Comments

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    A list!!  :D  B)

5 March:      Warwick Half Marathon - SBD - Sub 1:25
    12 March:    Surrey Half Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 1:27
    9 April:        Brighton Marathon - SBD - 2:59
    17 April:      Boston Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (PB unlikely as it gets lumpy there)
    23 April:      London Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (will most likely defer, will be knackered!)

• Options
    GD - You should try Boston, Lincolnshire instead!
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Gul - I did the Boston (Rowing) Marathon last year - pancake flat and technically 49.2 km, but what's an extra 7km!
  • Options
    I like lists :)

5 March:      Milton Keynes Half Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 1:27
    2 April:        Manchester Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 3:10 (being realistic on a 4 day training plan)
    17 April:      Boston Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (PB unlikely as it gets lumpy there)
    23 April:      London Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (will most likely defer, will be knackered!)

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    You are getting nicely fit on your shorter runs, Gerard.  Your 11K was another decent paced run.

Well done on your early intervals, Gul.  It is a miracle you get speedwork done at that time of day, let alone that they should be even paced reps.

Those are some pretty decent 800s, GD.  I wouldn't worry too much about how you are feeling this deep in training.  It isn't meant to be zippy every week, only at the end when it matters.  If you are faster and carrying less of a load, it all points to you heading in the right direction.

Sorry for being on such a downer yesterday. I was reeling from the news.  But, as GD said, positives can usually be drawn from such times.  The thing I cling onto is that I can run but have to pull it back.  I need to do a lot of physio but I always knew that.  I also always knew I had something not right with my ankle so it came as no surprise to hear that surgery might be on the cards one day.  I wasn't prepared to hear it was quite so bad and that I have been running without an attached ligament.  But it makes sense now why I can't run trails with confidence (Tadworth was a poor effort) and keep rolling the ankle.  But the message was to go for the physio option for now and see how that helps. I just have to scale things back a bit.  If that means shelving marathon plans until I am F45-49 then so be it.  I do feel as if I have unfinished business with 26.2 and have a fast one in me.  But maybe I need to cross-train and focus on short stuff (and maybe triathlons and duathlons to mix it up). Perhaps that will result in a fast marathon when I am able to race one again.  I need to have a cortisone injection to address the damaged cartilage and then let the partially torn ligament heal (which takes 3-6 months) and rehab the missing one (apparently it is possible to develop proprioception despite being detached).  One day at a time.  Thanks for your support :smile:
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - I am hoping the Surrey Hills ultra is still possible with lots of fast marching and the odd bit of running.  If I stay fit enough and we are focused on finishing rather than racing it, it should be possible.  You may be frustrated by me holding you back though.
  • Options
    Dropping in to say hello. Running London this year, possibly Brighton too. Main aim these days to keep my GFA topped up (<3.20), ran 3.08 last year after a nutrition experiment spectacularly succeeded. My training approach certainly inefficient, one long run per week (marathon length for the last 6, roughly 4.10-4.20) one/two days XT and the rest 10k runs. May back off the long runs for a couple of weekend and throw in a half race. Am sure a more varied programme would be better but I sort of enjoy it and am happy if I stay GFA - PB days long gone...
    Anyway hope everyone's training carries on well, commiserations to the injured, good luck to all....
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Good to see some targets being posted 
    LvSD welcome with a 3:08 last year you are not far of 3 hrs 
    10m this morn after nightshift 7:33 average 
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for you, MsE...
    Busy end to the week but squeezed in 15 last night and 13 this morning. Ooof.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    MsE - oh no! That's not great at all. I presume that a summer ultra isn't part of the recovery plan?

Gul - 19 x 400 is pretty impressive. I normally lose track after about 10.

Good reps from you too G-Dawg

Good shout SBD - here goes:

5 March 2017     Warwick Half Marathon - SBD - Sub 1:25
    19 March 2017   Fleet Half Marathon - Lorenzo - Sub 1:26
      9 April 2017     Brighton Marathon        - SBD - 2:59
    23 April 2017     VLM - Lorenzo - 2:59:59 (hugely optimistic target!)
    10 June 2017      Great Strides 65 Ultra - Lorenzo - sub 6:15?

10 miles progression for me this morning - 8 easy followed by 2 miles at 6:5x pace.

Anyone else going to Birmingham to watch the Indoor Athletics Grand Prix tomorrow?
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Keep adding to the list ...

5 March:      Milton Keynes Half Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 1:27
    19 March:    Fleet Half Marathon - Lorenzo - Sub 1:26
    2 April:        Manchester Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 3:10 (being realistic on a 4 day training plan)
    23 April:      London Marathon - Lorenzo - 2:59:59 (hugely optimistic target!)
    10 June:       Great Strides 65 Ultra - Lorenzo - sub 6:15?

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    5 March:      Milton Keynes Half Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 1:27
    12 March:    Surrey Half Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 1:27
    19 March:    Fleet Half Marathon - Lorenzo - Sub 1:26
    2 April:        Manchester Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 3:10 (being realistic on a 4 day training plan)
    2 April         Jersey Spring 10k - GM - 38:xx
    17 April:      Boston Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (PB unlikely as it gets lumpy there)
    23 April:      London Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (will most likely defer, will be knackered!)
    23 April:      London Marathon - Lorenzo - 2:59:59 (hugely optimistic target!)
    10 June:       Great Strides 65 Ultra - Lorenzo - sub 6:15?
  • Options
    MsE -Sounding more positive already, that's great. Like you I have to watch my ankles when doing off road/trail stuff. Saying that, I can turn my ankles on near flat stuff as well. I have to concentrate and keep my eyes down unless it is totally flat.

G-Dawg  - Good reps. I do 2 min recoveries off mine. Boston will be amazing. I'd love to run that course one day. 

LvSD - Welcome and a great time last year. I'm intrigued to know what the nutrition experiment was?

Lorenzo - Nice speedy miles in your 10 mile run. Enjoy the athletics. I think Laura Muir is going for the 1k record? She is in fine form, love watching her race, she's very gutsy.

Leslie - Nice pace on your 10 after a night shift.

Jools - Nice back to back 13. 

SBD - Are you down for 22 this w/end as your long run?

Rest day here, foggy again and was itching to go out tonight but I think my legs will thank me for having a day off. 

• Options
    Nice list! Nothing to add to it yet.
    SBD - you weren't tempted to do an extra 0.8km, then?
    MsE - well done on keeping positive. I'm not sure what the supposed issue with speedwork in the morning is!
    LvSD - welcome to the thread and all the best for London.
    Leslie - impressive 10 after a night shift!
    Jools - well done on the back to back MLRs!
    Lorenzo - I just keep going till I get near to the end of my alloted time and then head home. Wasn't too sure how many reps I'd done till afterwards! One problem with my Aldi GPS watch is that you can only set up interval sessions by time rather than distance, so instead I set the lap distance, e.g. yesterday set to 0.2km. The problem then is that I can't always hear the beep at the end of the lap so have to check the watch far too frequently! Good progressive run from you.
    GM - probably a good move to take a rest day.
    Up too late for a long run, so just a 5 mile recovery run this morning. Legs were relieved, I think. 
  • Options
    GM - yes, Laura Muir will be there. Really hope she gets the record as she's a great runner. We went a couple of years ago and saw Mo break the 2K indoor world record so hopefully we'll be a lucky charm again!

MsE - fingers crossed you'll be there for the Ultra. I'm looking forward to the company!

LvSD - welcome on here. We finished pretty close to one another at London last year, so I hope we'll both be dipping under the 3 hour mark this time around.

Rest day for me today, although rather annoyingly I woke up an hour before the alarm went off so couldn't get the full benefit. At least it meant I was able to get a few extra things done.
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Lorenzo - Enjoy the athletics, I'm sure it will be a great event.

Parkrun this morning in sunny but frosty conditions. The legs felt good and I set off at a decent pace and through the 1st mile in 6:04. Felt ok, so tried to keep that pace. Got to about 3k and I couldn't breathe properly as this chesty cough thing is still lingering. Faded a bit on the off road section but that's to be expected and finished in 19:24. The winner did 15:16!!!! U23 local runner who was one of the best middle distance runners in the UK as junior but has struggled with form in recent years but he's back to his phenomenal best. Great to see such a good runner making it look so easy. 
  • Options
    MSe, been away for a few days and just seen the news, definitely not good, but then again, at least you have a diagnosis and you can formulate a plan. I agree the faff of swim and cycle is much more than running but at leats it is exercise.

5 March:      Milton Keynes Half Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 1:27
    12 March:    Surrey Half Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 1:27
    19 March:    Fleet Half Marathon - Lorenzo - Sub 1:26
    19 March:    Reading Half Marathon - PMJ - Sub 1:30 for a start
    2 April:        Manchester Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 3:10 (being realistic on a 4 day training plan)
    2 April         Jersey Spring 10k - GM - 38:xx
    17 April:      Boston Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (PB unlikely as it gets lumpy there)
    23 April:      London Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (will most likely defer, will be knackered!)
    23 April:      London Marathon - Lorenzo - 2:59:59 (hugely optimistic target!)
    10 June:       Great Strides 65 Ultra - Lorenzo - sub 6:15?
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

GM - Nice Park Run. Recovery week for me (I swapped the P&D weeks to accommodate Wokingham) so only 15 miles tomorrow (I feel short changed!) but have done 22, 22, 20 and 20 in the last 4-week block.  Are you keeping your friend company on tomorrow's 22 mile run?

Gul - There's no room for the extra 0.8km at either end!  Poor form getting up late!

Welcome LvSD - interesting training - what are your PBs from the best? 

8 miles steady with strides today.  I haven't managed to do any of the recent scheduled strides sessions so it was good to nail these today.

Can anyone influence the wind at Rhyl next Saturday? If it was going to be calm, I would make the trip!  Otherwise, it might have to be the local PR and PMJ might beat me!

• Options
    Lorenzo - hope you got some rest on your rest day.
    GM - good parkrun while still recovering from your chesty cough.
    SBD - that's a long way to go to avoid a smackdown ;)
    Managed to get up early this morning and did 18 miles @ 8:19 m/m. Hip is a bit niggly now so need to be careful. A bit later finishing than normal, so saw the daylight too for a change!
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the thread, LvSD.  You sound like you have found a nice recipe for keeping just fit and fast enough for what you want.

Well done on your decent paced 10 after a nightshift, Leslie.  

Excellent work on consecutive MLRs despite being busy with work, Jools.  And I appreciate the crossed fingers. xx

Lorenzo - Not sure how the ultra fits in with my current state but will try keep an open mind.  Keep those fingers crossed!  How was Birmingham?  I see Laura Muir did it again. She is on fire currently.  Bet it was nice to see Mo in action too. Well done on your fast finish run.  Do I spy a bit of speed coming to those legs?

My comment on early morning speed relates to the fact our bodies are less limber when we run straight out of bed, Gul.  I suppose your early runs are so usual for  you, that your body is totally adapted to it though.  Excellent work on the LR but take care of that hip.  Would some pigeon poses or even just figure of 4 stretches be helpful?

Well done on getting the strides in, SBD.  I do think that they are incredibly effective in getting fast feet and rhythm into the mix.  I didn't do any speedwork when I ran sub-3 in 2015 but did include strides and find that if I throw a few into a run, they do the trick to get the feet moving faster generally.

Without running in my life I seem to spend a lot of time doing yoga and hopping on the turbo trainer.  I have found some short and sweet sessions on youtube that seem to break a sweat without boring me to tears.  Last night I looked into following the Pfitz pool running schedule to bring some focus to the next couple of months.  I also checked out some 10K schedules on my McMillan resource and am hoping that with shorter sessions I may be able to start one of those soon (foot permitting).  Who knows? I could end up finding some short speed!

Happy Sundays all.  Stay injury-free, you  hear? ::stern look::
  • Options
    MsE - Birmingham was great (apart from the queue to get out of the car park!) Really chuffed for Laura Muir - she just encapsulates grit and determination; hope it results in medals for her at both the European Indoors and at the Worlds this year. Mo's race was fab to watch - he certainly didn't have it all his own way, but the way he can switch up a gear when he senses someone trying to go past him is impressive.

Take it easy with the injury - sounds as though pool running might be a good idea.

GM - 19:24 with a lingering cough is decent going. Do you think you went off a bit too fast or was that the plan?

Good long run there Gul. Lke you, I'm glad it's getting lighter earlier again - for the first time in ages I didn't need my head torch on my long run this morning.

The plan said 17 easy this morning, but it ended up being just over 19 and with a couple of 16-18% hills en route it didn't feel that easy either! Doing the run unfuelled apart from a handful of raisins before I left the house also made it tough. Total ascent / descent of about 700m but managed to summon up the energy to do the last 2.3 miles at an average pace of about 7:05.

55 miles for the week, all pretty much in line with the plan so I'll tick that box.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice going, Lorenzo. Glad the athletics was good.

Interesting 20 mile LSR for me yesterday. Tried a new route down to Guildford and back. Had about 800ft of uphill which is more than Boston has over the full distance, so undulations on long sessions are good practice.

Felt ill due to the cold I've had for a while and had to take it steady due to the glute/hammy issues. Hammy was better than some recent runs but glute still moaning. Stopped momentarily at 15 miles as I was about to puke, the sensation soon passed and I pressed on. 

At times it felt like I was running in treacle but the average pace came out as 7.48. Happy with that as I really felt rubbish. Added to that, I've had a sore ankle for weeks now since rolling it on icy trails. Just ticking training boxes right now.

Just back from the gym after a core session. Ran 4 miles there and 4 back to take me to 51 for the week.
  • Options
    Gul - Nice LR, hope that hip is ok though? 

Lorenzo - Muir was fab, she is the one to beat right now and hopefully she can maintain her remarkable improvement and win some big races. I reckon she can get some WR's soon. I thought she was going to do it but still a fabulous time for 1k. Mo did well to get the win after his disastrous XC outing recently. I could be wrong but I think when he retires from track and focuses on the road he could have the wind taken out of his sails when he discovers he's the 2nd best British road runner. Callum Hawkins is developing into a super runner and is still improving and I think he could get Jonesy's British marathon record at the rate he is going. He recently won a half in Japan and ran 60:00 for a half, the Japanese are experts at that distance and for him to win was a big deal.

Re your question re pacing for yesterday's parkrun. I think I got it pretty spot on, the course is hard and measures 3.16 on the Garmin so a bit long and my average pace was 6:09mm for the distance so close to sub 19 for 5k on that course is near my best so far. Those extra 20 seconds or so are hard as it's quite a steep uphill for the last 500m or so and you need to save a bit as you can smell the finish even though it's very tough going on legs. The off road section which is about 2k or thereabouts has two 180 degree turns as well and that slows you down. It has become very uneven with some huge pot holes and deep puddles from the rain we've had which makes it even trickier to maintain an even pace. I nearly went over on my ankle twice yesterday but thankfully didn't. Nice LR by yourself too and yay to the lighter mornings and evenings now. 

G-Dawg - That's a solid pace for your LR when not feeling 100%. 

MsE - You always seem to keep yourself busy with healthy activities for the mind and the body. That will do you good. What's your 10k PB? I if I bet it's quick. Would be good to do some fast stuff if you are able to. I agree with the faff of the tri stuff as well, not to mention the hideous looking outfits. Mind you I think women can pull that look off better than men, some of course, not all.  :)

SBD - A bit like you my friend switched his plan last week as he was away, but he did his 22 today. That was after 13 yesterday with 7 at LT which came out at 6:25mm so a sub 40 10k in there. He's in the form of his life at the mo and I hope he can stay fit and have a good stab at sub 3 in April. I joined him for 11 today this afternoon and it was after he had done 11. It was a lovely run albeit windy in parts again but quite mild. I don't like the sound of the forecast for that race. Hopefully it's not as bad as they are forecasting. What distance is it?

As mentioned above I did 11 miles this afternoon, was meant to be this morning but 
    had a lie in and so did my training buddy so we decided to try meet up. That was my longest run since the November half and surprised myself in that I actually enjoyed it. 11 miles at 7:45mm, all felt comfortable as we chatted nicely for most of it. 44 miles for the week for me and that's more than double what I have doing most weeks for the past 3 months or so. Will be running less next week due to childcare etc. 
  • Options
    Gul nice early 18 
    MSE
    enjoy the pool running 
    Lorenzo nice hilly unfuelled 17, all my long runs are now without any breakfast though I do take a sports drink over 13 miles but tend to need very little in this colder weather .
    Gdawg another 20m pukefest , hope you get well again soon !
    Gerard 7 at 6:25 yesterday then a 22 today your friend is a machine !
    Up after nightshift and my Garmin appears to have had an accident and was stuck at 1:45pm and no buttons worked ..nobody knows anything but it was fine before I went to work last night as I used it ! :'(
    Approx 16.5 miles in 2 hrs 10 mins so somewhere around 8m/mile average but picked it up a good bit the last 4 miles .
    72 mile for the week .

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Hope you can fix the Garmin Leslie - good LSR and weekly mileage.

Good mileage for the day and week GM - your friend is indeed in good form and there should be plenty more improvement to come.

Well done on finishing the 20 mile GD - it can only get better

That sounds like a tough Long Run Lorenzo

What equipment do you need for the pool running MsE?

Nice Long Run Gul but go easy with the hip.

Yesterday's strides seem to do wonders for the leg speed.  Only 15 miles for today's "Long" Run but I thought I'd do the last 7.5 miles at close to Marathon Effort.  So 7:12 m/m overall with the last 7.5miles @ 6:51 m/m.   64 miles for the week and only 7 weeks to the big day

• Options
    Thanks for the welcomes all, glad to join in:

SBD my PB is 2.55 from back in 2001

LeslieH and Lorenzo I think <3  beyond me these days, I'm in my mid 50s.  I was really pleased with my time year - not my fastest but age adjusted my best.  In part caused by…

GerardM the nutrition experiment was carb depletion.  I train before breakfast, eating the night before then running long on a couple of cups of tea. Last year I also aggressively carb depleted in the first half of race week, then carb loaded.  The effect was very pronounced. I pace myself based on effort in races having over the years got a reasonable feel, and these days don’t check my watch.  Last year I was very surprised to find myself catching up with a <3 pacing group after the green and blue stars merged.  Genuinely curious as to what was happening, I tagged along and was comfortable till about 15 miles when my pace dropped off.  It must be to do with the carb depletion/loading and fwiw would work well for a half, well within the window of the effect. 
  • Options
    Sorry all, for some reason the symbol for sub3 displays as a heart.  Although for marathon runners I guess that's quite appropriate...
  • Options
    LvSD - That was an interesting experiment and your time was excellent for you age category. I can't see your name on the race list. Are you able to add yours? I can't recall which mara you are doing. Is it London??

SBD - That's a nice 15 miler there. How did the 7.5 @ 6:51 feel? I am actually amazed how good I feel after this week. It's been a good while since I've run 4x miles in a week. Even in marathon training I would usually average only about 45-50.

Leslie - Yeah my friend is in great shape. He is super disciplined in his approach to training and ran 3:22 for his 1st one 7 years ago off very little running and then ran 3:06 for his 2nd one on the Jersey course which I'd say equates to about a 3:01/2 but has struggled with form and injuries for the past 5 years, but I'd say he's even better now than when he ran that 3:06 in 2011.  Another great weekly total for you. You have been racking up the miles for what seems like quite a while now. Out of curiosity, how many miles have you done in the last 6 months?

OO -  Was your relay this w/end? 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Hello folks sorry I've been awol- but a busy weekend. Yes we won the North East relay champs Gerard, I ran well with two 5:40 miles. One guy was injured and nearly lost us the race but our superstar pulled it back running 2 *5 min miles to take the win!

You seem resigned to the news MsE. At least surgery is not need for now and you can keep up some running. A slow road back but I'm sure you'll get there.

Welcome LvSD to the thread. Sounds like we're about the same age and I like you marathon philosophy. I often get hungry and carbo load with cereal before bed then run without breakfast.

Good week here, at 68 miles my best for a long while. Though I paid for it on my LSR yesterday. 20 in the bag but a pedestrian 8:48 pace. Really struggled with sore legs after the relays.

Junior made the 3k final at BUCS. She came last but got a PB (by 0.2 secs!). It was only her 2nd race indoors and  her time of 10:10 is faster than I've ever manager, so good experience for her to final in a national event.   

• Options
    MsE - sounds like you are really focussed. Well done. I could probably have a fairly accurate guess at what pigeon poses and figure of 4 stretches are, but never heard those names! Good idea, anyway, thanks.
    Lorenzo - very strong finish after those hills which sound scary to me.
    GD - good long run.
    GM - sounds like you enjoyed your 11 miler. The pain in my hip seems to be in a slightly different place to the other week. Need to follow MsE's advice!
    Leslie - good long run to finish off the week.
    SBD - looking promising. Not long to go now!
    LvSD - interesting to hear about your carb-depleted training etc.. I usually always run on empty (other than the night before as you say!) and wonder if I need to try and do a few long runs after breakfast. I have never managed to avoid a bad positive split in marathons and wonder if my body isn't used to all the carb-loading and fuelling before/during a marathon.
    OO - congrats to you on the relay victory - very impressive time from you and the second mile pace same as the first too! Congrats to OO jnr too - good experience, as you say.
    5 mile recovery run/plod this morning. Hip isn't 100% and considering taking some more rest.