Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nice race fishy,  and congrats on the parkrun victory moof.

I only made 7th, battling snow and hale stones at my local parkrun_ 19:15.

Last long run tomorrow, I'm going to enjoy this one

• Options

Congrats to Moof on being first finisher (I got told off on here for claiming a "victory" in a run, not a race!) image

Sounds like it was a tough one for you OO (hailstorms in April?!) - I guess it was the opposite in the Lakes for Fishy.

Jools - as you say, the mojo must just have been saving itself for the streets of London.

Well done on 3 hours in the rain Gul

Good luck tomorrow JT, and also to VTr on Monday. I've got to see if I can get a pass out to Boston some time.

Parkrun for me this morning - undulating and muddy in places so I guess 20:02 counts as so-so. Was hoping for a bit quicker though; I've told myself that forgetting to have any beetroot juice was the root cause, rather than any fundamental fitness issues. 10 or so planned with a mate tomorrow morning - weather looks as though it'll be very pleasant.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Fishy-great comeback 10k time you will soon be sub 40 .

Poacher -solid improvement there 

Birch- nice 13

0053- nice parkrun we only had hailstones here 

Lorenzo- get filled up with the red racing juice 

12 this morn tried to pick up the pace  to 10 miles then 2 easy uphill home 

37m for the week.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Any news from Brighton?
    Fishy - excellent comeback 10k on a hilly course.
    Poacher - I might do something really outrageous like carry them in my hand.
    Birch - probably a wise move. I'd certainly jump at anywhere near 3:04:xx! Even better would be 2:58 from a week and a half agoimage
    Jools - definitely saving it for next Sunday!
    OO - hope you had a good last long run.
    Lorenzo - certainly plenty of mud around. Nice and sunny today though.
    Leslie - good solid week.
    Wedding anniversary today, so didn't risk sneaking in a run - my legs will probably thank me for that.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Good work Wally on the PB.

Great persistence in the rain Gul.

Good to see Leslie building steadily after all you have been through.

Nice 10k Fishy.

10km yesterday at MP. 35km/22miles this morning. 77 miles for the week in a Cutback week from what I have been doing. Generally I am feeling much fitter than a month ago. Another 2 big (for me) weeks then 4w taper.

Best wishes in Boston VTR
  • Options

Sounds as though the training is going well BI - 77 miles in a cutback week is impressive.

Hope you had a good wedding anniversary Gul!

Glorious running weather down here today so met up with a mate and ended up doing 12.5 undulating and muddy off-road miles. Rest day scheduled for tomorrow.

• Options

So I am back from Brighton after completing my first marathon and the headline news is that I didn't quite make it  image

Split times were as follows: 7.33, 7.25, 7.21, 7.21, 7.23, 7.26, 7.26, 7.17, 7.27, 7.16, 7.24, 7.20,7.14, 7.18, 7.23, 7.22, 7.21, 7.27, 7.23, 7.27, 7.33, 7.42, 7.52, 7.59, 8.13, 8.24

For a total finishing time of 3:17:42

The weather was amazing... a little too amazing to be honest, was very hot and I forgot to put sun cream on so have a lovely red face now!!

As you can see from the splits I just couldn't keep going from mile 21. Having only run a max of 22 miles in training, nothing had prepared me for just how tough those last 4 miles are. I know people tell you that, but until you have done it yourself it doesn't really mean anything.

Everything was going great to start with and I hit the half at 1:37, bang on target pace and maintained it til mile 21 where I was still on target, but a combination of the heat and my legs just refusing to move as quickly as I wanted them too paid its toll and I finished a minute a mile slower.

Thankfully there were lots of water stations, as i was throwing a cup over my head at every one of them to cool down. The crowds were amazing and the support fantastic. The crowds were 4 deep in places. Organisation was great and I couldn't fault much apart from the farcical number or toilets, the queues were immense and at least 50% of the runners would have had to abort their need for pee to get to the start in time. Luckily I got there early and didn't suffer from that. The local shell garage had a queue 50 yards long even.

It was a great experience for my first marathon though and I now have a real world marathon experience to base my future training on. I am hoping to break the 3:15 next time in Abingdon in October.

As an aside I somehow managed to find myself on the first row at the start line... Not really where I wanted to be, so I dropped back a row so as not to be so obvious.. if you watch the Marathon on C4 on Saturday next week, you will see a bemused me setting off amidst all the quick people.. yellow clanfield t-shirt, number 1813.

Hope anyone else running today had as good am experience image

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    JT! Excellent result - might not be the sub3:15 you wanted but that is an excellent debut time (a good half hour quicker than my first one). Another campaign under your belt will see you well under - no problem! Well done sir!
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Great report JT and you should be really pleased with your time for a first marathon. As you say, there's nothing to compare with 'a real world marathon experience'. You have a great block of training and a cracking time to build on for Abingdon - but take it easy now - recuperate and recover.

Best of luck VTR

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Good work on your inaugural marathon JT. Looks like your pacing was good. Another autumn campaign will see you run sub 3:15
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Great debut, JR. You'll be that bit stronger each marathon you do and that sub 3.15 will come soon. Enjoy celebrating!
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

JT - Well done, that's a great result for your first one!

VTr - Huge good luck vibes from this side for tomorrow. Go well and hope you have a pleasant jaunt around Boston.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Yes, best of luck tomorrow VTr! Smash it.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Indeed JT thats a great time and no shame in the last 5miles, we haveall been there. It took me a good few marathons to get to 3:17 so well done.

Happy anniversary Gul

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Best of luck, VTr!

• Options
    CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Cracking splits them from Brighton, very well done indeed JT.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - nice cut-back week!
    Lorenzo - good muddy off-road run.
    JT - excellent effort in Brighton. That's a good result for your first marathon and very close to your target. Well done. Sub 3:15 should be achievable in Abingdon.
    All the best to VTr today.
    6 mile recovery run this morning to start the week.

• Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Well done JT, as others have said that's a fantastic marathon debut, and the fade in the last few miles is only relatively minor

What are the other VMLMers doing this week? I've got one session planned for tomorrow (though will probably do it tonight instead), amongst easy runs, but I'm worried that it's a bit too challenging this close to the race. It's 9M made up of 2M easy, 4M at 10 secs faster than MP, then 3M easy - would be very interested to know what other people think of this? Thanks in advance
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes looks too tough LB70. I'll be doing a couple of easy 5 milers, that's all...

Bike it, just spotted you massive miles. Over the 15 weeks of my VLM campaign, I've only averages 48.5 miles per week. image

• Options

Thanks all for the nice comments. Just been out for a walk around the block to get the legs moving, fairly stiff today.

Good luck to VTr in Boston

LB70 - that sounds like a tough session.

Hope everyone doing London enjoys a restful week ready for the off on Sunday.

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Morning all

Back from holiday and just hooked up to the internet for the first time in more than 10 days....need to read back properly, but looks like a mixed bag of results from Manchester, and horrendous baggage storage as well which must have been a nightmare. 

Poacher - nice training run!

KR - that's a great new PB, particularly as you must have had to keep dodging slower runners after the late start...keep chipping away for the sub-3

CSMLFC - a 21 minute PB can't be bad!

Gerard - such a shame about the injury and stomach issues.  Well done for toughing it out, I'm not sure I would have done.

Wally - that's a great PB for you as well. Sounds like a very well executed race.

Also spotted BB with an incredible result so soon after the lay off and a great debut from JT at Brighton image

Did a few OK runs on holiday - nothing too taxing. Then yesterday I did my usual run the week before VLM which was the Bungay Half - cracking little race, just pootled round nice and steady but with some quick miles at the end. Mixed weather conditions - started nice and warm and sunny but then ran through a couple of (painful) hail storms!

The Half is part of the rather grandly named "Bungay Running Festival" - they also do a full marathon and a 10k all starting at different times.  The full starts 2 hours before the half, and they just do two laps, so you get to see the leaders come through while waiting for the start.  Also there was a guy who set off with the full marathoners, but was only planning to do one lap....because he was carrying a full length fridge on his back image. I passed him in the last mile, and it looked painful!

Hope the taper is going well for the VLM crew. I'm be at the expo on Saturday on my way down to stay at my brothers.  I hate the expo on Saturday as it gets really crowded, so I will definitely be in and out as quick as I can.

And good luck to VTr for Boston today!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Excellent debut, JT -  many congrats !  (and fine report, too)  

Wouldn't do that session, LB70  . . . .  

Freemers  - sounds an enjoyable "pootle" - hope the fridge guy got a chorus of "freezer" jolly good fellow    when he finished  . . . . .

stay calm this week, you taperers  . . . . .

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

oh, and good luck to VTr  . .

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Max temp forecast for Boston today is only 15C - good news.

Nice debut JT, no training plan or grizzled veteran can really get across just how grim those last few miles can be. Abingdon is a fairly fast course run at the right time of year, so if you get things right, you could/should be able to knock a good chunk off that time.

Freemers, well done on passing the fridge fella - as you chicked him, did he give you an icy stare of the cold shoulder? Maybe he had a handy bag of frozen peas for post-race recovery.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Welcome back, Freemers. That bloke is Tony the Fridge. I stood next to him on the start of the Surrey Half last month. Cool guy! image

Good luck to VTr today.

Proper stressed today. final week of taper and I think it's getting to me. Loads of IT failures at work this morning and had to give a remote demo to prospects in Norway. Somehow managed to do it but my shoulders were all tense. So, I convinced myself I had the onset of flu. image
    Took my resting heart rate, 42. Good stuff, not fighting flu, just tense.

FFS! I've done marathons 4 times in the past 3 years, I can do this!
    Weather looks perfect for Sunday. Hold on, haven't checked it for 30 mins...yep, still looking good.

Sports massage tonight. My left hammy needs proper attention, the pain has been going into my lower back. I need my fizz to work a miracle.

GD

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I often wondered if Tony the fridge has a couple of cold beers in there for after the race- might as well get some benefit  from it.

Welcome back freemers, sounds like a nice half

All the best Vtr we look forward to your report image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Poacher - Indeed re Boston. Looks like max 59F in VTr currency or thereabouts and not the 70F he was worried about. Very good news that!

• Options

Looks like you know your own body to judge the running SJ, hope you can still keep training well.

Cracking 10k time Fishy, I'm sure that pint tasty well!

A good time on feet there Gul. Did your gels stay in the pockets ok?

Top mileage there BikeIt - 77 in a cut back week!

A great debut and a good time Jason and the mile splits show a good consistent race. This shows you ran it well without any silly fast early miles. Sub 3.15 is definitely there.

Would have been impressed if fridge man had lollies in there Freemers

Good luck to Vtr!!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I went out for my planned 5 miler today, knowing I can't run again until Friday. It all felt good so I extended it to 9 miles. First 5 at plod pace last 4 at 8min./miles. That really is it...

Weather looking a bit freaky for London next weekend. Temps falling, 40% possibility of rain and windy.   

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

These big miles I'm doing at the moment are run very slow - typical pace would be something around 8:30 per mile with heart rate around 130.  I want to run 90km over hills at an average pace faster than 6 minute per km or 9:40 per mile.  To do that  I want to train specifically for the later stages and avoid the dramatic slowdown that often comes during longer distances.  I decided to run with legs that are constantly tired for weeks on end without injuring myself.  This way I would simulate the tiredness of the later stages and train myself to run at an acceptable speed on tired legs.  The only way to do that seems to be to run high mileage. 

There is little speed - I will run about 4miles at MP a week.  I seek out hills (or make them on the treadmill).  I run with a rucksack in the week that is typically around 2-3kg or 5kg if I take my laptop.

I have a few niggles but all manageable - I wake up more tired than when I went to bed some days. I eat enough for 2 people.

In 40 days I hope to tell you that it worked and was worthwhile.  Until then it is a bit of an experiment to compensate for my lack of speed.