Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options
    old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Col: not sure enjoyed is quite the word I would use - up at 5.00am and home at 23.15 is a knackering day image  That's why I hope to come for 2-3 days at a time in future and try to time the visits with a race.

Freemers: I'm just a bit concerned that I took a photo of the passport etc with copy written underneath and not across - was wondering how fussy they are likely to be

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    O4S - don't think they will be fussy. As long as they can read the docs in terms of your DOB and address I reckon that will be fine.
  • Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

HI 2old, Nice 10k and pretty consistant splits.

Hi Freemers, I hope the injury is getting better?

Hi kfc, couple of my friends are just back from a HM in Reykjavik...they seem to like their running there. You're pretty full on just now?

Hi Pink, Hope you have got your betting strategy sorted??

Hi Barry, Fast MP run....you after 3:05?

Hi O4S, Sorry to hear on the injury, I hope it gets better soon...

Hi Ant, Hope the Lakes are good ;0)

For me, a busy week at work. I have managed to squeeze in some running and workouts. I have been alternating with a run one day and strength and conditioning in the gym the other. Just been keeping the running to easy/moderate so 7:30-45mm and things seem ok with the ITB. Last day at work on Monday and then I break up for a 3 week holiday, and  looking forward to a rest and some nice running in the Languedoc image

• Options

Hi Folks, quick check in, seems that all are busy!

kfc: Thats some schedule

Chick: The speed will return if you want it to.

2Old: I take it that you have been in Spain.

O4S: I hope that when you break out beyond the perimeter fence the sun will shine. Try rest its good!

Ant: The dark side is strong and I think you are lost to the dark forces.

Me, potholing around, cycling a lot, first male in the club handicap race on Thursday, 11K in 50-02 with a couple hundred metres of climbing thrown in so it would appear the after burners are not completely burnt out. If the race had been 300M longer I would have won, couldn't quite catch the winner. 

Off to Spain tomorrow for work so a running week coming up. 

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Good to see you, DD. Nice tough 11k there.

Great 10 k, 2old and very impressive parkruns kfc and col. I think going out like a scalded cat and then trying to hang on its the only way.

Enjoy your hols, Nell.

I got roped into a corporate 6k challenge on Thursday night (green face). We did this before with some fast runners from work and its hard. Some climbs and offroady bits make it rather painful. It's a stadium finish though which is great and there's free beer image
  • Options

Chick - free beer,  always good.

Nell - Nope, like I said my pacing ain't too good at the mo, still 3:15 target for me, I'll leave the speedy maras to you, 2old, Daren and Cooks.image

Swimming club last night and while better than last week still not great.

Parkrun for me this morning and happy days, still waiting for the official results but garmin splits 5:59, 6:23, 6:14,(5:51 for the .1) giving a 21 second PB of 19:09.  image  Had some teenager run past me at about half mile with a backpack and the biggest headphones, I was thinking WTF but he then stopped at the 1 mile point. image

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Wow, top stuff, Barry!! Glad the teenager stopped and didn't sprint to a 14 min finish timeimage
  • Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi DD, Enjoy Spain..if albeit working.

Hi Chick, 6K, interesting, that would sound a km too far when running at 5k speed!

Hi Barry, Absolutely super splits on the 5k, not feeling fast myself at the moment.....and I am nowhere near the other guys speed especially Daren image

Hi col, hope you sort out the 5k pacing. I suppose it is a hard one as I know I just tend to go for it, probably why I don't run many 5k's as I end up the same as yourself!

Out for 4 miles this morning started out first mile at 7:20, second and third at 7:00 & 7:06 and then last mile came down to 7:45. Intentionally came back on the track uphill to slow down (and take in the view across the Forth). Slowly getting back...

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

HUGE pb barry - brilliant!

Full on but pretty usual Nell - i like to race!  

DD - sounds like you shouldn't give up on the running yet 

I'll race anything for free beer chick!

Col - I always run fastest in 5k when I manage to negative split and not overcook the first mile, but its so hard to get right.  I find the best way to do it is to parkrun week after week, each week I get slightly better at feeling out the right pace.

Just over 5M trail run today in the mighty west sussex fun run league Downlands Dash.  Ended up 2nd lady, but nae prizes!  Damn it!  Very different vibe to last weeks Hackney half - when I finished this one the Karate demonstration was just ending, the waggiest tail section of the dog competition was being judged, and the morris dancers were warming up ready to wow the crowds.  

For some reason I had Bay City Rollers, Shangalang in my head the whole race.  Hope I shake that before my 20 tomorrow... 

• Options
    PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Ant there is a local sprint pool tri on in September & that's the one i'm eyeing up at the mo.

Chick I'm much better now thank you. Good running there

2Old congratulations on 10k. Ah thank you for the compliment. I'm swimming twice a week & have noticed a difference with my running. I'm now sprinting to that finish line where before I would be flagging badly after 13 miles. 

KFC Congratulations on the 5k & again for the trail 5k - 2nd lady, brilliant. Shame no bling for you though. Sounds like alot going on while you were running. Love the Bay City Rollers in your head.

Have a great holiday Nell

DD enjoy running in Spain

Swimming training for me Friday evening consisted of alot of kickboard training. Ran the Parkrun yesterday morning & finished with a PB of 28.15 on official results but I had 28.05. Will say at least 30 seconds or so off previous time, happy with that. Not much time to rest though as attended an Ultimate Fitness Camp yesterday afternoon. Circuit training followed by pool training & a talk on Nutrition. Great afternoon & really enjoyed it. Having a rest today & heading to see my family in Warwickshire which will be good as I haven't been for yonks! image

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Karate and Morris dancers, oh my!! Congrats on 2nd lady image

I managed 17.5 today. Horrendous downpour all night and all morning made for a hot and muggy midday run when the sun finally came out. But I survived.Longest since Boston image
  • Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Nice parkrun pink - thats a pair of massive PBs for both you and barry this weekend

Great long run chick - the world seems right again now you are back doing your usual massive mileage!

Did my 20, first 12M with BH so nice and slow, and a beautiful day out on the south downs.  Went a wee bit faster for the last few miles and felt good.  If I keep this up I should be able to get myself in PB shape for 2 months time.  image

Oh, and managed to shift the mighty bay city rollers out my head, but were replaced with a very catchy song about Chris Hoy that I've had problems with before.  I once cycled 4 days with this in my head... http://www.thehornesection.com/new-video-chris-hoy-loves-a-saveloy/

• Options

Chick/kfc - well done on the long runs.

kfc - Congrats on the second place.

My new 5K PB may have to stay unofficial, received the Parkrun results email, maybe expecting a second or so difference to my Garmin time, but was not happy to read time of 19:49 PB stays at 19:30imageimageimage.  I've fired off an email, the results look wrong for the 4 places ahead of me aswell so hopefully it will be corrected.

Better news I bought first "proper" road bike yesterday, I had popped in to my local bike shop on Tuesday to buy some brake pads for my hybrid and started chatting to the owner and the rest is history, so I've got a Felt Z95 2013 exactly the same as this years model but I think the matt black looks better and it was discounted  Practised yesterday afternoon clipping in and out and all good. So ventured out this morning on my usual 26 mile route and impressed, knocked 8 mins off my best time on my hybrid.  1 hour in the pool this afternoon.  

• Options
    col.col. ✭✭✭

Nell - you are getting some good runs in. Enjoy your hols.

Dubai Dave - tough sounding 11k. Enjoy Spain.

Chickadee - the free beer makes up for the pain of a 6k. Good work on the 17.5m run.

Barry -  smokin' parkrun time. Thats a massive pb over 5k. I hope they can sort out the results.

kfc - another great weekend from you- 2nd lady in a 5m trail race and a 20 mile run. Well done on both!

Thanks for all the advice on the 5k pacing.

I had a half marathon on Friday night. It's a fairly hilly course with a lot of uphill from 2 miles to just beyond the 4m point and then a mile long uphill at 10 miles. I started off with the 1:30 pacers and the plan was to try to stay with the group for as long as I could. We got to the top of the hills at about 4.5m  pretty much on pace and as I feeling good I decided to push on and moved slightly ahead of the pacers. This part of the course is undulating but with more downhill than uphill. I was now running by myself with the pacers about 15 seconds behind and the next group about 20 seconds in front. I got to half way in 44:48 and was running fairly consistent splits. My pace dropped off a bit on mile 10 and I could hear the pacers getting closer and about half way up the hill on mile 11 they came past. The big group had now came down to the 2 pacers and 2 others. They offered words of encouragement and I tried to dig in but they were soon about 15 seconds ahead. Just as I approaching the top of the hill 2 other runners caught me up but this time I was able to hang on to them. After the hill there is a downhill section for just over a mile. I worked with the other 2 guys and at mile 12 we realised there was still a chance of a sub 1:30. The 3 of us pushed on taking turns at the front and on my watch we clocked a 6:24 mile 13. It was then a dash for the line which I crossed in 1:29:23.     

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

KFC-that was a fast 5k.See you did the 20 even if its is too soonimage.Pity there was no bling for that 5 miler 2nd place.I hate it when that happens

DD-Ive not got to Spain yet but will soon.Enjoy your trip.Fast 11k there too

Barry-wow thatw as a fast Park Run and how frustrating about the timer? That looks like a major tech error to me. Nice new bike. You must be pretty confident of hammering 90 mins at the HM coming up

Nell-starting to speed up again nicely

Pink-yes another PB-keep knocking them out.

Chick-cant really call that a LR for you , its more like a long MLR

Col-congrats beating 90mins .You are mastering the hills and the bit of team work must have been enjoyable too

Uninpressive weekend for me Friday off, Saturday 8.3 miles, yestrday 23 miles on the bike. Still it keeps me ticking over

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi kfc, Well done on the 2nd place, 20 miles of the Bay City Rollers in your head.....ouch!
    Glad you removed it for your 20 mile run. Not sure which is worse though them or the Chris Hoy song :0)

Hi Pink, Busy Busy, well done on the PB ;0)

Nice long run Chick.

Hi Barry, Bad news on the timekeepers having a day off
    But good news on the bike :0)

Hi 20ld, Nice mix. I suppose you can't knock the miles out
    all of the time.image

I set myself a little test to see how the ITB was behaving. Saturday I had 4 miles with  7:20, second and third at 7:00 & 7:06 and then last mile 7:45. Sunday I ran 7 miles pretty much smack on at 7:20mm, apart from the last mile when I worked uphill for the last quarter of a mile and end up at 7:01 for that mile image. This morning I went out and ran 4 miles at 7:30-40mm. The aim was to see how the knee reacted over the 3 day period albeit on not so far a distance and intensity from when I was training earlier in the year. Glad to say that I had no problems from the knee, so the S&C seems to have paid off (although got to keep it up). Breaking up today and hoping to get in some good running on my hols image

• Options

Nell - Good news, hopefully your knee problems are sorted.

2old - Yeah 1:30 target for Sunday but see below.

Col - Great result on the lumpy HM, very well done.

10 miles for me this morning  3 x (1x slow 2x HM) 1 WD, splits for HM pace miles 6:49.6:47, 6:49 ,6:53,6:50 6:49 but did n't feel comfortable, maybe still got the weekend's excersions in my legs.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-pretty good splits even with the weekends efforts in your legs. I think it's the bike as I felt sluggish tonight. You're well on track for sub 90. Are you going to taper. It would be worth it 

Nell-glad you've got the itb  under control

16.5 miles tonight  7.49mm Planned at least 18 but legs very heavy and it was too hot. 

• Options

2old - Good pace on your run even though it was cut short.  I will taper running wise, so swam this morning, bike tomorrow, swim thurs, run 5 Friday morning, swim club friday evening and probably rest saturday 

Swimming lesson went really well this morning, I swam 8 lengths with 30 sec rest  all between 31 to 33 seconds, coach does n't think I need anymore 1 to 1 sessions for now but recommended an extra  club session.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-your swimming has really progressed and good length splits. Looking forward to seeing what you achieve on Sunday

Managed my weekly 2k swim-I need to do more!

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

col: congrats on a brilliant HM image. Respect to those of you pulling off such stellar times in evening races. I'm useless at evening running!

Barry: great splits, as ever. Take it easy between now and Sunday and you'll be flying.

Pink: I completely forgot to congratulate you on your parkrun PB image, so CONGRATS imageimageimage

11 miles for me this morning. That was hard - I stayed up till the wee hours to see the Germans qualifying for the quarter finals. Boy, what a boring game at times. I wish they'd got a move on and finished after 90mins image. Off to bed early tonight image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- your other German team (USA) plays tonight ..fingers crossed for Klinsman . I enjoyed last nights game from the start of the second half on. Well done toughing out those 11.  

• Options

Chick - well done on the 11.  Even though most of the favourites are just about getting through the world cup is showing that there isn't a lot of difference between the usual suspects and the emerging nations.

No reply to my emails to Parkrun, but they have admitted on their FB page that there were many problems with the timing on Saturday, someone commented "that they did well getting any results out" - what the wrong ones, as you can tell I'm not quite over it yet.image 

13  mile bike ride this morning off nights and averaged just under 17mph on a lumpy route (Swindon HM) thought I was going quick at one point until some bloke cruised past me and it seemed like he was n't even trying.

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Enjoy your bike Barry!  Shame about the results this time, but you'll just have to run a faster time next time round!

Nice teamwork with your rival runners for another swift sub 90 Col.

Sore foot today after wearing new trainers laced too tight yesterday on my run to work.  Feels like mild tendonitis, so gonna take a few days off til it goes.  Boo.

Heading home to Scotland to be a very proud daughter when my mum runs in the Glasgow 2014 queens baton relay through Dunblane on Saturday (O4S - if you are lurking, her trousers fit better than yours did).  Sad that I wont get to see any of Andys matches this time while I'm up there image.

Oh, and VLM GFA peeps - I've had my place confirmed now for 2015.

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Been awol again this week - catching up slowly! Nice parkruns Barry & pink....Barry - we'll believe you about your timeimage

Col - another great HM image

kfc - enjoy your trip home...it should be brilliant to see your mum in the relay image

Andy was pants, that's about all I can say!

Nothing from VLM yet - I think I'm up to about 11 working days since I applied and they said to allow 15....

I managed runs of 12 miles and 11 miles at the weekend. The 12 was great on the Saturday, the 11 was hard work on tired legs. Since then I have done a rather pathetically slow tempo session, and then have started to come down with a cold so am taking it easy. We're off to Oxford for a long weekend starting tonight (celebrating OH's birthday tomorrow) so I really hope the cold doesn't take hold. I feel pretty sh*t today though image
  • Options

Hi all!

Just a quick note to say that I have started to do Pilates and I'm not sure if I like it.  That's all.

Hope everyone is well.....

G

• Options
    old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Don't want to worry you Free but my cold started Monday and am still feeling ghastly today, just when we are heading off to the Tour De France - cottage in Yorkshire for a week.  X ray on my foot yesterday, possible stress fracture although I feel the pain is in the wrong place for that.  Had my retirement dinner on Tuesday [couldn't taste much] and now have £200 worth of vouchers for the local bike shop and my eye on a lightweight road bike.  Haven't actually retired yet, but dinner coincided with the end of University term so seemed a sensible time to do it.

No word from VLM and got my entry in earlier than Free, so starting to fret a bit, although part of me thinks a rejection might not be such a bad thing image

Ran a slow off-road 5 miles with the club on Monday after a gruelling 12 mile relay leg on Saturday, which I know I shouldn't have done - but team of 10 people doing the prestigious and very popular Cotswold Way 110 mile relay event so didn't feel I could let the rest of the team down.  Got caught in a torrential downpour at the highest point on my leg [2,000 ft of ascent - the hilliest leg] which turned the paths to sludge.  Didn't do my hamstring or my foot any good but at least I was well within the time limit - 20% of the teams were timed out on my leg image

Was driven back to Bristol in soaking wet clothes which probably didn'rt help me to fight off the cold.

Anyway no running for a week and I'll get the results of the X ray when I get back, which should tell me where I am

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Just this minute had the VLM email through image

O4S - doesn't sound like good news on the foot front...you really need to put your feet up now!
  • Options

kfc - hope the foot is nothing too serious, great news about your mum.  Shame about Andy Murray, I missed out putting some money on the other guyimage.  No point in running faster at the Parkrun they'll just give me a slower time, yeah I know get over it.

Freemers - Good news running wise, get well soon. Thanks, just frustrating that my PB is not recorded officially anywhere and even more frustrating they have n't replied to my emails, rather have no time than the wrong time, yeah I know get over it.

o4s - Back to normal for you, running while waiting for the results of an x ray.imageEnjoy the Grand Depart.

Cooks - How's the swimming going?

45 mins  for me in the pool this morning.

• Options
    col.col. ✭✭✭

Chickadee - well done on toughing out the 11 mile run

kfc - hopefully the few days rest will ease the foot. Great news about your mum.

Freemers - good running over the weekend. Enjoy your weekend away.

O4S - hopefully not a stress fracture. Take it easy until you get a proper diagnosis. Enjoy the tdf.

Barry - the cross training is working well for you. I am looking forward to see how the half marathon goes.

Track session on Tuesday night was 6 x 800m. Very hard work but these are the sessions I need to do to improve my 5k times. A very easy 40 minute run last night and resting up tonight with just the cycle commute home. I have a 10k race tomorrow evening. It has a few hills to tackle so definitely not a pb course. The target will be a sub 41.   

My VLM GFA came through the other day.