Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options
    AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I had a good run yesterday morning - 14 miles on a new and very hilly route. It was a really nice morning and I managed to keep up a good pace despite having been to my running club's Christmas party the night before. I made a point of doing the last four miles at my PMP (although maybe it's a bit early to be doing this?), and averaged about 8:15 per mile overall, so although I haven't really started my "proper" training for the VLM yet I'm feeling in reasonable shape.

• Options
    Welcome to Sarah and Andy.

I'm still not keeping up with postings always at least a few pages behind should catch up in next few days.

Had my best week training since the stroke (10 weeks ago) 3 swims 2 turbo trainer sessions and a run all about 45mins. Will be cut back week this week as I'm just about to go into theatre for my pfo closure in the next hour.

Good to see all the talk of training plans for next year, as long as it goes well today my 30 week IM plan starts 1st feb.
  • Options
    Freemers wrote (see)

I was listening to the interview on last week's MT, with Chris Fulcher - previously 18 stone drug addict, no running or exercise....7 years later, aged 45, clean, a lot lighter and has a 2.48 marathon PB image Very inspiring. Makes me think about joining minni and others on the wagon...

I was thinking something similar but doing it backwards. I'm planning on being an 18 stone drug addict that does no exercise.....

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Team Minni On The Wagon...?? The very thought has me reaching for the bottle. It would be harder than Jantastic.
  • Options
    ST- all the best, hope the op goes well. Glad to hear you're back training. Keep us updated!
  • Options
    This thread moves so fast now. Sorry if I've skipped a few pages!

Congratulations becs. Happy for you image

ST - great to see you recovering well and had a good week.

What the hell is everyone on the wagon for in December?? Have I missed that much?! But I do like the idea of the dryathlon. Would be a tough ask. Most I've ever done is 20 days in January..about 10 years ago!

Not much to report from me. Got 5 runs in last week and coming down with a cold today image
  • Options

Minni -  Did n't see it last night was falling asleep on the sofa, but about to watch it.

Ady -  Welcome, no question is silly, don't worry about the size of the thread, I only joined last March.

Kfc -  Good luck with the speedwork, some very tough sessions.

OOmpa - Very similar HM time to me and 2old  should be pushing for 3:15 to 3:20 for the mara if not quicker.

Chick -  Don't worry 50 miles is still very  good weekly mileage.

Freemers - Very good weekend of running.

O4S -  Congrats on the HM performance.

Andy - No harm in sticking some quicker miles in at the end of a run, just don't make it the whole run like Sarah.image

ST -  good luck with the Op.

Speaking of running slow, 10 hilly miles for me this afternoon at 7:38, I know practice what you preach but at least it was slower than last Friday's 10.

• Options

Dryathlon? I could be tempted......although I have never given up alcohol before, during my marathon training. 

I like a drink or two, but I'm not a huge drinker...just a few pints a week. Would cutting it out completely make a big difference? My PB at the moment is 3:44, so to get down to 3:30, I'd be very tempted to make the sacrifice!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Hope it goes well ST.

DD - I thought you were ill?!?!

Shady - it's like an AA club here. We all promise each other we're going on the wagon but it never lasts long.
  • Options
    Hello everyone, is it fine if I tag along and join this thread, I still consider myself a running beginner, very new to the forums and have already learned quite a bit from what I've read.

I run for Wrexham AC and most of experience comes from the fells and the trails by would love to conquer a sub 3:30 marathon.

I would have posted sooner but I'm in the Asics target 26.2 competition and didn't want you all to think I was only here for that.
  • Options

ST - good luck with the op

Hi Paul

Hi Shady

• Options

Minni......that makes me feel much better.........I talk a good 'going on the wagon', but I normally break after 2 weeks at the most. 

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum....I have only just joined.....I'm not sure if you know this, but you have to read all 24,000 posts before making your 2nd post here.....well that's what they told me anyway.......have you come here to escape the nerves of the Target 26.2 forum image

• Options

Hi Spoons....I'll think it'll be many, many months until I have as many forum posts as you!

• Options
    So far I've read about 53, long way to go! I was getting side tracked by the target forum, when I should really be sorting out how to break 3:30 so here I am
  • Options
    ST - Hope the op goes well, and you can get back into more training.

Sarah - What about numpties who have stupid self inflicted sports injuries?

Minni - Whats the weather like up in Newcastle? I'm driving there and back tomorrow to visit our other office with some collegues.
  • Options

My thinking exactly. I had 2 weeks rest after the Athens Marathon and last week was my first proper week back....just in time to start training proper next week. 

In the past, when for (non-alcohol related) reasons out of my control I've had to miss training sessions, instead of letting them go, I've either tried to double up on another day or increase the mileage of another run - so I can get my mileage for the week completed.

Do others do this, or just let the run go and carry on?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    There seem to be quite a few of the asics crew aiming for 3:30 so I'm sure one of you will get through. We have lots of different views and approaches on here and we're not shy when it comes to dishing out advice, support, opinions etc. We also have a very honest approach to training and racing and are not afraid to admit when we or others are shit!
  • Options
    I'll be the first to admit I've had a shit one, happened at Chester and Snowdonia, but I'd like to think I've got a good one in me
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Simon - I'm about an hour North and I ran in hail tonight with everything white. Which way do you come? Up the A1? If so you'll be fine. If you head up and cut over by Hexham you might have to look out for ice. Where in Newcastle is your office?
  • Options
    Paul- welcome.

Shady- if I could get a guarantee of smashing my pb by giving up the booze it would be a no brainer but no, it's not that simple. If you're not overindulging and it doesn't affect your training I don't think a few beers here and there make any difference at our level. Or maybe it's what I choose to believeimage.

Well I've decided to bite the bullet and go to the track before work tomorrow to do my intervals. It will be the first... Apparently it's open from 7, I wonder if there are any other psychos using it at that time of day...
  • Options

Well that was the worse netball training ive been to, cancelled at the last min so I didnt manage anything tonight in the end except a rest day!

DD free wine...is that why everyones going skiing in Jan?

Thankyou ST, all the best for your surgery, i hope it all goes well and you get back in to training quickly.

Simon now thats a tough one image it depends on if they tell me the truth or not. I use to work in Hull A&E, lots of people with stupid accidents and injuries presented there!

Hi Paul, i came on here almost straight away as even though I would love to get through to the last 5, im aiming for a sub 3:30 no matter what and thought speaking to like minded people on here would be enjoyable and helpful, which it has been, so thanks guys for making me welcome image

• Options

Love the picture Zuvai! Nothing like a creative sign to raise a chuckle.

Minni a friend at work uses a similar app to monitor what she's eating and drinking. She says it's really opened her eyes as to what she's eating - she's lost nearly two stone since early summer just by sticking to a set amount of calories.

Shady if I plan ahead I usually try and run a double rather than miss a run, I'll juggle my week's session so I can do an easy run before work then speedwork on an evening. 

Simon 25 miles south east of Newcastle has no snow, only seems to be higher ground around where I live affected.  Icy tonight though. 

I'm also in the 'little and often' camp, 3 meals plus 3 (or 4, or sometimes 5 image) snacks.  Snacks being something like an apple, or a couple of slices of malt loaf.  I notice people at work will eat what they've brought in for lunch, and a yogurt, and a piece of fruit or crisps or whatever, all at once.  I'll have the same amount of food but spread it out over the day.  I don't know how people can eat breakfast at 7am then last until noon without anything to eat! 

Think I'll pass on the dryathlon... I once gave up alcohol for 3 months before Edinburgh Marathon and ended up running 4:15.  Clearly doesn't agree with me image

• Options
    Hi Sarah, same for me, the Blackpool Marathon is the same day as Paris so it's no different for me, it's still the target for me and obviously is for you, maybe we can help each other
  • Options

Minni - a little video here to get you in the mood for the weekend! imageimageimage

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness I bought those spikes!
  • Options

6 mile tempo run on tired legs, but I suppose anything that hurts that much must be doing you good??!! image

Forecast for tomorrow does not encourage bike riding, so might have to do a double to get to work and back image

Good luck ST

AA - don't worry, I for one am allergic to wagons so any time you fall off I will be there to comfort you......................

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    O4S - I thought you were supposed to be resting??!!!

Honestly, you and DD must be twins separated at birth.image
  • Options
    Minni /Carot - Looks like quite central. Bumburgh court , willam Armstrong way, off scottswood road, in Elswick I think. Will be coming across M62, then up A1, so sounds like should be ok.

Still got a nice big dark purple bruise about the size my size9 shoe, and a big lump.
  • Options

Morning

Minni: O4S & I both believe that Toast and Maramalade is the breakfast fuel of champions so maybe we are related, though as far as I'm aware I'm a true blue Cornishman without any Irish descendents. And yes running that hard last night may not have been that sensible as the sore throat is back and I was awake coughing in the night.

Welcome to Shady and Paul, beware most of the advice on here refers to drinking and running into extremely hard objects. You better let O4S know how old you are as she is looking for a new toyboy since Darren escapedimage

So what to do today? Should be swim  & run, not 100% convinced that sticking my head in water is a good idea, so will probably do it anywayimage