Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Had serious mojo issues this morning but forced myself out. The thought of run regret was the motivator in the end. As it turned out, it was an OK run. Got 8 miles in before my 9.00am video meeting and feel much better for it. 7.41 pace on the trails is OK especially with a very slow first mile to wake up.

Cooler days coming, so a chance to do shorter and faster.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - are you sure you didnt have some sort of fall, id be surprised if not ? Not sure re quicker easy running, as you were improving as a runner so that might happen ? But agreed easy easy days are a great idea.....you do some s and c, and do pump classes and spin, so should be quite robust......however, i do seem to remember you mentioning meal replacement drinks ? You might want to rethink those ?.......anyway, sounds like you are on the mend now, so happy days.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty much running back to normal now but I'm gonna stick with 40-50 miles a week, down from 50-60. My top end speed has gone but I'm not going to chase it while there is no race to aim for. 
    Saw your run on Strava GD, looked lush- don't you always feel good after 😉 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, yes i have been racking my brains as i can see that this sort of injury from running (and it's not like im running 70 plus miles a week) is pretty rare, and as you say, i probably do more to look after myself than many other runners . 

I don't recall a fall that left me sore. i did take a fall doing a tempo around the race course in perhaps November but onto astroturf and i got up and ran on. I cant see that be a factor. 

Diet wise, ive moved away from diet type shakes at end of last year and eat a decent diet. 

It is a bit of a mystery. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I think we can all agree on that DT 😆
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    DT - well you're on the mend now. Taking the easy easy is a good idea though.

Good news for you too OO
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    GD - well done getting out for a run in the end; sounds like it was worth it.
    OO - pleased to hear things have settled down; probably as well to stick to slightly lower mileage for now.
    DT - a mystery indeed.
    9 miles this morning including 6 times up and down the only thing that passes for a hill round these parts :) That certainly elevated my heart rate.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Weird how you got injured DT but all sounds under control with a measured comeback. Nice.
    Good to see you in the bigger miles, OO, you know that top end speed will return naturally, yer a pro!

Similar session for me today, Gul.
    Just under 8 trail miles before work with 12 hill repeats up and down the mound on the common near McLaren racing in the middle of the session. That got the old ticker working well.

Felt better today and like yesterday, certainly feel better having got out of my pit to do the session. I have actually run every Tuesday and Wednesday morning for the past few weeks but this week has been a mental struggle to get out.
    Maybe the thought of the only race (London) I have left this year looking more unlikely to go ahead after the Boston cancellation was a demotivator?

Anyway, over it now...
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    DT yes 40's is still young so say all us 40+ runners lol  As they say I don't mind getting older but my body is taking it badly ! I'm glad you have some sort of answer to your injury and hopefully you are on the mend . I had to google Sacrum looks like a lower back/pelvis injury it may just have been the straw broke the camels back type injury rather than anything specific .
    GUL good to hear you are getting some speed up after months of plodding .
    MSE so sorry to hear of your friend ,makes you think doesn't it , not the same but 3 guys at work I knew took their own lives in the last few years , one I chatted to every day , comes as quite a shock I can tell you !
    Gdawg nice early run to wake you up.
    0054 your speed  will be back just take it steady for now.

I took 2 days off during nightshifts as trying to sleep in 25c heat when you can't open the window due to noise etc in daytime ain't no fun and left me groggy and just had a walk yesterday as it was to be much cooler today for a long run.
    16 miles covered along the river with some big hills again ,sun was out quite a bit but much cooler than the last few days have been with a nice breeze made it very pleasant out.
    Only 132m last month and 30m for last week but trying to shift to long runs now is proving a bit of a struggle but I will adapt soon enough ...About 800m done this year so slightly behind my 2k year end target but it's just a minor goal and no racing hasn't made it any easier.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - nice session. Thinking I might make the hill repeats a weekly session this summer; tracking progress on a regular session can help with motivation, I find. 
    Leslie - certainly cooler now. Good long run.
    5 mile recovery run this morning.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It does sound like most of us are struggling a bit with motivation without races to focus on. I'm particularly poor early mornings and take a few miles to get going.
     I did a short pacey session one on the beach yesterday. Last mile was 6:23, so getting there. 

Are you feeling fully recovered Gul?
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Felt ready for a bit of proper speed work today. 
    Waited for lunchtime so my body could wake up properly and did a 6 miler with 12 x 30 sec efforts off 1 min jog recoveries. Did a cool down mile then pushed the final mile home to bag a 6.24 final split.
    6.58 avg for the whole thing. felt good to get the legs turning over quicker and feel the lungs bursting a bit. Definitely out of practice but pleased with the session.

These are the sessions I enjoy looking at on my new Strava subscription data screens.  :p
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - yes, thanks. Feeling ready to sharpen up a bit, even though there's no reason to! Good beach session by the sound of it. Can't remember the last time I saw the sea, even though I live close by.
    GD - good work. There's some weird synchronicity going on here as I did a very similar session today. 10 x 200m for me, but much longer recoveries (600m). 8 miles in total.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    5 easy miles this morning. Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done Gul. Very windy here and decided against a morning run. Tea and toast in bed was a more compelling option...
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - doesn't have to either/or. Run followed by coffee and croissants then tea and toast here :)
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Now you're just making me feel bad Gul 😉
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    A lie in for me this morning followed by porridge in the Kitchen.  Out for the run at 7pm by which time the wind had died down a little but I only just avoided the heavy rain squalls.  A steady 7.5 miles at 8:15 m/m pace.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    My turn for a lie-in. Rest day so 40 miles for the week.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    0054 we all need rest days lol 
    Gdawg good reps and final mile
    SBD always nice to beat the rain 
    Gul decent week after so many big ones.

took 2 days off after my 16m run ,leg was quite bad ! then 5m very easy yesterday and out today for a 5 mile tempo although even before the tempo my first mile was 7:38 and then 0.7 of a mile at 7:11 which is unheard of for me as my leg usually refuses to go at the start !
    The following 5 Tempo miles were 6:43, 6:42, 6;46, 6:51, 6:43 so nice and even and 8.5 mile in total . I went down along the river as it's nice and flat and away from traffic as the  roads are starting to get too busy to be crossing flat out now .

35 mile for the week.

Have bought a big foam roller for lying on the floor as my other is more rolling pin hand held type and not much fun to use ,more a torture device . 

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Looks like the 2 day rest did you the world of good Leslie.  Nice tempo effort.

Are you suggesting you had a lie-in until 10:43am Gul?! I don't believe it for one minute.

Nice steady morning run SBD. What mileage did you reach this week?

Excellent speedy run earlier in the week GD.

12 this morning to round off a 50 mile week.  But have felt absolutely knackered most of the week. Legs feel like lead and am running a good 0:30-1:00min/mi slower than usual. Possibly too much going on for me and not enough rest.  Enjoy your weekends all and keep well!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the rest MsE 
    Leslie I bought a foam roller 1 meter long. Absolutely fab investment- £2 from a charity shop.
    17.5 miles for me at snail pace, but my longest run for a month and the hip feels ok.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good to hear the hip is behaving and excellent long run OO.  

I'm on the foam roller twice a day - mainly the calfs - but it's only the 33cm length version!

Good determination to get the miles done this week MsE given how you're feeling.    A similar feeling for me at the moment - most runs are an effort rather than a joy.

A good speed on those tempo miles Leslie and good work on the 16 mile long run.

You're due a rest day Gul.

It's been 16 miles each Sunday for the last 11 weeks but I decided something longer was called for today.  Still feeling sluggish when I set off but gradually convinced myself that I was good for an extra couple of miles. So 18 miles @7:51 pace - felt tough but good to have got done.   72 miles for the week with the streak up to 208 days.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Crikey SBD, good going 👍
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Leslie - nice tempo run. Hope the leg is okay or are you trying out the foam roller?!
    MsE -  good week there. I had been to the kitchen a few times by 10:43 :)
    OO - well done on the long run.
    SBD - very impressive miles as ever and great  streak.
    Hamstring didn't feel great this morning. Did just 5 easy miles.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Amazing stuff, SBD.
    Solid 50 MsE.

We got a bunch of us together for a jaunt in the Surrey Hills on Saturday morning. Usually a few would cram into one car but we all had to drive to a friend's place to obey the social distance rules.

The run was awesome, great fun. Only 13 miles but over 2000 feet of elevation gain. That's big for me, I've avoided proper hills to protect the recovering injury but all went well.
    We went up Leith Hill twice as we looped around different trails and did another big climb to Holmbury viewpoint.

Tea and crumpets on my pal's lawn after made for a brilliant morning.

5 mile recovery yesterday brought 40 up for the week.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Those are the best runs GD. My Sunday run was also with a group of 5, great to catch up after the lockdown..No bonus crumpets though 😉
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    MSE maybe a recovery week needed
    0054 nice long run and bargain roller mine is 15 by 90cm cost more than 2 quid though! 
    SBD still churning out big weeks as normal and nice to go a bit further. 
    Gul yes tried it once not the easiest thing to use but leg was bad on Sunday night and felt a lot better Monday morn which I wasn't expecting I think my IT band is pulling my kneecap as it tightens after a run causing pain which is why I bought it to try. Will see how it goes expectations are low lol Hammy not liking the new speed? Take care. 
    Gdawg sounds like a great day out. 

Just walked as a recovery day here. 

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - sounds like you had a great morning.
    OO - likewise.
    Leslie - yes, that could be the case. It's worse today, so no run.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sadness today as 9th June is always the date of the famous Blaydon race. 
    Here's a photo from 2016 with me and junior OO in red. She beat me that year and won 1st under 19 prize. We were planning to run together again today.