabbing, burning pain. Something crunched in my lower back and the pain in my lower leg eased off a bit, so I'm thinking it may just be a trapped nerve. I hope so anyway.

• Options

Speedy, bummer! Hope it is something temporary and not long term.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Nice MP miles PMJ!

A nice end to the week for you Leslie.  Well done.

Minni, pleased to see you are unleashing your inner triathlete!

Speedy - bad luck.  I passed you and Jools early in the race and did wonder where you had got to so you must have gone down quite soon after that.  I think Jools caught up with me after the first mile and then I lost her and never quite caught up fretting about losing my shoe in the mud.  I really hope it is minor and you are alright.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Oh and I finished the week with 18 today.  A slow start gave me an av pace of 7:59m/m but most of them were in the 7:30s.  My paces are starting to become more consistent now. image Happy rest of your weekend folks!

/ Ha ha, reading what I wrote it suggests I could have caught up with Jools which is laughable frankly.  She is super quick and light on her feet and a joy to watch when running.

• Options
    Oh no Speedy, hope you bounce straight back. Well done to the other XC racers and super quick family park runners. That's a lot of "MP" miles PMJimage Looks like GFA is in the bag.

Good news Minni. Running off the bike is just a practice thing. It will soon feel natural.

Loving the high mileage weeks being knocked out. Impressed.

Not a bad week here - a few bike sessions including a hard one this morning of 2.5hrs built around 5 back to back climbs of what is becoming my favourite hill - ~9mins per rep up a 20%+ twisty climb with a dozen or so switchbacks.

Run out on the fells this afternoon for 13 miles and 2500ft of climbing in pretty rough conditions. Dog wasn't very happy by the end.

Has the Jantastic site gone down or is it just me?
  • Options

I thought it was just me Slokey! The good new is I had already done my 7 runs before I broke myself. Might have to play a joker next week though, and won't set my March targets for a few days until I know the state of play.

• Options

MsE - I went down at 1.6miles, at which point I was right on Jools' heels. She went right to overtake someone and I went left, which was the fatal error! I'm afraid I didn't spot you, but there were so many runners and I was too busy *trying* to stay on my feet to pay much attention to who was around me.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear Speedy, it was well muddy there with many fallers, the mens race was horrific at the start for the first half of the first lap due to congestion, saw lots fall and pull out. Hope you have a quick recovery.

Thursday was a 11m run

Friday was a s rest day as in London to see Howard Jones at the O2, great night...

Sat was a easy parkrun run with firends and coffee afterwards followed by a trip to the mud fest of the National XC... finished in just over the hour for 7m, the mud was just awful.

Today - a gentle loose run of 4.37m this morning, followed up with 15.02m in the rain at 8:29 mm ave.

so 49m for the week of 4 days training, weight coming down too down to 11st 11lb now... 4lm more to go to get to racing weight...

Off to read back before getting on with work

• Options
    SlokeyJoe wrote (see)
    Has the Jantastic site gone down or is it just me?

It has sent me 11 identical emails in the last hour ...

• Options
  • Options

Speedy - hope you get over it quickly

Treadmill today due to wind and snow.  15m at around 8:00, 58m for the week.  

Hard week coming up and have to fit in a weekend in Edinburgh for the rugby

• Options

Bugger, longest run was only 14 so I lose my 100% on Jantastic. 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Speedy - hope its nothing too serious. 

MsE - glad to hear the pacing is starting to feel right.  No niggles at the moment? 

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just back from a week in the warmth on hols. Went P&D AWOL despite my best intentions but did myself in with too much of the wrong kind of running rather than too little. Hey ho, got myself straightened out by the end of the week and atoned myself with 20 @ 7:36 this morning. It was quite a shock to run in multi layers again though given it's been shorts and a vest for the last week or so.

PMJ - I made the right decision I see.

Loads of good running going on, too much to comment on that's for sure. Sorry to hear of CC2's woes though in what sounded like a horror show at the Nationals, hope you heal quickly. I always thought that I really liked XC but haven't really run any this winter and can't say that I've missed it.

• Options

Lorenzo - sounds like a good holiday and a great time in Birmingham too!
    ssc - sensible decision. Hope this week sorts out your calf.
    OO - good parkrunning from the OO family yet again!
    Jools - good effort at the Nationals on tired legs.
    MsE - nice XC running too!
    PMJ - nice parkrun and 20.
    GD - nicely paced 22 miler.
    Leslie - top mileage and nice pace for a long run.
    Minni - great progress.
    Birch - another cracking long run. At the moment, I intend to run the SSM, but unlikely to be targeting sub 3:15.
    Speedy - Oh no! Hope no serious damage done.Could you use a joker for Jantastic?
    RFJ - some good running again.
    JF2 - good 15 miler.
    Wool - good long run.
    6 miles d&d this morning. OVer the weekend, I went to change my Jantastic target for this week, but as March targets are now being set, that's not possible, so I'm stuck with 16 miles. Then my daughters told me and Mrs GD that they want to organise a Red Nose Day event and my younger daughter is going to do a sponsored bike ride to Sandringham and back - could I run with her? Fortunately I managed to persuade her to change from 8th March (6 days before ssm) to 1st March. It's 8 miles to the Gates at Sandringham, so that's my 16 miler sorted!

• Options

Speedy - ouch! Hope that it's nothing too serious.

Sounds like you're enjoying the tri training Minni. I'm sure I read somewhere that one way of making the bike-run transition easier I'd to make sure that you're doing a high cadence in a low gear for a few minutes before the transition as this gets your legs ready for the run. 

Great MP miles PMJ - looks like you're in fine shape.

Gul - as a suggestion, why don't you try running SSM without a watch / Garmin and with a plan to relax and enjoy it, rather than setting any kind of time target? Feels like you need to get a "no pressure marathon" under your belt.

Impressive long runs from RFJ, Wool and JF2, along with another loony session from SJ!!

Surprised myself a bit this morning. Went out early doors on a rolling (rather than with hills) 8 mile loop with the aim of getting around MP by feel and ended up with an average pace of 7:07 which was a good 10s / mile faster than anticipated. On top of that, my thigh has been feeling a whole lot better so it seems that the stretching and the massage ball have been having a positive effect.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

What Gul & Lorenzo said! image

Speedy, hope your leg is OK and it's nothing that's going to keep you away from the trainers for too long.

Gul - good to see you back running again.

Lorenzo - good pace. Think 7:07 is a realistic mara pace?

PMJ - going very nicely. Measured run and you should have no trouble getting your GFA.

RFJ - you running Salisbury in a couple of weeks?

JF2 - "have to fit in a weekend in Edinburgh for the rugby". Hard life! image

14 early yesterday morning put me over 40 for the week again, which is happening on a consistent basis now so getting fitter. The most exciting news is the arrival of my new bike though, an early birthday present from big bruv as he's off to NZ for a couple of weeks, so misses the day in question. Just need some dry weather now... don't trust myself to go out in the wet on a road bike yet!

• Options
    Wool wrote (see)

PMJ - I made the right decision I see.

Not sure about that. I offered to do a 20 with you in 2:30 and you turned it down as way too fast and then did a 20 in 2:32. I reckon 2:32 as a solo run is easily as hard as 2:30 in a group.

• Options

To add insult to injury, I'm now ill too. Better both at the same time than one after the other, but what a waste of my day's holiday from work! Slept for 13 hours and woke up drenched in sweat and with a splitting headache (dehydration from all the sweating no doubt!)

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Abbers you have the nicest brother! Good to see you clocking some steady miles.

Lorenzo running well! I always knew you were a secret speed demon from the way you've wanted to pull away in those early miles of the two marathons we have run together now image

Gul is everything running smoothly again?  Good to see you out for a decent run.

Welcome back wool, that 20 was at a pretty good pace!  The holiday obviously left you feel fresh!

Nice MLRs from JF2 and RFJ!  Those are often the most exhausting runs of the week I find.  Sometimes I feel like I am floating and other times I can barely drag myself along until I eventually warm up into it.

• Options

Good to see the usual amount of marathon training going on. Sounds like a bad day for you Speedy.

Back from Holiday in Cornwall and enjoyed some good coastal path running.You certainly know what a steep hill is after doing that! Views were fantastic. Managed a 20 miler yesterday back homewith 8 miles at just over MP (6.56 pace). I think the week off and a few beers have caught up with me a bit, but it was a cutback weekimage

• Options

My what a busy weekend on here with some excellent LR's being posted and brilliant park running from the OO family, junior is going from strength to strength. The XC sounded tough too with some really good running from MsE, Jools et al. I really do envy you guys being able to race so often and even meeting at some of the same events. So cool.

Rotten luck there Speedy and now infirm too! My one and only DNF to date was an XC too although I just pulled up lame as opposed to taking a fall. Hope you're going to be alright. Healing vibes being sent your way.image

Lovely to hear Gul and Abbers back running and enjoying it.

RFJ - Sounds like you had a lovely w/end and nice to be getting back to race weight too.

Lorenzo!!! I was so envious you went to the indoor athletics and saw Mo break what was by no means a soft WR. It must have been soooo exciting, the crowd went wild and I even ended up getting quite worked up just watching it at home! Lovely for Lorenzo junior to get photo's too.

PMJ - You are in good form at the moment. Are you going to stick to your GFA pace for your marathon?

KR - Nice holiday running & that's a good 20 miler with 8 at sub 7mm!

Zero running for me over the w/end as I've had my boy back with me all week after he recently did a 3 week stint out in Africa. Back on it this week though and I'm going to my 1st yoga session tomorrow too. Excited and slightly nervous at the same time. I am so inflexible but that's all about to change....hopefully, he saysimage

• Options
    GerardM wrote (see)

PMJ - You are in good form at the moment. Are you going to stick to your GFA pace for your marathon?

No plan to change anything but I seldom stick to plans. The biggest issue is that this year the marathon is a side-show and not the main event. I have Maidenhead 10 mile on April 3rd which is 3 weeks after SSM and it would be nice to record a good time there.

The biggest variable will be other runners. Last year, the top 3 were 02:50:17, 02:56:04 and 03:12:36. That is a very thin sharp end, so if someone is running 3:05 to 3:10 and I get into step with them, I'd rather a bit faster as a pair than 3:10 as a solo run. 

• Options

PhilipMJones wrote (see)

GerardM wrote (see)

No plan to change anything but I seldom stick to plans. The biggest issue is that this year the marathon is a side-show and not the main event. I have Maidenhead 10 mile on April 3rd which is 3 weeks after SSM and it would be nice to record a good time there.

The biggest variable will be other runners. Last year, the top 3 were 02:50:17, 02:56:04 and 03:12:36. That is a very thin sharp end, so if someone is running 3:05 to 3:10 and I get into step with them, I'd rather a bit faster as a pair than 3:10 as a solo run. 

That is indeed a very thin sharp end. Depends who turns up on the day then and obviously how you feel but I would imagine the way things are going you should be able to enjoy the run more so than you would if you were aiming for a much quicker time. Sounds like the 10 miler could be a big race for you this year and the timing seems to be good too.

• Options

Speedy- you are having a time of it , get well soon !

PMJ- There is a place on that mara podium for you I recon If you want it image

Abbers - nice present image

KR- good hard run that image

13.5m hilly mlr after yesterdays long run, tired now image

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

MsE - yeah, he's very generous! Given he also gave me a beer-a-year for 40 years, he figured I could do with something to help burn it off!

KR - sounds like a good week away, and an impressive 20 miler.

GM - the yoga should certainly help with strength and flexibility; takes a while to get used to though! I find it always gives me cramp in my feet...

PMJ - I can imagine you getting progressively faster on the day if temptation strikes! You should have plenty in the tank if the mood takes.

Leslie - been after a road bike for a while, so this solves the problem! Birthday is still 2 weeks away though, so not sure if I should technically ride it yet...

6.5 easy miles for me today.

• Options

Abbers - Yoga gives you cramp in your feet? Yes I'm not expecting any quick fix but it's something I've always wanted to try out so looking forward to it.

For all the marathon runners!image

/members/images/612983/Gallery/10991247_10206079118075642_1528735301211903608_n.jpg

• Options

Leslie, I am a sucker for a podium and if one comes within reach I'll chase it down at the end.

Abbers, the marathon is fairly tough in regards to making great time in-roads in the second half. My plan is probably 7:10 pace or close for the first 13 so I get to halfway on 1:34 so I can fade and do 1:36 for the second for 3:10 dead. If I do feel good and push hard, then I'd need 1:26 for 3 dead which is 6:33 pace. I guess I could maybe push for 1:31 and 3:05 but really once you are at halfway your best is set. I even checked, so someone like Speedy (and I note she was placed #1 of all 96 Catherines as I can never remember if she has an H or not in her surname) was very much even and not a great negative split, and Catherine #2 died from 1;30 at halfway to 3:06 and Catherine #2 even worse from 1:31 to 3;13. I'd better no mention Catherine #4 who was 15 minutes slower on the second half. Seems like there was a whole bunch at halfway which dispersed.

• Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

The highs and lows of being a runner . . . . . After a week of no running because of the calf, went out for a gentle 30 min jog with walking sections to ease back into things.  The first 20 mins were awesome-a delight to remember what a joy going for a run is! However, last 10 mins saw the calf tighten again leaving me to walk back home in a proper sulk.  Feel gutted that after 6-7 weeks of really good running I now miss last week, likely to be this week and then next week before I'm nearly back to full running.

Calf feels tight rather than really damaged but is aching today.  Has anyone had a similar experiences and if so any good physio exercises? Am seeing one on Thursday but would like to get moving on this, not sure if rolling it would help or not.

• Options

PMJ - You're equipped with the tools to do the job but I'm intrigued to see how it pans out.