Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Morning all,

Firstly - just caught up and saw the sad news from Gul.  Take care x

Minni - another podium finish can't be bad!

A bit-shit-but-could-have-been-worse performance from me at the Norwich HM yesterday.  Gale force winds meant it was very hard going in places...I just took the decision early on not to fight against the wind too much, and put all thoughts of a quick time out of my head. I even stopped doing the manual laps on my Garmin after half way and didn't check my time again until the end...came in at 1.38.51.  Not what I'd hoped for but that was before the weather gods conspired image

One for DS2 - the Broadland Half is back on the calendar next year - 17 March.

• Options

I was very sorry to read about your dad, Gul.

If anyone wants a gratis race number for the Langdale 10k (16th December at midday), then let me know and I'll put it in the post to you.  Number transfers are permitted on the day but, to quote the Race Director's letter to all entrants, "no iPods, heart monitors or daft Garmins".  I wish this man organised more races.  Obviously, I wouldn't actually run any of them, but at least I'd get to enjoy his letters.  He goes on to say, "Your time is taken from the starting hooter and I don't give a toss what your Garmin says".  Which sounds fair and reasonable.

Meanwhile, in a move which would doubtless give the Langdale man the Vapours, I've resorted to acupuncture in an attempt to aid my 10 month old Achilles problem.  I don't believe for a second that it'll work, but it's nice to lie face down on a bench and listen to New Age music every Wednesday afternoon.

• Options
    For a challenging view on diet, Scott Jurek's book is worth a look (he's a vegan and a great athlete).

Nice podium Minni, TBH a big part of my recent improvement has been facing up to short races and realising that they have a part to play in developing not only speed but mental strength too, made me realise I had lots to learn and needed to HTFU. You can only benefit from going short, keep it up. (Truly vile weather on the coast today, must be horrid up your way too)
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

TAR - excellent post - brought a smile this grey Monday morning  . . .(not smiling at your ongoing achilles issue, though - does it prevent any running at all)?
    Poacher - "made me realise I had lots to learn and needed to HTFU"  - very pertinent here too !  Meanwhile
    Minni - podium placing always good  . . .
    Speedy - great miles for this time of year  . . . .
    Freemers - well toughed out - never easy in  a howling gale  . . .
    OO - 30 mile week here, also - but I'm rather pleased with mine image

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Some great posting on here this morning. Especially liked TAR's - brightened my morning!

Freemers - Good going in the howling gale. It was a relief to only be out on a training run yesterday morning. I didn't envy anyone with a number on. Can't be too disappointed with the time in those conditions. I'll think about that race. Will wait and see if I have any luck with the Asics Target 26.2 first. (Probably unlikely, but I don't want to enter some races now and waste the entry money).

Poacher - weather awful here today, but I'm on a rest day!! Will probably have a gentle spin in the garage tonight followed by some core work. Looks like the week will get brighter, drier and colder. That might be a good thing - I keep wearing the wrong clothes....

As for speed and shorter distances - I feel as slow as anything at the moment but reasonably strong. I will need to do some long interval work soon and get a shorter distance race in to focus on. Like many others on here, it seems!

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Krissy64 - one or two on here might be able to shed some light but might be worth dropping into the Sub 3 thread. There's loads on there on championship starts and they are all really helpful even for one-off visitors that need assistance.

Good luck. What time did you run to be on that start?

• Options

Daft Garmins... and I don't give a toss what your Garmins s - love it TAR! Next thing he'll ban long sleeve tops and you'll have to wear a vest and only shorts.

Had a bit of a carp Parkrun on Saturday - 18.54. Felt like hardwork. The only excuses I have is a head cold and the slippery/flooded surface. Bit disappointed as I thought I was quicker than that at the moment. Looks like I'll be down the track again this week!

• Options

Thanks for that DS2. I will check them out but in the meantime if anyone else on here has any info that would be great.

Ran 3.13 last year which is why I thought I'd check the sub 3.15 thread and not the sub 3!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    TAR - that made me laugh. I've not done the race but been there supporting and it's that kind of event. Bit like the TM marathon where the course map is hand drawn and arrows going in every direction.

Birch - re the podium, it's a perk of being middle age woman. image

Poacher - I'm up in Berwick today and its grimmer than the normal grim. Thanks for the tip on shorter races - keep telling me though to keep me at it. I hate them so much. I wish there was a parkrun around here and that would solve a lot of problems for me.

Krissy - why not phone the number under 'contact us' on the VLM site? That would seem the quickest way to find out.
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Krissy64 - Jools may be your best bet! Jools????

3:13 - respect!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Birch. It's no disaster but I had hope for more miles.

• Options

Hi All,

Sorry to hear your news Gul.

Got out early doors friday and saturday with a 6 and 12 respectively to take me upto 35 for the week- brought sundays lr forward to saturday so really 47. chuffed.

Flooded! Spent the last 24hrs bailing out the cellar and fixing pond overflows and diverting streams - completely soaked through - no run tonight as it is lashing down again but reckon wading knee deep in mud for 12 hours can class as cross training.

82kg and 6ft, reckon my marathon weight is about 4kg lighter.

Well poded Minni

• Options

Sorry, I'm sulking about my still-too-sore-to-train-neck...  Off for another treatment soon.  Am avoiding crossing fingers in case the added tension worsens things image

Krissy: I heard back very quickly about my champs entry.  The contact number on the VLM website is definitely not in Germany: 020 7902 0200

• Options

Thanks for that Jools. Did you get an email? I can log on to the site now anyway and have until 4th Jan to get it sorted. I will give them a ring. TBH found it all rather confusing so best if I phone them up and see what's what! This is what made me think of Germany! When I go through the online registration process there is a contact box and this is the info!

Online-Registration: Mika timing GmbH
      • Address
        Mika timing GmbH
        Kürtener Straße 11b (Strundepark)
        51465 Bergisch Gladbach
        Germany

Phone: +49 (0) 2202 2401-0
        Fax: +49 (0) 2202 2401-29
        Email: info@mikatiming.de
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Blimey Joolska, I'm surprised your neck is still sore- must have been a really violent dream if you did it in your sleep! I ran with a mouth full of stitches on Sunday against the dentists advice- lived to tell the tale though.

You would not believe the amout of rain that has lashed down here today in the North-East. Good excuse to stay home and eat.

Also meant to mention, young OO (daughter number 3) came with me for the first 3 miles on Sunday, and wants to try parkrun next week. Might have finally found a runner among my offspring.  

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Excellent, OO-  I'm pleased my two run and compete

• Options

The troublesome injury doesn't entirely prevent running, Birch, but it certainly limits it.  I've probably averaged about 15mpw for most of this year.  Good luck with your ageing knee.

What a pesky neck, Jools.  I'd recommend some back-clicking sessions with an osteopath.  In my experience, it doesn't do any good at all, but I always enjoy the echoing sounds of a crunching spine. 

Does nobody fancy a Langdale jaunt - Poacher, OO, Minni, Slokey?

• Options

running london next year( cannot wait) but when a go for a run my groin hurts a lot.been to the doctors and then dont know wants up.had tablets for ibs,no good,got a hospital appointment 5th dec to see a better doctor(ha ha).any ideas.  

• Options

SG5

otietis pubis? Could it be this? I hope not for your sake but a friend on another forum has just presented with this for the 2nd time. A dull ache which flows into the lower stomach/groin area. Common in men and can be triggered by running and often associated with imbalance/tightness in hip flexors and/or adductors.

Google it for yourself and go see the Doc again!

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

OO - encouraging news about daughter number 3! Even though my eldest is really sporty she looks at me like I'm mad when I head out in the rain like I did this morning.

A few niggles out there. Wishing good recoveries or at least management of the problems to all.

Jools - I had a sore neck similar to the symptoms you seem to be displaying a few years ago. Came on for no apparent reason and was really sore for a couple of weeks but gradually improved. I went to the quack's and he just told me to take painkillers and run if I could. He told me it would take about 6 weeks for it to go away completely and he was spot on. I was able to run through most of it but it hurt to look over my shoulder. Driving was more troublesome than running. Hopefully it will turn the corner soon.

SG5 - Have you noticed the problem getting worse or is the discomfort level about the same after each run? If it's getting worse I'd be very careful. Only a week or so until you see the good doctor so might be worth being cautious.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

SG5 - Agree with MS. I thought it could be that but couldn't remember the name!!

Hip flexor stretches can really help. I had the start of this problem years ago and the stretches really helped. I still do them religiously now and have had no recurrence.

Good luck!

• Options

Quick Question for DM, and all the other Oct Marathon Runners - 

how's your recovery/ return to training going? I've only just felt a hint of normality in my training in the last couple of days. I think that perhaps my biggest mistake in this marathon cycle was not respecting the recovery required. I was very keen to cash in on half marathon/ 10k pbs in the lee of the marathon, but in retrospect I wish that I had followed the P+D schedule for the post marathon. Lesson Learned.

I hope that your recoveries are all on track.

• Options
    TAR, I'm very tempted - I've run Langdale 10k a couple if times before and we have a decent club contingent heading up there, but not sure what state my foot will be in. I'd hate to take it and then not be able to run and deprive someone else.

If nobody else wants it by the end of next week let me know and then it would be rude not to.... image

JD3, my recovery is going really well. Consists of the occassional spin or swim, lots of lounging around and thousands of (mostly alcohol related) calories. Good training for Christmas!
  • Options

JD3 - slow come back and recovery here as well. Mileage is now starting to creep up into the 30's pw, and I am doing a fair amount of cross training. Managed a run over 10 miles last week.

• Options

Re marathon recovery (after Abingdon).

I have run two XC races and a slow but hilly 10 miles or so twice, otherwise been following the P&D 5 wk recovery program. 

No real problems altho' I did bomb in the 4th km of a parkrun so have to rethink that part of my running, but otherwise feeling pretty good with 38m last week and about 120m for the month.

• Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Hi JD3, recovery from the Mablethorpe marathon has gone well for me, though maybe I didn't challenge my central governor enough in the race!!!

I had two weeks of no running post race and then gradually eased myself back

I did 37m last week and although my long run was only 12M, I did a couple of good sessions in the week (including some 5k paced reps of around 5.50 pace and a 25 min tempo effort within a 65 min run - ave for the 25 mins was 6.21 pace)

XC again at the weekend, so that should be a good test!
  • Options
    Took a day off after Abingdon, did 18m that week, then 32 the next week, now back to 45-50mpw. Recovery becomes far quicker with plenty of maras under the belt.

Nice speed LB, sounds like you are fully recovered

Birch did you say you had knocked off a 30m week? If so that's remarkable considering how close you were to the knife. Really encouraging, you must be chuffed to be back in the saddle.

TAR Langdale is lovely but I'm out thanks,sure there will be a deserving case such as SJ
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    TAR - I'm out. No way I can fit in a jaunt over there at the moment.

Marathon recovery - I think it takes longer the harder you worked on the day. It took me a while to recover from London (although this might have been speedier if I hadn't done Edinburgh a few weeks later) and there's no way I could have run any PBs but I've recovered from Newcastle quickly.
  • Options

Hi, any room at the Inn for a noobie?

Aiming for sub 3.10 VLM 2013( will be my 4th Marathon) and a 20 min pb in the process.

never run more than 35 mile week, tips and advice welcome.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Poacher - yes, a 5, 2 x 6.5's, and a 12.    Does indeed feel good to be back in the saddle, even if mounted on a (hopefully temporarily) decrepit old nag ! 
    Welcome Carbloader - a more detailed resume of your training would be good, then you'll get plenty of good advice on here  . . . .