Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Fantastic, Badbark (I seem to have expressed those sentiments repeatedly this year) image

not sure I could cope with "had to stop a few times at busy junctions" !!!

and, as we are posting highlights, I'll expand on my "satisfying" year - 

no PB's (naturally), but was a great spring for me, with a 1:29:32 (80% wava) half mara (fastest for 9 years) and VLM 3:18:43 (quickest mara for 5 years) - both acceptable to me at age 60.  (Shame I can only manage that half m pace in parkruns again now) . The autumn I targetted the county XC series to see what I could do as I missed it last year when first becoming a VoGit. Somehow ended up as V60 County Champ, which was nice.  Just as pleasing was seeing my son finish 2nd in Mable half, and daughter go sub 20 at 5K; but more pertinently that they now choose to run as adults of their own accord - I didn't put them off when they were nippers !! 

Aims for 2016 - initially lose the 2 or 3 pounds which I think are slowing me a bit, and keep on keeping on.   

Happy New Year to all

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

There has been some standout performances by threadsters this year.  It's good and inspiring to be reminded of them again.

Nice one Badbark - epic performance again, especially with that big hill on each lap - it just gets better from you.

Not much of a year from me - it's been more about getting to be a runner again after 12+ months on injury from mid 2013.  I'm in much better shape now and might call myself a proper runner again soon as things are building nicely.  I got one PB though in the 10K.  The most satisfying bit of running though was the last 15km of Comrades when I ran what counts for tempo pace at the end of 86km - it has revitalized my running.  The big goal for 2016 is to do whatever is required to run sub-9 at Comrades 2016.

22km this morning - one snake on a dirt road defined the unplanned turnaround point

Happy New Year Everyone

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Badbark great way to finish the year!

2015 was a mixed year for me. Marathon and 20 mile PB's in the Spring but then out of form for the rest of the year with nothing to shout about. 2250 miles in 2015 is my highest mileage ever- I think it helped for the marathon, but may have cost me later in the year.

2016 starts with an 11km race today. Wishing you all the best for 2016, you've all been great company and enjoyed sharing your experiences and achievments.   

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Hi All, just popping in to wish you all a happy new year.

I keep dipping in to the thread occasionally to see how you're all doing, can't help it really.

Some impressive results and stats from you all.

I've had a quieter year than usual on the running front as I've delved into the world of Triathlon, but still managed plenty of training on the bike and in the pool/lake too.

Stats for the year;

Running 1480 miles,

Bike 4075 miles,

Swim 65 miles.

2 vets wins at Dinton pastures 10k series and 11th Overall in my first open water Olympic distance triathlon.

This year I hope to get to the start line at London marathon but my main goal is Outlaw triathlon in July, so I'll be after tips from Slokey.

Oh, and I managed 18.13 this morning at Newbury parkrun which was pleasing.

Keep up the good work folks!
  • Options
    Hey that's great Moof!

Defo see you on the start line. Are we in the same age group? V45? I can feel a thread smackdown coming on.
  • Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Yep! But sub 10 would be a stretch too far for me, but if I can survive the swim who knows as my cycling has improved lots especially now I have a slippery bike.image
  • Options
    What's your swim time like? Outlaw is a nice OW swim - basically a giant swimming pool (with added duck sh1t). Two lengths and done.
  • Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    The swimming is by far my worst discipline, I managed 30.25 for a 1500m open water swim at the Reading Tri, tbh I went off way too fast and had a bit of a panic 50 m in, got swam over and kicked, reverted to breaststroke until I got my composer back. I was 78th out of the water but managed to get down to 11th on the bike leg and I was 8th on the run.

Although the 'larger' athlete can put in a good swim, fortunately they can't run for toffee.

Since I've joined a Tri club my swimming has improved considerably, so plenty of time to improve that technique.
  • Options
    That's still not a bad time and a great overall result.

Trick with IM distance is managing a steady output all day, eating enough and having no dramas. I think you'll do very well with your pedigree and new found biking skills. Lots of steady volume will see you rightimage
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Badbark - another trademark run there & 1st place is a cracking way to finish of 2015. I like the way you went through 3000 during a marathon - very fitting for this thread.

Birch - a great year's total, with an excellent half marathon time this year. I'm with you on the weight loss, having managed to put on a few pounds over Christmas and New Year, despite my best efforts!

OO52 - An impressive total from you too. Why do you think the extra mileage cost you, later on this year? Hope your 11k (unusual distance) race went well.

Lorenzo - yes, sub 9, an immense achievement. Great 2015 mileage and 3 good resolutions for 2016.

Bike It - glad you're feeling like a runner again. A snake is as good a reason as any to define your turn around distance!

Moof - good to hear from you, with some impressive totals. Your 5k time is, indeed, very pleasing.

I'm looking forward to the Slokey/Moof Iron Man thread smackdown!

Had a look through my diary & was pleasantly surprised to note a total of 1049. No where near the other totals on here, but there was a time between March and May when I thought I was going to have to pack in altogether. My hip still grumbles a little, but so far my new approach of just running (no cycling or swimming) 5-6 days a week seems to be working. It's all general aerobic stuff. I have no race targets for this coming year - although I do intend to race. I've no marathon plans, but hope you will allow me to continue posting on this excellent thread. My only goal for 2016, is to keep slowly building my aerobic base to as high a mileage as my hip will allow. Then decide on a race to properly prepare for.

Happy New Year folks.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Ashton Court parkrun, home of a hell of a hill, for me today. Had to settle for just under 20.30, although course best is only 19.52. And if I can run a parkrun 90s faster each week, I'll be a world record holder by February. On a more practical front, pelting down the hill for the first time in 18 months is likely to mean serious DOMS tomorrow!
  • Options

Impressive tri-ing there Moof. You're a brave man taking Slokey on at the Outlaw.

Definitely stick around here Fishy - glad to hear that the new approach is working and not causing too many problems.

Good going on the hill Jools - I keep meaning to give Ashton Court a go when we're over in Bristol to see my sister-in-law but I've not got around to it yet.

15 miles up and around Box Hill for me this morning - wet and windy to start with and the couple of miles worth on the off road section were more like ice skating - road shoes aren't best suited for slippery, muddy hills!!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

yes, stick around, Fishy - I intend to, and I'll never go sub 3:15 again (in fact this year's VLM was supposedly my final mara)     -  need to sit down and formulate some goals  . . . . .

started 2016 with a 6 miler y'day, followed by 15 today.  

• Options

Fishy- stick around and let us know how you get on.

Jools- that course record is there for the taking Id say

Lorenzo-nice mud plugging

Birch-you ran 3:18 last year so 3:15 HAS to be done  No vogit excuses now image

• Options
    Getting back into it here. 45 minutes on the fell yesterday (slow) and then a 20min run to the pool (slow), swim set, run home (slower) today.

I need to get a picture of Moof's avatar to stick in front of my treadmill and turbo trainer for smackdown motivation.
  • Options

Happy New Year everyone!
    Birch - great annual mileage!
    Badbark - sub 3 and a win on a tough course is just amazing - what a year you have had! Congratulations.
    Lorenzo - great stats and good targets for 2016.
    SJ - great year despite the injuries.
    Poacher - well done clocking up #49 - sounds bleak.
    Leslie - great news - another step in the right direction.
    Bike It - nicely set for 2016.
    OO - top mileage.
    Moof - good to hear from you and sounding very much in form!
    Fishy - hope your patience pays off in 2016.
    Jools - sounds like a parkrun to avoid! Nice time.
    First run of the year for me this morning - 9 slow miles.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great parkrun moof is that far off your pb?

I managed 41:45 in my 11k, scrapped a 3rd v50 prize. Crossed the line holding hands with junior who was 2nd lady her best position so far in a road race.

Oh and became OO53 today

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Fishy, I just wonder if the extra miles last year aggrevated my hip issues which hampered my speed in many races.But I might just be getting old...

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, OO! Well done to you and junior yesterday.

16M done. Horrible weather and so it's taken a hot bath and a bowl of porridge to defrost. Kit needs to dry out before it goes in the laundry basket!
  • Options
    Happy birthday OO

And great results for the OOs
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

That's a great time for 11K, for you & jnr, OO (& happy birthday, young 'un) image

nicely off the mark, Gul

Jools - porridge here too after a soaking run , but only of 4 miles to follow the 15 y'day - 50 for the week to start 2016. 

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday OO53 and excellent running for you 2 at the 11k. Didn't realise you suffered from hip issues too. I'll have to be careful with my mileage build up. Getting old? Your times still look youthful to me!

That's a nice half century to get 2016 going Birch.

When is the rain going to stop Jools? I managed to dodge the rain this morning for my hilly 10 miler, but there's still a lot of flood water around here, so I had to choose my route carefully and miss out many of my favourite paths and trails.

Just over 30 for this week and no hip issues, but will stick at another 30 before moving on up.

• Options

Happy birthday OO53 - hope you've had a good day. The race this morning sounds great on a number of different levels.

Rest day for me today so decided to do some core work when I woke up. Will be pleased if I can get into the habit of this a couple of times a week.

• Options

Ooh, happy birthday OO! 

I'm getting fed up with ploughing through ankle deep puddles now. But the schedule said 18, so 18 miles were run. In the rain. 

• Options

OO - many happy returns for yesterday. Nice way to celebrate!
    Jools - well done on the LR in the cold and rain.
    Birch - good week to end/start the year.
    Fishy - wise move.
    Lorenzo - core work - is this a New Year's resolution?!
    Speedy - good resolve.
    10 steady miles to start the week.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Happy new year threadites!

And birthday wishes to OO for yesterday too.

Haven't read back properly over the Christmas/New Year posts yet, but a brief review reveals that most of us have had enough of the wind & rain now! 

Nothing remarkable over the festive break, but managed 1x11, 2x10, 1x8 & 2x7, so 53 miles over the 11 days. Not excessive, but enough to keep some of the calories at bay! Back at work today image Still, the normal training pattern can now resume, so not all bad.

• Options

Been a while since I posted and busy @ home, so belted merry Xmas and happy new year to everyone..

Good to see some great running going on over the festive period. 2 x 600m seems a strange session Gul.

Impressive yearly mileage Badbark (on 11 months running!). Very well done on your 7th sub 3 hour marathon and winning ti too. I think I'd like to try that taper sometime image

Hope the Turbo keeps the fitness up Leslie.

Great Parkrun time there Moof.

Good to read all your yearly mileages and year highlights too.

Managed to get the door on Boxing day and do a 20 miler. I'd only planned 18, but felt okay so carried on. The got another 20 miler in on Saturday morning a good and hilly course and 64 miles for the week, so endurance is ticking over nicely at the moment.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good to see several of you doing doing those long runs in spite of the awful weather and flooding.

My 11km race was actually on New Years Day and unfortunately I picked up a calf injury so I skipped parkrun and my planned long run yesterday. Not a great way to start my marathon campaign but a few days rest seems wise.

I have put on about 2 kilos over Christmas- anyone else having the same issues?  

• Options

Just read back and have to say I'm so impressed with everyone! It's been a great year for most and hopefully those suffering from injuries will have a healthy 2016!

I missed my xmas day run but managed some good mileage over the break. Ended the year at 2298. Last week was 60 and did my first subLT session (13 w/10 fast) and it went surprisingly well. May have retained more fitness than expected (but speed definitely missing but that will come).

Tough weather out here (3 degrees F and windy today and had a couple subzero runs in Minnesota). I have to admit it takes special motivation to get out in that and am kind of cringing at the thought of all the training in this sh*t for the Boston mara in April. Am taking a more relaxed approach this time because I just can't anticipate the weather and road conditions. Plus work is crushing for the next few months.

Got sleep over the break but am still tired!image