Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Madbark - only you could say you were never going to do a 12 hour race again and then decide to do a 24 hour one!!!

4.5 easy miles for me this morning running back after dropping my bike off for service / repairs at the local(ish) bike shop. Sounds like I might be getting a £300 bill for everything that needs doing. image

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

MB why not come over and do the Thames Ring or JOGLE? A stroll in the park for you.

OO - Berlin is very flat. Obvious place to run is the Tiergarten which is central, nr Reichstag and Brandenburg Gate. But public transport is good so it's easy to get out into countryside. A surprisingly green city.

Lorenzo - ouch

I realised it WASNT raining this morning and decided to get out - the Ashbourne HM was not far away and seemed like a good chance for a hard MLR. It's a tough course with a hill way at halfway which is steep enough to have hairpin bends. I drove down early and was horrified to be given race number 1. No pressure then! One of the most attractive races in the country I suspect - glorious scenery but loads of hills. I walked bits of the hills image but ran the rest quite hard. Not seen the results but think it was top 20 and possible OG50 podium.  1.34 was even a course pb and 9 min faster than last year, although I only had one working cruciate then.  Feeling a bit fitter for the Coastal Run later this month. Onward and upward.

Gul you probably know the area but Ashbourne/Dovedale is lovely, might be a nice trip for you with plenty of hills for MrsG.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, Poacher - sounds like tough work but worth it!

Calf survived the 3,000m, albeit in trainers not spikes.  10.52 is 6s slower than my pb and 3s slower than my season's best, so a reasonable result. 

• Options

Jools - excellent result in the 3000m. Looks like I may have to do one next weekend and if I could get anywhere close to 11:00 I'd be delighted.

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Great impromptu half marathoning there Poacher. Mrs. F1 is from near there, so I know the area quite well. Very hilly, but certainly beautiful too. 1:34 is a really decent time on that course.

Glad your calf is ok Jools. Your 3000m is definitely a reasonable result. 5:50s is speedy by my reckoning.

Ahh...bike repairs Lorenzo. Always a strain on the bank balance. Mine is making some strange noises at the moment...I keep putting off the inevitable visit!

A fairly decent week for me last week, with a good tri mix of running, cycling, swimming and weights. Another track session of 4x1000, proved stimulating.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - nice racing in the rain.
    Lorenzo - good parkrun.
    OO - decent mileage and parkrun too. Enjoy Berlin.
    SJ - hoping that niggle goes away.
    Jools - excellent miles and good news on the calf. Good result in the 3000m too.
    BB - go for the win!
    Poacher - great racing - hope you got yourself a podium finish as well as a course PB. Yes, it's a lovely area - I think I'd better stick to walking those hills or else they'll kill me.
    Fishy - sounds like a good week.
    Turned out to be a weekend of no running for me. Overslept on Saturday morning after a late night and as it was supposed to be a cut-back week I thought it was time to pamper Mrs GD with home-grown strawberries and honey waffles before taking her to hear Simply Red on Sunday evening (Christmas present!) So another late night and just 6 easy commuting miles this morning - it's hot out there!

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Lorenzo- must be an expensive bike image

Poacher- nice mountainous half 

Jools- not too shabby at all image

Fishy- nice mixed week 

after 2 rest days image 11 yesterday ,6 easy, 4 progression 7:45 to 6:45 then 1 easy again felt better as the run went on image

only 31 last week but had to cut back for my race.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Good stuff gang. Can't believe BB has entered a 24 hour! image

Did my track session on Thursday, 8x800 with 90 sec recoveries. All reps were under 3 mins ad averaged at around 2.53.

Followed that up with 27 holes of golf on Friday at our annual golf day and then a 17 mile LSR on Saturday morning. I was a bit tired!

That went OK. First 10 miles were a struggle due to fatigue in the legs but body felt fine. Strangely, the final 5 miles were quite bouncy and I felt much better. 8.10 avg pace, so ideal I guess?

Have taken comments on-board and have put more sensible pace against some runs  to avoid burn-out.

GD

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips Poacher and a very tasty half. I shall have to keep my eye on you at the Coastalimage You too Jools, fine effort all things considered.

Junior OO ran her first fell race yesterday, up and down Skiddaw in the Lakes, finishing first U20 lady. I've run up Skiddaw several times and it sure is a beast.

It is indeed a fine day out there
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Great result on that course, Poacher

good decision to eschew the spikes, Jools, in view of recent calf niggle

nice long running, GD 

only 5 miles last week, due to a few issues, but today's 6 felt like I was wearing ankle weights !  Very heavy legged  . . . 

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Up and down Skiddaw, heck that's a long slog. Not a fell but a mountain. Excellent result from jnrOO, she will be able to drag dad plus his pipe/slippers round the Coastal. image

Sensible decision and a nice result Joolska, 

Gul - sounds you are planning to duck part 2 of the smackdown....

Birch - quite a few Steel City runners out yesterday, some of them are rapid up and down hill but less so on the (very occasional) flat bits. Shows how hilly Sheff is. Final score was 20th and 2nd OG50, not a big race but first age group podium for ages. Bring it on.

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Good racing Jools and Poacher. Glad to hear the calf is better J.

Good mileage at the half year mark everyone. I managed 217 miles in June and 1300 through June. 73 miles the past 7 days so think I'm finally adjusting to higher volume again. Back still touchy though.

On vacation this week so lots of sun and grilling. And a cutback week so just easy runs.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Some amazing miles logged for the year already, well played! Only 834 for me but well on the way to being my biggest ever year.

6 miles tonight at 6.52 pace.

GD

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - good progressive run.
    GD - good reps and VLR.
    Birch - hope you find a bit of zing today!
    Poacher - that sounds like a challenge! Have you a time and place in mind?
    VTr - enjoy the sunshine and rest!
    GD - nice nippy 6 miler.
    Another 3 miles on the way home yesterday and 11 slow miles this morning for me.

• Options

12 miles total last week. Was always going to be a struggle to get the miles in as I went to Wimbledon on Tuesday and then Henley Regatta on Saturday which was the start of a long family weekend, so only 4 days on which to run and as soon as it was obvious that 40 miles was not going to happen, the CNBA fairy came and visited and 4 days became 2 outings. 144 miles for June which is low but 1.185 for the year which is in line with other good years.

Will have to see how July and August work out: August especially as it looks like 1 week holiday in France, 1 week work in France, 1 week work in New England, 1 week holiday in Cornwall.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - you might get some decent weather in August then!
    Another MLR this morning. 12 easy miles - HR 139.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Run/swim/run on Monday and felt good

Rest day yesterday with some stretching

Now feel bad - Bl**dy shin!

Bike tonight

Your August schedule looks great PMJ - I am (as the youth of today might say) well jell
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I looked backed at my training earlier

Longest runs (4x11 and 1x14) total miles for 2016 so far: 497, peak week 29miles

I think my run leg is going to be a painful, ugly affair
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Hey SJ, are you following LeTour? I'm loving it!

I find myself in an unusual (for me) 5 day consecutive training block. 6 miles on Monday (see above), 5 at mixed pace (7.10 avg) on Tuesday, a warm 10 miler last night at 7.19 pace and tonight is 15x400 with 30 sec recs at the track. Tomorrow night will be a slow 15 miler to keep the weekend free for family and social commitments.

Looking forward to 2 consecutive rest days, that's for sure!

GD

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ - what is your other leg? Running with both might be easierimage
    GD - nice training block. I had 2 rest days last weekend - it's de rigueur, you know.
    10 slow miles this morning - HR 128.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Similar struggles with miles, just drank beer in Berlin 

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hi GD - yes, am loving Le Tour. Started watching it a couple of years ago and enjoy it more each time. Looking forward to the tomorrow and Saturday since they are going over some of the climbs I did the other week (Aspin on Friday and then Tourmalet and Peyresourdes on Saturday) so will be comparing timesimage

Gul, ha! Unfortunately, that's not too far from the truth - seems I am massively favouring my right leg to the extent that even on the bike I twist my spine across to the right side to reduce the pressure on my hip. Got a view comments in group rides recently about my hideous form.

Although if they can see it they are behind me so it must be working!
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ - many a true word...
    16 miles this morning. 8 slow miles out @ 9:04 m/m HR 132 and 8 easy miles back @ 8:24 m/m and a disappointing HR 158.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Nice running Gul - ignore the HR readings - doesn't seem to be accurate or that you are using it as a training tool - just background noise. I use it on the treadmill since for me it is rock steady and predictable within a run (controlled environment) and trends from month to month as I get fitter. It's helpful to make sure I don't overdo it.

Lovely swim at 6:30 in Windermere this morning in the rain. Magic.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Track session last night. 15x400 with 30 sec recs. Needed a bit longer between a few reps but averaged 1.24 per 400 which I'll take given the cumulative fatigue in my legs right now.

15 slow ones tonight and then 2 days of BBQ, beer, sunny patio with friends before adjourning to the sofa for Wimbledon tennis, F1 British GP and Euro2016 final. Lovely! image

Have a great weekend of warm running, Gang.

GD

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I did a similar track session G-D only 300, 500, 700 *3. Exactly the same pace. With warm up and long warm down it came to 12 miles. Today I need a rest but it made up for a very poor week.

Yep we are spoiled for sport on Sunday
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul - plenty of miles being racked up anyway 

Slokey- hope you enjoyed the swim.

G-dawg - big and speedy session on the track 

0053-nice 12 with added track work 

track for me this morn after 12 hr nightshift image :

4x400+2x800+4x400 with paces around 6m/mile but it was a struggle and only 2 (well behaved ) dogs on the track image tight hammy at the end warning enough was enough image

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Track after a 12hr shift? That's got to be Seth some bonus seconds per mile Leslie.

Just back from a super ride out in the sticks, rolling lanes and a couple of 20%ers followed by 45min on the tready. It seems to have developed a mind of its own and speeds up by about 2kph (if my rpe, cadence, HR and sound perception are more accurate than the depressingly static speed indicator). Even walking pace seems to be out with random intervals of normality. So much for my earlier claim of "a controlled environment". Rain forecast for tomorrow image Excuse for a turbo session in front of the Tour on the telly! image
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Top bombing Leslie. Good job finding the energy to do that after the 12 hour shift.

SJ in beast mode, RRRAAARRRRGGHHH!!image

15 miler sorted after work at 7.51 pace. Shattered now. Can't wait to crack the first beer of the weekend open.
    The 7 days from last Saturday total 59 miles and with bags of quality in there. At the moment my body can feel every one. image

GD

• Options

Awesome stuff all round from:

Leslie - after a 12 hour shift I would have just decided to sit down

SJ - going from the sublime to the unpleasant

G-Dawg - 15 miles in evening the day after a decent track sesh

GD - don't be too hard on yourself. Relax and enjoy it.

That said, I was struggling to enjoy myself in the pouring rain this morning on a 6 miles easy run near Beverley. Very flat, very wet. 

WIll be another easy run tomorrow as, due to the shortage of some of the decent young middle distance runners at the club, it looks like I've been roped in to do a track 1500m tomorrow afternoon. As I'm the Team Manager I've only got myself to blame.

Will also be bike shopping this weekend as the latest estimate for the repairs is coming out at £425. image Any recommendations for a (preferably carbon frame) bike in the £1,000-£1,250 range?