Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options

Happy Birthday, O4S. Oooh, I hate that "my kid is sick leave" thing too image. Luckily, the 2 girls I work with don't have kids either, so we are fine. Yeah, I'm a mean child hater image image

Sarah: those times are fantastic. You will smash 3:30. I did and my times over the shorter distances are way slower than yours image. Once your forum page is up and running, please post a link on here.

Right, will go and sign up for Jantastic now.

It has just started to snow here image. This morning it was minus 3 and all the rain from last night had frozen over. I still managed a 90 minute run. Deliberately ran naked as I had to pay massive attention to those black ice patches.

• Options

Sarah - I've never thought about doing two marathons so close together. A fair number on here have done them a month or so apart, and I'm not sure it's really been that successful - so if you do it then the charity way might be the best option.  Also, on the assumption you get your GFA time in Paris you won't need to defer your VLM place anyway as you can use the GFA for 2014....actually thinking about it, if you got your GFA in VLM this year, then that will also qualify for 2014 as they last for two years. So either way you are sorted. image

• Options

Sarah- like the others said- your pbs look good for a crack at 3.30.  Very nice 5k time!image Don't worry about getting everyone confused, it took me a while to get my head around who's who.image I look forward to reading your 150 words.

Ant- nice speedy intervals there!

Minni- what's the reason behind your doubles?  Is it purely to up the mileage or something else?

Free- hope the leak is fixed and you can get your run in today. 

Barry- nice 6 miler, glad to see you're slowing downimage

Old4S- which half mara are you doing?

2cm of snow this morning (all gone by now) which obviously resulted in total meyhem on the trains.image Being from Poland I find this very difficult to comprehend.image 6m planned for tonight. 

• Options

Minni - are you getting an internal server error when you try and change your forum name? I'm getting one - in fact I wanted to update some of my other details and get the error every time.  I've posted a thread on the website bugs section...

• Options

Freemers/Minni - Santa will only let you change your names if you've been good this yearimage. have you?

• Options

Yeah I've uploaded the runs for Team Minni - I'm a much more reserved 5 runs. Minni - 7 runs! That must include doubles I presume?

Brolish - I grew up in Luxembourg and was also staggered by the UK's inability to deal with snow - but then I found out that they get the wrong type of snow here image

2Old - take care of that calf! Doesn't look like you took too much rest. 

Sarah - GFA for over 40s men is 3:15 - it maybe be more challenging that you ladies have, but it is definitely a motivation to do better image

• Options
    sarah osborne 4 wrote (see)
    I was told it was rather muddy and tough last year! 

Last year was the least muddy year it's been in ages!

Dubai Dave wrote (see)

copy whatever Minni does and you will be fine!

Yep - just go for your run at 4am every morning!!! image

• Options
    Brolish wrote (see)

2cm of snow this morning (all gone by now) which obviously resulted in total meyhem on the trains.image Being from Poland I find this very difficult to comprehend.image 6m planned for tonight. 

Bro - Couldn't all the Polish workers bring the trains aswell, I'm sure they would work better than ours?

Any chance you can give us a heads up of your travel plans over the festive period, just so we know where to avoid ( not that your jinkst or anything )image.

Ant - Yes and even when your 59 you still have to run sub3:15 to get a GFA at VLM. But they're very kind if you're 60, as it's only 3:20image

• Options

Minni- I have put 6 runs on Jantastic, one of the weeks I will be skiing each day,does that count as a run or shall I take my off road trainers?

Welcome to the thread Sarah, Good luck with the Asics comp, I got the privilege of winning the forum 6 this yearimage My marathon time last year was like yours 3:45, and through the forum 6  being mentored by The Master Shaggy(we still miss you) my time in London was 3: 29, so 3:30 is doable. If you don't get through either competition then just stay on here, knowing that everyone here sees your training and results really pushes you.

2old/2old for xmas- I hope your sat down and resting that calf!

O4S- Happy birthday for yesterday. Good luck in your half on Sunday.

I trained with my club on Monday(First training session for a year!)I said I wanted a tempo run and that is exactly what I got! 6.38m @ 7:08mm.

I have a 10k race on the 16th December any ideas on how I should taper for it??

• Options

Simon- lolimage. No travel plans for the festive season so would advise to stay away from Londonimage.

Gazelle- I have also put down 6 days and you just reminded me that I will be snowboarding for 10 days in Januaryimage. I have made sure that there is a treadmill in the hotel and Mr B has been warned...  So what I'm trying to say is that I don't think skiing every day counts...image. Tapering for 10k?  I just wouldn't do any speedwork from Tuesday onwards... What is the target speedster?image Nice tempo session!

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

1M run done - no calf stiffness image   I've got a long way to go, but its nice to be back out there.

Sarah - those pbs suggest a good sub 3:30 with the right training.  I've been running marathons since 2006, and do lots of other sports too.  I've belatedly discovered its a good idea to do long runs in marathon training...   I'm currently trying to kick my body into action after 5 months off, aiming for sub 3:30 in VLM (Pb 3:31).

ant - Game on!

• Options

I've signed up too. I was tempted to put 7 runs but what with winters normally being very hard in Nothern Germany I'm not sure I could manage doubles. I may up the ante for March and put 7 or 8 then, including some doubles. I wish it could be spring now image

• Options

Yeah cheers kfc - looks like the sub-20 is on! 10 days and counting, good to hear the calf is mending

Simon - re the GFA - all the London GFA times are a little soft if you compare them to NY or Boston. I wouldn't be at all surprised if London tightened it all up as well. NY for example has the female senior time as sub 3:10, and the male senior time as sub 2:45. Ouch!

• Options

My Half is AVR (Wiltshire).  Wasn't planning on a taper even for that distance, never mind 10k.  Obviously that is why I never cracked 3.30 image

Simon - when Mr O4S was 60+ GFA was 'only' 3.30 for VLM, 4 hours for 65+ now, so a very big difference.  My GFA is around 2 days I think!!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Trying not to panic about skiing holidays wrecking Jantastic ....

Brol - my double today is because I can't fit 11 in tonight. I'll probably be doing more doubles this time round for that very reason.

7 runs per week over 6 days. I like a day off!

Asics voting is now open. Sarah you've got my vote. image also DS2 from the sub 3:30 thread years back and now regular in the sub 3:15 thread is through to voting. Another great one to support with similar times to many of us.

I can't post a link from my phone - will do it tonight if nobody else does first.
  • Options

I voted too! Hope Sarah and DS2 win the competition image

• Options
  • Options

Will get my votes in for both.

Gazelle, 10k not really a taper, I dont do anything different earlier in the week, speed session is good for confidence, then easy run(s) thursday or the other days you do, rest Friday. Saturday an easy run, but I like to do a few intervals, say 2 or 3 x 1/2s to remind legs of the speed, then rest easy. Racing flats?

Chic, Well done 90 minutes running naked in -3 degrees. practising for a long January winter streak? image

2old, rest for that calf. Have you seen a physio? Can't remember how far out of Liverpool city centre you are, but my physio is wonderful, has looked after many olympic and serious athletes like yourself, if something not right she will spot it easily. State of the art million pound facilities can't be wrong, and only £30-35 for you to go

O4S A belated happy birthday. I see BA has spoilt you again... no 5 course meal and champagne then? Sausage Dinner even?

• Options
    Ant P wrote (see)

Simon - re the GFA - all the London GFA times are a little soft if you compare them to NY or Boston. I wouldn't be at all surprised if London tightened it all up as well. NY for example has the female senior time as sub 3:10, and the male senior time as sub 2:45. Ouch!

Boston qualifiers are often softer than London GFA though, particularly for middle-aged blokes.  But that's because Boston is qualifying-only, and has 20,000 places to fill compared with a few thousand GFA at London.

You lot should have a thread outing there one day.

• Options

Get this...still no hot water at my normal gym but there is another branch just a few minutes walk away so I went there.  Nice run, stretching, bit of foam rolling, planks all lovely...then went to shower and guess what - their hot water was off too!! No notice about it in reception when I arrived, and when I left (after a very quick cold shower) they just said "oh yes, it's been off a few hours". Really not happy image Except that I did at least run - 6 miles @ average 7.30s image

Gazelle - nice tempo run there...and I agree no need for a real taper for a 10k, just do more easy stuff than quality. the week before.

I'm probably a bit conservative for my Jantastic 5 runs a week target. I expect I'll do 6 most weeks - but I know the first week I'm on holiday and will probably take an extra rest day that week, so didn't want to risk not getting them all in.

• Options

Afternoon all,

A quick tale of last night's eventful club run...

We were all huddling around the radiators in the club before venturing out into the cold for last nights 5.2 miler, when a cheerful new face appears around the door and after a quick chat with our coach, was unfortunate enough to be paired with me  for the run. I started to suspect that something might be out of the ordinary when she mentioned that she was training for a couple of 100 mile ultras that are coming up soon!!!image

So beforehand, i made my usual excuses for being shit... Injury... Blah, blah... Dodgy knees etc... etc...So we set off and were having a good gossip and our nice, friendly "newbie" casually slips into the conversation that she has completed three Iromans including World Champs in 2009 and has an IM pb of 9hrs something!!!imageimageimage

Managed to finish the 5.2 miles feeling very inferiorimage but thankfully uninjured.image

On the Jantastic subject, i've registered for Team Minni, but haven't commited to anything further yet until i start to get semi running-fit again.

Lastly, i saw the physio this morning who did a thorough evaluation and said that although i'm "fairly" bio-mechanically efficient (stuff you Mr John Allen physio man!), the reason i get so many injuries are mainly down to small patellas and shallow knee pits, so my kneecaps move a lot more than is the norm and cause the other (various) mishaps. Therefore i am now officially one of the trendy crowd, as he has recommended that i try k-tape everytime i run so as to limit the lateral patella movement.image 

Good luck Sarah, count on my vote. 

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Minni - thanks for spreading the word, it is really appreciated. I've started a new thread Vote DS2 if anyone wants to know a bit more about me. Sorry, if it's a bit long!

For those that have voted already, thank you!image

• Options

I didn't have time to read the life histories but I have voted for the best looking people. I'm not saying who.....

• Options

OK then, I voted for Sarah & DS2 image

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks Spoons. Much appreciated and all that!

Can't believe how serious I am getting in wanting to win this. Just binned my annual night out in London with my old hockey mates on the basis that I need to train tomorrow!

• Options

I had to double back in this thread to make sure which Sarah (sarah O) I was voting for, but done and you too DS2, good luckimage.

• Options
    DS2 - what group are you in?

Sarah - voted. I hope I voted for the right one ...

Speed sesh for me today. 6x700s on the tready image
  • Options

Anyone notice the first timer on the asics 26.2 going for sub2:20, fast b*stardimage

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I noticed that and wondered if it was a typo!!
  • Options
    Don't think it's a typo - he also says he wants to qualify to run the marathon for Wales at the Commonwealth Games...makes you wonder why he needs this competition, surely he has a good coach already if he is that good a runner? I didn't vote for him, on that basis alone!