Sub 3h15

Comments

• That's pretty good going all things considered 00. Good luck with the drinking!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Stevie, now is the time you need to just dig in, fo the training and trust that the process will win out in the end. 

Oo, decent outcome in the circumstances for sure and sounds like you've had a bit of fun as well. 

Tr, I'm getting a bit concerned about these stats coming out of professional football. A 500% increase this year in on field cardiac arrest at a time when scanning etc should be reducing it. Plus mid week two games get stopped as supporters in crowd collapse. All being linked to jab. I've never had a flu jab and never had flu. 

Jools, I had a case recently where somehow the bundle hit 1400 pages and huge amounts need not have been there. I just thought, poor counsel is going to have to read it all despite my instructions, just in case. 

Out early (8am) for me today as meeting family for lunch half way between us at midday. 14m at 7.36mm. There is definitely something quite virtuous about being done and dusted before 10am. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - its difficult to know if the footballers were vaccinated or had had CV. I bumped into a mates wife yday who is a nurse and she asked if i was still running, she told me to take it easy after my booster as its been linked with heart inflammation, but no doubt Czv has too. I told her i had binned my planned 1/2 for today. But i googled it and the instances are low, but as you say theres a lot of footballers having inatances on pitch, no mention of other sports though esp runners, so makes you wonder if its cos footballers are unvaccinated, they arnt the brightest bunch and lots seem to oppose the jab. Don't forget that footballers have had a quite heavy workload recently too. Strange that its football though, no mention of athletes, rugby players etc
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, I kind of took it as football being so much more high profile that things filter up. Two guys (granted 60 plus and not competitive runners) on the local parkrun scene dropped dead last week just out jogging. 

I assume the footballers were jabbed, otherwise they are in a steady state and no reason to cause such an increase. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I read that one of the footballers with the cardiac incidents was not vaccinated at all, while another had an underlying heart condition.

After my booster I had 24hrs of feeling somewhat jaded but that may also have been the flu jab I had at the same time, or a combination of both, I really don't know. I had Covid and it was nasty, nothing like the 24 hours of light grogginess from my first vaccine and my booster (2nd vax had zero reaction). 

Had a big London reunion on Saturday so had little time for running. Did a very slow 10 on the trails on Friday and got 6 miles in before the work reunion on Saturday.

I think the core, glute and hamstring work is starting to show as on Saturday morning the tightness and pain was more on just the right leg. Rested yesterday to let the work bed in and I'll get a 5 or something in today and reassess.

OO - congrats on Valencia, that's a good time against the backdrop of Berlin and London in recent months. Hope you get well involved in those beers.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - you're going to have to make a decision re the Booster,  cant see it hurting someone as fit as you,  and it's about the team game imo. Depends how you close family feel about it too.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Thanks to new travel rules I had to pay 55 Euros for a lateral flow test in Spain to come home tomorrow- fortunately negative. Its hard to grasp the rationale for a lateral flow in Spain followed by a pcr in the uk- whilst isolating. It seems an odd combo to me. Personally I'm glad I had the booster though- this is clearly about immunity not just  testing. 

Looking forward to get home 🤞
  • OO: I hope the journey goes smoothly.  The 3.11 may have been a disappointment in the context of other results this year, but it's still a very solid result, and you definitely deserved a fun weekend with decent drinking in a lovely city.

Chest started to feel a bit achy again yesterday afternoon, so I'm clearly not quite over my post-viral fatigue.  I've LFT'd to the max, so I'm as sure as I can be that it's not and wasn't Covid...

Re: heart attacks.  I thought that any viral infection can result in inflammation of the heart, which is why you should be cautious about exercising with a cold, especially with 'below the neck' symptoms, and very cautious about racing.  It may be a rare occurrence, but given the severity of it, it's really not worth the risk. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Jools, yes I've read that also re virus of any nature causing the same. 

TR, I'm very much in the we not me camp in all of this so do have a booster booked for the first date I am eligible and will almost certainly take it. 

I did some research on some of these footballers in line with gdawgs comments and it does seem that they either weren't vaccinated (of course those with an agenda won't caveat their headlines with inconvenient facts) or had genetic issues. 

Easy 5m yesterday and spin. Off out very shortly for a session to try and beat worst of the weather. Finally had my county 10m champs v40 medal yesterday following the champs in mid July! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - shame you're not 100% yet.

DT - good man, i agree, its about the team game.
  • OO - Great run in Valencia given the circumstances, I hope the beers went down well and travel home wasnt too stressful
    Jools - I hope your chest clears fairly soon and your managing to still get some miles in

Better session on Tuesday of 2 x mile, 4x 800, 4x 400 increasing pace with the shorter distances. Managed to avg 5.15 for the 400s which I was pleased with in the wind. Been working on my fueling as I was struggling with a Tuesday night session followed by a 5.45am swim session. Seemed to go much better as I did my longest and strongest swim session so far Wednesday morning.

Sports massage yesterday so didnt get out for a run as I had forgotten about the appointment and hadnt got out in the morning when I could have done! 4 miles with strides tonight before a bash at parkrun tomorrow. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Which parkrun you off to, Stevie?

Same here, 4m recovery over lunch with dome short sharp strides to finish. Rest day tomorrow ready gor Sundays 5m race. 
  • I think Cannon Hill DT. That and Brueton are equal driving time away but I think Cannon is the quicker of the two
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Have you looked at Oaklands or Edgbaston reservoir? Smaller events. Too many people at Canon Hill and too many sharp turns for my liking. Plus it finishes up a hill. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I did my local parkrun after a heavy sesh with my running pals Xmas meal. Quite happy with 19:35. How did you go Stevie?
    I've had a few short fast runs this week and seem to have no mara after effects beyond the ongoing hip issue. No more racing this year but would like to get near 18 mins in the remaining parkruns of 2021.
    Good luck with the 5 miler DT. New pb 🤞
    Hope you're feeling better Jools
  • 17.57 for me. DT i thought you meant the hill up to the bandstand on the main loop so I wasn't expecting that steep finish!

Really happy with that, an 8s PB, first one for 2 years! Probably relaxed a bit too much in the 2nd mile and went off too quick but will take a PB in my first 5k for over two years. Splits were 5.30/5.54/5.49 and 6.43 pace for the finish!!

Good going OO especially so soon after the marathon!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Wow Stevie I'm impressed. You just need a  bit of speed at the end but fantastic effort 👍
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Stevie, hopefully the start of many! You must have thought I had some kind d of gradient phobia until you turned for the finish! 

Decent effort, oo all things considered. 

29.02 today. Got into a race for 3rd place, passed the lad about 2m in and he stayed in touching distance until mile 5 which was largely downhill. Whilst I was able to kick on with a 5.35m, he posted a 5.55 so beat him by 30s or so in end. 

Had a small trophy and £15 gift card for my efforts. 

That's 2 complete calendar years, 14 races, 7 distances, 14 pbs. 

I'll need counselling when that run ends and I don't pb!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - nice one, great racing streak that. Plenty more to come yet. Enjoy a bit of downtime before you start building for manchester.
  • Telford 10k for me. It's pretty scary running in a race where literally everyone is either much the same speed as you or faster. Especially when the faster ones are coming back at you on the out and back section. I ran a road PB of 38.43 (from 39.04 but I ran 38.35.9 on the track). 5th V40 over the line but 4th on chip time. 

I'm not sure why I'm disappointed. My training hasn't been all that great lately. Going back to the office three days a week has messed with my digestion, meant I'm training later in the evening and losing an hour of sleep in the morning those days. My aging body doesn't like it! I should be over the moon. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Speedy, just looking at men's results and about top 25 were sub 30. You've got guys running sub 32 in almost any 10k they enter are finishing 1st, are coming 100th here. It's a bizarre situation. Congrats on the pb. 

A few years ago I went 2 years without a pb, just stagnating for no reason. I said back then, if I pb'd again I'd embrace every one. You should enjoy it. 

Aren't you changing back now government instruction has changed? I've struggled last 8 weeks getting in s and c and same level of recovery going to office 3 days. Looking forward now to what looks like the rest of winter fully at home. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done guys we do love a PB. Those fast races help I think Speedy. Running faster is less scary when there are fast folks all around you. I'll pass on the embrace DT and just settle for a pint 😉
    The roof was damaged at my local pool in recent storms so they closed it. Rather than travel to the next one I've suspended my membership for now. Really missing the swims and keen to find an alternative cross training option. 
    29 miles last week. I'm gonna focus on short stuff this week and aim for a faster parkrun before Xmas.
  • I thought track times were usually faster than road times?  Congrats on the PB, Speedy.

9 miles for me yesterday.  Still not feeling motivated to run/train hard, but it was nice to go for a scenic plod.
  • DT I think my company have decided they don't GAS about Covid any more. We're in, they're encouraging everyone to go in whether scheduled or not, on Thursday for Christmas lunch (I pointedly cancelled mine!) and we're not even wearing masks. Needless to say I am starting to think more seriously about looking elsewhere. Since Brexit I no longer enjoy any part of it, it's just hard because I've been there nearly 19 years. 

I find tracks tricky Joolska, too many corners! I would have been looking for a PB on the 27th, but I've now got my booster booked in for the 19th. If it's anything like the previous two I can forget that!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'd book a day in bed for your booster Speedy if it's anything like mine. 

• Sorry this is a c+p from the sub-3 thread, but my news is: I've decided to call a halt to racing, or trying to get fit for racing, for the indefinite future.  I'm just a bit too sick of getting stuck in a cycle of trying to get fit, getting injured or ill, and then losing fitness, and then re-starting.  Apart from May 2020-May 2021, most of the last 5 years have been that cycle, and trying to get race fit exacerbates it, as I focus on the arbitrary timeline of when the race is rather than what my body's timeline is.  So I'm going to become a fun runner: someone who runs for fun.  I'll still be on the thread, to see how you're all getting on, but if you don't see a bunch of posts from me about training and racing, that's why!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    As much of a shame that is, Jools, it sounds like a good idea and totally understandable. The race cancellations of the past couple of years have done me a right favour in that I was able to get some injury issues sorted and since Jan 1st this year, lay down a fitness foundation with no race pressures. 
    Do make sure you keep us updated on how you're doing and also do what MsE does and tell us off when we're doing it wrong!  :D
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I know it's the right decision for you Jools but I help feeling sad about this. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's a shame, Jools, but ultimately we do this for fun and enjoyment and if that is missing then you need to do whatever is needed to bring it back. 

Speedy, my firm have been generally very good. They didn't even attempt to organise an Xmas party and friends at other firms took the mick, but their parties are planned for this Friday. If my firm had a full Xmas party this Friday I for one would be going nowhere near it. It's a fairly reckless business decision as much as anything else to get your whole workforce together right now and fill them with booze. 

Session yesterday of 4min at 6mm and 2min at 7mm. Came out 6 16 average, legs were still pretty heavy ftom Sunday. The return of the mlr today with an easy 10m. 

Off for my booster shortly. Things are beginning to feel very much like last December! 
  • My company have finally seen sense and I am working from home from now until at least 7 January. I'm still miffed about the 26 hours I've spent in the building unnecessarily since the government announcement though of course. 

Jools, my enforced break in 2020 did me the world of good, as you know. Maybe just focus on something else entirely for a while?