Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Vote cast, DS2 . . . .

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the votes people - really appreciated!image

I promise I won't be sh!te!

Minni - this is a bit shameless but any chance of you influencing the sub 3:30 thread and for those on Sub 3, could I ask to spread the word on there. Some of them may remember me from 2005 and onwards. I transferred to sub 3;15 when I realised this was more realistic!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

2 days of unplanned rest here, I will have to get out in the snow tonight. Busy at work and have rellies visiting so it looks like another poor running week.

Can somebody remove the questionmarks against me on the list- it's making me nervous...

• Options

DS2 - another vote your way.

I hope that the snow/cold isn't causing too many problems for you all. When I go out for a run later I plan on wrapping up warm enough that should I slip over I just bounce on my layers.

Some very impressive long runs begining to appear this weekend- it's enough to make me feel a bit jealous of you all gettign ready for Marathon training! Planning on my first run over HM distance this weekend since the marathon. Very little to report here, just trying to add in some new routes/hills etc.

• Options

+1 vote for DS2. Good luck.

Nice cameo Ant.

6miles for me last night and a 10 miler planned for the cold and dark later.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Of course DS2! image
  • Options
  • Options

Another vote for DS2. Break a leg.. image

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
  • Options

Vote cast for DS2. Do us proud!

Now I'm really confused.

I went to see an osteopath today. He is convinced I don't need any shoe inserts or orthotics, but what's needed is to correct my hip alignment. He set about doing this and it was pretty grim, with lots of cracks and crunches. The worst part was when he set about my (apparently) gnarled and twisted abductor, which has been pulling on my pubis and causing pain. He used suction cupping massage and it was one of the painful things I've ever experienced. However he assured me it was highly effective in these cases and saved hours of convential massage time.

So apparently I should ditch the shoe insert and stop the ab work I'd been recommended, and just concentrate on obliques til the discomfort has completely ceased.

Only time will tell if he's right (he's very well-renowned in these parts and was very thorough in his examination, something the physios who I'd previously seen and who'd recommended totally different things were not). In any case I see myself with little alternative but to follow his advice as six months on I am still struggling with this most niggling of injuries.

Back for another session on Monday, "normal" running til then.

• Options

Another vote for DS2 (decidely dodgey photo in my opinion)

Ant Hope all the pain is worth it (maybe I am judging DS2 photo by your high standards?)

Badbark As soon as I read your name I was thinking of your other halves undergarments. Welcome back.

5.5 miles slow 9mm bimble tonight. Windy but warm where I am at the moment.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Ant - must be worth a go and something radically different may be what's needed. Good luck.

Interestingly a couple of people at bootcamp hot told to stop wearing orthotics as well.

Scooby - harsh about the photo, but probably fair.

Thanks to both for the votes.
  • Options

Scooby, it's neither windy nor at all warm here. I ran in the warmest part of the day, at +5 and now the frost is kicking in again. Talk about being chuffed though, tonight's run flowed out at 7:30m/m for the 10k and an average HR of 138. Splits and Hr drift was rock solid. I was amazed. I don't deserve to deliver that. Maybe there's a new training plan. Sod everything, just do 20 milers once a fortnight.

• Options
    Ant - bear with the suction stuff, it may work. I had it a while back after ripping a neck muscle (OUCH), it seemed to help.

Badbark - rest assured, your smalls have not been forgotten. Looks like you have good speed, just need to add endurance over the last few miles. Good luck.

DS - vote cast.
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks Poacher!image

Blisters - good going especially with no HR drift. Maybe if I don't get sub 3:15 next spring I'll try that plan!

• Options
    Yes, welcome back Badbark!!

DS2, why were they told to ditch the orthotics (i've worn them for the past 3 years)?
  • Options

Another vote for DS2, also for a female with a similar marathon PB to mine who wants Sub 3, and the bloke who wants to run sub 2.20 for his first marathon and qualify for the commonwealth games. 

Welcome back Badbark, but did you *have* to remind us about the pants?

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Slokey  - not remember, but they did a gait test in neutral shoes and got told they no longer needed them. I'll see if I can message a couple of them and see if they can put more flesh on the bones. They seemed quite surprised and I got the impression they would stick as they were!!! Can't blame them - if it aint broke.....

Thanks Speedy - much appreciated!image He was seriously fast and will be interesting to see if he can convert that speed!

• Options
    DS2 you have my vote too, best of luck.

Badbark. Welcome back.

Bit nippy on my MLR today, will have to dig out my leggings soon.

XC for me on Saturday quite looking forward to the race, would have liked to be in a bit better shape but at least it will give me a kick start into VLM campaign.
  • Options
    ...... and another vote for DS2. You should have stood in the Police Commissioner elections given your ability to get the voters out in force.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I have my own elections to worry about. Staff here vote on the paydeal today.

Anyway another run missed. Hopefully all this rest will help my dodgy hip.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

OO - hope they vote the right way!!

Lorenzo - thanks - much appreciated. Wouldn't be hard to have won one of those votes. I think if you got your deposit returned you probably won!image

Amount of time I've spent on the forums this week if I didn't work for myself I'd sack myself!

• Options

Squash yesterday evening so just a 3 mile recovery run this morning. It was minus 3 degress when I got in the car this morning. but I'm proud to say that I was still out in shorts at 5.30am!!

Good to hear from you again Badbark

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Wow - 5.30 in these conditions. Respect! Shorts as wellimage

• Options

Minni - hope the knee is OK. I would "pause" my watch (i.e. stop and start - nothing as fancy as a Garmin) when delayed by traffic, but not for a fall. Or maybe I'm just not as quick thinking as you!
    Freemers - I seem to remember it was a bit on the breezy side here too on that day. Sounds like you did well in those conditions.
    DS2 - congratulations - I'll be voting for you shortly. You can't beat the first run of the winter in a decent bit of snow, can you? Sorry to hear about your uncle.
    Poacher - sorry to disappoint, but the yellow leggings are still in one piece!
    Birch - good progress. Really pleased for you.
    Ant - watching your video is now on my to do listimage Hope the pain was worth it and the fizz is spot on.
    Lorenzo - nice early run in the mud.
    Badbark - good to hear from you again - good luck with the sub 3 attempt.
    AR - Good running.
    4:45 am in shorts this morning for a very slow 12 miler.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Gul - thanks for the condolences. It was time for him to go to a better place to be honest. He was 83 next month and had cancer and a weak heart. He told my aunt he was ready to go and then passed away on the anniversary of his own mothers death. my aunt and her daughter took great comfort and the service was lovely.

How are things with you following your dad's passing?

I must find time to look at the consistently consistent thing. All this campaigning is taking its toll.

• Options

Had a rough 10 miles last night at 5ish down lanes in the ice with lunatics everywhere trying to get home. I was lit up like a christmas tree but for some reason they couldnt see me. Am looking for safer routes to run but will now involve the use of the car which is not ideal. Anyway, finished the last two in sub 7.00mm so not a complete waste of time

Re - Orthotics - I has a problem with my foot pre VLM and was lucky enough to see a renowned foot/ankle sports consultant and when I mentioned overpronation/orthotics to him he flipped - said in 99% of cases it was a con and in all his years he had only sent someone for inserts two or three times. I guess if you feel better running with them than without they are doing something good for you.

4.45 am and 5.30 am running Gul and Keir? Shivering and yawning just at the thought!

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I see the spy-cam you have installed in my house is still working Menna! 

I have voted. I am not publicising who I voted for, but it was for someone who regularly posts on this thread. image

Great target Badbark. Perhaps for Speedy you should 'repost' the picture! I'll check out that marathon plan you are following later. Never heard of it before. I understand the logic of the harder LSRs, but would be concerned that they might take too long to recover from, thereby affecting your weekly sessions.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Mennania - not kidding the ice seems to bring out the worst on drivers everywhere! On that subject did anyone bother watching last nights BBC 1 documentary 'War on Britains Roads'. Bike is locked on the TT and not coming out until I have successfully negotiated my spring marathon!

Some of the cyclists behaviour gives us a bad name as well! Not bloody helpful.

Keir - I'm all for supporting the regular forumiteimage

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hi all I met DS2 recently and he has been a really great help. He has directed me here. I feel a bit out of my depth as I'm nowhere near a 3:15 and humbly bow at your collective feet image

I had a specific question about leg pain during the end part of LSRs and DS2 said this would be a good place to get some answers.

After about 15 miles I get really sore legs. It's not an injury as it stops pretty much after I finish. It's very much like DOMS but without the delay image Is this something to be expected - a known phenomenon? Does it go away in time?

Many thanks in advance!