Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options
    old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Got my VLM confirmation after a 5 hour crawl up the motorway from Bristol to Burnley. Alcohol has made things look better - holiday now starts properly image

• Options
    PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Morning,

Nice song KFC. Enjoy your trip home & good luck to your mum

Nell good news for you

Thanks Chick. Nice run there for you. I'm not a footie fan but some of the matches have been good in this world cup.

Col well done on the HM

Free good runs from you & hope you feel better soon. Enjoy OH birthday celebrations & weekend away

Cooks keep trying the pilates, you'll enjoy it eventually

O4S Enjoy your trip & hope foot is ok. Do you run the Bristol HM?

There was a cock up with the Parkrun results, I still achieved a PB even if they correct my time (they were out by a few seconds) but I'm not moaning about it image

Swimming training was tough on Monday morning lots of kick work using fins & I still can't get used to them as I keep sliding in the pool when i'm stood up. Managed to go out running at lunchtime Tuesday. Should have tried to go out on the bike in the evenings but have been glued to Game of Thrones Series 4. One episode to go.

Running at lunchtime today & swimming training this evening. Looking forward to the Tour de France. Did offer to help at one of our properties in Yorkshire this weekend but they were inundated so I wasn't needed image

Looking forward to the Edgehill HM on Sunday which will definitely be a battle of trying to get a good finish time. At the moment i'm also working out a bet for myself & Barry. image

Good luck to anyone else racing this weekend

• Options

Hi Barry - Swimming is getting better, feeling more relaxed in the water and completing lengths far easier - going to attempt 2 lengths without stopping at the weekend, will be a big step for me!  Last week or so, I have been practicing breathing on both sides, I think a bit of progression with that & it will be time for a bit of coaching! Now really look fwd to it and don't feel too out of place in the early morning lane swimming.

Hi Pink - defo sticking with it, its obvious how weak/one dimensional I am..... Have been trialing a few different clases & Weds nights are the best, its a guy that takes the class and it is very beginner friendly, a lot of help to make sure doing it correctly.  & there are a couple of other men in the class, not so many strange looks!!

• Options

PS Bewl 15 for me on Sunday - more of a training run than racing it but hoping to still get a gold medal (top 100)....

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Enjoy the 15 miler, cooks.

Sorry to hear they didn't get to the bottom of the time cock-up at parkrun, Barry & pink.

Good news for the GFA posse image

Right, I did a double yesterday. 5 easy in the morning and then that awful corporate challenge thing in the evening. I was expecting to be pants and I didn't disappoint image. finish time 27:40 for 6k but the first 2k took me over 10 minutes due to congestion image. The way this race works is that 6000 people rock up and companies can choose to fork out about a fiver per person extra to stick their runners in the first pen. Which makes sense for the rocket men and women who battle it out for prize money. It makes a lot less sense for fun runners. No disrespect, but if people have to start walking after 1k it's a bit of a joke. The course is pretty undulating (about 300ft of ascent in total) and each time we hit a minor hill, the crowd slowed notably image.  We still made it into the top 10% of teams though image and I came in third for the team, 26th lady overall. The winning lady did 21:56!! And the guy 18:04 imageimage  he was East African though ...  I was never going to catch our 2 fast boys (who are sub 40 10k runners) so all in all an OK outcome, given I have not run any miles starting with a 7 since April ...

No running today, but I cycled to work (roughly 13 miles) coz it's such a nice day.

• Options

Cooks - well done on the swimming, kinda where I am sometimes successful with the 2 lengths sometimes not, but I'm only breathing to one side.   Good luck for Sunday.

Chick - The race does not sound fun, apart from the free beer,  but well done on your performance.

Col - Good luck with the 10K, are there any flat races near you?

5 miles slow for me this morning.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- definitely a fun run for you there - just a shame you dont do fun runs. Still can't beat race day atmosphere 

Barry- any HM taper madness this week? I can do bilateral breathing all day long in the pool but in open water it all falls apart!

Cooks- swimming and Pilates ? Going to take up tris?

Pink- don't forget to taper for Sunday 

O4S- ouch sounds painful 

looks like to VLM crowd is growing. Whose on the list so far? It might be my last if I don't renew my GFA 

Been to the lakes to celebrate our 31st???Anniversary so a little overindulgence took place. 40miles of varied running done plus a swim so far this week so a rest day tomorrow. Think I need to look for a race to do in the next few weeks. 

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Over-indulgence sounds good. Happy anniversary.

I just over- indulged too.... We sent the frogs home yay image. I think I'll have another beer nowimage
  • Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Foots still feeling tender, so more rest for me this weekend.

Good to hear from you Cooks

O4S - yep, I'm sure none of that helped.  Enjoy the grand depart - I was going to be in york, but important business to attend to in Scotland tomorrow!

On that note, if you take a look here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-28114731 at about 12:50 tomorrow, and spot a lady with gold crutches carrying a baton, thats me maw!

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    How did the relay go for your mum, kfc?

Wot an experience!!

Quiet time on here. Wonder what AA, carrot, minni and bro are up to? And Da ren has gone AWOL too ...

It's hot and humid here this weekend but I managed 6 yesterday and 17 today. Now taking it easy for the rest of the afternoon image
  • Options

hi guys, I'm still lurking, feeling like a bit of a fraud tho as i know Abo won't be a sub 3:30 attempt for me, it is going to be nice + slow but hopefully finishung uninjured! things had been going well back up to 12 miles, had a bad fall on Friday night tho and the bad knee took most of the brunt, swollen up so no running this weekend.

nice to keep up with everyone's training, i'm sure once the autumn marathons get closer it will pick up on here image

• Options

2old - No taper madness thanks.

kfc -  Hope you had a great day with your Mum.

Chick - Good running from you, yeah bit warm here aswell, I think Minni and Brol  were planning on doing the Thunder Run. Your Team are looking good, Brazil have n't been great and without Naymar I think you will be in the final v Argentina.

Kiwi - Keep at it, you are doing well,  just think where you were a few months ago, running 12 miles is great progress, and Abo is still a while away.

Edgehill HM today, and it's the hardest HM I have done, lovely setting at start/finish Compton Verney country house.  Course  has a big hill at start and finish and the rest is best described as rolling(thought I was doing one of Col's races.image)  A warm start at 09:30 that got warmer.  Splits 6:41,6:19,6:40,6:50,7:01,6:57,6:57,6:49,6:42,6:43,6:55,7:28,6:32,5:52(last bit)

Middle part of the race was a real struggle, one of my major concerns with my reduced running regime was losing some speed endurance. But managed to dig deep, took a gel at 6 miles and was taking on water at every stn, some drunk but most on my head.  Last hill was hard work and made worse on the down bit being sent down a side lane for 50 metres and back(I guess to make up distance) but lost the downhill momentum.  Thought I'd blown sub 1:30 but kicked on hard and finished in 1:29:15(garmin 6:48 avg) official race time 1:29:13, so very happy with result. Very nice tech t shirt.  Don't think I'd run it again as I said it is the hardest HM I have done and if I did I think it would be by myself.image

• Options
    PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

KFC hope you've had a good rest & a great time with your mum

Chick It is quiet on here but i'm sure they'll be back

Nice to hear from you Kiwi

Well I had a mare. Hated it & will definitely not run it again. I hit the wall at 5 miles & just didn't want to carry on. I finished by walking & running the last few miles. one of my last miles was at 14mm which I have never done & I finished in 2.19 but not really bothered that I finished. I'm writing it off as a bad day at the office image The wine is chilling in the fridge

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- job done! Sub 90 in the bag and a tough one at that. Next one will be easier. Interesting splits which show how hard you had to work

Pink- don't let it get to you ...enjoy the wine....these experiences make you stronger next time 

kiwi- hope the knee is ok. We need you at Abbo

Chick- Good running ...you earnt the afternoon rest 

Quick trip to London to see Wolf Hall - brilliant!  and a nice 8.4 miler down to Battersea and back Today. 

• Options

Hi y'all!

2old - re tris, yes I am harbouring ambitions of donning a lycra gimp suit at somepoint image 

Barry - managed 2 lengths unaided on Fri night, really pleased.  The breathing both sides thing will take a while tho......

2 good 'races' at w/e, neither fast but both well paced being the overtaker and not the overtook.  Royal TW ykw on Sat - finished 3rd in 20.15 (it's not a fast course) and the 15 miler I clocked 1.49 something & a pb, which was a bit ahead of expectations given that I haven't done any hillwork.  2 good days at the office! image

• Options
    col.col. ✭✭✭

kfc - I hope your mum enjoyed the occassion

Chickadee - a big mileage weekend from you. I think it could be a Gemany v Argentina final

Kiwi - great progress. I hope the hurt knee is just a temporary setback

Pinklady - well toughed out. We all have races like that. You will bounce back!

Cooks -nice racing double. That's a good time for the 15 mile race

Barry - fantastic performance. You must be chuffed to bits with the sub 90. It does sound a bit like some of my races!

I had a 10k race on Friday evening. It's a 2 lap course with a few short uphills and a longer gentle downhill section. I finished in 40:32 with splits of 6:29, 6:30, 6:31, 6:48, 6:39, 6:17 and 5:41 for the last 0.22m.The 3rd mile is the most disappointing as it's mainly flat with a bit of downhill. Overall though I am happy enough and finished strongly.     

• Options
    old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Blown away by 2 days spectating at the TdF. We were on Cote du Cray (!) and Cragg Vale.  Unbelievable atmosphere, crazy number of cyclists on the road. Loving the yellow sheep. image

No wi-fi at cottage - back sometime!

• Options
    PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

2old I hope so. I a bit more optimistic today

Nice one Col.

Enjoy O4S

One highlight of the weekend apart from Tour de France starting, Brazil vs Columbia match was swimming training. We were drafting in the pool & doing 360 turns to find our bearings to sprint finish - great fun.

Rest day today as didn't want to go swimming this morning. Coach is allowing me to tag onto an early morning session tomorrow so I will be at the pool with my kit bag for 6am image

• Options

Waits for the tumbleweed to go past.image

Cooks - Well done on the not raced races.

Col - Very decent 10k, any flat ones races coming up?

1 hour swimming on Monday practising breathing every four to the right and attempting to the left but not great.  Hour slow on the treadmill last night, bit of a struggle, legs still tired from Sunday and very warm.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- yes it is quiet. Long swim session yestrday by you...looks like its coming together .Didnt know you used a TM?

Cooks -good racing .

Col-nearly sub 40-next one will be the one

O4S-enjoy your isolation now the TDF has gone

Chick-hows the head after your World Cup celebrations last night?

Not much to report -my LR on Monday turned into 5.5 with 4 bang on 7mm and yestrday my weekly 2k swim and a 30k bike session. Back bit sore today.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

love the tumbleweed image

Head is fine coz I didn't drink image we are going away for the weekend so I needed to get some miles in early doors (managed 12) but I'm veeeery tired now as I only had 3 or 4 hours kip last night image.

Rest assured, alcohol will be involved in the final image

Nice running col and cooks image

• Options

2old - Yup, bought a tready earlier this year mainly for the winter but youngest has been using it a lot.  First time on it yesterday, due to it hammering it down outside, don't think it's calibrated as 8 min miles seemed a lot quicker or maybe me just tired. Good training from you, back sore from the bike?

Another hour in the pool this afternoon, Long session but not a long distance covered.image.  Came 13th in Sunday's HM but 5th in age group, why is the V40 cat so competitive? Can't wait til i'm 50.image

• Options
    PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Chick great match last night - I was going to go to bed but with 5 goals scored early on I stayed up to watch the rest. Good luck for Sunday & enjoy weekend away.

Swapped swimming training to Tuesday morning which did me the world of good. It was great fun which was great for me as it helped me regain my confidence after a rubbish HM. Drafting was on the agenda again.

No running from me as decided to rest this week & only swim. Looking at maybe the Parkrun for the weekend. Back to running training next week.

I was 171st on Sunday - knew it was bad when I was offered an ice pop en route & stood eating it when normally I would have carried on running. At least I got to the finish - just image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Looks like I'm out if the game again- back injury has returned and even worse so has the knot in my left calf. cant run at all. at the moment image

• Options

2old - oh no, hope a speedy recovery!

Just to say a happy weekend everyone, I have a threshold session planned for tonight at the local beer fest, hopefully my stamina will see me through! image  ykw tomorrow morn should be interesting!!

• Options
    col.col. ✭✭✭

2old - bad news. Hope you recover quickly.

Pinklady - good luck at the parkrun tomorrow

Barry - all being well I plan to do a flat 10k in September.

Cooks - enjoy the beer fest. Good luck at parkrun in the morning. 

With no races this week I have been able to get a decent week's training in. Parkrun in the morning.  

• Options

2old - Shit news, back caused by the cycling?

Cooks/Col -  Go smash the parkrun or go there smashed.image

No training for me yesterdayimage due to over 12 hour shift at work, but making up for it today, this afternoon 13 mile blast on bike at just under 18mph(best avg yet) and then 3 miles on the tready and swimming club tonight.

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Great half Barry.  You and Col seem to be going sub 90 so often now its just not news any more.  OK, OK - I'm clearly just jealous!

Pink - you'll get the half performance you deserve soon, somedays it just doesnt happen!

Nice racing Cooks.  Try and keep your ykw course vom free...

Must have been awesome O4S - I saw it go through at Blackfriars bridge on Monday. Not Yorkshire, but still pretty cool.

I seem to be having my customary pre marathon lapse, a mix of resting sore foot and being too damn busy has kept me from training for over a week now.  Off for 6 days of bike touring tomorrow, so unlikely to run again til next week...  Why do I always do this?!  Oh well, looking forward to a bastille day ride up Ventoux!

• Options
    PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

2Old Sorry to hear that, just what you don't need - hope it's sorted for you soon image

Cooks & Col good luck with the YKW today

KFC enjoy the bike tour

Haven't run all week as decided to rest. Swimming training last night consisted of using our fins again, I really have trouble staying to stay stood up in them which was funny. Good to see Barry moved up a lane & they joined in with us for part of our training.

Not YKW today as thought I will try & get time out on the bike later on today. Running training plan starts on Monday.