Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Crikey VT that's sounds pretty awful. I had a mild form of PF once and it was a bugger to shake off but yours sounds very serious. Keep up the rehab 👍
  • Options
    Apologies for the flying visit. Away on work business so managed a 5 mile jaunt this morning up and down the hotel drive and round the car park till it was light enough to head down the road into Sprowston. Now off for day 2 of a conference then home tonight.
  • Options
    CC2 - Speedy GothCC2 - Speedy Goth ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Nice graph SeDan! I had similar when I started again after my broken ankle (which involved over 4 months of zeros, so don't worry too much VT!)

I had lactate threshold testing done last night. You run on a treadmill for 3 mins, they take blood (finger prick), go again slightly faster, repeat until you get to over 2mmol/L higher than your base. My estimated lactate threshold is currently around 165 HR, which on a pancake flat treadmill was 6 min miling. Passed that all over to Coach Vince. I wonder what he'll do with it....
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Interesting test Speedy - was that your initiative or the coaches?  And what is your HR at 10K and 5K pace for comparison?

Sounds like a scenic run Gul!  are you missing those early morning long runs yet?

The PF injury sounds a real pain VT although at least you're back moving again.  I've had a few close calls with PF in the past but the sports masseuse has always managed to nip it in the bud.

Tempo session yesterday, 4K w/u, 10K stepped tempo and 4K w/d.  The paces for the tempo section came out as 4K @ 6:26/m, 4K @ 6:20/m, 1K @ 6:13/m and 1K @ 6:05/m.  Just about the right effort - comfortable for the first 4K and close to the limit for the last 1K!

7.5 recovery miles early evening with some S&C.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Just in case you missed it:

2022 Boston Marathon Registration Opens Monday, November 8!

Registration for the 126th Boston Marathon opens this Monday, November 8, within Athletes' Village. Qualified athletes may submit a registration application up until Friday, November 12 at 5:00 p.m. ET.

MORE INFORMATION

Boylston Street Boston Marathon

• Options
    I spotted it was offered at the place I go to for my S&C, mentioned it to Vince and he was very keen for me to get it done. So a bit of both! We didn't run at 10k pace so I don't have that one. HM pace was 161, MP was 157 based on my PBs. Looking back at Strava (although it was wrist based so less accurate) London was 158 average. I can't be bothered to scroll back as far as the Great North!
  • Options
    Speedy, I'd say that's an impressive LT. And you've been running your races just under. Well calibrated efforts.

Today was interesting. Taught Swedish microbiologists about viral defective interfering particles in the AM, managed a 2 hr elliptical session in the late afternoon (while re-watching Minority Report for the first time since it was released; it has aged well!), and then getting my Pfizer booster shot this evening. A good day. Pretty sure I'll sleep well tonight ;-)
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    SEdan, that's a very positive graph there!

VT Runner, sorry to hear about the PF. Glad to hear things have improved. Yesterday sounds like a productive day. I've never seen that film.

Speedy, that sounds pretty interesting. Sort of thing i'd be all over if I ever got to sort it.

SBD, decent progressive intervals there. Before Covid I had ear marked Boston 22 as i recall it fell really well into the school holidays so we were tentatively going to make a trip of it, however I have had to defer my aspirations of running all the Majors by 50 having lost almost 2 years.

OO, Yes I am conscious I will need to tackle this very differently. I already feel a bit sick about it!

So I have been pondering how I tackle it. I looked at my last parkrun in December 2019, between xmas and new year I run at 5.57mm. At that point looking at my fitbit stats, despite holiday, I am about 5kg lighter, I am not in the middle of Xmas festivities and I am fitter. I ran a 3 x 5k session weeks before London in 18.15, 18.16 and 18.15 and went through 5k in my last half in about 18.13 so all about 5.52 pace.

Logically, balancing all those matters up, it wouldn't seem ridiculous to go out at 5.30-5.40mm, even if I drop off a bit, It shouldn't lead to a blow up and death march? Any thoughts appreciated???

This week, after Tuesdays session I have had some doms in hamstrings and a sore left foot. I worked out that my easy run trainers have been in use since the start of March so with a minimum of 20m a week, thats circa 35 weeks so could well be pushing 900m, so I've swapped them out and had  a new pair delivered this morning and been working on the sore foot which feels better now.

Managed easy 8m Wednesday then 10k yesterday. Out for 4m with strides over lunch.

In other news a local runner speedster who lives about half a mile from me who i've recently starting chatting too etc has invited me out for an easy run. By speedster, he came 7th in the mass race in London in 2.21 and having just turned 40, won the world title in his age group. So I will be picking his brains for sure as a few years ago he was just under 2.45.

• Options
    Speedy - would love to get a LT test. Not entirely sure what I would do with the information in training!
    VTr - sorry to hear about all the hassle with PF etc  Sounds like a varied day. Hope you feel okay today :)
    SBD - cracking session. My run wasn't particularly scenic, firstly in the dark, then running in towards Norwich city centre and back along a main road, although back at the hotel for the final stretch was better with views across the golf course. Just good to run somewhere different for a change.
    4 miles this morning on more familiar territory - out back from home to the supermarket.
  • Options
    DT - xpost. Personally I would start out a tiny bit more conservatively, not a lot though 5:45/m say, and then pick it up for the last 2 miles. But then again, I never actually manage that in reality. Are you likely to have any company? Like the 2:21 guy, for example! 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    The new running pal sounds a great knowledge source, DT
    Interesting stuff on the LT test, Speedy. It will be interesting to see how that applies to your training plans.
    Nice to run in different places, Gul, glad you enjoyed it.
    Impressive volumes again, SBD. I don't know how you do it.

Track last night. It was quite cold so did a good warm-up and then it was 6 x 1k comprising 1k progressives of 3.5x, 3.4x, 3.3x then repeat for a second set. Actually felt better doing the quicker ones, funny enough. Felt the lungs working hard which was good. Hit all the numbers and bagged 6 miles for the night.

Hamstrings are a tad better after the strength work I've don on them recently but I've contacted a local physio to give them a sports massage as I haven't had one for a few years.

Trails in the hills tomorrow and a recovery on Sunday to complete the 4 sessions this week.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    G dawg some decent reps and good control there. I had a sports massage booked and paid for for about 5 days after London but the guy cancelled as was unwell. I've messaged him this morning to get that booked back in as still feel I would benefit from one asap.

Gul, yes best intenstions etc. The only distance I can control pace early on is the marathon, everything else, despite a plan, goes a bit mad! Looking at previous results of event there are usually only 1 or 2 guys running sub 18 so unlikely I can relay on that.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    DT all my best 5ks start with a 5:30-5:35 1st mile. I'd argue that 5k should be run completely the opposite to a marathon where I always try to negative split. With 5k you need to be on it from the start. Do a couple of warm up miles including some strides- a few short sprint efforts. When I'm going for it I do this and only stop 5 mins before parkrun start to let my hr come down. The beauty of parkrun is that they are there for you every week, so don't show them any respect. Even if you totally screw it up you can just come back and try again next week. Sadly I'm not in that kind of shape and will be happy with a sub 20 tomorrow. Good luck buddy 👍
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your thoughts, is suspect i'll go out in the 5.30s and hope i have it in me. I should add also that my parkrun I cite above was done in some 4% shoes. I'll be the alphafly tomorrow, which may well assist a little.

Looking forward to just getting it done.....hope I don't sleep late after all this!!

4m over lunch with 4 x 15s strides in last mile.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Sounds like a good plan DT - good luck!

How's the post-Covid recovery OO

Good interval session G-D - similar to mine.  The sports massage should help.

Any park runs planned yet Gul?

Interval session early-evening a bit similar to G-D's, so 6 sets of 1,000m with 500m jog recoveries with a 4K w/u and 3K w/d to give 10 miles for the days. Interval paces of 3:42, 3:42, 3:42, 3:42, 3:39 and 3:36.  A few seconds per 1K rep slower than the same session pre- London, so a bit of work still to do over the next few weeks.  
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Decent reps again, SBD. 

So parkrun went largely to an, it hurt an awful lot. I'd take a marathon everyday over that discomfort! 

5.36 first mile and by then I was blowing and wondering how I was going to finish. 5.48, 5.46 then 5.37 pace for scraps gave me a 5.43 average and 17.50. So job done, decent sized pb and sub 18 box ticked. On to the sub 60 attempt next Sunday now, which starts at a much more sociable 11am. 
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Lovely long run with TRFKALorenzo this morning after he met the puppy.

GDawg Let me know your HM plans as I probably ought to have an eye on one before I get to Tokyo. Something the first two weeks of February is probably optimal for me which rules out Wokingham sadly, esp if SBD is going to be there. And good stuff focusing on the hammy. I believe that (and your hip?) have been a regular feature in injuries?

I like the sound of the new wildlife reserve GD. Where is it? I spent many summers at Longleat although the interesting accounts of the Viscount of Bath were probably as fascinating as the animals.

TR thank you for the warning. I shall pay careful attention to any effect from the magic shoes. I did the track session in them this week and decided that I am not ready for sub-6 min efforts yet. I felt tiredness in my ankles two days later. I think I need to hang around the tempo range for a while developing more resilience before letting rip. Solid intervals there.

OO If you can run 2:58 I struggle to see why you think you can't get near 2:55? Except for the negative self talk and self-imposed limiting belief that is.  ;)  Hope you are recovering from your bout of Covid. I cannot wait until I get my booster and am strangely envious of the over-50s.

SBD I think the jet lag will be something I can only partially mitigate. Having spent my childhood travelling between the UK and HK, it is dreadful going East and usually takes up to a week to slip into the time zone. I can try to trick my circadian rhythms beforehand and maybe run nearer the time the race is. But with a +9 hour time difference between Tokyo and London, that still equates to a midnight run for a 9am start. The reality is I will be best off using it as a start to my marathon cycles after nearly 6 years away from endurance racing, and aim for an autumn one if I want to run with a time goal in mind.  Having said that, if I am not around the 3-hour mark based on current fitness, I will be disappointed. But getting a sub-3:15 champs entry time for London would be ideal and should be very achievable.  AND (you get the longest reply today!) I am with you on the weight training thoughts this winter. Currently pondering a routine of weightlifting to develop that resilience I need as there is no better way to do this. That element of controlling the variable of weight is so effective and safe rather than just mo' miles.

DT absolutely cash in your fitness chips now. Having put in the financial investment to get a great coach and then the time and physical/mental effort with the training, payday should be rewarding! I tend not to overthink these things re pacing. Can your NBF act as your hare?

Sedan now that is very gratifying to see! Are you doing anything specific to lose weight or allowing it to happen naturally? There is a much healthier dialogue now in relation to weight and the recognition that simply being lighter is not necessarily conducive to being faster or healthier. I am glad to see this having witnessed a lot of young talent succumb to eating disorders and years of misery, not to mention no longer being able to run.

VTr - you sound like you have had a lot to deal with! And errr MrE also said no, so I ignored him and went ahead anyway. If you haven't already tried it, The Older Yet Faster pairing of Keith Bateman and Heidi Jones offer so much wisdom on our bodies, feet and how to run injury free. While they are barefoot runners, they really just educate on how to avoid injury and get stronger. Heidi's foot exercises are BRILLIANT. Had PF last year and it was persistent. Importantly, they have helped me understand the years and time needed to develop strength in my lower legs.

Busy week here. A bit of track with the club where I did the club session instead of my coached one. I think I will stick to my own session for a while as it will avoid me getting carried away and running too fast. My legs are not yet ready for quicker paces and it is always a balance between developing speed and keeping it relative to fitness. Fitness comes on quickly whereas I really do think I have needed the full 3.5 year post surgery for my posterior tibial tendon to have strengthened enough to even do workouts. I am aiming for consistency over quick gains. Chatting to TRFKALorenzo today on our long run I was reminded of my goals which is to run consistently and let the gains come to me. I have unfinished business with the marathon.

Solid week of running not quite 50 miles (inc. a club xc match), looking after a new puppy and another week of cutting my teeth in the new work role. Have a good weekend all. 🙂
  • Options
    SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    Sitting here watching the build up to the NYC Marathon feeling a bit sorry for myself. What do they say, pride comes before a fall?

Got hit with a lurgy on Thursday evening. Probably caught it from my daughter who was sick multiple times on Wednesday. I've not been sick but have had mild fevers, aches (legs only just starting to wake up) and generally feeling drained. 2 or 3 days in and I still slept about 11 hours last night. No running for the next few days I think to properly recover. No point pushing too hard when sick at this point. The main goal is steady improvement for an Autumn 2022 marathon (hopefully Chicago, we'll see) and before then a spring half.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Its a juggling act MsE, as the shoes will help you to some degree but you dont want them to change things in your robustness (or not)...... Remember that strength not speed is the key to marsthoning too, so you dont need to make those legs chase much pace.

DT - made me smile that you turned up to parkrun in race gear (no offence meant - ive never parkrun, in my mind its for folks with buggies and dogs in tennis shoes who have been doing C25K). .........you have big PB gains to claim at all distances from 1/2 mara downwards, you just need to turn your brain off and run (like you stole it). Certainly could be worth another parkrun but turn the watch offand just run.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    SEdan, just watching it myself and feeling a bit sad as pre covid I was running the 50th event. I've deferred to 2023 now. It's I interesting watching though, never realised it started with a climb. Conditions look perfect. 

TR, not sure there's much to take on the half just yet. I have to with parkrun otherwise when it starts to hurt it becomes too easy to decide there's always next week. I treated it like I would a race with my build up mentally all week. 

Sounds like you have your hands full, MsE. Is there any talk of a booster for under 50s? 

A very light 13.1 today, bizarrely so in fact. Lowest hr I've ever recored over that dort of run at normal long run pace. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    54 miles here plus 4 swims so quite a heavy comeback week. I'm still feeling some effects of covid as shown by my 20:48 parkrun. I've no top speed but I just love pulling on those Vaporflys and feeling the jet boost.
    Well done DT. You executed the race perfectly and it was brave to go out at that pace. It's not your priority but I guarantee if you went back regularly your times would tumble- It's the nature of 5k running. TR I know what you mean but if parkrun us your platform for a 5k pb it helps to treat it like a race. Not week in week out, but just those few occasions when you are gonna go for it. Race shoes and kit are absolutely essential 😆

MsE you are on good form.....in every sense 😉

• Options
    SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    DT19 - you are right, it was perfect conditions in NYC especially given it can already be snowing this time of year! ABC / EPSN was pretty average but not sure we get any good running coverage? Molly Seidel did will for the US, running a PB on the back of the Olympics bronze and a 2 min US course record. On a different day she could have well have been on the podium. Seems to have definitely inherited Shalane Flanagan's mantle, who in fact was running with the masses again and seems to be on track for a 2:33.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    I'm planning to watch NYC a little later.

That's an impressive comeback week OO. I'm sure the speed won't be far behind.

Well done on getting the parkrun PB below 18 minutes DT.  I'm sure there is more to come with some 5K focused training.  And a nice 13 today.

A good week's running MsE.  Wokingham is very much a club runners event with a quick field - so well worth running.  Another one to consider is the Farnborough Half Marathon at the end of January.  As you say, no easy answer on the Tokyo jet lag other than getting there as early as possible but you would be wise to run the marathon conservatively.

Strange business this running.  I was dreading today's long run, even considering a rest day, but once I'd got the running shoes on and hit the trail everything felt good.  So 18 miles in 2:14, average 7:25/m, with the legs feeling strong and the pace increasing progressively.

72 miles for the week.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sbd, thanks, pleased to tick it over. 

Is 18 your default long now or do you have a mara sooner than Spring.

SEdan/SBD,  As for NY coverage, I was disappointed Eurosport knocked it on head as soon as elites were done. I love watching the people at our level etc come through. The male winner looked like he was on jelly legs until 40k. Was also surprised by the climbing in Central Park. 

Thanks, oo. I found mile 2 the hardest, probably some mind games in there as well as it seemed inconceivable I could keep it up for 2m. Mile 3 hurt but it was only 5 more minutes. I'll take a marathon any day over a 5k though. 

Tr, I've only ever run one 1, 5k. Once I discovered parkrun I didn't really see point of paying for a 5k race. I ran my first parkrun in June 2013 and yesterday was my 36th so I do tend to only go when I'm prepared to go hard. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey OO, be careful. CV is nasty although i wasnt double jabbed when i had it (unbelievably a year ago).

SBD - thats a sharp long run, good that you are still putting decent mileage in each week, so you can back up campaigns well.

DT - fair point re the 5ks, i havnt run one in years. Theres a summer series near me (approx 1m from home) that folks travel a long way to, but it doesn't interest me. I did 17.3X one time though.

16 for me yday, im deliberately sitting just shy of marathon mileage, so mlr of 10 to 12m and long run of 16m, for a 65m week last week. Turbo intervals today( 10min wu, 20 x 90s/30s, 5 x 30s/30s, 5min wd).

Any O'50s take note.......govt is about to announce that you can book a CV booster from tomorrow so you can have the booster 6 months after jab 2 (up until now you couldnt book until the 6 months was up), but the website booking is already live, im booked in for 3 wks time.
  • Options
    GD - good to give your hammies a bit of TLC. Well, C anyway :)
    SBD - still some very solid reps. Great long run.
    DT - good work at parkrun and another box ticked with an impressive PB.
    MsE - building up some good consistency. Love the picture :)   It was Watatunga Wildlife Reserve which is just a few miles from King's Lynn and it specialises in endangered deer and antelope.
    SEDan - sorry to hear that. Yes, rest up and hope you recover quickly.
    OO - pleased to hear you're well enough to put in all those miles if not fast ones just yet.
    TR - very tidy week of running there.
    Come down with the lurgy over the last few days. Started with a sore throat and now progressing nicely :(  Lateral flow test was negative, so that's one positive :)  
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cracking 5k, DT. Well done on sub-18. Sounds My PB is 18.47 and was a proper lung buster, so goodness knows what yours felt like!

Hope you're feeling better, Gul. At least it's just a 'regular' lurgy.

Lobe the picture, MsE. Glad you enjoyed the meet-up with Lorenzo.

Nice volume, OO. back in business.

Back to the Surrey Hills at the weekend. Just a 10 miler to get back into it but six of us got out and had a good laugh getting lost. Definitely out of practice.
    Wasn't sure what to do yesterday as Saturday was shorter than normal. Ended up doing an easy 9 miler. I say easy, I'm not sure my hamstrings would have allowed me to go any quicker. Can't wait to see the physio tomorrow.

Depending on what happens, I'll make  decision on Wednesday on the 10k race on Saturday and the XC League on Sunday.

I watched the NYC marathon yesterday. Great to see the course on TV and recognising certain parts. Brought back so many memories of 2019, although mainly ones of pain, there's a lot of uphill on that course. Due to injury I only managed 183 miles in a 5 week campaign, for London last month I did over 800 in 18 weeks, quite a difference. I remember laughing at myself as I cruised to 15 miles at sub-3.10 pace thinking that the lack of training will kick-in soon, and boy did it, with interest! 

NYC was an amazing experience overall, definitely worth the incredibly expensive entry fee.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks TR me and Mrs OO booked in- allowing 30 days post covid 👍Immense week there.
    GDawg I can hardly remember NY mara only the pain of the last 3 miles in Central Park.
    Bad luck Gul but definitely lucky if not Covid. My first test was negative so test again if symptoms persist 🤞
    Great comments on the 5k DT. 3000m track is  even worse. 1.9 miles flat out at c5:15 pace. It's hell on earth 😆

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Booster booked for me as well.

If logistics allow and a place is available I may try and run NYC in 2022.

Go easy with that lurgy Gul.

Some good training there TR - what are the race plans pre-Christmas?

DT - Manchester is the only planned marathon but it's good to get the long run up to 18 miles before the 18-week training plan start.  As the last 18 milers have gone really well, I'll keep this as a minimum other than on race weeks where I may just do a second run later in the day.

7.5 recovery miles early evening followed by some S&C.  Have just been using body weight for these exercises to date but need to start adding some weight soon.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Im still creaking a bit hammy wise Dawg, but i often have a tight hammy

OO - good point, youve just had the turbo powered booster. Im booked in for 3 wks time.

SBD - good plan, ive kept the long run up 18 to 20 pretty much year round in the last few years, but am having a few weeks at a deliberate 16m as a mini break from the longer runs.......ive Gosport 1/2 in 2 wks, also had a rolled over Goodwood mara place 2 wks later, but ive changed that to 1/2 too, havnt done much quicker running apart from a couple of 3 min sessions, but worked hard in a few turbo sessions. Wont get too excited about either until race weekend as both are at the mercy of the wind. 2 good hit outs is the aim, with some faster tham mp running.