Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    OO - I hope the calf thing is nothing. 

Gul - I wouldn't worry too much but it might be an idea to go and get that checked out.

G-Dawg - Sensible decision. 

5.2k hilly lunch run yesterday @ 7:31 pace and the same route again today but I felt like getting a move on and it was @ 6:46 average. I finally seem to be getting over this chesty cough and was able to push it up a steep hill which is approx 800m from the bottom to the top and usually leaves me in a heap, never mind with a chesty bug. That felt like a decent run.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Hello all,

GM - nice weekly miles and quick reps in there. You're right, running in the sunshine makes so much difference! One of the drawbacks to spring maras is having to train through the worst of the winter.

GD - hope the ankle is feeling the benefit of rest ahead of the weekend, even if the mental side is a struggle! My running times in the dark are almost always ~30 secs a mile slower than daylight equivalent, probably mostly due to lack of streetlights & therefore needing to be careful with foot placement.

Gul - good to see you back at it, but steady with that hip. Fizz is very keen on clams for hip strength.

Leslie - your running is going from strength to strength at the moment. Very impressive.

OO - I hear you with the wine! Hope that calf is OK.

Minni - good to see you back at it in a meaningful way and making race plans.

PMJ - Agree on running the dark. A lot like being in a tunnel with just head torch illumination. Not very inspiring.

MsE - expect we'd all benefit from more yoga & pilates! It's just finding the time...

BI - good to see you popping in. Are you now officially on the comeback trail?

Birch - nice 15 there.

Jools - consistent consistency, as we've come to expect!

P&D week 14 for me which so far has consisted of an 11 mile MLR in the dark on Tuesday evening, 4 easy with 6x100m strides yesterday lunch and an 8 with 5x800m at 5k pace just done. Rest day tomorrow so I can enjoy birthday celebrations without worrying about fitting in a run, then the weekend consists of 9 inc a 10k timetrial on Saturday and a 17 LSR on subsequently tired legs on Sunday, bringing up 49 for the week. Then 1 more "big" week of 50 (everything's relative!) and then it's taper time.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Abbers- Personally I've found this winter tough and I've not been doing mara training. A close friend of mine is doing P&D 70 and he's been doing all the early morning MLR's and early Sunday morning LR's in some filthy weather and I must admit I didn't envy him at all. I usually don't mind training in adverse weather but I think it's because I've not escaped this winter for some winter sun for the 1st time in about 6 years and it's been particularly wet and windy this year, more so than normal for here, but I shouldn't really complain as it's a lot worse elsewhere. How do you treat your 9 with 10k time-trial? Is it run at 10k race pace? Enjoy the b-day celebrations, is it a big one? 

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    PMJ - fortunately I can run with the aid of streetlights before nautical sunrise!
    GD - I find my path is mostly unimpeded before dawn be it astronomical or otherwise, so I can't say I've noticed any difference in pace ;)
    Bike It - nice progress. Yes, I am sure I have lots of muscles that need strengthening (not least the glutes!)
    GM - I can only feel the tiniest of bumps, so I'm not too worried. It might not even be a hernia! Pleased to hear you're over the cough. Decent pace, especially as it includes that hill.
    Abbers - some good sessions there. Is it your birthday you're celebrating today? Best wishes and thanks for the tip to do some clams!
    Overslept today, so just 3 easy miles. Mrs GD got her MRI result yesterday and it's not good. Diagnosis is severe osteoarthritis and she's being referred for a consultation about the possibility of a hip replacement. It's a bit odd seeing as she had an x-ray 2 years ago and was told it didn't show up any issues. She's requested a copy of the x-ray.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gerard - pleased your strong run indicates you're over the bug

Abbers - Happy Birthday . . . .

Gul - really sorry to hear that news re Mrs Gul - best wishes to her  . .

despite rest day on Wed after Tue's 15, legs still tired yesterday, but managed 6 x half-mile in the park, with mile there and back.  Plan 7 today, then down at Loughborough tomorrow - my daughter is in the Inter-Counties XC (iirc, Lorenzo may have a family interest there also) ? 
  • Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM - it hasn't been too bad as I've juggled sessions to generally do them on better weather days, making sure I still get all the prescribed runs in each week. Repeatedly getting drenched & blown sideways would quickly lose any novelty value! Theoretically, the 10k is a race with warm up & cool down to bring up the extra miles, but nothing suitable locally so going to run a solo time trial to compare with the time in a similar session from 2 weeks' back. Will try to get 10k race effort, if not pace.

Gul - sorry to hear about Mrs Gul. Strange situation with the contrasting scan results. Hope all works out for the best.

Birch - half mile sessions are tough, so good to get it banked. Good luck to Ms Birch!

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Not a landmark year, had one of those not long ago, so no change of age category this time!

• Options
    Been a bit busy so haven't managed to get on here recently.

Gutted to hear the news MsE - hope that you get the all clear for shorter stuff and / or triathlons. Could you restrict the running to off-road stuff?

Minni - not following P&D this time as I've gone back to Hudson and Fitzgerald's "Run Faster". In essence it's very similar to P&D but it's worked really well for me in the past.

Running in the dark? It's fantastic! You see the world in a completely different way, especially when you're running through the woods - animals jumping out across the path, spooky noises etc. And the views are spectacular when you're looking down on a town from a hill overlooking it. Love it. Agree with G-Dawg about running times in the dark being slower, but I put that down to being a bit more cautious.

G-Dawg - sensible stuff. Any particular race strategy for Sunday?

Gul - doesn't sound great for Mrs Gul. Hope things are OK. Fingers crossed for your hip as well.

Happy birthday Abbers - enjoy the day.

Birch - yes, younger Lorenzito will be at Loughborough, running up a year in the U17s. Fortunately there's a coach laid on for them, although it's a bit of an early start. He's not running until about 2pm so I suspect that you'll have been and gone by then. Good luck to Ms Birch.

I hope I'm not counting any chickens too early, but my knee seems to be getting a bit better. It's not stopped me from running - I've been out every day so far this week and hope to get out for a long run on a new off-road route with a couple of mates on Sunday. We've just moved office from one part of London to another so it was a new commuting route today dodging plenty of people heading to work in the city. Slight embarassment when I got out of the shower at work, only to realise I'd left my trousers by my desk!!!
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Abbers belated Happy Birthday ! I hope I can keep my running streak going.

Gul You wife will have a new lease of life pain free after a hip op

Birch enjoy the Inter-Counties

Lorenzo good news on the knee ,I'm sure your co workers will under stand about the trousers as you strut in !

9/4 mile double steady yesterday wanted a single run but didn't have the time and 8 this morn early doors.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - well done on the intervals with tired legs. Hope your daughter has a good XC race today.
    Abbers - good luck with the solo 10k.
    Lorenzo - good news on the knee. Not so good about the trousers. I presume it was the same people from the old office!
    Leslie - nice double and early 8.
    Decided to do a Hadd style test run this morning to gauge my  current fitness. So 5 x 1.5 miles in increasing HR zones. Avg paces and bpms were 9:35/133, 9:19/134, 8:50/142, 7:57/155, 7:11/168. The first one should have been <=130, but took a while getting into it! As I suspected, fitness not great. Somewhere on a par with when I did the same test before aerobic base training last year, so should definitely benefit from low HR training for a couple of months. No races booked, so that's fine. Should be ready to focus on a bit of speed in the late spring/summer and then maybe do an autumn marathon.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Interesting test Gul - will be interesting to see how the low HR training works out.

All good miles Leslie.

Good news on the knee Lorenzo - should give you the confidence to go for it at the HM.

Belated birthday wishes Abbers - good luck with the 10K tune-up solo effort!

Hope you're enjoying Loughborough Birch.

Niggly calf here since last Sunday's HM - I've managed to do the scheduled runs but had to stay clear of anything fast - so no interval session or strides during the week.

Today was the Raceway 10K.  I had been looking forward to this as it's my PB course (37:54 in 2011) but not too sure the calf was up to it.  Did a 5K warm-up including a few strides and the calf didn't feel too bad so thought we'd give it a go.  Managed a reasonably even paced run with a chip time of 39:27.  More importantly, the calf was not any worse after the race and a 5K w/d! 

Brighton taper time is approaching quicker than I would like.  Pretty happy with the endurance, just need this calf to sort itself out so I can work on the speed over the next few weeks. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good 10k SBD- enjoy the taper. And glad to hear the knee is holiding up Lorenzo.
    I had a scorcher at the Southwark parkrun this morning. A great field assembled of young whippets and perfect conditions, resulted in a new PB of 17:42 (17:40 on my watch). WAVA at 86% which I think is my highest ever. I have say this was a total surprise after my calf issues this week. 6:45avg. mile and each mile a few secs quicker. There were lots of PB's from the 12 runners ahead, but even so I'm at a loss to explain this one.
    15 required tomorrow to scrape a 50+ week.    
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Nice double, Leslie

good effort, SBD, & pleasing non-reaction re calf  . . .

Gul - sounds like a sensible plan . . .

OO - wow ! great stuff - 86% WAVA deserves a :):D   

enjoyed spectating at Inter Counties XC today - although a tough day for my daughter - her half mara PB from 6 days ago still in her legs, I think, as she was well beaten by her team-mate whom she edged in the County race. Still, was always the plan to not ease back for this, so hopefully will prove a solid training weekend with 21 tomorrow - last long one before Manc mara

hope junior Lorenzo went well  . . . .
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
      OO54 said:
    Good 10k SBD- enjoy the taper. And glad to hear the knee is holiding up Lorenzo.
    I had a scorcher at the Southwark parkrun this morning. A great field assembled of young whippets and perfect conditions, resulted in a new PB of 17:42 (17:40 on my watch). WAVA at 86% which I think is my highest ever. I have say this was a total surprise after my calf issues this week. 6:45avg. mile and each mile a few secs quicker. There were lots of PB's from the 12 runners ahead, but even so I'm at a loss to explain this one.
    15 required tomorrow to scrape a 50+ week.    
    Outstanding! Go get that sub-2:58 for the team! 
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Popping in to wish racers good luck. Don't go out too fast tomorrow, GD. Take the first 8 nice and steady then go for it. You are due a fast time! 
  • Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭
    Pleased with my last long run before Brighton (racing a half next week with couple of miles added), just short of 23m, av pace of 7.35 with 11-16m all under 7:15 and 17-20m being a 20:28 parkrun. Finished with a 7:14 mile 22. V happy as previous years have seen me struggle with marathon pace on long runs, things seem better at this stage.
     Does anyone have any particular sessions they like to complete during the last few weeks of training?
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    OO - That is some run and what a WAVA! You must have really enjoyed that.

SBD - Nice 10k and comfortably under 40 is always a good sign. I would err on the side of caution though trying to get speedier stuff in during taper time. It's a crucial time during the campaign after a sustained block of training with lots of strain on the body. Remember the objective is to run strong for your mara not fast. I've made that mistake in the past and it's not something that is reversible when so close to the big day. Hope you don't mind me saying. 

Lorenzo - Sounds good from your side. I did a similar thing the other day re embarrassing gear change scenario in work. 

Gul - With no races booked that sounds like a very sensible approach. I just wanted to say something re that "lump" of yours. I hope you will get it checked out soon. My son's mother had a similar thing recently and left it for 3 months or so. It was a hernia, hers became strangulated. She was due to fly off on holiday just before Xmas but was fog bound, so she couldn't get off the Island. Just as well, as the next day she had to go see the quack and she was referred to the hospital straight away. She was operated on within 2 hours. The surgeon who did the op said, had she caught that flight she would have died! Scary stuff but she has now made a full recovery thankfully. All of this was going on when we were in Paris for xmas and luckily my boy was completely unaware. 

Leslie - Nice double. I'm a big fan of them when I'm able to do them.

ssc - You're running well at the mo and it sounds like you've had a solid campaign. Hopefully you get a good return on investment come race day. 

Zero running here this weekend as I'm tied up with soccer matches and rugby tomorrow. 

Good luck to the racers tomorrow. 

• Options
    Great stuff OO - super impressive.

ssc - that's a pretty rapid finish to a 23 miler. Bodes well for Brighton. I don't have any particular sessions that I like to do as part of the taper, although I find it's good to do a decent effort parkrun on the weekend before the marathon, i.e. 8 days out.

Birch - glad you had a good time at the XC. Not surprised Ms Birch was exhausted - just make sure that she doesn't burn herself out before Manchester. Younger Lorenzito came about 94th overall (out of about 260?) and he was running a year up so was pleased with his performance. His goal for the XC season was to make it into the County squad so mission accomplished.

Good luck tomorrow G-Dawg - look forward to the report and hearing how well you've done.

Rest day for me today so my only running related activity was buying a new pair of Mizunos!
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    SBD nice sub 40 10k
    0054 getting quicker all the time ,superfast 5k.
    SSC that's a cracking 23 miler
    Lorenzo always nice to get new shoes 

up at 5am , 120 mile drive then I could do my run !
    20 miles at 7:24 m/mile average slower the first half then 7:10 most of the second half with some decent hills thrown in.
    86 mile for the week.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    BIG week, Leslie - well done . . . .

well done to junior, Lorenzo - splendid effort to place appx top third in such a high standard race, especially as he is at the younger end of the age group. 
    Just heard from my daughter - 21 miles d&d , so 26 for the weekend inc the 5 miles XC y'day - she reported being "very tired" last 2 or 3 miles - as you so rightly say , time to take it (relatively) easy now. 
    Bit of retail therapy myself also - invested in a foam roller for my VoGit legs ! 

Just entered the Derby Half on 4th June . . . .

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    ssc said:
    Pleased with my last long run before Brighton (racing a half next week with couple of miles added), just short of 23m, av pace of 7.35 with 11-16m all under 7:15 and 17-20m being a 20:28 parkrun. Finished with a 7:14 mile 22. V happy as previous years have seen me struggle with marathon pace on long runs, things seem better at this stage.
     Does anyone have any particular sessions they like to complete during the last few weeks of training?
    Fast finish long runs are good to do a few times as race day approaches. Helps the mental side of pushing on tired legs. Not to be done too often or too early in a campaign for fear of injury but worth it to top off the training. Almost run like a progression to end up running faster than MRP for the last few miles. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    MsE keeps me in check once again! Thank You!

Here's why: Today was the Surrey Half and I was climbing the walls for a run after resting injuries for the past week with a series of ice, massage and compression on the ankle. Meanwhile the glute and hammy injury was still 'there' but I knew I could run through that pain.

Arrived at the start feeling OK and just wanting the first mile to go past so I could assess the injury status and plan my run. 6.28 later and I'm feeling OK and decide to plough on regardless. 

As the early miles ticked by, the body said, "Grant, 6.37 is your pace today" so I listened and was a good boy. I know the course, so where there was an incline, I gave it back and on the descents, I cashed in.

Felt strong throughout and just kept it sensible. No wobbles apart from a nasty little incline at 12 which did caused me more huff and puff than desirable.
    What I did do though was keep steady until 8 miles and then go for it (sound familiar MsE!!??) :D

Finishing mile was a 6.28. As I came into the final bend and in sight of the clock I thought I was on for another 1.27 (which last week I found Power of 10 rounded up to 1.28.00!!!) albeit 40 secs or so under, so that would still be a PB, great!

However, I could see the finishing clock had only just ticked over to 1.26, so I hit the burners and grabbed a 1.26.34. Get in! B)

With a number of injury woes recently, I'll gladly take that and as the hours pass, I'm even more delighted. If it's OK I'll dedicate this one to MsE who has kept me in check on here and despite her own injury woes continues to serve sage advice to those that may be pushing themselves too hard when rest is best. Thanks Missues!! B)
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Good work, G-Dawg - running with heart and head - congrats !! 
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    GD, I couldn't be more delighted for you! You were due a big PB and were delivered one. Lots to reflect on what gave you that big improvement* and take it forwards to the marathon. Well done! 

* we won't talk about you finally listening to your poor body which tells you (via the injuries) to back off the never-ending intensity. Nor the mental battle you have with accepting you are fit enough, without the daily feedback from runs. No, let's just say nothing ;-)
  • Options
    Fabulous running G-Dawg. A perfect lesson in pacing, common sense, speed, grit and determination. Chapeau sir!

Birch - not surprised that Ms Birch is tired. The thought of running 21 miles the day after a high standard XC race would fill me with horror. I've told younger Lorenzito to take it easy so he's just popped out for a gentle 20 minute run.

I had 20 miles easy on the schedule but was invited to head out on a hilly, off road run with a couple of clubmates (one of whom is shooting for 2:5x and the other for sub-2:45 at London). Fortunately the pace wasn't crazy so I'll settle for a bumpy 16.5 miles to finish the week on 46 miles. Commuting run planned for tomorrow.

Anyone know of any good running routes in Budapest? Mrs L and I are heading out there for a few nights in early April and I fancy the idea of running along the Danube. That said, I've just noticed that the Budapest 10K/half marathon is on the weekend that we're out there - how should I bring that one into the conversation?!
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - Well run, that's a nice new pb. It bodes well for your marathon. 
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Gdawg great to get a shiny new pb
    Lorenzo be brave and just come out and say it 
    Just under 8m recovery this morn ,getting forgetful like Lorenzo and forgot my towel so had to dry myself with my top ,luckily it hadn't been raining so it was reasonably dry !

• Options
    Great run G-Dawg. Now you have 1.26.34 is the next step a low 1:26 or 1:25.xx or better?
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Indeed, PMJ. I'd like to get into the 1.25 area now that I've got to 1.26, just keep chipping away. A few years ago I would never have dreamed of a HM time like that as well as a 3.09 marathon. Said to a mate yesterday that I've hit all the targets I ever wanted at HM and Full, so now the object is to always train for a PB and just see what happens. I feel far less pressured these days and that's nice. Having said that, I was as nervous as a kitten on the start line yesterday!  :D

Still, not as bad as said mate, he has had the sub-90 monkey on his back for about 3 years. Injuries and silly sessions the week before a race (inc. a trail marathon) have kept him in the 91 to 94 area. Yesterday he scored 1.28 which was a big relief for him but my word, was he anxious at the start!  :D
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - Raceways! What an excellent venue ;) Nicely paced 10k. Pleased to hear the calf is okay.
    OO - 17:42 and 86%!!! Awesome parkrun.
    Birch - on fresh legs that would have been a different result for you daughter - tough one in the middle of hard marathon training. Pleased to hear you have entered a HM.
    ssc - that's a very fast 23 miler - I think all your hard work is done!
    GM - hope you had a good weekend of sport. Point taken about getting the miniscule lump that hopefully is nothing checked out, thanks.
    Lorenzo - well done to Lorenzito. Hope you enjoyed your rest day. Another good hilly run too.
    Leslie - top mileage. I presume there was another reason other than your run for driving 120 miles! And better to forget your towel than your trousers.
    GD - well done! Excellent result and well deserved PB. Hopefully another one on the way shortly!
    9 slow miles to start the week for me.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Just spit it out, Lorenzo! She's a runner too and it would be a shame not to do a fun race when there's one at the same time. It's not a long one anyway.

9 miles is a good start, Gul. Any sign of the hip issue lingering?

I'm in Menorca where I've been since Friday visiting friends (sans enfants!) I tried a short 3 mile run @7:50 min/mi av on Saturday and then again today with 7 miles@7:37 min/mi av down along a blustery seafront and back up to where they live. Ankle behaved nicely but I'll not assume anything and take each run as it comes. Topped off with yoga and Pilates. Flying home tonight. 

I've made a follow up appointment with the ankle surgeon to discuss fixing the ligament and bone spur. (I found out Paula had a bone spur too!)