Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

BaR - You're welcome. I would add though that the Jersey Spartan website i.e. not the link I posted (they are events run by an independant race organiser) is awful and their facebook page is not much cop either. There is normally a half marathon in November which is run on a beautiful but challenging course. Feel free to ask any more questions should you have any.image

• Options

I like the sound of the November half. I can do challenging...

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Happy Mondays folks!  

Nice to see our threadsters doing their bit with some excellent pacing (Sandy Balls).  I've registered with xempo to pace too but haven't had the call up yet.

VTr - delighted to see you are running up to 5 miles pain free now.  That is a real milestone.  When I got to 10 I started to feel like I had turned a corner for good.

Some nice reps from Gul and Leslie. How is the MRP feeling Gul?  Coming easily?

Lorenzo - you are getting so strong if you are finding 7m/m coming easily on an 8 miler which won't have been flat either knowing where you live.  All bodes well for Comrades.

PMJ - that was a PB for me.  I think it was my 5th or 6th raced HM and I feel like it is just the start of things now I have run consistently for a year.  

Jools - that is my ideal easy run pace where you can enjoy the scenery! 

Many congratulations on winning the contract Abbers!  Will you be able to fit in your training?

Bornagain - a belated welcome to the thread! Where is your trail HM in the US?  I raced in California which has some stunning scenery.  Races are pretty well organised out there and there is LOTS of enthusiastic support usually.

BikeIt - I got a pair of Boost to see if they might help with my niggles but I can't get on with the 10mm drop as I run in a 4mm drop and found it too odd.  I also run mid foot and found they didn't have much cushioning there.   I suspect for a different gait they would work brilliantly.  Er, like the ones the marathon world record holders possess.

Sorry to hear you had a bad race KR.  Do you think it was more mental than physical as you are training so well and have been so consistent?  Did you have a stressful week in the run up to the race?

Easy shake out run today of indeterminate mileage with some speedy loops to show a local coach what my form is like and whether he can help iron out bad habits (he can).

• Options

Abbers/RFJ  - two great performances at the Salisbury 10. Well don both and congrats on the PB, Abbers.

MsE – impressive return to form.  Enjoy the winnings.

Birch – Great result.  You’ve every right to be delighted with that performance and to share that with us.  That’s what we are here for!

G-D – congratulations on a great run.  A first sub 90 is quite a special landmark.  You’re on a great streak at the moment.

Sandy – quality pacing

KR – 1:27 still very respectable.

Music – I do tend to listen to music on long runs but equally happy without.  I couldn’t do audiobooks or even marathon talk podcasts.  I like to either be alone with my thoughts or have some “music that’s good to run to” to keep me going

Kit – I tend to take two sets of kit away with me when travelling even if that means skimping on “normal” clothes.  I am off to Costa Rica for the first half of April so will certainly need to take the trainers and hope I can fit in plenty of running. Otherwise it could be a long taper!

• Options

MsE, I'm doing the Trailquake half near San Jose. Saw it advertised ages ago, then had to carefully engineer the holiday so we were in the area at the right time, before casually dropping it into the conversation with non-running hubby. I'm really looking forward to it. 

• Options

Finchley 20 for me yesterday.   The plan was simply to race it.  I tend take the view that there is no point travelling to a race and paying the entry fee just to do a progressive long run that I could do from my door.  I know this is not exactly a textbook approach but it’s not like I’m a serious athlete or anything.

I set out at around 7:10-7:15 pace which was fine up to about 13m or so at which point I started to struggle to hold onto it.  However, I didn’t slow too much and the last 7 miles were a fairly steady 7:22m/m or so.  This gave me 2:25:05 (7:15 pace overall).  Slightly disappointed with that but it does at least suggest I am just about on track for a sub 3:15 marathon although it may be tighter than I would like.

I usually run Finchley in the build up to London so I looked back at how previous times have converted.  The closest comparator is 2013 when I did 2:25:07 at Finchley (raced it then too) and this converted to 3:14:54.  I was rather hoping not to cut it quite so fine this year!  I am hoping that with a strong final push I still have time build in a bit more headroom with 7 weeks to go (it was just a 5 week gap in 2013).

Interestingly (to me at least), I ran around 2:21:30 at Finchley in each of 2009, 2010 and 2011.  These converted to 3:09, 3:05 and 3:22 respectively.  Just shows that the marathon is quite a different beast to a 20m race.  A lot can happen in those last 6 miles!

Legs a bit sore today (especially calves).  Went out for 2k with my 8 yr old this morning and couldn’t respond to her sprint finish!

• Options

Officially benched. Fizz says no impact for the next week then back in to see him. No elliptical either so I'd best dig out the nappy shorts for the boring bike. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Abbers - well run and good job hunting, I'm doubly pleased. I was on the start line looking about with my cap on (for ease of recognition) but I dodnt know what you look like. I would recognise RFJ but I didnt see him either.

KR - you are a puzzle. I have been watching your recent training and have been very impressed with the paces you can run in training (dont think I could do them) and then you go and run a 1:27 ! I need to have a think about you. maybe you need more black and white in your training ? who knows?  You train great (too great this far out ?) and then dont convert it in races. Maybe you should be my next mentee, mmmmmm !

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

VTR - Great to hear you are back to it.

Speedy - Ah crap! Hehe, nappy shorts eh.

GE - There is still a bit of time. Good 20 there!

I've just signed up for a marathon......! image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Birch - I can't wait to tell my friend who is a V65 runner about your half. He'll be mighty impressed.

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

De-lurk

Jantastic request - If Nick, Colin or Pauline read this could you pretty please with sugar on top leave the Consistently Consistent sub-3:15 team? I'm sorry if you are injured but your lack of recording any runs for over a month is affecting the whole team. Thanks!

Re-lurkimage

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Welcome to the thread BornAgain.

Sorry to hear that recovery is not easy Speedy.  Fingers crossed for you.

Nice running GE and I do admire your year to year consistency.

Thanks MsE for your impression of the Addidas bouncy things.  I'm a heal striker and typically run with 8-12mm drop shoes so I think they may work for me.  I have reservations on the comparative tightness of addidas shoes to others though.  That said I have sort of convinced myself to buy them.

Which marathon did you enter GM?

6 miles easy tonight and, dare I say it, my leg is feeling a bit better.  Now I wonder if it is related to all the strengthening work I have done recently or not?

My shipping container is arriving in Cape Town tonight - much excitement in the house.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

GE - good 20 - I'm in your camp re racing . . . .

Gerard - which mara? 

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Bike it - Howzit boet? Goed it seems and I'm enjoying hearing about your Afrika experiences. Good news about the leg and your shipping container!image

MsE - Snap! I tend to go for 4mm drop shoes and anything else just feels weird for me. Congrats on your cash winnings btw. Some new running gear perhaps??image

Birch/Bike it - I've been thinking about what I should do this year in terms of marathoning and just generally having a whole lotta fun and decided to sign up for the Marathon du Medoc. A whole group of us from far and wide are heading over for some fun in the sun. I can run a bit and I certainly can drink wine, so I should get round ok....image

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    *Delurks*

Apologies Badbark I thought I had removed myself from Jantastic. All done now.

Hi all, not a good year for me as I picked up an injury at the end of January and have struggled ever since. I've been out on my bike a fair bit as I desperately try to keep the fitness up but my enthusiasm has dropped due to no racing focus.

So no London again this year, and no Reading or Wokingham halfs either. Bugger!

Sorry to put a downer on this positive thread and I hope all your training is going well.

I'll hopefully be back when I find my running legs.

All the best,

Nick.

*Relurks / sulks*
  • Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

UGGG! A long post just evaporatedimage 

So abbreviated version. GE, well paced race and good effort. Much fitness to be had from an effort like that...be sure to recover well! Your history already tells you anything is possible on the day! KR, it's only one race so put in the rearview and move forward. Your training has been awesome and great things can still unfold. Besides, you are healthy and fit. Sometimes it's as simple as thatimage Abbers, big congrats on landing the job.image Hope it works out to be a great environment to work in! Speedy, sorry to hear but 1 week isn't so long. Protect what you have. Moof, I hear ya. Hang in there. GM, exciting!

On my end, 6 miles today w/out issue. Still have some strange burning/tingling stuff in that foot (but not one sniff of the pain along the metatarsal that grounded me). Dry needling treatment today (yes, let your imagination run wild w/needles between toes!) worked incredibly well to calm this pissed off nerve. Will cap mileage at 6 and stick to every other day for another week or so. Agree MsE, 10 miles may be the yardstick test.

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Oh yes, I'm hopelessly addicted to running w/music.image And I recycle running gear on all trips (2 sets of gear so one can dry while other is available). Have to admit though, get's a little aromatic and I do probably run a bit faster toward week's end!image

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GE - don't be too disappointed - that's pretty good at this stage.
    GM - which one?
    Bike It - good news.
    moof - hope things turn around soon.
    VTr - hope it was worth the needle!
    4 miles with 8x1min MP efforts today. Slowly winding down now. Weather forecast for Saturday looks just about perfect.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GE - good 20 there. Will have some training benefit too, so chin up and onwards with the training.

MsE - not sure about training time at the moment. Given commuting distance/time, I think I'll have to take short lunches to get back in time to see the Ms As before they go to bed, so I may have to join the legions of early morning trainers on the thread. We'll see how things pan out once I start with my first full week next week; it's either that, or in the evenings, but then I'd either be eating or training really late. Think I'd rather do the mornings.

TR - yeah, sorry to have missed you again! Knew roughly who/what I was looking for, but didn't spot you. Were you happy with your performance? Looked good to me, but then expectation levels are different!

Speedy - rubbish news, sorry to hear. Hope the biking keeps your CV levels up.

GM - I've fancied the sound of the Medoc mara for a while - intrigued to hear of your experiences once completed!

BI - good news on your leg.

Moof - sorry to hear of your problems - what's the injury?

VTR - easy does it on your comeback, but sounds hopeful.

Gul - excited for you. Hope you nail this one!

So, age category change today! image I'm celebrating by ringing the bank, accountant, etc. to get myself set up as a contractor before Thursday! I know how to party, oh yes.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Happy b'day, Abbers . . .
    Sounds good, Gerard -  two hobbies within one event ! 
    Gul - hadn't realised yours was a Saturday race -  will you be carb-loading from tomorrow (or at all)? 

8.5 easy this morn, in beautiful sunshine, after rest yesterday .

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

HAAAAAAAAPPY BIRTHDAY, Abbers!

Easy 6 recovery miles in the woods.  4 again later.  Beautiful day here. image

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - happy birthday. Enjoy being the youngest in your new age category for a while!
    Birch - yes, carb-loading is something I didn't do seriously for Mablethorpe, so will start Wed pm.
    MsE - nice day for a double.
    I've been caffeine depleting this week, but not sure when to start again - is it just a couple of hours before the race or the day before, does anyone know?

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Abbers - happy 40th ?image

Moof- wondered what happened to you ,Whats the issue (if its not being too nosy) image Get well soon image

Badbark- stop de-lurking and get back in the fold image

Gul- Have you a plan now or just wing it ?  image

My "long run" lasted all of  7 miles this morn ,pace hit the skids at 5 miles and crawled home again at a snails pace image 4x15 hr days and sunday nights hard intervals have spoken !image

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - those are very long work days; sounds like you've earned a bit of a rest.
    My plan is to aim for 4:48min/km, which is 24mins for the 5km laps (7:43m/m). But it is very tempting to try and tag along with PMJ, even though I'm convinced it will end in disaster.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul-I think PMJ may not be able to keep a lid on it pace wise(sorry PMJ) , he never has in training ! You know you can't really afford to go out too hard given your training has been been plagued by injury .Everybody would like to see you do well and you can always speed up if things are going well but its your race and your call ..best of luck anyway ! image

I'm up at about 5 am not home till about 8:30 pm on days yes its not easy but needs must,my legs just taught be a little lesson today ... image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Moof- keep your pecker up!

• Options

MsE - Not sure what happened, but yes did have a busy stressful week at work, which probably didn't help much?

A good paced 20 mile race GE. I think when you get over certain distance there are more factors involved, but a good confidence boost nonetheless.

Fingers crossed for you Speedy with your next Fizz appointment. I guess being able to do other core work and non impact work can help keep the fitness levels up to a point - better than doing nothing.

Apologies to the Jantastic crew, didn't think I was affecting the rest as I didn't enter Feb details as the month was going to be too unpredictable. Will sign out tonight.

Shame you've had a bad start to the year moof, have you still got an Autumn mara to plan for?

Thanks VTR - good luck with the needles, keep it consistent with the every other day 6 milers as that seems to be working.

Ticking over well Gul, good luck with the carb load etc in prep for Saturday! I don't think I could last a day without coffee, let alone a week. Good to know how you get on. Can you get one of those dog leads that runners use when they run with their dog and then hook it up to PMJ. Worth it for the photo opportunity if anything.

Happy Birthday Abbers!

Leslie, I think our body is trying to tell you something.

Thanks for the words TR - I am a puzzle! Tried to message you, but looks like that isn't available to do on your profile? In a bit of a quandary about mara pace now. Your next mentee - now sounds like a challenge!

5 miles recovery last night and legs felt a bit battered.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    / battered legs after a HM at a pace well below your ability KR.... Hmmmm *twirls Poirot moustache*
  • Options
    Gul Darr wrote (see)

Leslie - those are very long work days; sounds like you've earned a bit of a rest.
    My plan is to aim for 4:48min/km, which is 24mins for the 5km laps (7:43m/m). But it is very tempting to try and tag along with PMJ, even though I'm convinced it will end in disaster.

My plan is 4:30min/km which is 22.5 mins for the 5k laps, 45 minutes per 10k and 3 hours for 40k which is the 8 laps, then just a 2.195 km sprint home. My Garmin is all set up for km and I intend to stay fairly close to pace for a reasonable while so not slower than 4:30 but maybe up to 4:25 (3:06 pace).

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Thanks for the birthday wishes all!

Some nice easy runs being logged today in the spring sunshine. I can add 5 miles to that list, before going out for a nice lunch with the folks and Mrs A, and then off to the pub tonight with assorted friends to round the day off. image