Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options

Simon - Does the F*rman schedule include lampposts?image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Lol!

Oompa - remind me again what your HM and marathon PBs are?
  • Options
    Oompa - Oh yes, bollards, lamposts no problem. I think I'll try Mr Z's head plant at work tomorrow, as we have swipe cards on our doors lol.
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Minni- nice LR or was it a nature trail? Looking at those posted splits its noticeable how disciplined you are with each session . A good lesson for us all

Chuck- nice to be back. 80 miles is epic and Bro agreeing with you suggests she really means miles not KMs . I can taste your baking here.

Oomp- another good run - you are putting your injury behind you

DD- not bad run for a sicky

O4S - hope they nail thAt problem soon

Sarah- thanks for the top re photos but what if you don't do Facebook?

Squeezed in an 8.1 mile run in exactly an hour earlier making 14 for the week , not many but it did take me to 1858 for the year , the most ever in a year for me. That's the equivalent to a month for O4S and two for Bro
  • Options
    2old - Did your calf behave it's self today?
  • Options

Don't accidents normally come in  3's, Zuvai banged his head,  Simon had a tumble, who's next or does Spoons and Daren  banging heads count.image

Sarah  listen to  Minni,  I always doimage, she talks sense, so much so she should be  a mentor.  Nice 12 miler if a little quick.

Spoons -   did you make it out?

DD  good effort on the HM all things considered.

Chick -  Monster mileage.

Minni -  Nice long one, you ready for Homeland tonight , only 3 left.

OOmpa -  Good pace on your run, sometimes it is hard to run slow, I find it hard running slower than 8:20's even if I try, unless it's the last three of a marathonimage,   what's your mara target?

Busy weekend, no runningimage, flying trip to Blackpool yesterday and in work today, back on it tomorrow, 5 days of slow running, promise.

• Options

Well I made it out for a run but it wasn't pleasant. 10 miles in the wind along the coastal path getting battered by waves as the tide was right in. Everything ached from the start and only got worse.

Simon - hope you're OK - sounds painful

Sarah - are you on an iPhone?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Barry - I can't wait for Homeland! What's going to happen tonight...? Please will everyone who watches it watch it tonight do we can discuss...?!

Spoons - you drunken bum! Glad you got done miles in today. Remember there's no room for hangovers in Jantastic!

DD - out again already?! I'm sure you could have taken another couple of days off.

After my run I walked the dogs for a couple of miles and got really cold. Then spent the rest of the day helping my sister move house and I'm not chilled to the bone. That means red tonight - great for warmth! image
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Simon- yes it did thanks. How are the bruises?

Barry - I'm with you. Can't run slower that 8.30 and that's a warm up pace. That's probably why I get injured. So how slow will your slow ones be?

Spoons- just think how easy it will be running in March after that character building session .
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    58 miles banked this week. image
  • Options
    M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

a great read - slightly gutted she's announced her retirement this week - her achievements have been criminally under sold by the media

has she inspired you enough to join the darkside?? image

Mr Z- totally agree about her being under sold by the media.  What an amazing woman, I want to be her! Lol, yes, it made me think about possibly joinig the darkside one dayimageimage

Spoons- well done on getting the run in when hangover, believe me I know the feeling.

5m easy done @ 8:20. I think some red would be in order now.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Brol - what has the week got in store for you? Are you going to start upping the miles again? Have you given any thought to London - what might be a target time etc.
  • Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

58 miles minni?  Pah – I’ve bagged 2 whole miles this week with a long run of 1 whole mile!  Urrgh.

Becs – congratulations!

O4S – belated happy bday.  You’ve not been feeling 100% for a while right?  Hope the tests find whats up.

Chick – hope all OK with your mum now

Oompa – I love doing halfs as marathon build up – usually do 3, but 2 weeks before?  I reckon that’s too risky unless you just jog it.

DD hungover?  I think that’s the first time I’ve seen that happen!

Simon – eek!

Gazelle – you asked a while back why I had 5 months off – I got anaemic in March thanks to working way too hard and not looking after myself.  My crazy busy time at work continued to September so I cut out all training as I wanted to stay as healthy as possible. That project has ended now so as well as getting back into the running, I’m trying hard not to be employed for the next few months so I can recharge!

Just set my mum up on my turbo trainer.  She broke her leg in August (suppose I should call her BL image ) and really wants to get back on her bike.  Hopefully it will help her get some movement and fitness back - she had a big smile on her face when she realised she could cycle on it!

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

I’ve been thinking a lot about my plan for VLM this year and given where I’m starting from the biggest challenge is to get to the start line without getting injured.  Given this, I’m going to go for a low run mileage plus cross training.  Haven’t yet fully sketched it out, but the key elements will be:

• Run 3 times a week – 1x long run, 1x tempo and 1x speed session
    • Long run to build really gradually from 1M this week up to a longest run of 20M 3 weeks before VLM.
    • I won’t start doing the faster sessions until I feel confident I can do 3x 4M runs a week without getting injured. (I’ve never done speedwork before so will be asking for advice when I start doing this!)
    • Cross training will be mostly long slow bike and swims for aerobic base. 
    • I’ll top it all off with lots of stretching and core work, and maybe some sports massages

So pretty different to what a lot of you guys will be doing image.  (You could even say that it’s a bit F*$£&%! – shhhh!)   If I manage to get through it uninjured I think there’s a good chance I’ll be in shape to target sub 3:30 – distance wise my training won’t be too different to when I ran 3:31.  

I’ve also got a few ski touring and mountain biking trips planned which will be great for cross training, but it will be hard to fit in too much running so I need to be able to be flexible. 

I’ve registered for Jantastic on a target of 3 runs a week – hopefully achievable.

I know theres a lot of knowledge here about coming back from time off running – as always appreciate any wisdom people wish to share!

• Options

Some great running gang, you would think there was a marathon or something in the horizonimage

Chick - did you do 80 MILES?!  wow, you are more than a machine!

Minni - 58 miles is solid, you are on your way into serious marathon training.

Kfc - sounds like you've given serious thought to your marathon campaign, wishing you all the best to make it through injury free!

Feeling really lazy and realising I would have started marathon training this week, had it not been for the knee problems and my now state of total non fitness (whispers -  didn't do any running myself this week and also didn't make it to the gym...)  but I did discover another delicious NZ Sauv to share with you all - Nobilio Limited Release, very tasty and currently half price at Coop image

• Options

Well I did the half marathon today, abandoning the last vestiges of common sense I had.  Actually I wanted to make sure BA did it and he would never have found the start without me along, so as I was going anyway and had paid [!!] I thought I could just jog round and get a few miles in without putting any pressure on my chest.

As a result I didn't wear either a garmin or a watch and just decided to start slowly and see how I felt.  The only worry was that is a pretty hilly course and most of my problems have been on hills.  Very windy and cold and no indoor shelter at the venue, which was in a small village somewhere in Wiltshire.  Set off near the back and slow, but soon started passing people who were even slower.  No sudden accelerations just a nice steady run that felt comfortable.  Feeling pretty good and passed a load more people up the first hill - again just stretched out a little and kept it smooth.  Up a one mile hill, again passing people as I went. then a welcome flat section and a steep down, inevitably followed by a steep up.  I backed off a bit here, but then it all started to flow nicely again and before I knew it I was at 10k, where there was a clock saying 50.36 [there was a timing mat so this was an official time].

Desperately trying to do the maths I realised that I was feeling comfortable at 8.06 average despite the hills!  Another one mile hill up to the 7 mile point, again passing people although I could feel myself slowing.  Down to a drinks station followed by a long grind uphill to 9 miles on a road with mud and water flowing down to greet us.  Still passing people, something odd going on here........

Then the last four miles were downhill / flat with just one gentle incline and a railway bridge to cross - we even got a tailwind in the last couple of miles.  I was certainly starting to feel it but got to the end in a respectable [if unspectacular] 1.47.26, so around 8.12 average overall.  They announced me on the run in as the winner of the FV60 image

BA was pretty fed up as he was 6  minutes behind and I'm the one supposed to be sick - all sympathy and support has now been withdrawn!! image

Very nice trophy and my good vet friend won the M60 in 1.27 [BA was 4th in the category about 25 minutes later!!]

• Options

I was pretty pleased all round as I didn't think I was in that shape and even better I ran to how I felt with no pace indicator apart from the 10k clock.  It was 30 seconds faster than Swindon, which most people said was about the same level of difficulty as most were getting around the same time - so looks like I may not have lost too much image

Sarah - could be a good call on the whooping cough, I never had it as a child, despite having jut about everything else except mumps [I even managed measles and German measles twice each]

KFC - sounds like a sensible plan, I am going for 4 runs a week on Jantastic with 1 x long, 1 x tempo, 1 x speed and 1 x 'make it up as I go along'.  I am going to use the cycling in place of recovery runs.

Well done all those who got out - it isn't going to get any easier by the look of the forecast!

• Options
    Kfc - 3 runs and 2x non weight bearing x-training a week is exactly what the F plan is. Add the book to your chrimbo list. You can always talk to Daren and myself about hehe

Kiwi - Glad to hear your healthy, that's the main thing.
  • Options
    X-post with O4S. Great race and report seeing as you're poorly. Yes BA must be well pissed, when you keep beating him even poorly.
  • Options

O4S, 1st F60 image and all not while feeling very well. Hope you can find out what's wrong with you soon.

Chick, 80 miles, blimey!

KFC will be watching your come back with interest as it's roughly what I'd like to do when knee is better although I'm planning to stick to shorter races for a bit.

Barry B wrote (see)

Don't accidents normally come in  3's, Zuvai banged his head,  Simon had a tumble, who's next or does Spoons and Daren  banging heads count.image

It was me image. Was out with OH's 7 year old and trying to burn off some of his energy so we were playing a game where he'd say what speed he'd go and we'd both then charge off at that speed. He'd just said "fast" so I was trying to keep up with him as he ran under a metal barrier designed to make people get off their bikes. I ducked and kept running, but not enough and SMACK! Top of head right into the metal bar and onto the floor in floods of tears with an anxious little boy standing over me saying "shall we phone Dad?" image Had to hastily pull myself together and quite releaved no one else was around to see me. 

So hopefully the rest of you are now safe as I managed to combine Zuvai's head bang with Simon's run in with street furniture. Now have an ice pack on the lump that's emerging plus quite a headache.

• Options

O4S- you are one amazing lady.  Very well done and hats off for running it in the first place..

Becs- oh, no...lol! Hope the head is ok.imageimage

KFC- good luck with the plan, sounds like you've given it a lot of thought.  Will follow your progress with much interest.

Minni- still awaiting next week's schedule (breathless with anticipation)image I think the general idea is to get back to proper training next week and start upping the mileage. From what I understand we'll be doing more miles this time round with more speedwork (shorter and harder intervalsimage) and generally being more adventurous (alarm bells ringing)... Can't wait!

• Options

80 miles chick! Already?! That's some mileage. Back to these 20s. I would do 5 x 20 if I was doing 80-100 miles a week As well. My mileage is more like 50-60 at the maximum.

• Options

PS back fro the XC run today in St Albans. Tough tough tough. Then went for afternoon tea that appeared to involve drinking quite a lot of very nice red wine. Recoverytastic.

• Options

Ant - nice recovery

O4S - awesome as ever!

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    O4S- truly amazing and inspiring racing. Why do I moan over nothing?

Minni- I agree with Kiwi her weekly total puts yours in the shade....not. Building a solid base upon a pretty concrete foundation of the last few months. Are you building up to 70 odd peak ?

Kiwi- like the sound of your Sav Blanc

Looks like I'm going to be miles behind a lot of you ladies here in the VLM build up. Feeling the pressure already.
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Becsa - mind your head!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

O4S - imageimageimageimageimage  What can I say?!! As Spoons says, awesome as ever! image

Sounds like a plan kfc.

Thanks for the wine tip Kiwi.

Brolish wrote (see)
    Minni- still awaiting next week's schedule (breathless with anticipation)image I think the general idea is to get back to proper training next week and start upping the mileage. From what I understand we'll be doing more miles this time round with more speedwork (shorter and harder intervalsimage) and generally being more adventurous (alarm bells ringing)... Can't wait!

I was told, 'we will do something exciting on Tuesday'.  I was all excited thinking it was maybe going to be meet for a drink or similar.  image However, on looking at my schedule that actual translates to, 'I'm going to give you a session to finish you off for good while I sit in my armchair eating chips'.  image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

2old - No way I could fit 70 mpw in.  Just not enough time.  I wouldn't think I'll be much over 60.   And to be honest I don't think there's any need.  What I need to work on (similar to Brol) is speed and I'm expecting 2 such session a week.

• Options

Minni- I've got mine.  Oh dear... I think we mean business this time.  Back to around 55m next week with a bookend sess on Tuesday (looking horrendous from where I'm sitting)  and a 7.5m xc on Saturday (I did ask for it...)imageimage.