Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Blimey, Noakes is hard work after 3 glasses of wine image
  • Options

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1368.snc4/164053_481642608357_690848357_5900673_2690429_n.jpg

The pic might not be up to AfE standards, but he might recognise the venue. As should Poacher and Minni if they can imagine it sans snow. 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ha Ha, that does look familiar Speedy! 

I can't believe the Park Runs were still on today.  Well done on 2nd Lady!

• Options
    I'm pretty sure I missed this ongoing hat joke.

Hope you all had a good day folks.
  • Options
    Race Jase wrote (see)
    I'm pretty sure I missed this ongoing hat joke.
    Just don't buy anything from MM on eBay then!
  • Options
    Well done Speedy and BOTF on the park runs.

Just back from 7miles-so cold my eyes were watering all the way around.

Back to another day of merrymaking now.
  • Options

Scooby - Good long one on Christmas Eve.

Nice Xmas days runs from Speedy,  BOTF and Windy.

Back on it this morning after yesterdays festivities, know what you mean AC  first couple of miles were a real shock to the sysytem.  Ran down to the local lake(very pretty in the ice/snow) and did 9 laps and ran home, lots of dog walkers out and a few runners.  Still a bit dodgy underfoot so had to wear my trail trainers, 20.33 miles in 2:41 avg 7:57 which I was happy with given conditions, Afternoon to be spent chillin, unfortunately got work tomorrow and Tuesday. 

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Impressive comitment there Barry.   Is that the last long one?  It must be very difficult to be peaking over Christmas but it seems like you've put down some really good training.   What kind of shape do you feel you're in?

That's a bit early for a boxing day run ACimage

Well done everyone that's managed to get out running over the last two days.  Huge run there from Scooby on Christmas eveimage

17 miles for me this morning.  Felt very tough, so it was all about getting the miles in, although I saved enough energy for a 6:50 m/m last mile.  Now where did those mince pies goimage

• Options
    Seems tomorrow's 10k race in Maidstone is postponed unttl Sunday. Quote from the official website:
    "Race postponed until Sunday 2nd -i have just inspected the course and as expected about 30% of the tarmac is still covered by ice . However , the forcast is for temperatures to rise this week and continue the thaw . i will monitor the course and keep this site updated , hope to see everyone on Sunday"

I'm back in Oslo then so won't be able to compete. Will have to leave it to Poacher and Keir to battle it out for thread bragging rights image Hoping to get out for a run later this afternoon. Very impressed with distances logged already today.
  • Options
    SBD - Good mileage logged.  I feel OK but its all on the day as we all know, no major injury concerns, left achilles still tight -  but used to that. With 4 weeks to go I am planning one more long one next weekend. Hoping the ice will go so I can do some MP work on the roads rather than treadie.
  • Options
    Hope you all had a good chrimble!

P & D had me down for 13 miles today (with 8 @ PMP), so I made that into a Treadmill Half Marathon,, which I did in 1:39 including the prescribed 8 @ 7:20, felt comfortable for December.

Now for more turkey and beer. Nice.

• Options
    Good effort Steve, SBD and Barry...

To give you and idea of how cold it was the thermometer in the garden said minus 7 when I got back....although I didn't need a thermometer to tell me that. After 20mins on my run I started to feel a certain chilly numbness in the trouser department - worried about frostbite I ended up having to stuff one of my gloves down my shorts for additional insulation. I'm not sure if any of the passers by worked out the correlation between my gigantic package and the fact I only had a glove on one hand but I got some very interesting looks from the ladeez...
  • Options

Well the 10k tomorrow is off, shame as it would have been a guaranteed PB over a new distance.  Got in 8m y'day and another 8 today but it's still pretty treacherous in this bit of Kent (over nr 7oaks)

Some v dedicated LRs going on, and CC's pic just about sums up winter running. There is something wholesome about running while everyone else is shopping/buying stuff they don't really need/eating and drinking to excess.  Or maybe it's just smug.  image

Seriously thinking about trying to use a training plan for the first time.....might have to bite the P&D bullet but not convinced they have enough "proper" LRs.  Lorenzo - obviously preparing for and doing a 50m race doesn't fit it in with any known training plan...the biggest issue with ultras is usually the extended recovery time which could make mincemeat of any rigid schedule - how do you try to square that circle?  

• Options

Festive greetings one and all !

Looks like some good sessions still being put in there inspite of weather/relatives/food etc etc

Loved your little cock-rot prevention anecdote AC ! You could maybe try a similar trick in the pubs and clubs over the New Year period if you're out and about

I did an easy 4 (outside !!) in the Santa hat yetserday - never been honked at so many times in my life- and (with the man flu finally lifting) managed a decent session at last today on the mill. 11 including 7 @MP. Makes you realise how much you take good health for granted when you get some viral pathetic-ness and then the relief when it clears up eh !

• Options

AC  Maybe they thought we doing a Michael jackson impression?

Barry Impressive 20 miler

SBD  Some good miles

Steve Nice tread HM

FW the bad times(illness) are there so we enjoy the good times more.

As I am in training I have no beer in the house, hence I managed to down 3 bottles of red wine yesterday along with a few other drinks, fortunately I had eaten so much I didn't feel to bad today. Another rest day today, looking forward to a gentle 6 tomorrow.

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Glad your better FW. I'm sitting here, typing with 1 hand, head resting on the other, feeling knackered and ill, still. At least the 10k has been cancelled so I can suffer without too much guilt tomorrow. However 1 whole week of illness and only 5 miles run, makes me feel worse. Having to be careful with eating as well as pounds are pileing on a bit too quickly.

I've been reading Born to Run. Reminds me in style a bit of Kerouac's On the Road, or maybe Kool Aid Acid test by Tom Woolfe. But enjoyable and is inspiring me to want to get out and join you all in the 20 miler + club. Some great runs and a lovely pic Speedy.

Nice story about the Michael Jackson 1 glove look AC.  But didn't your hand get cold? To keep all 'fingers' warm, I would have probably ran with the gloved hand down the front of my pants instead.

RJ - MMs hat story dates back to Feb or March and was previously known as 'poo-gate'. The motto of the story was carry a little Andrex on your long runs, or prepare to get a cold head.

Windy - Don't pretend that you are cool enough to have any music on you PC that your daughter actually wants to have on her new ipod. image

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Good Christmas day runs, Speedy, BOTF and Windy. I would have loved a run yesterday but was busy with the lunch and childcare.

Some nice long runs posted by SBD and Barry. Are you both feeling confident about your forthcoming races? I can only imagine what it must feel like to be so far into the race preparations and nearly having attained your goal!

Sorry to hear the 10K has been cancelled, in particular as OsloNeil will be gone by the time it is rescheduled. Neil - could you race your own 10K and let us know the outcome?

I did my scheduled 13 miles with 8 miles at MRP today although it turned out to be 14 miles and not much race pace as it was so icy that when I began to (try to) speed up after my warm up 4 miles I found myself slipping and my right calf threatened to ping. So I stopped briefly and stretched before deciding to just run a steady pace instead. I am not sure what my run achieved therefore but I ended up doing 14 miles at an average pace of 8.03 m/m.
    The run got me thinking about race psychology as I did 4 laps of a 3.5 mile circuit from the inlaws' house. Do you tend to think of the marathon as 26.2 miles or 2 x 13.1 miles or possibly 4 x 10K plus a bit (the latter being Paula Radcliffe's approach)? And which do you think is "better" in terms of positive thinking with the least downsides to it eg I imagine 26.2 x 1 miles is possibly the worst approach but we often think of mike splits so how do you reconcile that with the overall race length?

Get well soon, Fraser!
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I mean mile splits!
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

And you probably don't mean Fraser!

A 20 miler with a 10k on the end worked for me quite well, although I certainly paid attention to my 13.1 split time as well.

• Options
    Yup, 20 mile warm up with a 10k race on the end.
  • Options
    I kind of like to break it down into 5 miles, 5 more, get to half, get to 20 miles then balls out....if possible
  • Options
    Fraser, you'd be better to keep them in. Aerodynamic drag 'n' all that.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Speedy - am chuckling at your comment!
  • Options

Just 5 light miles today - conditions underfoot far from ideal, but I ran over to join Mrs L and younger Lorenzito for the "work off the Xmas meal" run with the running club.

However am feeling a bit under the weather at the mo - hoping to get a decent night's sleep and wake up tomorrow feeling refreshed and raring to go. Think I'll take tomorrow off just to be on the safe side.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Keir - yes, meant you not Fraser! And now it would seem Lorenzo. Immerse yourselves in the cricket perhaps? Dare I say England are doing quite well?! Stay healthy everyone.
  • Options

Merry belated Xmas to everyone. Been offline for a few days and just catching up.
    Park run, on Xmas day, in the snow - not one for PB's, but well done oon 2nd lady Speedy!

Just finished my first week of mara training and got up to 41 miles for the week. Was hoping to do 14 last night but only did 11 as I was running to the inlaws and only had an hour and a half “window” to fit a LSR in, so I didn't want to take the p155.

The ice is stiil quite bad here and I managed to fall over TWICE on Xmas eve. FIrst time I was putting in a couple of mara pace miles at the ned of my run and slipped & fell landing on my arm. It was the same arm I fractured my wrist a couple of years ago (now held together with a plate & pins and lovely 5“ scar) so I feared the worse. Luckily I had only cut my arm. If this was not a warning to me to slow down, 2 minutes later I was doing a forward combat roll onto the side of the road. With a bruised hip, a hole in my left knee of my leggings and a bleeding knee, I managed to hobble back home.

Last night, surfice to say, I was a bit more careful of the camber on the pavements and those “shiney” bits of the pavement. Lesson learnt!

Hope you're all enjoying the break from work, not running!

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Glad to hear that no 'arm was done, after your falls KR.

Thanks for the get well wishes MsE. Woke up afgter another 10 hr sleep last night, realising that I was finally breathing through my nose. Decided to make the most of this recovery with a gentle 12 miler at 8.35 m/m pace. Lovely to be back easy running again and felt fairly fresh on return home. As I am not sure if Osloneil or Poacher are still in this neck of the woods, I have decided to pass the lurgey to my nearest neighbour - Lorenzo.  

• Options
    Was planning a long one this morning, but had a severe attack of CBA and stayed in bed until Noon. Right choice I feel image
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

OK, im back in and now around 90-95% fit and have a nice base behind me.... afetr a crap year with 2 achilles injuries(1 on each side) and the hernia op.... Physio has given me the all clear and discharged me from NHS care as he has seen the increase in my base build up without ill efects.

16 week plan started today.... a nice steady 6.5m, will be working of the plan that got me 3:13:46 2 years ago with a few tweaks here and there. Will be starting off on 5 days with 1 day X Trg, then if the body allows me will up to 6 plus 1 day X Trg. Mostly on the priciple of  Train slow - race fast, which I know works for me, my speed work will come from Progressive runs / Tempo Runs once a week and a parkrun or race once a week. (Mainly the Park runs) but where I will be racing for my club, the parkrun will be done slowly and incorportated into a long run.... to leave the racing legs for the race)....

The hardest thing will be keeping up with all your posts on hereimage

Take care all