Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Nice to see you back RFJ!

Schedule started today for me too. 4 miles easy. Or maybe that should be S.L.O.W. Clearly rolling out of bed and going straight out of the door with no breakfast just doesn't work for me. Avg pace was 9.29s! image Admittedly the conditions underfoot were a little more difficult than on Friday when I last trudged those same paths, but still.....

Then I braved the sales. Start Fitness did not have the XC spikes in stock that I wanted to try on, so I've just ordered them online and will just have to pray they fit. Trip to town cost £3.40 in bus fare, I spent £4.95 on food and drink, and all of £3 on stuff from the sales. And that wasn't even for me. However I then went to my local shops and got a new pair of track pants for going to and from training (much needed in this weather!) and some new shoes for work. 

• Options
    PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    Great to see you on here, RFJ - I really hope you get back that fitness and have a great marathon this year. Pity you're not closer for me to do some long runs with you again.

Hope your hip/ back thing clears soon, Kittenkat - I sympathise. No running for me since early last week and waiting to hear back from the docs about xray results/ sports injury referral. Lots of stretching in the meantime as I'm convinced it's muscular, not bone-related.

Still reading with interest.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Pipes - its not to far for the odd long run, I can be up there in an hour, but most my long runs are SLOW in that will be about 75 secs over MP pm. -Good to see you in here too.

The conditions here are much better with a good thaw taking place, managed a complete run without stepping in ice......

CC2 - I cannot get out of bed and run...... must have something in me food wise and a good hour to let the joints sort themselves out......

With my job being saved (now covering the country as a single trainer for my orgainastion) will be fun as will spend a lot of time on the road) esp in Nottingham so means I will be using the Beeston Canal a lot and the Trent pathways, at least its flat there.......

Take care

• Options
    PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    Good to hear about your job, RFJ. BTW, I'm a slow long runner too - about 75 secs over MP for me too. May have to organise something, if I get back to running in time.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Just give me a shout on here or via Fmail when you are ready.
  • Options
    RFJ, I use the Nottingham/Beeston canal for a lot of my long runs, usually run at 8.20 - 8.30 pace. Let me know if you're in the area at a weekend!
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    CC2 - will always be during the week as only ever work night shift at weekend assessing.... weekdays is training - about once to twice a month will be up tues - Fri.
  • Options

Ah, that's a shame. During the week I work out in Kirkby and train in Arnold. Although actually, some of the Intervals sessions I do with Notts AC on Tuesday nights are in that area. We do mile efforts from Trent Bridge some weeks and from Wilford Bridge some other weeks.  In January we'll be at Wilford on the 4th and Trent Bridge on the 25th.

Woke up to heavy rain. On top of the snow and slush. Today's run is going to be mucky!

• Options

Eyup dudes, thought I'd hop on board. Not quite up to sub 3.15 yet I don't think - McMillan predicts 3.17, my PB is 3.29 FLM 2009 (with minimal running and mucho spinning classes due to injury) and have worked out my training paces for a 3.20 mara, but miracles do happen I guess!

Started training a couple of weeks ago - using the P&D up to 55 miles per week schedule. Love road cycling so do quite a bit of that when the weather's good, otherwise tend to x-train on my turbo. Though not this week as I'm busy eating mince pies and drinking gin.

I'm in Sheffield though do visit Notts occasionally and have cycled along the canal - just as far as the first cake stop though.

Anyway - hi everyone - I'll keep an eye on the thread to become acquainted and see what folk are up to.

• Options
    Ooh - CC2 - just clicked on your profile - I have a mate who works for Notts City council - with a bit of luck you'll be getting a parkrun there soonish so that'll be your sub 20 5k sorted! One of my targets this year is to get on the Sheffield Parkrun sub 20 list. Our parkrun is a tad hilly though with a bloody awul dog leg where you completely lose your pace. Not exactly compatible with mara training either!
  • Options

Morning all

I've not read back from Christmas Eve yet, but delighted to see RFJ's post at the top of the page.

Very cautiously getting back running again - 3M on Christmas Day; 6M Boxing Day, 4M yesterday and (when my Garmin has charged up...) 8 planned for today.  Pace leaves a lot to be desired, although it was snowy and icy in Reading over Xmas, which made me extra cautious.  I shall see how I fare on the frost free pavements of Bristol in a while!

Hope that everyone had lovely Christmases.

Hugs to the Bench!

• Options

RFJ Welcome again. Great news about the injury and the job.

Mozzy Welcome onboard. We have a wide range of times on here and all are welcome. I am also following the P&D <55 schedule.

KR  Hope the knee and arm injuries are healing well.

Joolska Hopefully you are finally over the worse.

6m recoery for me yesterday, whilst the pace was spot on the HR was HIGH, the preious days excess and the flu finally got the better of me. Popping lots of tablets and eating anything with vitamin C. Today is now a rest day.  Hopefully up for a mid long tomorrow.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Thanks Jools and Scooby

Welcome Mozzy

CC2 - I will be in Beeston on 5th and 6th so will be doing a 10m progressive and an 8m steady on those 2 night nights on the canal / trent paths

12.5m and a nice new blister.... raining hard here overnight and many puddles to cross.... stepped fully in one and picked up loads of grit and stuff early on in my run.... never mind... onwards and upwards, feel so good to be back running good milage again.

Take care

• Options

Mozzy - welcome and thanks for the Parkrun info!

Jools - nice to see you back out there. 

RFJ - don't forget your headtorch!

Today was supposed to be 8 miles, had to cut it short to 6.73 as I fell twice on ice and slush. I even tried Gul style field running, but it was too boggy so I gave up. I'm trying to source a treadmill for tomorrow!

• Options

I sympathise with you Speedy, it p*ssed it down here last night as well and conditions must be similar to yours. 

A very slow slushy slippery 17m this morning for me, you couldn't tell if you were going to put your foot in slush or on a compacted sheet of ice with a pool of water on the top until you made contact with it.  Feet were soaking wet after 2 miles and needless to say there were many o'feck moments (20+) but I managed to keep upright due to the very slow pace av 9:10mm, by 9 miles it had started drizzling again making it even worse underfoot.  Couldn't go any faster or I'd have been on my ass.

Agree with AC about Boxing Day, it was unbelievably cold out there, being hatless thought my ears were going to fall off, & Percy had well and truly retreated into his shell. 9m in that temperature makes Percy very shy image.

Nice to see you back fighting fit RFJ, and Jools stepping off the lurgy bench.

Keep it up Scoobs, and welcome Mozzy.

Speedy recovery to the benched and lurgied.

• Options

Hello Mozzy - more the merrier. Good luck with things

Sounds like the bounce is well and truly returning to your step  RFJ. The return to some semblance of normality after illness/injury/whatever is great isn't it.

16 for me this aft at 7.35 pace. Had fully intended to run slooooow at about 8.00 or slower. Need to get more disciplined with myself. Grey and slushy here too - classic British weather

Interested to hear you have a "shell" for Percy Windy, does he resemble a snail in any other unique features ??

• Options

12 miles for me after work this afo, joy of joy -  all the ice/snow has gone so it was great to get out with normal shoes on. 1 miles w/u then 11 steady 7:03 avg.  Welcome Mozzy  and welcome back RFJ good to hear things working out for you.  Nice long ones for Windy/Fraser  in the slush/ice and not so nice  ones for KR/Speedy  with their tumbles.  Get well soon to all the sickies, I have n't caught anything yet, work was a mare today so many sick people about who seemed hell bent on sharing their germs.

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

I'm not sure we want to hear any more about the snail like characteristics of Windy's Percyimage

Welcome back RFJ - here's wishing you better luck than last year.  And welcome Mozzy - a McMillan prediction is fine with usimage

Good to see the benched slowly returning and some good runs being bagged by Fraser, Windy, Speedy, RFJ, Scooby and Jools in challenging conditions.  Only fog to contend with here as I was country road running.  Perhaps ninja-style black was not the best choice for the conditions but it does keep you alert and amuse the oncoming 4x4simage  10 miles general aerobic with ten sets of 100m strides.  I've missed the scheduled stride sessions from the last few weeks so it was good to nail them tonightimage

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

x-post - Nice steady miles there Barry - that sounds like potential MPimage  Keep those germs at bayimage

• Options
    Fraser Wells wrote (see)

does he resemble a snail in any other unique features ??

He doesn't see very well.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Windy wrote (see)
    Fraser Wells wrote (see)

does he resemble a snail in any other unique features ??

He doesn't see very well.
    Let's hope your SOH is not Frenchimage
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Eye, eye! - Do you feed it lettuce or pour on salt Windy?

Made the most of wifey permission and feeling wellness to bag a hilly 18 miler at 8.20 pace. Tired at the end, especially the thighs, similar to the 20 mile mark at the marathon. Probably not the best idea to do this run after the 12 miler yesterday, but off to family tonight and unlikely to be able to get more than a few shorter runs in at best.

Will also be off line for a few days, so: Behave, happy running and have a good new yrs everyone! image

• Options

Just a quick de-lurk to report that I made it no problem to England, and had a very nice Christmas thank you very much!

Surprised at just how snowy and icy it still was in Surrey, and that is my excuse for not having run at all sice Christmas Eve, in Spain. I think I'd better drag myself out tomorrow morning,though, because I've been eating everybody out of house and home.The streets of Bromley await, then!

Enjoy yourselves!

• Options

Glad to hear you made it Ant.

Fellas, do you all name your bits or is that just Windy (Percy) and my ex (George)? I find it odd, 'cos none of me has a name other than it's actual descriptor, or perhaps a slang version thereof. 

I've acquired myself a free pass to DW fitness for tomorrow. 12 miles on the treadmill await me. Oh joy. I've never run that far on a treadmill. I fear it may be in kilometres as well, so that's, er, a bit less than 20km at 11.2 kph I think. Is that about 7mph or 8.34 pace? 

• Options

Speedy, it is said in jest after the saying "Pointing Percy at the Porcelain" (origin unknown, and I can't be arsed googling it).  Now your ex calling his George, that's just weird. image

Barry, nice MP outing.
    Keir - o' to be able to run that quick without falling AOT.
    SBD, I hear ninja-black is very slimming.
    AvO, Enjoy the pavements of Bromley

• Options
    Seen Better Days wrote (see)

Welcome back RFJ - here's wishing you better luck than last year.  And welcome Mozzy - a McMillan prediction is fine with usimage

Even with McMillan I'm  tad slow for you guys - but I like to step up to a challenge so here I am!

Thanks for the welcome guys. I live on the fringes of the peaks so the snow and ice has really buggered up my running - total empathy with all you treadmill dudes - what a pain - had a 13 miler last week with 8 miles @ mara pace - no chance outside so ran to the gym - did my mara pace bit on the dreaded tready then ran home - couldn't believe how hard it was to run 'properly' after 8 miles on the tready - I was hopping up and down like tigger - no forward thrust at all (it's been mentioned before to be fair).

Anyway - X-training day for me today so an hours intervals on my turbo - doing loads of 20 sec full pelt reps to try and build my anaerobic capacity, which is quite frankly, quite shit. Not that it'll matter for a mara but it does for my parkrun target!

Do most of the folk on here have a local parkrun? We've had them in Sheffield since March - only managed 3 but I think they're absolutely brilliant! Though as an old bird it takes me a good 20 minutes to warm up so I'm not exactly suited to them.

Nottingham/midlands/northish dudes - Dronfield and Lincoln 10k fall on good dates for tune up races - anyone entered?

• Options

Dronfield is the 20th March I believe, and I'm running Stafford HM that day. I do fancy Lincoln, but it's on April 3rd and I think that's too close to the big day to be racing. So I'm sticking with Rushcliffe on March 6th.

Actually, I must get around to actually entering that. After pay day!

• Options

Delurks to say hello to Mozzy as a fellow Sheffield resident.

I've only done the Parkrun once and it was when we got the first dump of snow so just a handful of us. I met some lovely ladies - was one of them you Mozzy?

• Options

Eyup caterpillar girl! I didn't run that day, but some of the lasses did - were they our lot ? If you're local would be great to meet up! Loads of other Sheffield folk here. (generaly they're ok but you may wanna give some of them a wide berth! image)

CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

Dronfield is the 20th March I believe, and I'm running Stafford HM that day. I do fancy Lincoln, but it's on April 3rd and I think that's too close to the big day to be racing. So I'm sticking with Rushcliffe on March 6th.

Actually, I must get around to actually entering that. After pay day!

Aye - Lincoln is 3rd April - according to my schedule I need to be racing that day image. Though will be taking it easy as it's my friends (59th) birthday weekend so we're doing it as a bit of a boozy 'away day'!