Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    MsE - sorry to hear such terribly sad news. Must be awful for everyone at the school. Take care now.
    OO - still good miles for Jan. I only managed 198. I don't mind ceilings as much as skirting boards! Just usually get a bad neck :)
    Jools - good reps and a nice 18 miler to round off a solid week. Paying someone to do the decorating is tempting...
    GD - nice total.
    Decided on a rest yesterday. Went out early this morning, but the hamstring was still playing up, so no run today either. Finished decorating a door instead.

• Options
    A very steady 6 by way of recovery run this morning (8.44m/m).

244 miles for January, so a solid start to the year.  G-Dawg: I'm telling myself to look on this as extended base-building, and reminding myself that it's a blessing in disguise to have this chance to rebuild my fitness and strength after several years wrecked by repeated injuries.
  • Options
    How upsetting MsE, just awful. 

Over 60 miles for me last week, which gave me 243 for the month. But I have a sore right hamstring. I used the Theragun on it and it felt wonderful for a while, but after a night in bed it was sore again. 

• Options
    Sorry to hear about the hamstring, Speedy.  I hope you've caught it early, and with a bit of rest it will ease off.  
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

MsE, that is horrible news. This pandemic and its collateral damage will be pretty devastating I fear!

Big G- I've been told that it's pretty easy for a good runner to become a good cyclist, but less easy the otherway around. So it's no surprise to hear that Steve Way is smashing that side of things.

Some good miles run in January and since I last posted last Tuesday. Was a busy week last week.

Following Tuesdays icy progression, Wednesday was an easy 10m then Thursday a fartlek type session of 40 mins alternating 4 mins hard, 2 mins easy. I managed to cover 6.25m in that period so just nipped under 40 mins for the 10k, which is nice when there was 12 mins of easy running in there.

I rounded off the week with a mixed pace long of 17.5m with 5m easy then 2 x 5m at mp off 1m easy then 1.5cd. The e-mail mile block came in at 6.42mm, so mp around 6.35 ish. A pretty comfortable session.

That gave me 59 for the week and 223m for January, which is my third highest months training ever. February looks set to be decent, looking at the first 2 weeks of the schedule.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    That’s still a good total despite sacking off OO. Decent weekly total for you too GD. 

Appreciate the kind words. The school community is devastated.

Intervals on the TM today. Finding 400s much easier and found the final three easier than the first three suggesting I could have done with more than the 10 mins warm up I added into the session. Fastest rep was 80 seconds. I struggled to get below 6:30/mi when I started at the end of December so I think it’s a sign my legs aren’t too old to get quick again. After the world record for 60+ was broken with a 2:52 in Japan, I’m hopeful! 
  • Options
    Jools - yes, solid miles for Jan.
    Speedy - sorry to hear about the sore hamstring. 
    DT - another great week of running.
    MsE - definitely an encouraging sign.
    Set off this morning to test out my right hamstring. All seemed good. Then after a few miles the left one started playing up :( Turned back towards home and did 5 slow miles in all. I think I'm cracking up :)
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Gul. Hopefully nothing major and just one of those random middle-aged twinges. Time to try those exercises maybe? Go easy on the decorating too.

Up for a Zwift run around Central Park. 10 miles or so including a warm up and warm down.

Back to building a website which I am trying to launch before a client goes on TV with my logo on his top this week. Anyone with tips on using Wix, send them my way (SOS).

• Options
    10 miles on tired legs today, having done a strength session yesterday. Oof. A flat route would have been smarter!
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Have a rest, Gul and sort that hammy.

Nice Zwifting there MsE. Running in Central Park NYC has been a highlight for me. Did a warm up in there a couple of days before the Boston Marathon and then found myself in a world of pain as I finished the NYC marathon injured in there 2 years later. Absolutely loved it!

Had to drop my car off for a service this morning and had plans to run back along the river Wey. However the trails are all flooded around here so I opted for a make it up Road session instead.

Felt better today and ended up with a 12 miler at 7.19 pace. Still feeling fat but a few speed sessions this month should sort me out.

I love my BBQ food but don’t tell anyone, I’m now a midweek vegetarian and really enjoying it. There, said it!!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    GDawg, part time vegetarianism is the way to go. We are all worthy of the occasional treat.
    Hope it goes better tomorrow Gul.
    Sounds like congrats are due MsE 👍
    Lazy day here, still considering the options 🤔
  • Options
    As a full-time veggie for the best part of 20 years, I can confirm that BBQs are not my favourite events.  You can do nice BBQ food for veggies, but it tends to be hit and miss, in my experience.  And no, we don't like sharing our halloumi with all the meat eaters.
  • Options
    I never liked BBQs even before I was vegan. Burned on the outside, raw in the middle... Food poisoning ahoy!

I've decided it's not my hamstring, or at least not all of it. Just where it inserts behind the knee. It's not painful, just doesn't feel right, and it doesn't like it when I sit or lay still for too long. Sadly I have to work all day at a desk and sleep all night in a bed. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, hope the hammy fixes soon for you.

Nice 12 miler, gdawg.

MsE, I can't assist with the tech issues but congrats on the scenario, sounds positive. Sounds like some great progress there on the paces.

Yes, that is a tricky situation with the need to work and sleep, speedy.

I'm a meat eater but not a great fan of bbqs I must say, particularly as these days most bbqs are gas and in my view you just as well bang it in the oven. However I have Huel for breakfast and lunch Monday-Friday which is vegan based and don't have meat for breakfast on weekends either, so it's only my evening meal generally that we eat meat and that is always something with chicken breast in. My meat intake is considerably less than it was a few years ago.

Session over lunch, 10k alternating between hmp and mp every other k. Overall 10k came in at 39.38 and 6.22mm for a pretty moderate effort HR wise and perception wise.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I actually got a swanky a gas bbq as a retirement present and it's a big hit when the family visits over the summer. Mainly veggie these days but some bangers and burgers for the boyfriends. It's more a social thing, cooking and eating in the garden. A distant thought with today's weather. I took a rest day. 
    Sorry to hear all the injury woes....
  • Options
    No BBQs today in *that* weather. Just a tad wet. Oddly quite a lot of fireworks though. Couldn't see them among the rain clouds, but I could hear them.

• Options
    MsE - hope you managed to sort your website. 
    Jools - good going on tired legs.
    GD - nice pace there. Never really seen the appeal of BBQ food or empathised with the stereotype of a man cooking on a BBQ! I like veggie food but eat meat too with a few main meals each week.
    Speedy - hope the hamstring is okay now.
    DT - good session again.
    Niggle has moved again? Just taking it as a sign to rest. End of decorating is in sight :)

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hope the rest does the trick Gul. Foot exercises might help...
    OO our family BBQ seems to be where the males congregate holding beers and discussing important topics while watching meat cook. As a non-meat eater I can't say BBQs are my favourite things although I like a bit of halloumi! And like Jools it's MINE!
    Pretty decent session there DT. How are you managing it with the uncertainty of events looming?
    Hope your hammy is feeling better Speedy? Go easy with the Theragun. It is possible to overdo it (speaking from experience and bruising my calf).
    Well done getting 10 done on tired legs Jools. I was a bit lacking in springiness for today's tempo. Yesterday's 10 was probably a bit much to leave me fresh for today. But I got it done which is what counts. I do find it hard to just pull out a tempo. MUCH easier to tack on tempo miles at the end of a longer run.
    Having connected with GD on Strava, I am chuckling at how we have been almost neighbours all this time.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the connection, MsE. I always knew you were in Surrey somewhere as you’ve mentioned some of your run locations before. I’d better make sure I raise my run quality to meet your high standards!  :p

On the BBQ front, I hate attending a cremation at someone else’s, you don’t get that with mine. I love the preparation and the cooking of meat and vegetarian options. It’s also part of the outdoor social experience with others. I have both gas and charcoal, the gas one is brilliant for summer evenings with just the family, it lights quick and you’re cooking in a couple of minutes. The charcoal one is a Kadai so doubles as a fire pit to sit round in the late summer evenings with the food and a glass of something cheeky, lovely!

With recent runs feeling somewhat cumbersome, I decided I needed some quicker leg turnover work. Got out today on an 8 miler which comprised 16 x 0.25 miles off 1 min walk/jog recoveries. Finished with a saucy little 6.35 final mile split. Decent enough but work to do.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Sounds like you are going well MsE which is great to see. I'm just surviving a low patch with plod runs and no quality sessions. Really missing my swims too.
    Yes mind you don't get a beasting GD 😂
    I'm with you on the BBQ- take mine very seriously 👨‍🍳

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Must have been a special occasion for someone I guess, Speedy. Otherwise a seemingly bizarre night to release fireworks.

Nice going, gdawg. I just fine them a hassle. My wife makes me clean it before I use in case spiders etc have been on it since last use and then after I've used it. To me it seems sensible to just clean immediately before use based on her irrationality. I just can't be doing with the bother.

I have recently discovered a taste for hallumi!

OO- same here with my spin classes, in that I am really missing them. I have the turbo in the garage but it 's miles of being comparable.

Gul, from experience, when you are chasing a niggle around the same side there's an imbalance somewhere that is causing it and needs sorting.

MsE, As far as I am concerned I am training for a mara in 8.5 weeks and I am enjoying the process. I think I will need to get to the point of taper to hear if it is on or off, by which time (assuming I don't injure myself) i'll be fitter and stronger for the process and can move onto the next cycle without all the associated post mara recovery. I therefore see it as a win. I either race, or I don't race, take a couple of weeks out and start the next training block even fitter than if I had raced. There'll be covid safe races come May like there were last summer and Autumn. If I have to travel to Goodwood or somewhere up North and run laps of a race circuit to get my outcome then so be it.

10m MLR today, very light effort for 7.56mm. There were times when I felt like I was barely moving and kept double checking the gps info.

Lighter day tomorrow before a Friday tempo.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - the Dorney folks cancelled everything up to the end of March, but are still planning on Dorney, at the mo there is no alternative date (they are having an oct race again). They are waiting on govt update later in the month before they decide further. Run through are still pushing March and April races at the mo.........ive been doing a bit less than i would normally before a mara, so it gives me more recovery following CV19, but i can step it up for 5 or 6 weeks if Dorney goes ahead. I dont think it will, but like you say racing will come back this yr (Probably later than Dorney) so the training isnt wasted...for me the one event best suited to a mottor cct staggered start race is a marathon as its a TT between myself and the clock/distance and not a race of any sort.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Tr, yes I do think Dorney is potentially 2 or 3 weeks too soon. Perhaps if it cancels they'll create a new date. I just don't want to put all my eggs in one basket with London when I need a new gfa. We all know there's plenty of things that can derail a mara. 

Yes agreed, for most a mara is a private timetrial, regardless of who is around you. 

I noted the run through guys have an event on 28th March. 

I have to cancel my slough Hotel within 28 days of event to get a refund. It might be I cancel then rebook closer to date if its happening. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - i was hoping they'd find a new date in May or June, but they pointed me at the Essex race in April, and they have a lot of duathlons and triathlons planned already too. Think we'll be looking elsewhere. Once the govt guidance updates later in Feb, then we'll have a better idea re Dorney, and wether i need to up it for a few weeks.....CV mutations might slow the easing of restrictions despite the superb vaccination roll out.
  • Options
    MsE - know what you mean about tempo runs; definitely need some sort of warm up first, strides or a good few miles to get going :) 
    GD - good session.
    DT - no, it's switched sides :) I blame ditching the cheap, worn out shoes.
    Another rest day.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this Gul but as you say rest is best.
    DT if the race is cancelled would you not fancy a virtual to test yourself- maybe at 90-95%. I tried 3 last year at different paces and found them rewarding in different ways, if somewhat pointless.
    Better weather today, hoping to do some kind of tempo sesh.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Rest will do you good, Gul but when it’s forced upon us we hate it!
    Enjoy the tempo OO.
    A colleague is training well for Goodwood, DT. You seem to be good at getting early info on race info, I said I’ll keep an eye out on here. Hope it goes ahead, he’s in the form of his life.

Popped out for an easy 5 today. Very pleased that 7.29 feels easy. Rest tomorrow and go long on Saturday.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

TR- yes the mutations I think will cause some government hesitancy in opening back up fast. I suspect the Essex race in April may also fall foul of things. I am hopeful that someone will recognise that many will have trained for April maras and will put a covid safe one on at short notice in May perhaps. It's not like they need to sell 3000 places and can combine with other distances to make it work financially.

G-dawg, Lewis (coach) is good friends with the owner of run through events and we often get discounts to their events and them finding places in full events for us if Lewis asks. Goodwood will fall away if Dorney does as same weekend I think. Nice little trot.

Gul, yes changing trainers can lead to issues, however knowing what you squeeze out of yours i'd be very surprised if that were your problem!

00- I am just not sure that floats my boat. It just means I have to go through the full recovery cycle for no material gain. I have the Ashby 20 virtual on 21st March and by then we will know if Dorney et al will be on or not. Lewis takes a more longer term view of these things and has suggested that if Dorney is off and there's nothing in close proximity then I should give Ashby virtual some welly as amongst other things it'll benefit me come London in October.

Off out shortly for 5m recovery then 40 mins or so on turbo. Thought i'd beat the rain but it seems to have started earlier than forecast.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Think Lewis (assume Moses?) is really good at planning these things, DT. I'd feel totally happy to follow his lead.

Nicely done on the easy 5 GD.

Hope the tempo goes well and it is dry for you (wet down south), OO.

Gul -gutted for you. How about some foot exercises?

Easy 45 mins today.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Ah yes that makes sense DT. I've done Ashby by the way- the real one. Lovely race if I remember well. I was just determined to get my regulation 3 maras last year, even virtual ones.
    MsE it was awful again so I sacked off the tempo, wrapped up warm and ran an easy 10 miler with my ipod blasting.