Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Moof- yes I followed the full 3 week PD taper which in some people's eyes seems a little on the heavy side. I am in the same camp as JD3 about having a schedule to follow and sticking to it. I don't have the experience to tinker with it.

AR- the PD 55 to 79 just about fitted in with my lifestyle and I quite enjoyed its challenges. There were only a few occasions when I really felt very tired and questioned why I was doing a particular run. One such occasion was towards the end of a 22 on a Sunday when I had done a hard tempo run (7 at half pace) on the Friday and a 7 recovery on the Saturday night. I hit the wall after 20 miles and jogged/ walked the last 2 miles. That was my lowest point and I had doubts at that stage. I plan to do another Marathon on April 6th and will use PD again.

I treated myself today to a shiny new Garmin 610 to replace my 410 which my mate is having for a song. I promised myself this little treat at beginning of 18 weeks back at end of June. Very swanky piece of kit. Used it for 6 recovery tonight and very pleased.
  • Options
    moof wrote (see)
    foam roller. 40 and 60 quid! No chance I'm paying that. Can anyone recommend a decent one from t'internet.

I bought this one last Christmas ( Igvae you my heart etc) £15 with delivery

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3gFit-EVA-Foam-Roller-Blue/dp/B005QQQZ0C/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1351278061&sr=1-2

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Moof - whilst you are looking around for a roller, you can always use a 2L bottle of coke*. Open it first, just to take out a slight bit of pressure, do the lid up again (tight) and roller away. When finished, drink the contents.

*Other cola flavour drinks work equally well.

• Options
    Or fill it with water, freeze it and get ice and massage at the time.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I'll miss seeing you there Poacher. I'm sure there'll be a special presentation to Jim at the end for his 200th marathon success.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

8 miles in hale stones this evening- now that is dedication.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

What a cracking result for you, WinningSal!  Top effort and a lovely shiny new PB.  The splits look nice!

• Options

Been in Holland since last week, so no internet or TV! and just catching up on all the fantastic runs. Where to begin?? Tried to enter the Amsterdam Half but it was full, so no joy. Didn;t realise it was the same weekend we were there - maybe next year!

AWESOME Poacher!!! 2.57 at your age after 31 marathons! What took you so long!

Fantastic result Sal F. I think when the pressure is off on a time, combined with a good block of training a lot can happen - and it did. Super Sal does it again! Did you have a good supply of Red Bull?! image

Fraser, big well done to you sir, I know the sub 3 has been a long time coming and feeling ok on the day plus all the goooood training has paid divindends - so pleased you got it!

Also ran - WOW a sub 3 mara PB! after a 3.04 debut 2 weeks ago! I hate heavy breathers - so off putting, makes you run quicker to convince yourelf you ain't in the same heavy breather league too! Enjoy fixing yourself!

Bike It - a 9 minute PB, get in there! Awesome run in ideal conditions, wish I'd been there too!

Dylan Man - Brilliant time and position on what is a very tough course. 2 lappers are mentally tough when there are hills and you know what to expect 2nd time round especially whne your legs are knackered! And considering that was your first mara an awseome time when it's hard to judge pace etc. What you got planned next year?

Keir - Please you got a good result in your dualathon. Got a bit of a case of CNBA at the moment with nothing to focus on till end of April.

Lorenzo - 3200m of ascent (and descent) - not suprised it felt tough! That's a proper amount of climb, lactic acid is a bummer at the end!

Nice 10k time efc

Went out tonight for my 3rd run in 2 weeks! It's great not to have an A race to focus on (for the moment)! Rather enjoyed recovering from GER and going on holiday with no pressure to go out for a run... Made me think about what's next though!

To all the sub 3.15 aspirants/lurkers, don't be put off by the recet times posted on here!

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Ta for the roller info. I'm going to give that 2L bottle a go first. Just as soon as my inevitable hangover subsides. (Hic)
  • Options

Apologies for the flying visit. Busy trying to get ready for an early start tomorrow for a canal holiday in Wales.
    Good luck to Minni in the Town Moor Mara and anyone else racing this weekened.
    Did 11 slow miles this morning to round off the week; 39M in total image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good luck Minni- we've got a white out in town with hale stones. Hope it clears up for tomorrow. Either way the ground will be very wet and soggy on the grassy bits.

I'll volunteer at the parkrun today, better wrap upimage

• Options

Congratulations Sal on a fantastic race and a great PB. just shows that often we (I) get so stressed out with numbers and targets it stops us (me) from fulfilling our (my) potential. Running with the pressure of is deffo the way to go. Those splits make great reading - hardly any drop-off at all. Well done.

PMJ - Yes, I listened to the interview with Jocelyn and thought the same as you - for a 23-y-o, that was a lot of long and really hard miles. 100+ miles a week and some monster reps and speed sessions. I would want sub 2:40 off that.

Poacher - What a result for you with the Garmin. Can't wait for mine to pack up, now.

Keir - Nice squeeze-in.

Good luck Minni!!

SJ - Fingers crossed for you.

I've had a funny week where through having to substitute ill colleagues at work I've missed a couple of planned sessions. I was promising myself a couple of good, solid runs this w/e to make up for it but I have to work this morning, too, and (and here's the good bit) I've decided to sack this morning's 7-miler as the weather is absolutely  atrocious out there: torrential (and I mean torrential) rain and gale-force winds. It's CNBA really, but with no races coming up I refuse to worry about it...

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Consider it an impromptu end of season break, Ant.  I'll end up with only 5 runs this week including the Great South because of work.  Off to marshall at the runBristol 10k soonish.  Beautiful sunny but cold day for it, so better go and make a flask of coffee!

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Humph. Metal barrier fell on my foot/ankle when I was marshalling at this morning's 10k. Chances of starting Great South Run tomorrow morning: 50/50. Chances of finishing if I start: 50/50. #notmyyearforAraces

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Bloody freezing and blowing a gale. 6 steady miles for me this morning, good for a hangover.

Maybe its because I'm a southern softie and a bit 'nesh' but I'll be hunting for my tights and gloves before tomorrows long run.

Good luck Minni, hope the wind drops a bit.

Sorry to hear that Joolska. Hope you get to the start line. (And finish)
  • Options
    Oh no Jools. That hardly seems fair when you are putting something back in by marshalling. Hope it recovers in time
  • Options
    Good luck Mini, hope the weathers kind! Glad I did marathon last weekend as it was balmy last Sunday compared with today. Winter is here. Going to put my kit on the radiator tonight for my 6am 10 miler in the morning! Gloves and beanie located from back of running kit drawer!

Oh no Joolska that is a cruel fate when marshalling as well. Hopefully it is not too bad and a nights rest will sort it.
  • Options

Dylan - I actually look forward to getting out the winter running gear. Getting out first thing when it's biting cold but you're adequately dressed for the conditions is one of the pleasures of this running lark.

Jools - Ouch. How is it now? Will you be able to run?

Minni - Hope the weather is kind to you tomorrow. 

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Little bit of bruising and swelling coming through so not looking very positive, but I'll take a decision in the morning.  Fingers crossed...

• Options
    Yes Ant agreed! I've arranged to meet up with a buddy at an agreed location/time on route, so no turning over when the alarm goes! I find this a good way to make sure I get out there as I'm not the best morning person and there's no way I'd let him down. image
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Bad luck Joolska- maybe see how it feels if you do a few strides?

planning 16 again tomorrow subject to the weather

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OO get yourself over to the town moor for 3 laps.image
  • Options

Good luck for the Town Moors Minni - hoep the weather is okay for you.

Good luck for GSR tomorrow Jools, barrier or no barrier hop the 50/50 becomes 100%

Ant - know what you mean about the CNBA fairy - been battling with it for 2 weeks as I have no immediate target so just goiung out to keep the legs ticking over.

5 miles tonight in 32.27 so just about ticking over.

• Options

KR - 5 miles in 32.27 is not ticking over, it's purring nicely.

Have done a weather check for our Girl Racers and it looks o.k. in both Newcastle and Pompey. A bit nippy, but nothing to bother anyone but the nesh-est.

Let's see if I can get myself out of the door...

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Any other berks get up at stupidoclock and go for a long run?......

Only me then. image

bloody clocks!
  • Options
    I was out at 6.15am for a leisurely 10 miler a week after Marathon! Cold and wet but enjoyable nevertheless. image
  • Options

Nice one Moof - I had a lovely lie in this morning!!

How did you get on today Ant?

Any race reports yet?

8.5 quite hilly miles yesterday and planning on about 10 tomorrow as I've got a later start than normal.

• Options
    Brief race report!

Preston is hilly!

Decided that my excellent tapering deserved a crack at a sub 3 so ran to feel and felt good, first mile was a bit quick but reigned it in and just ticked along using other folks as windbreaks as and when I could. Got to halfway in 1:29:0x and feeling good, ticked along for another half mile or so and got a sodding stitch - urghh. Tried to shake it but it ground to a halt after a few hundred metres and had to stop for 2 or3 minutes. Decided to just aim for 7:30s to still come in in a decent time but the stitch kept returning forcing me to run at a slower and slower pace. Foot was holding out but then got repeated bouts of cramp in both hamstrings and both calves which was fun and forced stretching stops and walking breaks.

This went on for a while! Finally worked out the ideal pace to avoid recramping (super slow) and jogged in the last 3.5 miles to clock up a 3:55 finish.

Weather was a bit bleak, the first half was mostly into a head wind (yay) so couldn't really take any advantage of the tailwind home. Support was sparse in large parts but I really enjoyed the interaction with the clusters of supporters. Excellent finish in the city centre which was nice.

Legs seized up pretty badly after I'd grabbed my bag - to the extent that another runner offered to put my trousers on for me after watching me struggle with cramping feet, calves, thighs, hamstrings and shoulders for 10minutes. I declined his kind offer. It's never that badimage

Foot is sore now! Bit of rest and alcohol binge (medicinal) is called for methinks!

As you were
  • Options
    PS moral of the story - not running a step in 4 weeks before a marathon doesn't work - take note
  • Options

Oh dear. At least you learned from your mistake SJ! I started my alcohol binge on Friday night - went to a gig then a couple of bars. And on Wednesday I'm off to Whitby for a week of drinking alcohol and eating rubbish. I'm not looking forward to attempting running when I get back. 

Minni has posted on facebook and she did good! That is soooo not an easy course.