Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options

2Old, thinking probably using the P&D 55-70 as a guide but tweaking it a bit so I can fit in some club sessions and also maybe dropping one of the shorter recoveries most weeks to make it a 5-day rather than 6-day schedule. Also might add in more MP miles as I think the schedule I've got is the first edition one, which doesn't have many MP-pace runs in it.

Cooks, yeah, I'm looking forward to the races - feel I'm in PB shape, although I'm putting in the miles at the moment so it could depend how rested I feel for them and also whether the weather's hot (I'm rubbish at racing in anything above about 15 degrees!).

Sorry Minni, I wear slight support shoes, except for my flats, so can't help with the neutral shoes. I do wonder sometimes whether support shoes do more harm than good though too and if I'd be better in neutrals.

• Options

Daren - I'm with you on the heat issue, bit me on the backside in Valencia! image  Best of luck for the pb hunt!  PS I can vouch for the up to 55 mpw P&D, it certainly helped me leap fwd re times, the 55-70 can only be better.  I think the main thing I found with adapting it is sticking to the overall structure of the mesocycles.......

Mini - can't help I'm afraid, although am thinking of dabbling with Addidas Energy Boosts......

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- I don't use neutral shoes so can't help sorry 

Cooks- I was tempted to give that marsthon a go had Boston left me unscathed but anyway I'm done with hills for the time being 

Daren- you seem almost marathon ready now so you'll have to watch you don't peak too soon and get stale though I'm sure you will get it all to come together nicely 

Some more spinning done plus an easy treadie run of 5.5k which seemed to go ok. Maybe I will sign up for a TRI. 

• Options

Minni -  My long term right inner calf issue was cured last year when a physio at last year VLM suggested it was caused by my mild support shoes holding my foot in a wrong  position this was confirmed by gait analysis, since moving to neutral shoes I've had no more problems in this area. I wear Brooks Ghost 6 very flexible and well cushioned so good for long as well as the short stuff.

Daren - Speedy repeats and not slacking much on the recovery.

Cooks - Yeah we will be swimmersimage.  I'm lucky Pink  bought me 4 one to one lessons for Xmas, and has agreed to pay for 4 more(cause I need them).

2old -  You 're getting some good non running training done, how's the calf?

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-Interesting stuff about the change of shoes-I use mild support shoes and whilst I had no problems with the first two pairs I got through training this year ,the third which I used for the race has never felt quit right. Trouble is gait analysis shows I do slightly pronate so in theory neutrals are not right for me.I might try mixing them up a bit. My calf  feels as though there is a lump of scar tissue in it but I can flex and bend it nearly the same as the other one. Im probably going to gradually reintroduce some runs into my training over the next week..

• Options

Cooks: i had about 20 one on one sessions and did a lot of masters swim group sessions, swim fitness is in a league all of its own and does not transfer to bike or run fitness. By the time I "retired from tri" last year I could always get under 30 mins for a 1.5K swim, it really is all technique.

Minni: i switched to neutral shoes years ago and it resolved a lot of issues,  I pronate on my right foot but not my left. First off I went to Saucony. triumph which are a really nice high mileage neutral shoe and then to Saucony Kinvara which only have a 4mm heel, initially that gave me calf issues but persevered, as a result I no longer heel strike, others rave about Newtons.

fifty very wet miles on the bike, forecast said showers but it chucked it down,preferred training in Dubai!

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD-Ive swum all my life off and on and swim at the same speed now as I always have for 100m as 2k and never had any technique lessons and thats why Ive never improved. I am addressing that now.Not sure I will go neutral if it causes calf issues.Those fifty must have felt like 75 today,Good going

Ok Ive signed up for a sprint tri in a week or so but will I make the start?

• Options

Hopefully not 2Old. I've only really recently been consistently putting in the high-mileage weeks and this phase has been more about getting to the stage where the long runs feel 'normal' and marathon training, hopefully, shouldn't be too much of a leap.

I'm aiming for a sort of 'mini-peak' for my HM anyway, after which I've got an easy week and then the start of P&D, which in the early stages is actually less intense than what I'm currently doing, so the plan is that will be like the start of a new cycle, leading to my marathon peak. That's the plan anyway! Whether it works out like that is another matter!

But agree, I definitely feel confident I could run a reasonable marathon at the moment.

• Options

Barry - oh yes we will!! image

DD - I would love to be able to do that....impressive!  I'm planning to ease back in with one lunchtime swim practice per week and then top up with group lessons in Sept.  From what you say, I'll investigate one on one options too - maybe look to introduce in the New Year, so will be ok by next Aug....  That should fit in well with my running plans nicely!

I literally did my first swim for about 9 months at lunchtime.  All I can say is that the first length went well................ image

• Options

Daren - if you feel you can run a good marathon now you should do one! Seriously though, because as 2old, Minni, Chick and many others demonstrated this year, best laid plans don't always work out. A 9a marathon might be just what you need!

And thinking about it - Steve Way wasn't going to do the marathon this year but changed his mind at the last minute and got a massive PB!

http://www.steveway.co.uk/?p=1203 (if you havent read it)

• Options

Ant -  Mind boggling impressive reading on Steve Way's site, including 50 hilly miles at 6:44 avg 2 weeks before VLM amazing.

• Options

Steve Way runs in half the races I do, quelle surprise I never see him after the start!

• Options
    col.col. ✭✭✭

Barry - my immediate focus is on shorter distances, 5k up to half marathon. My 5k pace in particular needs quite a bit of work. I have a 10k and a half marathon race lined up in May. I will probably do Dublin Marathon in October. Good luck on Sunday.  

Minni - that's a good racing schedule you have lined up. I hope to firm up my racing plans in the next week. Well done on the 5k. I wear a neutral shoe for all training and races. The Saucony Triumph seems to work for me, I am currently alternating the version 9 and version 10. I ran London in the version 10.  

Daren - fast repeats. 

O4S -  good luck at the weekend

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Ant/Barry/DD- that Steve Way is on another running planet...amazing 

col- have you run Dublin before ? Is it far from you ? I fancy that one one day if only for the post race recovery Guinness 

Cooks- why is it the swim coaches all say I have todo a minimum of 3 swims per week to get any benefit? I'm the same speed after 1 a week as after 3/4 . image

• Options
    PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

KFC did you enjoy the pool swim?

2Old I was invited to try the early morning swim session, said yes but forgot I had the HM the day before. Still went as I thought it might help loosen the legs which it did. Hard work though as plenty of drills.

Minni Nice to see you back & good luck to Miss Minni. Packed racing diary there. I'm in a support shoe - Brooks Trance & changed from Brooks GTS. They have been brilliant. Never worn a neutral shoe.

O4S Enjoy unpacking those boxes. Like your race plans as well. Retirement - lucky you. Impressive those miles for this weekend.

Cooks keep going with the swimming. A year and a half ago I would have described myself as completely rubbish as I was scared to swim under water which didn't help. I'm surprised how I've stuck at it & progressed.

I've managed to bag a staff parking space for Sunday's Neolithic Marathon which will be good so I don't have to worry about dropping off in the right place.

My planned races so far:

Commonweal 5 Miler 8th May

Lethbridge 10k 10th June

Edgehill HM (yes KFC I'm going for it) 6th July

Chippenham HM  7th Sept

I'm also on the waitlist for a place at Castle to Castle 10k on 13th July

Ran 5 miles last night with the running group. Legs were still tired and also had a problem with my right hip which caused me to be hobbling for the rest of the evening. Haven't done much today as spent the morning with the youngest at the hospital. She's had an op so looking after her with TLC.

• Options
    old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Pink:  retirement sounds good, but it involves being rather ancient!

I moved loads of boxes and clothes today so have decided to skip the club intervals tonight and just go to the Awards evening - don't think intervals will help on the 100 miler.......image

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend - can't say I'll be thinking of you but hope it goes well

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Minni, tsk tsk. Loch Leven! I have contemplated that one actually and fancied it, and I am due for 16 miles that weekend. So either a LSR of 16 or a HM paced 13? But not sure with it being 2 weeks before Edinburgh? Nice list Minni.. On the neutrals, I am the same as DD transitioned from Triumph (8mm) to Kinvara (4mm) and have been pretty pleased with them.

Hi Barry, Yes 12 weeks is when I start feeling a twinge here and there. Hopefully some good weather for the marathon Sunday?

Hi 2old, Yes, I do have a regular appointment with the physio scheduled for next Tuesday. She will no doubt get her sharpened elbow into my glutes! How is the calf now ?

Hi DD, Yes training in Dubai sounds very attractive at the moment!

Hi Pink, Hope the hip doesn't come to much...

Hi Ant, Nice link.

Hi Daren, Another fast session, the sesions you are putting in at the moment you could go straight into a marathon now I would think. Especially with all these 21 mile runs with no fuel image!

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Got to work on the glutes with the spiky ball last night and it seemed to loosen some of the tightness. Felt a lot better last night. I had been giving it a go over the last couple of days, but got to work big time last night.

Went out this morning, bloomin awful...rain, wind and cold. I think it was about 3-4 degrees! Ran 6 miles with 5 miles pace. Ran the splits at 6:54,6:44,6:48,6:43 and 6:45 it was quite hard to keep consistency with the wet ground etc... Is it spring?

• Options

Nell - Good news on the niggle and nice pacy miles. Weather looking good for sunday overcast and cool.

Toss up between swimming practice and running this morning, decided on swimming to rest my legs for Sunday. Wrong choiceimage I was rubbish, tired from a week of nights or overthinking maybe.  I definitely must look like a swimmer, some young bloke in the changing room asked if I swim in the lake a lot to which I replied no I don't even swim in the pool.image Needless he was in  the lane next to me making it look effortless, I love a challenge, this swimming will either make or break me.

• Options
    Everyone seems well, apart from DD. ouch.

Barry, nice half time. Marathon tomorrow ?

Daren sure you could run sub 3:20 most weekends with those times. Fast.

Minni as others have said Kinvara seems the perfect shoe, light but some cushioning, from speed session right up to marathon. I find them as good as racing flats but without any drawbacks.. On sport shoes for ??47 too.

O4S nice list of events.

Doing Malvern ultra later today, tonsillitis has taken a few weeks training out but not too badly. Still going to take it very steady. Lots of hills.
  • Options

Hi guys. Been awol for a bit. Basically cos Ive not done too much since London. Knee went "ouch" on a downhill stretch of a run last week so have rested it this week. Gonna test it with my second ever (after Oxford) ykw this morning. 4 large glasses of red and kebab and chips last night should provide the perfect base for a run!!! And Miss AA is gonna run it too - any excuse to get out of revision!

Quick squizz through the posts...

FRC - good luck today - take care

O4S - enjoy your 100 miler...mad!!!!

Daren - you are super quick!

Pink - well done for last weekend.

Barry - excellent HM.

Minni - nice schedule ahead. Fingers crossed with the hip. Pleased about Miss Minni. Relief I'm sure

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Barry, Good luck for tomorrow. Are you running Pink?

Hi FRC, Malvern hills, that won't be a flat run. Nice scenery though image

Hi AA, I like the nutrition tips ;0)

Rest day yesterday and popped into the gym last night after dropping my son off to scout camp. Friday must be one of the main Grunters nights. I thought it would be quiet... I do get some strange looks when I pull out the resistance bands image 5 mile run this morning just took it as it came.. LSR tomorrow 20 miles.

Question guys:

I am contemplating running the Loch Leven HM next week. I am not sure whether to run this or just run the intended LSR of 16 miles. This will be 2 weeks before Edinburgh, I don't want to compromise Edinburgh Marathon. Any views on this please?

• Options

FRC -  Good luck for today, hopefully not too warm for it. Yup marathon for me tomorrow, feels a  bit strange as the last 4 I've done have been a weekend away from home.

Nell - When you say run the HM I take you mean race it? Most would say not to but if it is a PB opportunity  course and you feel up for it I would say go for it or run it as part of the planned 16 miler and use it to practice some (maybe last 10) MP miles.

AA - Hope the YKW cleared your head and the knee held up.

• Options
    PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

AA nice to see you back & hope the YKW went well.  Good that Miss AA was running as well.

Nell enjoy LSR tomorrow. I'm not running the Marathon - I've never ran one as this year for me is about trying the HM to see how I get on. I'm dropping Barry off then driving to Stonehenge to meet him at the finish - a pat on the back if I can find him.

Swimming training last night which was good fun as it included race sprints - hip is ok but I haven't tried running on it yet. No running today as feeling very tired as myself & Barry have been taking it in turns to look after our youngest who is suffering after her op & not well after having a general anaesthetic. image

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Thinking of O4S and BA right now - hope their 100 is going well, and looking forward to a colourful report as usual!

Barry - I think I managed to miss the fact you are marathoning tomorrow - have a good run, are you racing it?

Ant - despite being hit for six by the toothache you managed a pretty decent marathon in the middle of it image

Great news for ms minni - and nice race schedule minni.  And a new parkrun - very exciting

How did the kebab fuelled ykw go AA?

Nell - I'd say go for it, unless you usually feel tired 2 weeks after a half.  I think Col has run some great marathons off doing similar.

pink - yes I did.  its such a big pool it made me feel very small and slow. 

Good luck to you all with the swimming - swimming was my sport for 10 years when a lot younger, which is great cos it means I've got the technique to be generally OK without having to do much training, but the negative is that every time I get in the pool I'm depressed at how slow I am now...  I can only imagine how hard it is to pick it up later on like some of your guys so hats off - I certainly couldn't hack that.

Dunblane 7.5M tomorrow.  The course is one of my favourite training routes, and finishes with the kind of hill that's perfect to induce a big sprint finish vom.  bring it on!

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Looks like another busy day at the office tomorrow- good luck Barry and KFC and anyone else racing tomorrow. Hope all went well today FRC,O4S and BA you crazy people 

Nell- only you know whether it's a good idea but it would be a pity if you finishthe marathon   feeling you left something in the half. it's probably best to do it at MP at its fastest. 

KFC - imagine how depressed I am getting into the pool knowing I don't even have the technique. 

AA- doesn't hurt to take time out to recover. 

Rested yesterday as I had no choice. Second run since Boston today - just over 7.5 miles at 7.50 pace. 

• Options
    Barry seem to remember you doing a sub 1:30 half 2 weeks before VLM last year. Oompa too. Opinion changed now?

AA red wine and kebab & chips sounds pretty good to me. Hope the park run went well.

2old still tired after Boston?

Good luck KFC, o4s.

Malvern hills 52 went well. Although missed a few turns so more like 53 miles.

8600 ft of up, 8600 ft of down. 2 points for utmb.

Steady pacing, 5:45 to half way 26 ish mile, finished in 11:56 so good pretty even effort.

More info later.
  • Options

2old -  Good you are running, calf holding up?

FRC - well done for today, that is a long way with a lot of up and down. See  you have set your sights high for your ultras. I ran a 1:32 HM before my VLM nightmare last year but that was to test the legs as I had n't run for 6 weeks. But I ran a 1:28 HM 2 weeks before my 3:15 at Abingdon 2 years ago.

kfc - Thanks, no not racing, going to try and enjoy the experience of doing something different, XC with a few hills, with no pressure. Good luck for today.

• Options
    PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

KFC Good luck for today

Impressive distance FRC well done

O4S - hope everything going ok for you & BA on your 100 miler

Dropping Barry off at the Neolithic Marathon today & will head to the finish at Stonehenge to meet him

For those swimmers amongst us. Your own training pool:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2124576/Just-dont-add-diving-board-Architects-make-splash-skyscrapers-swimming-pools-instead-balconies.html

Good luck to anyone else racing today

• Options

Barry - hope you have fun today.

KFC - good luck.

FRC- can't even imagine that. Well done.

O4S & Ba - hope you're getting on well.

YKW - first woman in 20:30 (pb as I've only done Oxford...injured!) and 16/240 so pretty happy with that. Forgot just how much I hate these short fast ones. 5 minutes in and I thought I was gonna puke...and was thinking thank god this isn't a 10kimage