Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Awesome BI. Really impressed by that approach. Hope it does the business for you.

GD

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

BI - which bit are you really steeling yourself for? Is it the long cambered downhills, or the soul-less motorways on the way into Durban, or something else?  I found those motorways extremely hard with with the heat, lack of support, shattered lower body and the thin-ness of the field by that stage of the race. However the Kingsmead finish is surely better than Pmb.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Good question Poacher. The toughest part for me whilst in a decent condition is going up and down over the mighty Inchanga, through Drummond and up the other side to Botha's Hill (50 km). Off Botha's Hill things are not too bad until Fields Hill where the gradient and camber is punishing. After that just the toughest half- marathon awaits on exhausted legs
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Jason T – Well done on your great marathon debut. 3:17 really is a fantastic time and your slow down was still well managed. At least you didn’t fall apart completely and got to the end without walking.

For some context, my first two marathon were 3:52 and then 3:48, and it wasn’t until my 5th marathon that I went sub 3:15. It wasn’t until my 9th marathon that I broke 3:10, although I did smash it with a 2:56. My PB is now 2:51 and I’ve gone sub 3 in 12 occasions. image

Good luck Vtr!

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Jason - that's a cracking first mara time ,sub3 potential in the future for sure image

Bikeit you will be in your best comrades shape ever .

Freemers- Tony the fridge is a legend !

5 easy today.

Vtr- come on man how did you do ? image

• Options
    Hi all, been offline for 2weeks but read back and really enjoyed the race reports from Manchester and Brighton.

My sympathy to KR for the testing situation but the composure to still pull out a Pb. I understand the need to find balance with family too. Perhaps time to focus on smashing Shorter distance Pb?

GM so sorry it wasn't your day to make a Pb but well done for taking so much pleasure in the wider experience. No doubt you will return stronger having shown so much grit

Poacher and CSM great runs too and JT fantastic job in Brighton.

Looking forward to a Boston update.

I have enjoyed the first two weeks of taper, reminds me that running 10m with a friend and cafe afterwards is a pleasure to the industry of what has come before, clocked 798 miles in 2016 but feel strong and ready for London. 2.59 is my target. I will hit the expo Friday when my frenzy of carnival excitement will really take off. I am in the fgfa red start in a blue Yorkshire cancer research vest with a beard if anyone wants to chat ahead of the start. I would happily join a 2.59 train...I AM S O EXCITED
  • Options
    Bike it amazing training over the last few months. Immense Mileage

Bad ark, sub 3 on no trading, does not compute. Are you actually part machine?
  • Options

JT - awesome stuff. To do 3:17 on your debut is very impressive and bodes well for the future. I haven't quite managed the spectacular improvement of Badbark, but I've from a debut time of 3:34 it took me until no. 4 to go sub 3:30 and no. 9 to go sub 3:15.

NM3 - I'll also be on the red start, probably in a pale blue Water Aid vest (no. 31909). Am still debating whether to be cautious and target sub 3:05, or whether to go out at 6:52 pace and see if I can hold on for a sub-3. 

I suspect I'll go for the latter, in which case I may well try and locate the sub-3 pacer as being part of a paced group really helped me in Comrades last year. Will look out for you - which part of God's own country are you from?

VTr - have you finished yet?! image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

There are a few of us on fgfa red Neil. We seem to meet up near the coffee stall most years. My target is very similar to yours.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

I watched the Boston marathon today and it looked very sunny. Hope Vtr didn't feel too warm. That finish looks tough to say the least. Poacher iirc you did Boston. How did it compare to other road ones you have done. It's the only big one that I fancy but I'll have to get the gfa first to do that.image

Freemers - Welcome back and thanks, sounds like you had a nice time away. You're man with the fridge must be bonkers.

Bike it - Very good attention/application to detail. Have you done as much prep for others that you have done? I hope you can hold it all together for the big day and if you can I think you're going to do well.

JT - Yep, 3:17 as a debut is an indicator of how much scope you have to run faster with more experience under your belt. I did 3:29 as my 1st, then 3:27, then 3:20 and my last was a disaster 3:34, but it does bode well for you for sure. What are your other pb's over the shorter stuff, can't remember if you posted them but you must have some speed in them legs.

Badbark - You've come along way and run a long way to get where you are now. Very inspiring stuff indeed.

Lorenzo - I say go for it if you are in good shape. It's a really fickle thing for most of us and you never know what's around the corner in life. I hope you can give it your best come Sunday.

NM3 -  Thanks man. Very good mileage and you sound very positive, that's a really good sign. Based on your previous and your short stuff I reckon you are being very sensible and your target is achievable. Good luck on Sunday!

Gul - Belated happy anniversary! When is your 10k?

OO - Shame your property acquisition didn't go through in time for VLM but hopefully it will soon and you'll be settled in there for next year.

Would it be possible for someone to take the initiative to compose a list of VLM runners with their numbers? I will be out at rugby with my son but would like to see how everyone is doing in the town.image

• Options

A good plan of train gin there BikeIt. Are you doing the run walk strategy too?

Good luck with your target NM3.

Managed a 5 miler tonight without stopping to stretch. I've had bad calf cramp in the 2 runs and they have been more walk/run. So hoping I can ease back into a bit of running now.

Looking forward to hearing all your London reports & times. Hoping you are all enjoying the taper madness! I found the pre-packs of jelly a good carb loader as it is very digestible & light and about 25g (strawberry flavour) of carbs in a pot!

• Options

OK GM - here goes, together with a target (over the moon if I get it), b target (pretty chuffed) and c target (OK with this one)

Lorenzo - red GFA 31909 a: 2:59:59 b: 3:04:59 c: 3:06:52 (PB)

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

First, thanks to all for the well wishes! I was thinking of my internet buddies on the course!! Below is my short report (am half asleep but thought I would get something out there while it was still fresh).

Race day was forecast to be 60 and sunny. But turns out that was for Boston, not Hopkinton or the other small towns along the course. It was easily in the 70s when we took off at 10:25 am. I knew by 3 miles my aspirations for a PB attempt were off. My HR was high and the effort to knock out 7:20 miles was not insignificant. So my plan to go out around 7:00 to 7:05 pace was binned. I decided to keep a close eye on my HR and not let my effort get too high too early. The first 5 miles have large stretches of downhill running. I kept my HR in check and tucked in around 7:20 to 7:30 range. Then the course levels out a bit and rolls. These miles stayed at the same pace but my legs didn’t feel great and neither did my stomach. I drank a lot early on as I felt very parched from the start. Eventually my thirst subsided but every time I took another gel or my electrolyte tabs my stomach revolted a bit. My wife and her siblings were cheering like crazy at mile 10.5 and this was a huge lift. I felt like it pulled me back from an abyss. I reached halfway at 1:37:30, so bang on for a 3:15 marathon. Then the real fun started in Newton. Hills, and lots of them. I forget how many times we climbed but the first 3 or 4 I was very strong and in control on. Passing lots of people (and many dropping out already). Then at least 2 more I thought were Heartbreak, but weren’t (which was a little demoralizing!). These started to take something from my legs but I kept on. Then Heartbreak arrived and I scaled it well but legs definitely had felt the early downhill mixed now with all the climbing. That uphill section from about 15-21 saw my pace fall to ~7:40 m/m. Wind strong in our faces now for the final stretch. Many of the last 5 miles are either downhill or flat (but Poacher, you are correct, there plenty of uphill stretches too!). So I had thought I’d be golden on these final miles but legs felt otherwise. Miles 21-23 were hard (but got back to just under 7:30). Then the sheer enormity of the cheering in the final 2 miles picked me up. Finished with a pair of 7:15s and a very fast last 0.2. Final time was 3:16:4X. Aside from my other spring marathon where I pushed too hard in the heat (and blacked out at 26.1 miles!), this one was by far the next hardest. But I ran a small positive split and felt I adjusted to the conditions well. I didn’t feel great for much of this one but am happy with the final result as I felt I learned a lot in this race. It was indeed an epic experience to be a part of such a communion between runners and fantastic fans. I must have high 5’d 50 little kids in the first 2 miles alone. My other favorites were the Wellesley Scream tunnel and the Heartbreak Hill cheering section (and the final couple miles where people were 8 deep on both sides).

As a postscript, I had to put my feet up in the medical tent for a while as was not feeling terrific after, but was soon well enough to move along. The only other 2 people I knew running were my old classmate who did 2:50 last fall in the Twin Cities marathon (today he had a 1:23 first half but finished in 3:06) and my cousin who is a sub3 guy (he did a 1:30 half but imploded to a 4:01 finish). The conditions were very tough and the course itself was pretty challenging. Boston is not to be taken lightly! One time might be enough for me as I think I prefer the fall race where weather is less of factor.

Will read back soon as haven’t had time to properly read the past few days.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Sounds like you ran very sensibly, VTr, and that's a result to be proud of.  Great report!

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

VTR- nice report and great running in tough conditions, well done.image

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Great report VTR. Looks like you ran really well in difficult conditions on a tough course. You paced it well, with hardly any fade and a fast final 2. Take it easy and recover well.

Nice targets Lorenzo. I'm looking forward to following all at VLM this Sunday.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

LB70 - I think 5 or 6 M with 2 @ MP  would be more than enough at this stage.
    Freemers - welcome back. Good going at the Bungay Half.
    Poacher - only 15C? Sounds like a heatwave to me.
    GD - taper madness in full swing!
    KR - they were zipped jacket pockets, so no problem there!
    OO - are you sure that's it?
    Bike It - cracking plan and well executed.
    NM3 - good to hear how you're getting on. All the best for Sunday.
    Lorenzo - how's the beetroot juice going down?
    GM - 10k is on 1st May.
    VTr - great result in the heat - enjoyed your report.
    11 miles with 6 x 1k efforts this morning, ranging from 5:55 (down"hill") to 6:30 (up"hill") m/m.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

VTr - ". I didn’t feel great for much of this one but am happy with the final result " 

I should think so, my friend - ( or, in your honour, buddyimage   - to run such a small positive split on this course, whilst not feeling the best, is a splendid achievement. 
    Great job !!  imageimage    (and hope you enjoyed a glass or two of Sam Adams Boston Lager to rehydrate )  . . . . . .

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

x-post - (another) fine early session, Gul  -  trumps my 3 x 1 mile in the park at 2pm y'day  . . . 

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Sounds exhausting VTr! Very well done on an excellently well managed race (and a great report). Sounds like lots of others suffered in less than ideal conditions. I noted that the winning times were on the slow side this year too.
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    How were the Claytons?
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Great race management, VTr, well played!

GD

• Options

Congrats VTr, a great time on what sounds like a tough course. Especially given you weren't feeling great.

Thanks for all the comments regarding peoples time progression from their first marathon onwards, some amazing improvements among them. Not sure I can ever hope to join you amazing sub 3 hour people, (particularly Badbark at an amazing 2:51 and a dozen sub 3's), but they have given me the belief that I will go on to beat 3:15

GerardM - My shorter distances are what I want to work on for the next few months. Currently my 5k and 10k pb's are 19:23 and 39:54. I am not sure I have too much more room for improvement tho at the short stuff tho, I think I will fair better at improving the half marathon and upwards distances.

Nice work out there Gul

Went out for a gentle 3m recovery this morning, which was good to get done.

Looking forward to reading all the VLM reports.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Jason, you've plenty to come, I would say - this was only your debut.  My 1st attempt  was a 4.14 horror show (I didn't have a clue what I was doing), but a year later I managed a 3.01, then next 17 outings  (with exception of an ill-fated DNF) were all between 2.46 & 2.59.  You've time on your side, and if you apply yourself (Jools is a perfect example to follow), then who knows what you could do . . . . .

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Very kind of you, Birch.  It is true that you don't need a huge amount of talent to run sub-3, just a fair bit of work and consistent training.  I ran about 3.30 back in 2006 and chipped away at that over the years to break 3 hours in 2013 and 2.50 last April.  Good things come to those who wait!

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Great report VTr - and a great result considering you didn't feel great.  I saw the winners times (men and women) were a bit down on pace so you were in good company!

Update on fridge man - turns out it was a freezer and not Tony after all:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/cool_runnings_runner_prepares_for_bungay_half_marathon_with_a_freezer_on_his_back_1_4433743

Nice 5 miles this morning in the sunshine. 

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Glorious sunshine and warm up in the lakes today

Forecast looks cool for The Smoke on Sunday - let's hope the wind stays away!

How are the jangling nerves?
  • Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    They're definitely jangling SH!

Well done VTr, that's a great run on a hard course and in tough conditions!

I reduced yesterday's run to 7M with the middle three at MP (was feeling good and the MP miles were a tad fast at an average of 6.57). Just 6M easy planned for tonight

I'm on the green start (race no. 27082). Target is to be within the range of 3:05 and 3:09:59, so dream target of 3:04:59, main target of 3:07:30 and c target of 3:09:59 ( though would also of course celebrate if I missed all three but beat my PB of 3:11:25!)

Who else is on the green start and what pace will you be starting at?
  • Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Slokey, meant SJ not SH - alway's a problem when typing on the iPhone!
  • Options
    VTR , well done on a very controlled Boston. It sounds really difficult as well as iconic course.

Adding to the list, I am VLM number 30,594. My a,b,c targets are 2:58:xx, 2:59:59, 3:01:24 (Pb)

Track for me tonight 4m incl 10*200m in 40s with 1min jog recoveries. Sunny here so looking forward to it.