Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GM - Looking promising - just a few more days of easy running is definitely sensible.
    Keir - sounds like a tough session. Well done.
    Literatin / Speedy - good to see the medals on display. Congratulations to you both.
    JD3 - sounds like you use the same kind of distance markers as me!
    But thoughts of IM are not on my radar.
    Speedy - really sorry to hear about your leg. Hope you're not on the bench too long.
    3 easy miles d&d. My colleagues find out today which one of them is being made redundant but I still don't have a leaving date - looks like I might be going away on holiday next week with everything still up in the air.

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Wishing you a Speedy recovery Speedy. Hopefully your mango will have shrunk to about plum size by today.

Are you definately leaving Gul? Are you on holiday to anywhere nice?

Nice medal picture Lit and Speedy. Always nice to get medals for a competition series rather than a 1 off event.

Glad your knee is recovering Gerard. 

• Options

You've clearly been swotting up your anatomy Speedy ! I'd suspect it's one of those annoying soft tissue things that just needs rest, anti inflammatories, stretching blah blah blah...doubt there's any particularly specific targeted intervention that's head and shoulders above conventional approaches to hasten recovery. Good luck with it

Hope life sorts itself out for you Gul

• Options

SJ - I used the Insanity sessions to help return to running after a injury ravaged spring finished off with a PW at VLM, the sessions are tough but a very good workout.  Started off just doing the insanity sessions on a daily basis but now alternate them with my running. They've definately made my legs and core stronger which can only help improve the running.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Early 5k run this a.m. (6:30am) well for me anyway and knee felt fine, that was until I was walking into work down a steep hill and it twitched and sort of locked. It complained all the way down the hill. I am now beginning to wonder if it's PFPS, it feels like it but not as painful as described by many published diagnostic reports. What a pain in the butt nevermind the knee!

SG - I echo Keir's comments! How does it feel today?

Lit -  We are a polite bunch on here not asking you who won your race/smackdown etc. Now stop messing and tell us what went down..... give us the details pls!!!!

Gul - Hope you are not too stressed about your situation? Enjoy your holiday.

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

SG - sorry I can't help with anterior mango problems but wish you a speedy recovery

Sorry to hear things are still not resolved for you Gul

20 this morning in slow fashion, and another battle with the Geese for ownership of the Thames Path. 2-0 to the Geese.

• Options

Spoilsport. They don't usually get the results up that quickly.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

PMJ is a very good cyber-stalker!  Well done to both Speedy and lit on their league finishes.

AR: geese are scary.  Nearly as scary as cows (having experienced cow charges during both the Cotswold Way Relay and the Bath Running Festival 'Half' this year, there's nothing quite like a herd of cows moving at high speed to get you out of a field pronto).

• Options

Okay, yes, so Speedy did beat me in the end though we stuck together like glue for the first 4 miles, until a steep hill proved too much for me. It seemed a fair enough result though given that she is faster than me at all distances, and it would have been a bit galling to exacerbate the mango-like swelling just for the sake of coming second in the league. Here is the actual photo with SG's double bling (gold for the individual ladies & silver for the team competition).

/members/images/699204/Gallery/IMG_4315_(320x239).jpg

I'll get you next year though. image

• Options

Well done PMJ for ending the news blackout! Congrats to both of you. Fine reward for an excellent season. Now, race reports please.

JD3, go on, you know you want to! There are quite a few races in the UK to choose from. Do you one in mind yet?

BarryB! Great to hear from you again. How is the training going? What's your next target race? I've only got the fit test so far, a friend said she would copy the other discs for me and I intend to follow your model. In the meantime I've been doing squats and single leg deadlifts (?) to build some strength. Seems to be helping but I've noticed my left hip flexors are really tight and painful so I'm rollering and lying on a spiky ball which is eye watering image

Hope you get some resolution soon Gul.

• Options

8x400m at the goose shit track at lunchtime: 83, 83, 82, 81, 80, 81, 83, 80. Was aiming for 82 a lap so a little scatter due to wind, rain and general goose shit and geese problems but happy with that (enough goose related news for today?). 38 for the week so far and 14 planned for the weekend will take me over 50 miles for the first time since the start of April. I hadn't planned to do such a big week but with August having two weeks holiday it looks like I will do 13 days without a break sandwiched in-between 10 days off before and after. 

By the end of August I had hoped to be on 1333 miles to hit 2000 for the year and it looks like I will be about 80 shy of that so need close to 190 a month for the remainder of the year to hit the target.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

I preferred the pictures that had boots in them, might just be me though.

JD3 - what are your swim and bike like, have you done many others Tris ?

SJ - have you settled on a 2014 IM yet ?

• Options

I'm struggling with a brownie point deficit TR.  Severe spousal sense of humour failure occurred when I announced the dates for next year's Outlaw..... I might need to skip a year if I want to keep food privileges (etc!) image although I am plotting "operation confuse-a-wife" to subtly (ha!) manipulate her (double ha!) into thinking that 6hr training rides are a good idea. Any thread advice gratefully received on how to achieve that.

• Options

On the plus side, my daughter (10) is doing her first tri on Sunday in Manchester. Vicarious pleasure!

• Options

Stalked! 

Probably ought to write a race report then....

I knew I would run, as much as anything because the team needed my points in order to medal, but also because I don't give in *that* easily. I knew it would make my leg worse and it was a risk I was prepared to take. I spent the day popping ibuprofen like smarties and rounded it off with a couple of paracodol and a magic ionic titanium sticker. Sorted. 

I didn't have any nerves as I was more concerned with getting round at all than with getting round ahead of Literatin. Until the race started. We set off together and neither of us were giving any ground, but I did note that I seemed stronger on the inclines. There is one fairly large hill and I used this to gain a little gap. I knew I had to press the advantage on the downhill, so I set my sights on a couple of fellas ahead of me and tried to use them to pull me onwards. 

Downhill was agony. I was not enjoying this one bit. 

We finally got to the bottom of the hill and there's a sharp hairpin turn before you run the last mile and a half along a slightly uphill trail. I could see Lit was maybe 20 - 30m behind. That whole last section I was running scared, convinced that she would appear on my shoulder at the last minute and take me down in a sprint finish. Given how much it hurt, I really didn't want to lose it that way. It was probably good luck for me that the last section is slightly uphill, as I managed to keep the gap and cross the line 2nd on the night and 20 seconds ahead of Lit in 3rd, which earned us 1st and 2nd in the league. 

We went off for a cool down jog. By then the adrenaline had worn off and the pain started to make itself known. By morning I was wondering if it had all been worth it, just for another gold medal that looks just like all the others, since my foot was swollen and extremely painful. 

Now though, the swelling is much reduced and I found a video on YouTube demonstrating how to massage the rest of the tendon to loosen it off. I still can't flex the foot, but it is soooo much better than yesterday. Hopefully a few days will see it right and I can appreciate the achievement rather than resenting the pain it caused!

• Options

Well done again Speedy and hope you recover soon. Well battled!

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

"just for another gold medal that looks just like all the others" - only a champion could say such a thing! Well done Speedy. A hard battle is all the sweeter when it fought for!

• Options

Yeah, so my race report is similar but from about 20 metres behind... Speedy is probably right about the inclines - I always thought I coped okay with hills but I'm finding them harder as I start to aim for quicker paces in general. But I also didn't want to push any harder than necessary early in the race as I didn't want the pressure of trying to stay ahead all the way. That last hill though was actually steep and I was aware that if I tried to stay with Speedy I'd still need to put on a burst of speed at the end to have any hope of overtaking her, and I certainly wasn't going to be able to do both. At the last hairpin bend back onto the trail I knew I probably wouldn't catch her because she'd been able to see how far back I was, so could be confident enough of being able to stay ahead if she pushed hard enough. I did manage to gain a little ground but not quite enough. There was one bloke who came past me who I thought might pull me along a bit, but he wasn't fast enough.

But on a more positive note, the silver medal provides a pleasingly aesthetic contrast with the gold ones from last week. image

• Options

SJ -  Prepare to sweat( a lot) if you do insanity, glad we've got wooden flooring in the lounge.  Training going really well, thanks, completed 6th 20miler(or further) of Berlin campaign today and after 3:15:08 at Abo last year hoping for a little quicker in September.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

SJ - long ride time is tough to find. I can do 1/2 IM and VLM off a long run or ride of 3hrs max, so get it done early on a Saturday or Sunday, most of my running is built into commutes, I swim at lunch and then do either some early morning turbo or bike commutes, so not ideal training but good enough for me. If I had to find long swim or bike time I'd have take more "me" time, like you have found out, and I havnt so far, my kids are heavily involved in their own sportys and I always ensure that their fixtures take priority. Looks like IM is do-able with the 3hr limit for 8 or 9 months of the year though and then just some an 8 week block of longer stuff, esp if you keep a decent level up yr round. One year I should make the step up. Making time is the issue though. Its no good if yr family re-sent the training time, most of mine is invisible and I rarely mention it.

• Options

Finally.......the reports of the bitch smack down. Nice work ladies. 

Your medals aren't as special as mine though cos mine are invisible image

Sounds like a challenge SJ. Could you slyly suggest a 6 hour ride masquerading as some sort of genteel "nature excursion"...hmm. Probably not

good to see you back and getting in the miles Barry 

Having quite a good training week for once. Tackled the 2/2/1 mile intervals at 10k pace (5.50) on tues then 12 with 9@MP (6.24.on the garmin- still clearly  unsustainable) this aft. 

• Options

Great reports from the head to head, and a stern Headmaster type look for Speedy for virtually destroying her body just for some bling. Of course we'd all do the same.

Gerald and SD3 asked wich marathon I was doing. Kind of you to be inquisitive, I thought that I was boring people to death. http://www.challengehenley.com/ There's a bit of a warm up session, which means that I won't be able to do anything like the standalone time.

Slokey, have you decided on a year of celibacy and fasting, and entered Outlaw anyway? I've just checke dthe organiser's website and can't see the date advertised. Would you spill the beans?

• Options

Blisters - I did suggest that she just consider not racing... purely from altruistic motives, of course.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Blisters - 27th July 2014. Isnt celibacy and fasting par for the course without having entered an IM ?

• Options
    SlokeyJoe wrote (see)

I'm struggling with a brownie point deficit TR. 

I have taken up dancing with the wife over the summer. Ballroom, to be fair, is vaguely enjoyable: the music ticks along and it is left, right, left, right, each foot in turn on the beat. Latin is a fricking nightmare, all these put and replace and sorry, but an hour running a day for the last 30 years and my body really wants to do left, right, left, right and not anything else. I don't know if I am amassing many  brownie points or not: the conversation afterwards always ends up with the fact that she has only ever run once and that was a 400m at a family day at a running club and she pulled out after 200m. Need to find a pure ballroom class and ditch the Latin.

• Options

Outlaw dates: http://www.tri247.com/article_11934_Outlaw+2014+dates+confirmed.html?region_id=&category=

This year's race is being shown on C4 next Sunday morning (25th) for anyone who fancies doing it next year. I'm looking forward to Blisters' report from Henley to assess it as an alternative race for later in 2014 if I can swing it.

Good tip PMJ (aka twinkle toes)image . A shared hobby must help. Does drinking wine and a shared love of crisps count?

TR, half IM training sounds much more socially acceptable!

I'm still benched for running but got out for a 2hr fast ride and a swim session today. I think I'll have my trainers on again by Monday with a bit of luck.

• Options

Outlaw 27 July, what a bitch.

Merely days before my birthday, which means that it's a full week after the schools break up, and we'll be on holidays.

IM Nice coincides precisely with the very last shakings of the A level exams. I can't risk committing and then pulling out. One week later and we would have had a family outing.

It's beginning to look a lot like Tenby 2014.

• Options

Get practicing on those hills Blisters!

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Great race reports from Speedy and literatin.
    Good luck to SJette.
    Good to hear from you again, Barry
    Nice dancing from PMJ.
    Good session from Frazer.
    Nearly didn't do parkrun this morning. Did warm-up and then a bit of stretching and the glutes went haywire. Decided to give it a go anyway. Tried a different tactic today and attempted to stay on the shoulder of a consistently sub 19 runner. Held on till the end of lap 2 (6:00, 6:01 - much more consistent) and almost did enough to hit my target, but gutted to see my watch say 19:00 dead at the end. Still a 4 second PB, so chuffed to bits. Now awaiting official results. Need to take a couple of days rest to let the glutes settle down!