Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

It's like riding a bike ST you dont forget image

Mrs D I'm excited too image I'm not even competing!

• Options

Get stuck in ST.  I could only swim 25m at the start of November last year.  Did 1km today for the first time.   My first tri is in 2 weeks.

Again GL all for the weekend.

• Options

Paddy, if you are going off in waves , you will be in the earlier waves if you put a slow swim time down, so there will still be people racing after you have finished so you wont be last over the finish line, you will know where you finished whe the results are posted so stop wibbling JFDI     image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Steve - have fun at the tri club

had a last little 5 mile ride on the bike. Haven't started my faffing yet. Don't think you will want the tights tomorrow Steady forecast is hot and sunnyimage although I will hate that for the run section, but have found my runnng cap so won't get a sunburnt scalp

Paddy - you have swum over the distance already so you will be fine! You are going to love it

• Options

Was out on the bike at 6am this morn and it wasn't that warm with the overcast skies - it wasnt until 3.5hrs in did I want to take off the thermal image obviously not working hard enough image So it might be a bit nippy for your swim tomorrow but it will have warmed up by the run - it's stunningly sunny out there now image recommend the sunscreen!

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

The sun is shining at HPP. Registered and now chilling out.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

I have registered, been to race brief, met some of the other pirates. Everyone else seems so much calmer than me.  Panic time now!

going to make a list of everything I need to take, put the seats down in the car and make a big spag bol. Got pizzas for tomorrow night so I don't have to cook! 

• Options

Oooo... Go Maths! You'll be grand, keep the faith and PMA! Will be keeping an eye from work.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

right, better go and pack my stuff up. Having major wibbles now. image

• Options

Ming the Merciless Race Report.

so this is my biggest endurance race to date.  A 14 mile run up a 522m hill to the trig point and back and then on the bike for a 30 mile route up some more serious hills and back.  A training route for you IronFolk, but a proper test for me.

As usual I turn up late and discover everyone else in club colours unloading road bikes.  I am instantly intimidated.  I shyly pull out my mountain bike and hide it.  (note to shelf - get a road bike).  It's a fairly informal race, about 30-40 folk line up on the road, a bloke shouts go and we go.  It's a beautiful day and the route takes us off road on the forest tracks and up and up and up...argghhh.  At various junctions race officials are there to point the way and give out jelly babies.  OOhh nobody told me that jelly babies are the secret weapon on endurance races...they taste sooo good.  I'm at the back as usual and as the going gets steeper, I get slower but somehow I'm at the front of the back group.  Its such beautiful route, in the Scottish hills, blue skys, meadow flowers, really beautiful.  I reach the top and turn shouting encouragement at the other back markers.  On 10 miles I'm flagging and a couple of folk over take me...I try to care, but my legs hurt so I don't.  2 hours 7 minutes for that section.  I pause for drink and a gel and then get the bike and head off.  It's hard, I just take it easy as I know what is to come, a 10 mile climb up some serious hills.  At the base I meet a soon to be new friend and we meander up the hill together and then free wheel down again, the last 10 miles was the worst, a sudden storm hits us and we're painfully drenched, I try to lead to give her a rest but there is nothing in the tank, she takes the lead again and brings us home. 2 hours 21 minutes.  I think I'm last again!  I want a t-shirt with proud to be last on it.

Amazingly there is tea and cake for all.  I have a really big slice of victoria sponge and a couple of chocolate brownies and two cups of tea.  Ahhh...it doesn't stop my feet hurting but I don't mind.  I did it. 

Having done it, I have even more respect for you half IM and IM.  You're all crazy. 

• Options

Ah but you have the crazy in you now Pete - all down hill from here image Well done on your excellent race and fab report!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

wow, pete that sounds like a tough one, well doneimage

• Options

Great effort, Pete - well done, sir. With all those hills it sounds like at least the equivalent of HIM to me image

• Options

Excellent race and report Pete! image

Hi everyone, I'm home from a week camping on Norfolk/Cambridge/Lincoln border. Found a pirate car so left a note and it turns out it was Donner Kebab! I met up with him at Outlaw last year so nice to think it was someone I know.

Am very excited for all the Outlaw Half racers tomorrow. Good luck MC and Steady and everyone else. So sorry I'm not joining you. Have a wonderful time and we look forward to hearing all about it.

• Options

Blimey Pete, that's some quality work! image Well done!

no time for wibbling now young Maths - get out there and smash it!

Sufferfest Downward Spiral done. Glass of wine with neighbours. Off to bed ready for work tomorrow. Give it large Outlaw peeps!

• Options

thanks everyone for you nice comments.

Good luck to all with your half outlaw today.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

well, I have totally blown it, felt a bit ill after eating tea last night but though it might just be nerves. Started throwing up in the night and still feeling very fragile. Totally fed up about missing out today. Am tracking everyone online though, but worried about steady as she hasn't clocked through the 38 mile mark on the bike yet.

Not getting much sympathy from the family as they are staying away from so they don't catch it too

MrsD - downward spiral has to be my favourite sufferfest

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

oh Maths, so sorry to hear you didn't make it to the race but sounds a wise decision as i don't think throwing up the night before is  perfect set up for a tough day ahead. next time!

Hope Steady's ok. Can you pm me her race number so I can have a look.

Well done on your race Pete adn good report!

Unfortunately my day ended about 2pm yesterday at the tournie as i landed badly and managed to sprain my ankle again. It's worse than last time so am feeling pretty defeated. In 6 weeks I'm supposed to go mountain biking in the Alps. See how that will work out... 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

oh, it says she is running, I think there is a problem with her chip maybe

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

mikasa - that is bad about your ankle, sorry to hear about it. 

I think maybe the data uploading to the tracker is just missing some of steady's times as it says she is running

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Good news about Steady!

• Options

Aw Maths, was really worrying at work. Couldn't get any results for you! Gutting mate. Hope you're feeling a bit better. Think... 'Wild Boar'!

mikasa - seriously are you going for my 'sick note' tag! 

Anything on Steady?

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

oh it now says steady DNF, have texted her to try to find out if she is ok. Might text one of the other pirates too that are there to find out

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Oh, shame about Steady, hope she's ok.

MrsDigger - looks like I am after it doesn't it? It's rubbish being injured. Last time was off for 4 weeks doing nothing. image

• Options

Oh MC, that is so rough image Am sending big hugs to you.xxx

Mikasa - sounds painful image

Hope Steady is okay image

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Steady DNF'd image Missed the bike cut off according to her FB.  Couldn't have been any more than a cats whisker away.

Big hugs to all those who DNS'd and DNF'D 

• Options

I've joined the tri club now. What have I let myself in for?

• Options

You know, I've never met anyone on this site but I'm really feeling the pain for Steady, Mathschick and Mikasa. Big hugs, tomorrow is another day, every day has its dog and many a muckle makes a mickle.  I think that's what you are supposed to say...

Can you tell I'm not very good with words?

Keep at it!

• Options

Awww, Steady, sending you very big hugs. xxxx

Pete - I think we get the jist image

Well done Steve!

Bike ride in the sun this afternoon. Should have been working but all four girls were invited to a birthday party so with a rare 2 hours free hubby and I decided a few miles around Lee Valley was far more fun.

• Options

MC as others have said,  you'll get your day. Shame for Steady.