Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options

Nell - Good news on your knee.

kfc -  Strong running from you.

Freemers - Impressive 10k, given your injury worries, congrats on the 1st place.

DD - Ouch.

16 miles for me this morning, avg 7:29 with last 5 at or below MP.image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-back to piling up the miles nicely I see- did you say if you were doing an Autumn marathon?

KFC-some good runs there and a very fast Park Run.You are seeing the benefits of a decent period without injury.Maybe I should invest in goggles with lenses in or better still a gps device which plots a straight line and try not to close my eyes too often when swimming

Minni-another crisis-its not a good year so far.Hope all will be ok for you.At least your hip seems to be on the mend which is the inportant thing

Barry-your fast LRs are now normal pace for you-are you getting this weeks LR in early or catching up on last week?

Nell--yes a hypochondriac-you said itimagebut then so are the rest of us here

O4S-good to see you back in the saddle

Pink-nice pool work by you.Bet youre excited about the new bike.You smash out another PB at that 5 mile race but then again,its not all about PBs every race

DD-are you back just for sympathy?.imageSeriously hope theres nothing nasty  about that gash.You need your head examining too when your at A&E-the very idea of doing Comrades a second time says you need your head examining

Free-nice tempo 10k ,great time and you had a bit of fun with the private competition and more bling -well done

Still tired from this weekend-dont know why as I only ran 5k. 8 miles steady today. The tri yestrday was a qualifier for the European Championships in Geneva but sadly coming 33rd in my age group didnt get me a GB trisuitimage.Better quality field than last year as I came 4th for my age then and was 4 mins slower

• Options
    col.col. ✭✭✭

Minni - glad you are ok. It must have been frightening. I hope you recover quickly

2old - excellent tri

kfc - it's all coming together nicely now. Good parkrun and training

Chickadeee - you are getting back to the big miles

Barry - that's a very fast 16 mile run

Freemers - congrats on the 1st place in your age category

I ran parkrun on Saturday followed by just over 10 miles at about 8:40 pace. My parkrun times are still not where I want them to be but I am seeing a little improvement every week. I have a half marathon on Wednesday evening on a very hilly course.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Nice one, Freemers image. I told you you were going to be under 45mins, didn't I image

2old: no autumn marathon for me. I just enjoy building back the miles. 50 mile weeks are my normal score. That and the meds should hopefully see some decent pace improvement over the next weeks.

DD: ouch!

I'm going to do some halves in September/October and maybe a 10 miler (there is indeed one in Hamburg in September which is great as we Germans don't do miles) image

Now bunking off work early (like everyone else around me) coz it's footie time image

• Options

2old: 5th time not 2nd time!

chick: enjoy the football

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD- you need a lobotomy image Which direction us your favourite?

Chick- 10miler in metric land? Isn't that illegal ? Good idea to do those races. Any 5and 10k s?  Good win for hot lonight in Brazil 

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Nice 10k freemers.  Clearly proves that class is permanent  image

Quality run there Barry

haha 2old - its always good to be put in your place when all the fasties turn up - I inadvertently did the scottish sprint tri champs last year and ended up way further down the field than I'm used to!

Col - I'm really impressed how you can get in a decent run after parkrun - I always feel drained and find it a struggle to slowly jog the 2 miles home.  

Glad Mo has announced he's running at Glasgow - I'll be there to see him in the 10,000.  Hope he stays fit til then!

Hoping its coming back together for me - I've got a fast flat half on Sunday that six months ago I'd had an eye on for a sub 90 attempt.  Clearly thats not on right now, but its good to feel I can have a bash at a pb.  Just need to keep a lid on things at the fell race on Friday...  

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

KFC- I quite enjoyed being in their company even if it wasn't for long. I realised something was going on by the large number of very expensive bikes in the racks. You can't be far off sub 90 if it's flat and not too warm looking at your recent runs and tris. What is your pb? Might be worth a go 

• Options

hi guys, tryin to keep up!

Pink + Freemers, nice 10kms.

KFC - you're running well at the mo, go for a p.b in your half!

Minni - very scary, glad you are ok!

D.D - ouch!

2old - nice tri image

Col - good to keep the park runs ticking over + times improving.

Barry - speedy stuff sir!

o4s - good to be settling in, tske care of that injury!

Sorry to anyone I've missed, stupid phone!

18 weeks till Abo, incase you didn't already knowimage got temporary orthotics from the podiatrist + did 10 miles problem free yesterday. legs, bums + tums at the gym tonight, trying to focus on building a stronger core and remain injury free!

• Options
    PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Congratulations on the 10k Freemers

Sorry you've been in the wars DD sounds painfulul

Well done on the park run Col

I now have an entry level road bike 2Old

• Options

2old - I've got a race Saturday so I've swapped my runs around this week.

kiwi - excellent news on the 10 miles.  I wish Abo was a bit sooner.image

kfc - You are joining O4S's club, HM PB attempt Sunday and a fell race Friday.image

Swimming lesson for me this morning, now I can swim a length comfortably my coach is trying to push me a little bit harder, the half hour was more tiring than the run yesterday.image I've been only breathing to the right so far and tried to introduce breathing to the left and not pretty. But all good, making progress and happy enough.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Kiwi -nicely on track for Abbo

Pink-will you be polishing your new bike every day image.Mine looks great until Im on it

Barry-good plan.Im hoping to do the same only substitute 'race' with 'family parties' Its when I bilateral breath that I go off course in open water but it does make me go faster even if its the wrong way

• Options
    old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

KFC: welcome to my gang image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Pleased to do my LR this evening in pretty hot conditions. 20 miles av 7.55 mm. Not sure if I'll do much in the next few days. 

• Options

2old -  Very nice 20 miles. Yes lots of things to practice at swimming but always good to have a new challenge.

10 miles for me this morning,  3 sets of slow/MP/HMP and a warm down mile to finish splits  (8:21,7:14,6:44),(7:57,7:11,6:52),(8:01,7:18,6:52),7:57. 

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

I'm in O4S's gang - yay!   (Hope that doesn't mean I need to start doing ultras...  Not too proud to admit I'm not tough enough for that!)

• Options
    old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Anyone planning to do GFA for London next year?  If so will they accept photos of the documents and why on earth do you need to write 'COPY' on them?

KFC: you don't need to be tough, just a bit dim - comes with age image

25 minutes last night, way too hot and the hammy still aches, but no longer a sharp pain

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Thanks for reminding me O4S - I was going to remind everyone that London GFA is open until July 4th - http://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

I've done mine, I hope they'll accept what I've sent them.  Think I sent a couple of pics with a text box saying copy on them for good measure.  Not due a response for 15 working days so I hope I did it right!

• Options

Col - Good luck for the half, "enjoy" the hills.

• Options

my gfa has expired image

Barry + 2old nice runs.

K.F.C - you've joined an elite gangimage

this week seems to be going ok, legs, bums + tums Mon, 3 miles last night, off to circuits tonight, long may the normality continue! twas Sports day at school today, love Sports day, think i should have been a P.E teacher ....

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi O4S - Nice weather for putting in the miles on the bike ..

Hi kfc, I didn't mean that far North, nice miles ;0)

Hi Pink, You seem busy with training at the moment?

Hi Freemers, Well done on the 10K, hopefully you can move forward from there...

Hi DD, Sorry to hear about your fall, hope you are feeling better.

Hi Barry, Nice pacey miles. Also nice to go out of your comfort zone now again (swimming).

Hi Chick, You must be happy with the world cup at the moment? Must admit, not a fan of Müller, great footballer, but always spoils it by his play acting etc..although Pepe played into his hands there (silly boy).

Hi 2old, Nice 20 in this current weather...

Hi Kiwi, legs bums and tums interesting ;0)

Hi Col, Hope the HM goes ok...

5 miles from me yesterday at 7:45mm. Still not convinced with the ITB. Just some resistance training today and going for  arun in the AM and then back to footie tomorrow evening image   will probably have lost my speed and be mince!

• Options
    PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

I didn't quite finish my post the other morning as my teenage daughter was giving me earache to hurry up & take her to school so apologies it was short.

2Old the bike fits me perfectly, I just need to go out on it now to get used to it. I bought a Carrera as until I'm sure I like tri's I didn't want to splash out too much. Although I wish I had now as Barry treated me to the bike image. Nice LR from you & sorry that you missed out on the European Tri Champs image Will there be another opportunity for you to qualify?

Good news for you Kiwi - yes Abo will soon be here but of course I will be cheering you all on & not running image might get the drinks in while i'm waiting

Col hope the Half went well

Nell I ran & swam Sunday, early morning swimming Monday, rest Tuesday, ran at lunchtime today. I have a 5 mile race this Saturday & my next HM is next month at Edgehill which i'm sure will be a battle if I'm on another bet with Barry. I'm actually enjoying the world cup at the moment even though I prefer rugby. Some of the teams are playing really well. I think a South American team will win it this year.

Was going to try out my new bike tonight but had to take it back to the shop as they forgot to put the reflectors on it. Still, can't complain as they gave me a bike accessory kit free for the inconvenience.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Have fun on the bike, pinklady image

Barry B wrote (see)

10 miles for me this morning,  3 sets of slow/MP/HMP and a warm down mile to finish splits  (8:21,7:14,6:44),(7:57,7:11,6:52),(8:01,7:18,6:52),7:57. 

That sounds like a really good workout, Barry. I will keep that in mind for when (if) I ever get fit and fast again.

Quite happy with the German footie squat at the moment, however I'm very low on points in our work fantasy worldcup  image  I predicted that Spain would win the cup. Ouch image!!

kiwi: great news!

I did 11 a bit mile runs today and Tuesday and just an easy 6 yesterday. So the mileage is there. Now I need the pace back, please image

• Options
    col.col. ✭✭✭

Barry - that's a very good session. Your pace was very consistent.

2old - nice 20 mile run

Kiwi - Normality sounds good!

Pinklady - excellent and varied training. I hope all goes well with the bike.

Nell - that's a nice 5 miler. Football always hurts after a bit of a lay off.

My target going into last night's half was to beat my course best of 1:33, although at the start I would have been happy with a 1:35 given the hot conditions with temparatures of 24 at the start of the race and 20 at the end. The first 5 miles are relatively flat and then it is relentless hills for the rest of the race. I started out at 6:45 to 6:50 pace and held this pace relatively comfortably for the first 5 miles. On the first big hill at mile 6 my pace dropped to 7:30 for the mile. Half way came in 45:26. There is lot of climbing from half way to the 9.5 mile point and I just focussed on working hard up the hills and trying to relax on the downhills. 9.5m is the highest point of the course and after it there is a mile long downhill section. I was able to get the pace in the 6:30s on the downhill section and overtook quite a few runners. There is then a few short but sharp hills just after 10.5m and it was on one of these hills that I was overtaken by 3 runners, the first to overtake me in the 2nd half of the race. I tried to keep up with them and held on to one of them but the other 2 were too fast, gaining a minute on me in the 2.5m to the finish. The last mile is virtually all uphill and myself and another runner worked together to maintain a decent pace on this mile. I crossed the line in 1:31:35.

• Options
    old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Congratulations Col - which half was it (I'm hoping to do some NI races next year when visiting). Don't know how you managed to keep going at that pace given the conditions

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, col image

c'mon England!!!!
  • Options
    PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Brilliant Col well done image

• Options

wow, Col fab race, i can't even imagine running a half in the evening!

Chick - yay the mileage is up, your pace will soon come back!

Pink - sounds like you have a sparkly new bike, hopefully you can get out on it soon!

Nell - get a sports massage/pysio on that I.T band, speaking from bitter experience trying to run thru i.t problems ends in tears, hope you get it sorted!

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Pink, Yes I hope it is a South American team that wins, that one being Argentina as I have them in the office sweep ;0) Great mix going on there.

Hi col, Well done on the HM, super stuff, especially in the that temp and 2 mins off your PB for the course!

HI kiwi, Yes, I am an old hand at the IT Band problems now, luckily my physio who is now a veteran runner also has had her fair share if ITB. I am actually booked in for a massage next Monday, so she will no doubt get to work on me as usual image 

Strange day yesterday for me. I went out for 5 miles in the morning and on the first mile was worrying about the ITB when I realised that I was tensing up, so decided to just get back to basics and relax the shoulders, crown of the head to the sky and all that stuff. Sun was out and ended up having a lovely run, pretty much at 7:30mm?? Played footie last night and made my excuses before we started afte rbeing away so long and ended up having a great game, legs felt great and no aches after... the only pain later was watching England and the majestic Suarez ;0(

Gym this morning and might try and get out early doors AM as I have some scheduled work over in Glasgow later on in the morning...image

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Col - course best soundly beaten - nice run.

Enjoy the bike pink, nothing beats swooping along in the sun on a road bike!  

Sounds good Nell - no aches is the dream!

Beautiful evening for the fell race last night, and a smaller field than last year, probably cos lots of people will be doing the half on Sunday.  Its just over 3 miles, with 6 hills on the way.  I was 3rd last year and got a nice bottle of wine, so I wanted to place, but not run too hard, and not go too mental on the fast descents and do something silly before Sunday.  

I set off at a good pace, and on the first descent forgot all about taking it easy as I hurtled down overtaking people image.  About half way a marshall called out I was first lady, so I steadied the pace a bit as i didn't think there was anyone that close behind me.  After hill 4, I must have taken a wrong turn - the course is well marked with sawdust and I hadnt seen any for a while - GAH, what a stupid way to throw away a win!  I continued on the trail i was on, hoping it would bring me back onto a bit of marked course.  After a bit, I crossed paths with the tailrunner who offered to take me back up one of the hills I'd already run (I declined!), and pointed me on to the next marshall.  He was surprised to see me pop out from a different path, but there were lots of other runners now and I was back on course, after a celebration extra loop.  I gradually passed the runners I was now with, including getting past 2 ladies, and up the final hill to the finish.  Turned out I was still first lady image.  I fessed up to taking a wrong turn, but I'd clocked more distance and the marshalls who'd seen me were happy I'd taken a long cut rather than a short cut, so they decided to let the result stand.  

Looking forward to the half on Sunday - pb is 1.34.31 so it would be nice to beat that.