Options

Ironman 2011 Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Evening Bungleboy, glad to see you on the forums. image

I'm sure that you'll get lots of different advice as turbo training is basically individual depending on how much you can stand. In a run up to an IM I've done 3-4 hours of constant spinning, concentrating on positiioning on the aero bars, getting used to the position.

Spin the legs at a decent cadence, and throw the occassional interval session in there just to get your heart rate up and get your legs working harder.

Like an ice rink out there today in Lancaster, so best not out on the bike, abandoned my run and hit the turbo instead.

Good luck with the training.

• Options
    Hi all, hope you all had a good Christmas. I've entered Outlaw and it'll be my 1st attempt at this distance. I've never been able to follow ready made plans so have formed my own schedule based around what I've read in a few books, my previous running plans & my work shifts. I've also factored in the fact I need to do a lot of work on the bike. I've ordered a turbo so hopefully I'll soon be able to get started on that despite the ice outside. Today was a rest day as I was at work this weekend so today was designated for "Christmas" dinner. I'll be heading out for a good run tomorrow to burn it off!
  • Options
    Morning all. 1st day of 30 week plan yesterday was a rest dayimage. So today was my 1st training day was at the pool for 7.30. swimming is by far my weakest of the 3 sports.So was just concentrating on getting some time in the water. steady day planned today then a run this evening.
  • Options

Hey all, so its the start of structerd training for some this week. good luck with the journey ahead.
    Mine starts in a couple of weeks but planning to get out for a 45 min run later when I get a break, (some of us have to work) image

• Options

30 week Outlaw training started this morning. 50 minutes Turbo.   Defo need to get more organised though, after 1 session I have learned some valuable lessons.

Dont forget, Fan to keep cooler, drink, and mp3 player and HRM, all of which I remembered about 2 minutes after starting but I could't be ar**d to stop and get them.

Swimming starts tomorrow when I am back at work.

Have plenty of time to get those things right though.

• Options
    yep - lots of this training stuff is about logistics.

I do lots of my stuff in the morning, so looking out kit / maps / nutrition means you just get up and go.

The alternative is you spend 30 mins pfaffing around getting annoyed and frustrated.

For turbos, I do 60 - 90 mins once / twice week in the mornings before bike commuting to work, while its still too dark to do a longer ride. These are generally long endurance intervals at the moment, (hr at 130 -> 145 for 3/4 mins each).
    I also do a muscular endurance interval sessions later on, (per friel in going long) - these are way harder!

Last year I only did a couple of 'long' rides on a turbo - we only had ice for a couple of weeks. I think its gonna be a bit worse this year.

My training program kicked off a couple of weeks ago, but no long rides yet... Snow has melted so maybe able to go hit the lanes again!

Snow
  • Options

well all the ice is gone so I treated myself to a nice steady hour and a half out on the fixie its been a few weeks since I have been out on it and I found some of the hills i used to cruise up in Aug/Sept a bit of a struggle still wont take long to get back into it, damp, foggy morning but a great change from ice and slushimage

All you first timers starting your training, dont forget to build it up nice and slow, if it feels like you are pushing yourself you are going to hard, there is an awful lot of training to get in over the next 30 or so weeks dont get injured by pushing to hard a nice gradual build ups the ticket image  

• Options

Thats a nice easy 45min on the treadmill done, still too much ice round the site here to do one of my short runs. then finished off with a couple hundred wall squats with an ex ball. Chiro say that as the knee isn't passing forward over the ankle it's good for the tendons in the knees.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Went out on the roads on the mountain bike today as I wasn't confident enough to try a road bike. Glad about that, as there were still some icy bits. We were only out for an hour an three quarters, and going pretty gently, but I was pretty weary by the end, which suggests I've lost a lot of bike fitness.
    Managed a quick change, and into an untimed short run, though, so happy with that.
    Not being able to plan is driving me mad (random family arrangements, weather, etc etc.) but I'm hoping this week will allow me a bit more biking, a couple of swims and some easy runs.
  • Options
    Random interjection - did someone have Fink's plans on Excel that they could email or did I dream reading that?
  • Options
    SF .. mail me an address through here and I will send it on
  • Options
    I have a copysomewhere too but only in intermediate one from memory!!!
  • Options

Thanks guys.

M...eldy, you have a RW message with my email address in it.

• Options
    Hours slow run in thick fog on the moor this morning,hamstrings are still not completely right but a steady build up of easy workouts over the next month should free them up, when I say a slow run my old training partner  Tara the ex fittest laorador in the world (she is 12 and retired from heavy training) came out with me and WIlson the mighty Iron Dog and had no trouble keeping up (done nothing but sleep for the rest of the day thoimageimage)
  • Options

First swin this AM.  Around 35 mins and 1K. Difficult to be exact as a

a) I lost count

b) Without my specs I cannot see clock.

Tried hard to concentrate on breathing and although not perfect I feel that it is at last coming together. learning to relax in water is making a big difference.Have also decided it is better for me breathing out through nose, and not mouth.

• Options
    Hello, coming in a bit late to the thread but not been on here a while with all the merriments of christmas.
    I am IM virgin and have entered Outlaw. Cornish Digger gave me fright when realised should have started 30 week training plan this week...oops!! So have just ordered Be Iron Fit and so will start next week.
    Obviously as you can tell I am totally disorganised, and have just been doing whatever training takes my fancy. Did a 40 mile bike couple weeks ago (my furthest ride to date) just to see how I felt...was slow but happy image and do spin class once a week and turbo trainer at home.
    Swimming is rubbish, basically just swim steady pace for as long as possible, usually taking rest after every 1000mtrs, but this isn't helping my pace at all, hoping the new book will give me some pointers.
    Run is probably my strongest discipline...I'm as slow as a slow thing but seem to plod on and on. I'm quite happy to take backpack and go out for 4 hours at a time off road running. I also have the Grizzly and Brighton Marathon to complete before Outlaw, but as I'm not after a specific time I'm not too worried about tailoring my training for them. Have already done 3 marathons so know I can at least get round them, and just enjoy the views!
    I am really REALLY looking forward to doing the Outlaw, and hopefully meeting a lot of the pirates on the journey, both in training and on the day. The reason I am doing this is because of all of your inspiring stories image
  • Options
    You need some different reading matter then ... its dangerous stuff   image

Dependant on how many swim sessions you are doing I would use one session to concentrate on technique, if you are comfortable swimming for a long period of time then it may be time to take stock of technique for a while
  • Options
    Its very dangerous Melds, look whats happened to me!! image

Doing 3 a week. Yes I think it is definitely technique I need to improve on. Going to get some lessons in new year. Apparently good OW swim club near me so will plead for some help! image

Thanks as always image
  • Options
    can I offer another little bit of advice then?

Dont do OW swimming yet   image
  • Options
    I know this is completely random but also contemplating (this usually means 99% I will do it) joining a boxing club?? So random but thought would be great fun, and also gets you strong and fit...is this a ridiculous idea??? image
  • Options
    Haha wasn't at moment Melds....brrrrr!! I meant teaching me OW in a pool...is this possible??
  • Options
    Cornish Digger - you should definitely be breathing out through your nose and in through your mouth. The most practical reason is that it stops water getting up your nose. I taught swimming for years and this was one of the biggest mental blocks people had with putting their face in the water and getting a breathing rhythm.
  • Options
    No ... you cant replicate the OW part of it but I suppose you can practise sighting and the alternate breathing if you cant do it will also help

Boxing .. yes a bit of fun and will help with fitness but be aware of your capabilities once training kicks in to double figures hours wise !
  • Options
    Pugsley ... I find that breathing out through my mouth is best for me but in a 'whistling' action, ie not a hard puff out and more of a natural rythymn

Unless of course I am going balls out which is extremely rare in the pool (or anywhere else for that matter) !!
  • Options
    Maybe I'll just wait until the sea warms up a bit image

Yes thats true about the boxing. I just find a structured session better for me. I do a lot of my training on my own, and don't think I push myself as hard as I could do. Maybe I'll do it for couple of months and see if it helps me. Thanks image
  • Options
    Hey Meldy, to be honest whatever works for you! I find the slightest drop if water up my nose excruciatingly painful for some reason so always maintain a steady trickle out of my nose. If I am sprinting I use both mouth and nose but i'm really too old to be doing nonsense like that.
  • Options

Pugsley, Thanks for that, I tried in and out through mouth, but it just seems more comfortable breathing out through nose. I managed about 40 lengths this morning and only had one bad length.

In September when I did a sprint Tri, I managed 2 lengths and then the rest with my head totally out, so a definite improvement on that. Still a long way from perfect though.

• Options

PIT, boxing?  Never heard of anyone mixing that and tri.

If it doesn't work out at least you will have some nice gloves to keep your hands warm on the bike,  not much cop for changing gear though.

• Options
    even less cop in the swim  image