Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

There are no secrets OO image

Basically viral infection led to 2 days off work and 7 days missed running.  I did an hour on the turbo on Wednesday night then 5 mile on the treadmill on Thursday.  I was still coughing quite a bit - roughly once every K.  Friday night I did 6 with strides outside and the coughing was reduced a bout every mile, the strides didn't seem to make it worse although there was lots of spitting going on. image

Really racing 5 miles feeling like that was not ideal but I was still keen to do it , however I can't emphasis enough how much I hate anything under HM. image Recently I've been struggling a bit with the tempo runs on my own so I have decided that I need to take every chance of doing shorter races, even if they are not at race pace.   Saying that there's not much difference between my 5k, 10k & HM pace anyway. image

So I decided to do it anyway and what ever the outcome it would be 5m at a greater effort than I'd put in myself.   The race is 3 laps of the ambulance track at Newcastle racecourse, a bit narrow in places and icy when I warmed up. 

The creme de la creme of North East runners had turned out.  Scantly dressed, 5 stone, 20 year olds were everywhere so I respectfully took my place well back.  The field soon spread out and there wasn't an issue with crowding.

I wanted to try and stick to about 7m/m and managed this or under until the last mile.  I was quite pleased to start and pass those who had gone off to quick after about a mile, including some whippersnappers.  I started to feel my chest about 2 miles in but knew if I started to cough I would need to stop until it cleared so just ignored it.  Although it was quite flat the final mile appeared to have a slight incline and felt hard.  The cough was desperate to come out and I started to get that horrible numb feeling. image  The last mile was 7:10.

Finish time 35:11 but I got third L40. image 

I'm really pleased I did it  and sure if I continue with these it will really help.  I also need to lose a stone.....

Thanks for listening. image

• Options
    Nice one Minni! Podium finishimage
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Rain washed out my long run and I chucked the towell in at 13 miles. a humble 30 for the weekimage.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Nice going Minni - gutsy!!! Nice report as well. (I could do with losing the best part of a stone as well!).

Luckily no rain this morning but very strong gales all night and still very gusty this morning so put it off until 9.30am. Did a hilly 16 at 8:15mm average. First 7.25 almost all uphill rising over 700ft and straight into the wind as well. Obviously the elements worked in my favour second half but found it quite hard to get into any sort of rythm. Managed 40 for the week for first time in 8 months!!!

• Options

68 for me this week, ending with a hilly and windy 16 miler. That'll have to do as peak week for the Turkey Trot HM as I haven't got time to run long next weekend. I am feeling decidedly slow and unfit. Can only just manage HM PB pace for 5km and hills are killing me off. If I manage marathon pace I'll be chuffed. I could probably do to lose about half a stone as well, but that's not going to happen in two weeks, especially since next week's long run will be replaced by driving up to Newcastle to take my parents out for Afternoon Tea (sarnies, scones and cakes) for their Golden Wedding.

Well done for getting out there Minni, always nice to put some youngsters in their places image. I got a few myself at parkrun yesterday. The uni rowing club showed up in force and clearly thought they would be at the front of the field. A couple of the young lads were, but the rest of them clearly don't do much running and rowing fitness seemingly does not cross over. They were all dying by half way. 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

DS2 / Speedy as I said previously I am reading Racing Weight and its really interesting.  I've also download the MyFitnessPal app and I am logging everything I eat to see what the breakdown is and where I can make some improvements. Since I started it on Wednesday my calorie breakdown is: 47% carbs, 31% fat and 22% protein.   Fat is spot on but protein is too high and carbs are too low according to what this app states I need.  The carbs are much lower than Racing Weight suggests for my weight. image   Its really making me think about what I am eating and drinking.  I'll probably start adding a Zero tablet to water once a day to help with the carb load.

Does anyone else pay particular attention to their diet?

• Options
    Minni wrote (see)

Does anyone else pay particular attention to their diet?

Not really. Like others, I am heavy at the moment: 5'10" and 154 lbs is 10 lbs over my fighting weight of 144 but I find that when I get up to 50+ miles a week it falls away down to 144 and then I can get it down to 140 for big races. I do find, however, that at 154 I feel better and train better so like to have this over the winter: at 144 or less the wind gets through to the bones.

X-C today: unexpected as I thought the foot was bad but a 3 mile tester on Friday said it was OK for a gentle parkrun on Saturday and that said it was OK for a hard but soft underfoot 5 mile hilly x-c today. Biggest surprise was when a kid shouted out 36 with a mile to go and I thought I was way back in about 100th. One final hill lost me two but gained me one so overall 37th and that is 20 place sup from 57 two weeks ago. My normal is high teens so another 20 places in the next two weeks would be good but unlikely.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    I try to but not very scientifically. When I was younger I could fat and drink anything and it seemed to make no difference. Now though, I really notice if I get careless. I think I may get a copy of that and see if it helps.

Be interested in hearing how you progress Minni.
  • Options

Minni Nice result

Speedy and PMJ Nice weekend racing

15 hilly miles in 2 hours for me. I went out at 10am, as opposed to 8 am and it was much too hot, luckily I had my sunglasses on image. 3 weeks of 40+ for me, deciding if I should have a cut back or longer week next week.

I really should pay more attention to what I eat. I have pasta/potatoes/rice with most meals, so I would imagine my carbs are way too high.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Nice one PMJ.

For anyone with an iPhone that app is very easy to use and record food. There's also a website so you can do it on the computer too. I suspected I didn't eat enough protein but according to this I do. Of course it could be wrong though.
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Nice running PMJ. Looks like you've held things together well. I'm banking on the weight dropping off as well.

Scooby - I found it much warmer than I was expecting and had tights, t-shirt and long sleeve on so sweated a lot on second half. Should help with the weight thing.

I'm definitely easing back a bit this week. Have Asics bootcamp Friday so don't want to go up there tired. Never hurts to put in the odd easier week does it?
  • Options

Minni - there are no carbs in Zero tabs, hence the name!

The weight will fall off in marathon training, I just need to not gain too much over Christmas1

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I guess the ratio breakdown depends on the type of diet focus Minni. From my understanding there is a recent trend towards the Paleo (aka Atkins) diet. Noakes being a convert. From my limited understanding this promotes protein and fat much more than carbs. It is interesting that your app says eat MORE carbs and less protein to lose weight.

I went to the local Uni as part of a study for this runner's degree in August. He measured my % body fat in many different ways - apparently the measurements used were all designed around obsese people rather than fit people and he is trying to find an improved way for those with a low BMI. Anyway, at 5.11 he said at 11st 4 (as opposed to my 11st 0 race weght) I had 7.8% body fat and would be ill regularly if I tried to maintain a lighter weight other than for exceptional times. Made me realise why I used to get loads of colds throughout the season when racing bikes.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Good point Speedy! I best stick to the PSP22. image

Keir - really?  Only 7.8% body fat?  When I did my calculations they were much higher than that, even at race weight.  I bet your guy didn't have any body fat!

How much body fat do others have?

I have my app set to maintain weight rather than lose because I just want to use it to see the breakdown of what I'm eating. 

I tend to only lose 3-4 pounds while marathon training.  image

• Options
    Tried that app Minni - seems I had clocked up 1433cals by breakfast... Just added lunch and tea and am now on to 3300. Oh well, I'm sure my training will catch up eventually...

I'm actually more interested in the ratio and am aiming for 40:30:30 again for this next campaign. I felt really good with the higher protein and lower carbs in the last campaign.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I think the calories are set too low SJ but its an easy way to keep everything in check.  Its a pity you cant individually customize it.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'm just over 12 stone and also lose about 1/4 stone during marathon training. I've eaten far too much today image

Good to see you coming back PMJ

• Options

MFP tells me I only need 1400 calories per day. I tried it in the past and I couldn't stick to the calorie total on rest days. Plus I don't have an iphone so found it really annoying having to log everything in the evening. 

• Options

I've downloaded the app and will start logging things tomorrow morning. I'm only supposed to have 1,830 calories a day. image

3 Molehills run for me this morning - 3 climbs (including the steps up to Box Hill).

With all the rain in the last few days it was rather slippery underfoot on the off road sections but I opted for road shoes rather than trail runners as there was still quite a bit on tarmac / concrete. Turned out to be the right decision as was the one to run in a short sleeved top as the sun was out for most of the run, although it was a bit windy at times.

It was billed as 15 miles, but the Garmin logged it at 14.3 miles. 27th place overall in just over 1:49 which I'll settle for given the hill sections.

• Options
    Don't forget that those calorie targets do not factor in the fuel requirements for 40-70 miles per week of running. Don't go starving yourselves folks. Mmmm now where was that other packet of minstrels?
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

At a little over 90kg I'm not quite currently at racing weightimage   My best marathon time was achieved at a weight of 80kg (height 6ft 1.5) so I may need to shed a few pounds before April 2013image

Managed 10 miles today and 40 miles for the week so hopefully the balance of calories burned versus calories consumed was in my favourimage

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I must admit I was pleasently surprised by 7.8% Minni. I trhink there are many ways of measring it. He used calipers in the usual and some non usual places and a 'bodypod' which I had to sit in wearing only speedos and a swimming cap while it measured my total body volume!

Lorenzo wrote (see)

although it was a bit windy at times.

I think I felt a little breeze here too. 5m out hard - around 9m/m - 5m back easy - around 7m/m! 40m on the bike as a warm down. Makes 51 running miles for the week.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Keir - sounds very familiar windwise. I bet the cycling was interesting?
  • Options

Slokey - it does, you get your exercise calories on top of your base calories. But on a rest day just get the 1400 or whatever your base is. And that was just for maintenance.... 

Blowing a howling gale here this morning too. I can't say I massively enjoyed the run, but at least I had some company. Sadly from a skinny bloke who was no use at all as a windbreak. I need to find some tall fat gits to run with on windy days. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

For marathon preparations next year I can't recommend this more highly

http://www.keswick-ac.org.uk/Buttermere%20Entry%20Form%202013.doc

34km with some serious hills. And only £6 to enter on the day.

• Options
    OO lets go. wrote (see)

For marathon preparations next year I can't recommend this more highly

http://www.keswick-ac.org.uk/Buttermere%20Entry%20Form%202013.doc

34km with some serious hills. And only £6 to enter on the day.

I lke the caveat: Entries limited to experienced Senior Club runners only

That translates to "no fun runners" image

For what it is worth, your body adjusts to food intake. Cut down the calories and it turns the burners down, so the trick is to keep your metabolism high and not just cut down on intake.

• Options

Don't forget Mini, that male body fat % is supposed to be a lot lower than female body fat ,so don't try to compete with the chaps on that one!

After many years of a sedentary lifestyle, I tried and tried to shift some weight. After a lot of flops I ended up on the Harcombe Diet. There were a few core rules to it, but the one good thing was you never counted calories. I shifted 3 1/2 stone on this which I maintained until I started running. Now I've gained a couple of pounds but do eat like a horse. I'm still following the principles of the diet, but suspect I'm not getting enough protein. What is the recommendation if any on protein for runners.

• Options

Has anyone done online Championship entry for London 2013 yet? I think I have applied but have heard nothing back not even a confirmation and am a bit worried that I haven't done it correctly. The contact phone number appears to be in Germany! Sorry if this has already been discussed on here but haven't logged on for ages

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Point taken AR!!

I'll get back to you about the protein when I have more time.