Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Thanks SJ and all others for the kind comments on my debut sub-90 HM at the weekend.

It was back in the saddle though on Tuesday with an 8 miler at 7.05 pace and a 6 miler yesterday at 6.55 pace. No real session themes, just running.

Today is an easy jaunt to the track for a fartlek type session, no more than 4 or 5 miles. My mates and I have decided to give the Thames Meander Marathon a go on Saturday and use it as our LSR. The plan had 24 miles set for this weekend but the Meander is flatter and the tow path can't be any more dangerous than the rough pavements of Byfleet, Weybridge and Addlestone on our usual big route. Plus it will be more interesting being part of an event.

All of our LSRs have been around 8.15 pace this year, so a similar pace will see us come home at 3.36 or hopefully slower at 3.38 as we plan to take it nice and easy.

Sure, there's risk in the distance but I reckon we'll be OK if we keep a lid on it. All 3 of us got PBs on Sunday are feeling strong enough to deal with the extra 2 miles.

Speaking to an older guy (older than my 47 years) at the Surrey on Sunday, he's a regular GFA runner at the VLM (did 1.25 on Sunday) and he often got his LSRs to 27 and 28 miles but warned that pace discipline is essential.

This campaign is all about doing things differently. It's worked so far, so here goes!!

GD

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

How's your mood after the McCoy's, PMJ? I remember you saying you get grumpier the fitter and lighter you are.

MsE - what did you change in your gait?

Good luck at the weekend - hope PMJ wins, Gul does whatever he wants, and GD is unscathed.  Who did I miss?

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul- 4lb's, that's proper carb loading !

Bike it-nice mid run kip !

G-dawg-go for it !

11 miles this morn for my mlr , very slow start then got going ok.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

marrows: I must be light as a feather and fit as a fiddle if grumpiness is the indicator...

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Excellent carb loading and insight into your meals when running a marathon. I can't recall if I ever answered your question re what mara. I am doing marathon du Medoc. It's really a jolly jaunt in the sunshine in fancy dress but mainly drinking lots of wine and having fun. 10 of us are renting a gite with a lovely big pool too, so should be a laugh.

I may attempt a race this weekend if my pesky left knee stops moaning! Will be my 1st in 4 months!image

• Options

What goes in, comes out Gul! A good selection of food there.

Good luck for  Thames Meander G-Dawg, just keep a cap on that pace. Better to go too slow than too fast.

That marathon sounds fun Gerard.

I've sent you my email address TR.

Good early 11 miler Leslie.

14 miles easy last night in 7.59 av pace.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - I wouldn't last 5 mins out in that heat.
    GD - you are flying! Hope you can keep a lid on it on Saturday.
    Leslie - still clocking up the miles, I see. I weighed myself this morning (same time as yesterday) and fortunately was only 2lbs up on yesterday (rather than 4).
    GM - sounds like a great experience! hope you get to race this weekend.
    KR - great MLR.
    Same breakfast as yesterday (except toast instead of fresh bread) and sandwiches for elevenses again. Today I had fusilli pasta and coleslaw with my baked potato. Went a bit over the top with the pasta and couldn't fit it all on the plate in one go (it was a smallish plate!) I now have my old watch working and ready for Saturday (newer one only does a max of 30 splits and the course has km markers). Just have to remember how to use it now!

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Gul, good luck this weekend! Enjoy the eating in the meantime. PMJ, good luck to you as well. Interested to see the pace you both end up with. Hope the weather  cooperates.

GD, after a full out 1/2, then two less than recoveryish runs this week, I'd be very careful this weekend! Good luck (and definitely keep a lid on it)!

5.3 miles yesterday. Foot feeling a little strange after all the PT stuff. Every had DOMS along the PF?image Yesterday was shorts weather although cold again now.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    1:31:08 at milton Keynes though I was coming back after a cold and some niggles. Not the sub 90 I was hoping for but more or less on track. Still focussed on 3:15 for VLM. building back into it this week.

Tried calf guards for the first time yesterday. Seems to help recovery.
  • Options
    Gul Darr wrote (see)

PMJ - weather forecast for SSM is slowly deteriorating. The wind speed is picking up and the afternoon rain is getting very close to being morning rain now. At least for the moment there is no chance of it being hot.
    Pizza and chips for tea last night image Then yoghurt, ginger cake, cereals and brandy snaps with double cream image Weighed myself at bedtime and I had gained 4lbs. Last run this morning before Saturday - just 2 slow miles. Legs feel rubbish, but not I'm not concerned.

Weather forecast now is dry long enough to see me home but 11 mph winds are staring to look like a challenge in terms of even pace.

marrows wrote (see)

How's your mood after the McCoy's, PMJ? I remember you saying you get grumpier the fitter and lighter you are.

MsE - what did you change in your gait?

Good luck at the weekend - hope PMJ wins, Gul does whatever he wants, and GD is unscathed.  Who did I miss?

Mood is good. I do get grumpy as I get lighter as it is all stress and gout related as the training comes to a peak. This time round I did 20@MP on Feb 22 and a few days later after a 16 on fresh air I got a very small twinge in my toe so I was on the verge of going over the peak but have backed off since then and the taper has cut in and things are good. 7.5 today easy and not much off MP.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul - race weight by race day then at that rate image

Risotto-close enough to 90 mins after sickness.

Kr- good paced 14'er

VTR- back running again 

PMJ- perfectly timed taper then !

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Steady comeback there VTr. Keeping fingers crossed that you reach 10 miles soon!

I'm a bit nervous about GD's week with marathon on end. Hope it's not too much for your body?

Nice miles KR. Interested to see what TR's Magic does for you!

Well done Risotto on your result! I raced with a virus and my breathing really affected me (am asthmatic). I'm still not right now but hoping it'll go eventually.

I can't contemplate eating the volumes PMJ and Gul are, it's almost like an Eat Off is taking place.

marrows - tiny adjustments involving arm position to stop me running like acdrinken sailor and loosen up my shoulders and lift my knees more, thereby engage psoas and glutes and leam foreards more, I've been practising it again today on my 15 miler on the trails and it seems to give me another gear.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Apologies for typos. Am on phone.
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - Good to hear the mood is good!

Rissoto  - Good half and keep plugging away!

MsE - Another gear huh?! That's a bit scary!!imageimage You are in fine fettle. That's just great!

Gul - Re carb loading and your potato/rice combo. There are quite a few Portuguese/Madeiran restaurants here and it's pretty bog standard to have potatoes, rice and chips with your meal and that would also entail a whopping big steak or some other very substantial meat/poultry/fish dish . Needless to say, most of those that serve/partake in such, are not at race weight! image

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - yes, I see the threat of rain is receding, but the wind speed forecast is increasing and I guess a disused airfield is going to be rather exposed image  The race numbers have now been posted. 92 runners in the marathon. Nearly 700 in all, 300 of whom are running the 10k, so field should thin out considerably after 2 laps.
    MsE - have you reached Top Gear yet?
    GM - no rice today, but more chips at the weekly Church Community Meal this evening.
    More bananas and yoghurt this afternoon. Ham salad and chips tonight. Swiss roll, ginger cake and cereals going down a treat right now.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - By the sounds of that you should be replete by now? Are you going to deplete tomorrow or carry on?? Totally loving the detail!!image

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Just love it when work picks up the bill in the hotel.... Steak.....mmmmmmm well deserved after 8.25m along the Bristol to bath old railway cycle path... (out and back) with 4m at MP - 7:13, 7:12, 7:10, 7:06. - Would have done the whole route to Bath (16.2m) but seeing as I have a 16.5m trail race (Ashridge Boundry Run) on Sat (easy run) followed by Kingston Breakfast run (16.2m) on Sunday though that 3 long runs in a week would be a tad too much.....

PMJ - enjoying the Taper

Gul - Food is our freind... image

Good running and comebacking (VTR)

Weight for me has be dropping nicely, nearly a stone since christmas.... mainly down to cutting out strachy carbs at least 5 days a week and replacing with green veg..... as you saw tonight was steak and did have the fries too image but no pudding..... Have also found that doing a round robin of stretches and exercises every day for 10-15 mins is also making a massive difference....

Take care

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Excellent reporting of the carb consumption, Gul . . . . .swiss roll & ginger cake  - yum ! 

with you in spirit earlier, as lots of rice & naan bread partaken with curry . . .

hope the wind forecast doesn't materialise  . . .

kip now - I suppose you'll be up quite soon, Gul image

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GM - might ease up a bit later in the day or else I might spend half the marathon using the facilites!
    RFJ - nice run. All the best with this weekend's racing.
    Birch - curry. Now there's an idea.
    Rest today. Weather forecast is now rain at 9, 10, 11am image  (Race starts at 10).
    PMJ - sure you're not tempted to turn up early, register, nip off to Evesham for a warm-up parkrun and return for the marathon?

• Options

Not been on here for a couple of days, and seemed to have missed quite a bit, most notably Gul doing his impression of Man v Food. Hope everything slots into place

Welcome to Risotto

MsE - what are your running plans on Saturday? I need to get a long one (25miles) so may be heading over your way. 

9 yesterday (working from home + school governor visit) and a commuting run today.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Join us at the Thames Meander, Lorenzo. Only one mile more than you're planning and there's a mdeal at the end. image

Did a 5 mile mixed session yesterday. Just running around the streets, into the track for a couple of 800s and a 400 and then back to the office. Legs are heavy but overall not too bad. Will defo be taking it easy tomorrow. the Head of he River race is also on and we may be dodging boats and oars on the path as we turn at Putney. that should be fun!

The beauty of the event tomorrow is if I feel knackered, I can walk for a bit, no pressure. The day is about time on feet and certainly not racing.

GD

• Options

Apologies everyone, I've been lurking in the background ever since my Wokingham head to head with PMJ. Seems like there's some awesome running going on, keep up the good work!

PMJ - good luck for the weekend. will be interested to see how you go. are you going flat out, or going to hold something back?

Good luck to anyone else running, also!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good luck Gul and PMJ- you both sound on good forrn, mentally and physically.

Good week here also. I've not tapered for my 20 mile race on Sunday (it's just a test in pacing). It should end up a 55 mile week including parkrun Saturday.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Good luck to Gul and PMJ.

MsE: another gear?  You'll be on my tail the whole way round VLM!

13M plodded home last night (definitely no extra gear chez Joolska at the moment).

• Options

Gul, so 130 5ks, 300 10ks, 170 half and 100 full. I hope to get some shelter until half way and won't feel at all guilty sitting on a shoulder.

brixtonrunner wrote (see)

PMJ - good luck for the weekend. will be interested to see how you go. are you going flat out, or going to hold something back?

Not flat out from the start. The target is 4:30 pace which is 3:09:53 and the plan is to go out and keep inside 4:30 which probably means 4:25 so halfway in 1:33. I will probably keep that to 32 km (20 miles) so something like 2:21 / 2:22 and that leaves 48 minutes for the last 10k and a bit. If I feel good I may push on or if I feel bad I can ease back. Wind will be a factor and if someone is running at about my pace and we can share the lead then I would be happier to adjust than to stick to a rigid plan.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - nice speed work. Enjoy the jaunt along the Thames tomorrow.
    OO - hope Sunday goes well.
    Jools - nice plod.
    PMJ - weather forecast has changed again. May as well stop looking.
    Usual breakfast (fresh bread again today). Sandwiches at 11. Slice of chocolate birthday cake (someone in the office is 26 today - not me!) Now about to tuck into baked potato with spicy chicken pasta.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Best of luck to OOGul and PMJ this weekend!  

That looks a great session RFJ.  Nicely run.

Enjoy the Thames Meander GDawg. It is a well organised race and a nice route but WATCH OUT for dogs off lead and boats swinging wildly around Putney Bridge!  Lorenzo can confirm it is highly dangerous round those parts. image

Lorenzo wrote (see)

Not been on here for a couple of days, and seemed to have missed quite a bit, most notably Gul doing his impression of Man v Food. Hope everything slots into place

Welcome to Risotto

MsE - what are your running plans on Saturday? I need to get a long one (25miles) so may be heading over your way. 

9 yesterday (working from home + school governor visit) and a commuting run today.

Lorenzo - I am recovery running tomorrow and running long on Sunday morning.  Any chance of switching your days?  My plan has me doing 18 with 12 at MRP though. What pace were you planning on?  When I have to run to pace I avoid the hills and stick to the flatter (less interesting) routes too which might not be attractive to you if you need to run 25.  Let me know!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Full on marathon training going on. Good to see.

I've got a lot of life going on at the moment and my busiest time of the year at work so not much time for forums. But that doesn't mean I'm not thinking of you all!

Can't rember if I said but swimming has taken a sudden halt after an ear infection progressed to a perforated ear drum. I went for a quick last night to assess and it's sore again today. image I have a short run/bike/run duathlon to look forward to on Sunday though!image

I'm going to attempt some months of slow HADD style base training to HR. Any tips?
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    There was a good article knocking about on HADD - I'll try to dig it out over the weekend if no-one else posts it up first.

Best of luck to racers this weekend - exciting that the season is back ON!!!

Looking forward to see if Lorenzo can handle a session with MsE at "race pace" too!

On a train back from the smoke post job interviews. Just waiting for the offers to come flooding in nowimage In the meantime I have a date with "The Struggle" and the longer route up Kirkstone Pass tomorrow morning. Bring it!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Quick pop in and out, as these marathon threads make me twitch...

good luck Phil. I know how you've planned this one, so not sure you need any luck!

Good luck to anyone else racing, or doing a monstrous weekend run!