Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

VTR and Bike -it, good to hear you both sounding confident with current form/recovery.

GD- those runs are sometimes the best- 10 miles on stiff legs is much easier with company.

I'm having a decent week, could get close to 60 miles again, though no quality so far.

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

GDawg, ouch. Recover well and glad you took it easy.

PMJ, you'll be good as always. I'm sure you'll even out.

BI, glad to hear you are well again.

Jools, wow! You must have held something back for that race (but not sure what after those workouts!).

Poacher, looking forward to a report!

Well, somehow I think I've dodged a bullet. Tonight did 13 w/10 at subLT. The fast miles came out at 6:45 m/m ave and I was tireless. For perspective, 2 weeks ago before I was sick I did this same route in 7:04 feeling strong as well. Prior to that it's been even slower. So this is back to normal form (finally) with 1 full week of volume remaining before the taper. I'll take the serendipity.

Also, I sort of decided to clean up my diet this past week. Figured I'd already had a head start losing some weight from the illness so what the heck. I cut out desserts and also this really tasty sausage egg cheese breakfast sandwich I'd been getting way too often in our work cafeteria. Could this be the secret?image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Queer as running, obviously, not queen.  Pfft!

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - that's still a very nice pace - take care of the glute/hammy now.
    PMJ - don't know about you, but I find I need a long warm-up before anything faster doesn't seem like a real effort.
    Bike It - goo dnews on the knee.
    Jools - nice non-tapered 5 mile PB - majestic!
    Poacher - looking forward to #gymfail. BTW I hope you're not planning on bringing any hand grenades to White Peak!
    OO - good mileage.
    VTr - great sub LT run.
    5 miles at plod pace d&d.

• Options
    Poacher wrote (see)
    Agreed, IMHO it's "listen too everyone, follow no-one", do you own thing, and sometimes roll that box of hand grenades into the bunker and blow everything up.

Heard that phrase used by some wise old dude on marathontalkimage

I think maybe I read too much into individual days rather than look at trends. I have run 582 miles so far in 2016 so some of those will be good and some not so good. Like Jools, not much makes sense, so over the last 2 weeks I ran a half in 1:40 on Wednesday, the Sunday I paced a half in 1:40, then another Wednesday half in 1:40 and then on the Saturday I did 21 and went through half in 1:37. It apparently takes about 3 weeks for training to yield results, so hard to remember what happened weeks ago and equate it to current performance.

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

GD - some very tough sessions there, no wonder you felt tired for the 10 miler, but 7.30 pace is still quick enough

Jools - brilliant result image

VTr - that's a great confidence booster

I've been sticking to fairly short runs this week (between 3 and 6 miles only), nothing sub 8 pace, to get through the achilles pain. Monday was painful, but it has got better each day and I know now I'm fine for the 21 on Sunday.  It's the sort of pain that is there when I start the run, but will have eased off within a mile or two, and is then fine.  The stretching and foam rolling helps.  I'm still minded to stick to LSR pace for the whole race, but if it feels OK I might take the pace up a bit gradually and see what happens.

Who else is racing this weekend?

• Options

I think consistency in training is another factor PMJ. It's when you miss a few days of key training or a week that can put a spanner in the works and you start to doubt all the other training you have done.

Nice 5 mile untapered 5 mile PB Jools.
    I like the sound of your breakfast sandwich VT, makes me feel hungry!

Cracking 21 miler Gul with the negative split.

Nice “easy” run there G-Dawg

I grew up in Crewe BikeIt, a town where you can't go in or out of it without going over/under a railway bridge.

12 miles on Tuesday @ 7.14 av pace and then a 6 mile recovery run last night. Got my last 20 penciled for tomorrow morning. Will have to count up how many I've done so far, but probably going to be about 6/7.

Good luck to any racers this weekend.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Freemers - Good luck at Cranleigh on Sunday. I know a few doing it, including my running pal which is why I'm doing my 20 alone tomorrow. Look out for the bright orange Woking AC vests. I'll have one of those soon.image

GD

• Options

Freemers - I'll try and keep my eyes open for you. I'm only planning planning on doing the 15 miles after the advice on here. Went round on 1:44:20 last year (6:57 pace) - would hope to do something similar again.

Good set of runs from Jools, VTr and KR.

Hope Poacher arrived safely as has already starting making notes

Slightly odd set of runs today - I had 12 on the plan, but I woke up later than planned so ended up doing a 6.9 mile run to catch the train a bit further up the line than normal followed by 1.9 at the other end into the office. I then got distracted listening to the cricket before leaving the office so it made sense to throw in an extra 4.8 back to Wimbledon station bringing up 13.6 for the day.

Parkrun planned for tomorrow but will do the 3 lap course in a progressive way by way of preparation for Sunday.

• Options

Lots of great runs it seems over the last few days, particularly from Jools, lots of miles and then a fast 5 miler. Good luck to everyone racing this weekend, I'm sure there will be lots of great times to report next week...

My busy week at work this week so not managed to get out too much. Did 18 miles on Wednesday at an average of around 7:45. Then did a quick 7 miler this morning with hills and a couple of 5:30 miles in the middle. Stuck working all weekend so will be next week before I get out again image  Quiet week next week though so looking forward to ramping the milage up again.

30 days til Brighton image

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Freemers - good news that the achilles is manageable. All the best for Sunday.
    KR - hope the last pre-taper long run goes well.
    GD - enjoy your solo long run.
    Lorenzo - nice target for Sunday.
    JT - some nice sessions there and very fast ones too! Hope you can get some more miles in next week - just be careful not to do too many @ 5:30 m/m!
    12 mile MLR at a more relaxed pace. First 6 @ 8:45 and last 6 @ 8:07. Brings up the weekly total to 69. Rest day tomorrow and then cut-back week to follow.

• Options

Impressive weekly mileage there Gul - you've beaten me hands down this week!

Good pacey stuff JT - what's your target for Brighton?

Mission 90% accomplished at parkrun this morning - took it easy for the first half (10 mins exactly) and then picked up the pace in the second half to finish in around 19:48. Took me a while to get going as it was a bit chilly so that might be a good lesson for tomorrow as well. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

It was a weak field at our parkrun due to the last XC of the season later today. I did a 4 mile warm up then found myself in a 4 way shoot out for the win. I ended up 3rd in 18:29.

VT Runner. I've also been trying to clean up my diet this week with plenty of salads, fresh veg and lots of beetroot.

At least 20 planned tomorrow- see how the legs feel. Good luck to Freemers and any other weekend racers.

£30 in vouchers were waiting when I got home from my race last w/end. But junior OO already has her eye on them for new trainers image

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice parkruns Lorenzo and OO.

Great weekly total there Gul, impressive

My 20 turned into a 21 this morning when I couldn't be bothered to wait for heavy traffic to clear when crossing a road early in the run and went another way..

First half was a struggle to keep the speed down, which I guess is a good sign but I knew I'd pay after a race last week and a punishing speed session midweek.

Still, knocked it out a 7.51 pace which is probably too quick. All but 4 splits were sub-8 and injury pain was manageable thanks to a good stretch session beforehand and a good slathering of deep heat in the problem areas.

Legs feel proper mashed now. That's 51 miles for the past 7 days which is a big number for me (nothing for the likes of Gul et al!).

Weighed myself after my shower. 13st exactly. If only that was my regular weight. Still, the trend is down and I will hit the VMLM start line at 13st or lighter. (was 14st at Christmas image)

A few chores and then a sofa crash awaits. Good luck to all racers this weekend.

GD

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Nice mileage, Gul. Locked and loaded for your easy week. Enjoy the recovery.

Lorenzo, solid effort exactly to plan. Good luck today.

00, well done in the race. Your consistently consistent excellence in parkruns continues! Good luck later on the 20(+).

GD, you certainly get your quality work in each week! Now get some rest!!image And congrats on the slimming.

Did 7 easy miles yesterday and the work of the week was in full display. I was tired. Good sleep last night and LR later today. Is cold here again, but should be sunny which will make nice conditions.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Really tough 18M for me this morning: 7.59m/m but felt like hard work.  Without going into finer details, guts were a little unhappy and so I don't think there was much fuel in the tank, but I didn't want to risk adding anything to the mix...!  Still, it's done, and 88M in the last 7 days has left me cream crackered.  Off to a wedding reception tonight (hence the long run today), and a nice lazy lie in tomorrow image

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Freemers-all the best and watch that injuryimage

Jason- 5;30 miles are going some ,getting one is on my bucket list image

0053-nice parkrun and good luck with the 20+

Gul- another cracking week #mileage king !

GD- nice week and 21'er

VTR- when you say its cold I imagine icebergs and polar bears now image

Jools- that's a cracking week take it easy tonight image

6 with 3 hard miles 7:08,7:06 and 7:02 after nightshift I think things are starting to pickup at last !image

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

quick check-in before heading out for evening

Gul - excellent MLR - back in the day I'd have had to make it 13 to bag the round number for the week ! 

Jools - toughed-out runs very satisfying to get in the diary; excellent 7 day total also . . . .

Leslieimage

GD - great 21 - "a struggle to keep the speed down" - not a problem I have these days - however, 17 slow sociable miles this morn a satisying outing.

good luck to tomorrow's racers  . . . .

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

+1 for good luck to those racing or cracking out LRs. Build confidence, but don't burn all the matches. Above all,  "don't be s***".

Yesterday was spent in transit, woke up to a forecast of 38° this morning. Too grim to run outside so it was back to the gym for a lumbering 10k on the treadie. No real gymfails to report as the place was packed with professional footballers who looked hard as nails and very fit. I decided against challenging anyone to a treadie smackdown.

Run well in the morning everyone.

• Options

Gul / Lorenzo - I feel I have to confess that the 5:30 miles were on the down side of the hill I ran up, 2 miles up and then 2 miles down, so it was cheating a bit. Otherwise they would have been more like 6.15 mm. Lorenzo, I am looking for 3:14:59 or better for Brighton.

OO53 - great parkrun time, I would love to break the 19 minute barrier. Whats your PB out of interest ?

G-Dawg - good 21 miler after a tough week

Joolska - awesome running, 88 miles in a week is great

Good luck to all the Sunday racers...

As I am stuck at work all night, feeling lazy, I have signed up for a smart fit class on Monday night. High intesnity circuit training run by an ex army guy, never done anything like that so should be interesting to see what its like. Not sure how running on Tuesday will be afterwards tho image

• Options

Mission accomplished for me at the Cranleigh 15 miles this morning. image

Good to meet Freemers at the start (having spotted her fluorescent laces!) and have a quick chat before things got underway. Almost ideal conditions (cool, no wind) and the course is sufficiently rolling to be of interest despite the paucity of spectators on the route.

To cut a long story short, managed 6:45s for the first 6 or 7 miles (which were spent in the company of another Dorking runner so was chatting away), dropped a few seconds just after halfway but had enough left for a decent sprint finish over the last 100m to finish in 9th place in 1:42:33 (6:47 average for the 15.1 miles).

Pleased with that as it's almost 2 minutes quicker than last year. I suspect that a sub-3 isn't on the cards for London this year but sub-3:05 may well be. Aiming to stay under 7 min miles looks like it's the best bet.

Worth mentioning that this is an excellently organised, low key race that's perfect as part of the London build up. No messing around with long queues at the start, great value (£12), scenic course plus the benefit of a massage afterwards (£5 for 10 mins) followed by some excellent cake!

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Leslie, nice motoring. You are indeed getting back into the groove. No icebergs but it was upper 20s with a very stiff breeze and for some reason was colder than I would have expected. But speaking of icebergs, I just read the book Endurance by Alfred Lansing about Shackleton's ill fated attempt to cross Antarctica. What an incredible read. I highly recommend it. Those guys were incredible. 

Jools, BIG week there. Awesome. Hope you enjoyed the late sleep and day off.

Birch, that's a decent LR. I assume knee is OK as you don't mention it...

Lorenzo, beautiful performance. You must be very pleased with that result. I'd say you are in perfect shape for the upcoming marathon.

I ended up shooting for a 20M LR yesterday but was running in a new area as had dropped daughter off for a playdate and ran from there. Got a little backwards in my math and ended up with 22.5. Started off feeling great but core got tight in middle, but then the last 4 miles it eased and I got a nice pace going. Good energy return for the end made for a nice way to end my week. I haven't officially totaled it all up, but think I managed ~77 for the past 7 days, including 2 subLTs and a minor subLT. I'll take that after no running and the gutting virus last week. One more big week and then taper for Boston. Still not sure what my pacing strategy will be but I suspect I'll be fit enough to get around well whatever it turns out to be.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Particularly good to Leslie getting a bit of speed up.  Decent pace for this stage of a recovery.

Some good runs noted - either long (Jools, GD, VTR) or decent parkruns (OO, Lorenzo).  Sorry of I missed some.

Good paced 15 miles Lorenzo.  Are you sure you want to rule yourself out of sub-3 yet?  Don't you think it is feasible to do 11 more at a slightly slower pace after a bit more training and a taper?

38km / about 24 miles this morning as I start to increase the distance of the LSR and make them VLSRs (Very Long Slow Run).  Energy started to flag with 8 miles to go - I was just very hungry.  The last 10km I was so hungry I was fantasizing about food and managed a 4 course breakfast when I got home.image

No repeat of the sore knee so it seems like a one-off.  84km / 52 miles for the week off 3 days running - happy with that given I took 3 days rest to heal my knee problem.  Must get into bigger numbers next week and the following 7 weeks though - not sure what I am capable of at the moment, but the initial target is about 70mpw.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nice unexpected 22.5 VTR, things looking good for Boston.

GD, 13 stone is a lot to lug around 21 @ 7:50 pace looks impressive,

Great 15 miler Lorenzo, did you feel you could have gone further and maintained the pace?

Good to hear your confidence Leslie- it always follows your form.

Jason, my PB is 17:40 at parkrun but last year my best was just outside 18- not sure I could go below again.

Today was a tough 20 miler but nice to chat with my club pals at 8:20 pace. Half were at 7:50. My hip was tight so I was just happy to get round and score 56 for the week.  

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Jason -don't go mad at bootcamp too much potential for injury !

Lorenzo - nice 15 @ mara pace image and they had cake too image

VTR- nice over long 20 in a cracking week ,I hope to stay in one piece long enough to crank out that sort of mileage well that's the plan anyway image

Bikeit good miles of 3 days a full week should see some big numbers ,definitely good to be getting back properly after so long stuck to the bench I haven't ran much summer running this last 2 years due to injury all I got was lots of cold winter running which is a bit grim .

0053 - nice social 20 and good week image

10.5 this morn I thought id be smashed after yesterday but after a slow start from halfway the pace started to pickup again and  finishing the last mile in 7:30 image

49 miles for the week and 9.5kg dropped since xmas day image I would need near the same again off though before I get back to race weight image No cake for me !

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - good solid 15 - as BikeIt said, I wouldn't rule out sub 3 . . .

20 well banked, OO , after nippy parkrun y'day 

splendid long running BikeIt & VTr

can still feel knee, VTr, but seems to have settled - did 8 with my daughter today, so a 25 mile weekend -  it's when I attempt quicker pace that I have to be careful.  

• Options

You lot are terrible! Given that I'll have tapered, it's a flat course and there will be millions of people shouting out my name (well maybe not the last of these!) I might just have to go out at 6:50 pace and just see how long I can hold on for. image

Good long runs from BI, OO and VTr but the best news is to see the excellent progress that Leslie is making. 

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - windows of sub3 opportunity don't present themselves very often to most of us.  You are probably in better shape than you have ever been so may as well go for it.  London isn't necessarily the fastest course or the best time of year but if you can get a strong 3:0X in the spring who's to say a cooler autumn day might not be your day if you could commit to another campaign?

Good outings by so many - and impressive non-cake eating weight loss from Leslie.

VTR  - make sure the Boston strategy leaves time for a few snogs at Wellesley.

7m on the treadie tonight, 40 for the week, but chronically short of LRs

• Options

Nice one there VTR and also a lot of others doing solid run runs.

20 miles today, first half a bit slower than last week (planned), second half faster (also planned) and overall faster (not planned). Saw the Garmin show sub-6 on one downhill section and that mile was 6:30 and followed that up with a 6:55 on the flat. Now know that sub-3 is not on the cards (6:52 average needed) but won't be far off so may be looking to buddy up with Lorenzo. 3:07:48 last year so anything faster than that will be fine.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Evening folks! Haven't had a proper read back yet but looks like it's been a busy/productive day for many.

Lorenzo  - Cracking 15. Pin a number on and as you say, factor the taper and you are in with a very decent shout. Well done!

Jools - That is some mileage crammed into 7 days, and with your workload and other stuff I'm not surprised you're feeling it. I'd be in hospital if I tried that!image A very fast 5 miler too. Sub 30 is within your reach. Hope you enjoyed the lie in and the wedding reception.

OO - Another fast parkrun noted and well done on the health kick, can't be easy with all the travelling you do? Well done on the 20 and a decent weekly score too. Hope the hip behaves itself, I had similar issues after I ran 23.5 a few weeks back and thankfully it's fine now.

G-Dawg - That's a fast 21. IIRC you are quite tall? Well done on the weight loss. I've shed 10lbs since xmas would love to shed another 7 before Manchester.

Leslie - 9.5kg's is a massive drop! Glad to see you back doing good mileage and running well again.

Bike it - Glad the knee is better and 38k is a proper long run. What is your longest run pencilled in for Comrades? I've had that hunger pang thing on some long runs too. Curious to know what the 4 courses where?

VTr - Well done on your unplanned 22.5. Nearly there now!

Poacher - Professional footballers looking hard as nails? Where they female footballers by any chance?? image

Jason - 6:15mm is still moving some. Haha I bet that HIIT is gonna hurt a bit. What doesn't kill you and all.image

Birch - Nice weekend running.

PMJ - Well done on banking another 20. Don't give up on the sub 3 just yet, I like the idea of you and Lorenzo buddying up.

I've had a reasonable week here but nothing spectacular. I didn't do that 5k race as planned last week as I needed a bit of recovery time and didn't think it would helo with the pending A race. Re LSR's - in this campaign I've managed to do a 17/ 20/ 22/ 23.5 and another 17.5 last week which was an aborted 20 attempt after experiencing some issues with my left hip and glute. I had really hoped to do at least 4 x 20 but I guess that was a bit on the optimistic side given what's what here. Today a friend offered to help out and look after my boy so I could do another long run. I decided to bin the idea of another 20 and do a 16 with 10 @MP. I have been scraping 40 mile weeks on my on weeks and 20ish on my off weeks and haven't done any MP runs of note so thought that was the best thing to do as next weekend is a total write off. Any how's, today's run turned into 2 w/u and 13 @ MP and 1 w/d. Took me a while to get in the groove but that's to be expected having not done any real quality long runs but was glad to have got that box ticked. Less than 3 weeks to go now and have yet to decide what MP is. I think the sensible thing to do would be to enjoy this marathon and have a positive experience and aim for a realistic target instead of being greedy or unrealistic. It's so easy to opt for the latter strategy in the mind but it's all about the training you put in at the end of the day, without even factoring in weather or any other variables. image