Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gutted, especially as trip paid for and childcare organised.

Just seen Berlin announce no optoon than yo start again in September 21. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Blimey! Is that you done or do you still have London, DT?
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Not a good day for Autumn marathons!  

I felt Berlin was more likely than London so I'm not holding out too much hope for London going ahead.

Are you able to cancel your New York flights and accommodation DT?

I only had rooms reserved for Berlin and those have just been cancelled.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm still sat on a London place. My hotel for that is cancellable. 

NY, i dont realky know as my wife has booked it all as a package holiday so likely to have to see closer to time as may have to go, then somehow pay to go next year.

Berlin, I've had hotel money back, just sat on lufthansa flights. May sit on those in hope airline cancels them so can get money back, otherwise move then to next September which seems to be current option. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rejkyavik marathon sound pretty certain it is going ahead on August 22nd,just have to have test on landing.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Personally DT I'm ok deferring Berlin to next year. If flights dont get cancelled we may go anyway for a short break.
    5 easy ones here...
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - planning, execution and recovery :)
    SBD - yes, it was still hot just before 5am this morning, no wonder you felt wrecked. Hamstring feels fine so far, thanks.
    DT - good news on the comeback.
    Not unexpected news from New York and Berlin, but gutted for those who were still holding out hope. Surely London will follow suit...
    6 easy miles this morning.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    And 7 today...
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    6 here as well, a nice progression- I felt fab, best for a while. London must surely be cancelled...
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I am not sure what to do with NY in that I can defer to 2021-22 or 23. I want to run the 50th in 21 but if I opt for 22 it gives more time to get this virus done and dusted. A lot also comes down to what will happen to my trip  in that whether it gets cancelled as I will probably not be able to transfer and rebook it later than next year.

Anyway, running I did a 1 mile tester before physio Wednesday and that was fine so back to building up. On the  basis that I spent 4 weeks building up to 40 minutes only a few weeks ago and advice taken from Mark Buckingham (physio I mentioned before) that a  fracture is different to tissue injuries in that it's fixed or it hasn't and if it has you can return faster than coming back from other injuries. So the run/walk is gone and it's just running every other day adding a few mins, so 10 mins done this morning, 13 on sunday.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - sounds good to me.
    4 mile recovery run today.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Novel idea to let you choose over 3 years DT. I guess the organisers want to ensure space for new runners 21. Hard to predict what might happen 2 or 3 years out though.
    I'm planning a speedy 5 k today and 15 tomorrow. Should end just short of 50 miles again.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    SBD re me running 18m I had a 3/4 mara in sept which yesterday has been cancelled and replaced with a half mara .Just trying to get back a bit of endurance after no mara's for 3 years.Not looking good for any mara's this year.
    GUL good work on getting the tash off !
    DT stress fractures can be tricky too , a mate has on on his lower leg and it still hurts to run 9 months later and he can't get going again.Sounds like you are making decent progress.
    0054 how fast was the 5k ?

well I went out after work on Monday and 1 mile in the heavens opening in a torrential downpour ,never been so wet in years and that rain was damn cold almost hail at times in a t shirt , rivers running down the road and water coming up out of gullies like fountains it was grim .I took the next 3 days off lol and got a 5m yesterday and after the 3/4 mara was cancelled another lazy day today . Not sure if I will even do the half that replaces it or just defer to next year and only one half left this year which may well be canned so mojo has hit the skids lol ! only 8m this week so far ..

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sounds pretty unlucky all round Leslie. The 5k was on trails, 21 mins 👍
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    A good turn of speed on the trails OO.

Not good on the races Leslie, but you can't post only 8 miles for the week!  We'll need you to get at least 16 miles in tomorrow!

Good recovery sessions Gul.

Sounds good on the rebuild DT.  How long has it been since the injury first occurred?

So, hopefully Berlin in 2021.  May wait a while before booking flights and accommodation!

Thursday was hard work with the heat but managed a 7.5 mile recovery run before hitting the barbecue.  Friday was only slightly cooler, so the 12.5 miles was still a bit of a grind.  Thankfully, conditions much nicer today, so a steady 7.5 miles recovery early evening.  Tomorrow could be a good day for a 20 miler but will see how I feel.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    SBD, 16 weeks on Tuesday since my last pre injury run. I wish i hadn't booked my flights early now. it looks like i can rebook them but that has to be done before my original flight date and flights seem to be released a year minus 2 days in advance so 1 day out for next years mara weekend! Enjoy the 20m.

Leslie, id ssy the the further fown the body the harder a stress fracture will be to fix without complete immobilisation and rest due to the force going through the body. They usually recommend airboot/crutches and complete rest for feet and lower legs. If your mate didn't take the time out in the first 10-12 weeks then it'll continue to be a problem. 

it's tough to stay motivated with no races!

13 mins run tomorrow followed by my longer turbo ride. Did a beast of a session this morning, probably the toughest I've done on a bike. Felt wiped all day in a way I've not in a while. 
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - nice 5k on the trails; enjoy the longer run today.
    Leslie - sounds like a real soaking. Hope you can find some motivation to get out there today.
    SBD - windy day forecast here; hope it doesn't deter you from your long run.
    DT - savour each one of those 13 minutes.
    8 easy miles today to complete a whole week's running and 36 in total.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sadly, coming back from a mid term injury it is very difficult to be anything but on edge every run, constantly scanning the body mentally for feedback and panicking at every slight possible ache in the injured area. 

All good today, followed it up with turbo ride with some tempo thrown in to break up the 75 minutes. Bit more building through this week now. 
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Yes - a nervy couple of weeks ahead DT.  I remember rebuilding after 10 weeks out with the calf tear in August 2018 - getting up to 30 minutes continuous running seem to take for ever.  Just take it easy.

Good work on the week's running Gul.  What's the plan now?

Windy here and some rain showers but managed to get our early evening for the long run.  Not firing on all cylinders today, so it was a bit of grind, but I'd decided 20 miles was required so 20 miles it was in just under 7:55 pace.  Gives me 81 miles for the week.  Will repeat this week and then have a cut-back.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    SBD, yes i hit 20 mins next sunday and 30 the following. I'm told once 30 is done without issue things can move faster. I had that 4 weeks of running in May where i got up to 40 mins of run time on run/walk then stoppped when i learnt there was a live fracture, however that period running makes the comeback a bit easier as does the turbo stuff. 

Nice work on the 20, still got London booked in i suppose.  
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - yes, sorry, a bit of a thoughtless comment. Hope all goes well with the slow build-up.
    SBD - good work. Decent pace for 20 miles. I'm planning on a couple more moderate weeks before getting back to the usual mileage. Then wait and see what announcement comes from VLM at the end of July and go from there.
    5 mile recovery run this morning.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    SBD I have flights for Berlin 2020 although we cancelled hotels. We are half thinking of going anyway and just taking a holiday, then going for a shorter trip next year.
    Rain stopped play in Keswick and I've deferred the long run until today. So a humble 33 for the week.
    My injury was not as severe DT but I know the slow grind of a comeback. You are doing all  the right things so hang in there.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, it's OK I didn't take your comment in any such way, and retrospectively savoured the 13 mins as soon as I stopped.

Lewis says, all being well, I should be up to something resembling normal training by the end of July which will be just in time if London decide to go ahead. If not then there's no pressure to race until I feel I am back to a point of fitness that would deliver respectable results. That may not be until January realistically.

I don't have much use for my Berlin flights, OO,  as travelling alone so I suspect they'll jut be written off.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    What a nightmare for your flights, DT. Add to that your injury woes, it's a tough old time for many aspects of your running of late. 

Some of this rain is very localised, nothing too bad here.

Had some rain on my run on Saturday but nothing like some of the cloudbursts elsewhere. Four of us got together to do a 16 miler, really enjoyed it, nice to be running with people again.
    Got a 4 mile recovery done yesterday to bring up 45 for the week.

After clocking up my biggest ever May, looks like June will be a new record as well (just 2 miles short).

I understand the injury scanning on the runs, DT. My niggles are playing up a bit and need to be carefully managed, don't want any backward steps now after so much progress in base training.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    June is going to be a tad over 200 miles for me, and just under 1300 ytd.  Now that I'm running a bit less I'd expect to land around 2500 this year.
    Easy 16 d&d this morning. Brutal winds but glad to run away from the rain in the Lakes.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good totals, OO. Mine are nowhere near that. After an 8 tomorrow, will finish June on 163.

Got out for a 6 miler at lunchtime. Decided I need to feel some speed pain, so did mile alternates of easy then 6.3x. Splits came out at 6.32, 6.32, and 6.16.

Nice to get proper out of puff for a change.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    A good turn of speed on the mile reps G-D.

Good miles in the wind OO.

I was fortunate not to have booked flights for Berlin.

Good recovery miles Gul.  Sounds like a sensible plan.

Whilst it's hard to believe London will go ahead, I feel the need to train for it over the next few weeks just in case.  At the next planned update, 28 July 2020, there'll be less than 10 weeks to race day.  I do wonder how many other runners are fully committed to their training schedules at this point in time!

Just a 7.5 mile recovery run this evening, but everything feeling relaxed and heart rate nice and low.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - still on target for a very nice tally.
    DT - might be best if London is cancelled so there's no pressure to press on too hard with the training.
    GD - good miles again and some speedy ones too.
    SBD - after all these months you may as well carry on now!
    10 steady miles this morning. 102 for June.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Got the 8 miler done first thing to bag that biggest June total.
    Legs could feel the quicker miles from yesterday.

I'm with you SBD. I'm still cracking on and well into campaign mode. July 28th has to be a yes/no decision in my view, it will be mighty unfair to keep us all training when there will still be a chance of cancellation looming.
    I still can't believe the country will be in any position to host such a big event what with all the safety concerns and many variables which we have mentioned before on here, including other major races already cancelling.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    It's good to have some support G-D, hopefully we'll get some positive news on the 28th July!  That's a good 8 miles from you to finish the month.

Good steady miles Gul.

A steady 11 miles tonight, with a slight pick up in pace to 7:15 m/m over the last 4 miles after I spotted another runner ahead and felt the need to overtake.  Gives me 327 miles for June and 1,951 for 2020.

So a decent amount of miles covered, but these have all been easy pace since lockdown and I'm actually feeling a bit sluggish and overweight at the moment!  Need to start getting some tempo sessions in, but I was hoping to get access to a track for these.