Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Pete - awesome riding and running.

MC - so so sorry - know that horrid feeling. Don't rush back too quickly or you'll end up setting your self back (I know from bitter experience).

Steady - well done for the swim and the bike - amazing to even attempt that - fantastic lady! Big hugs xxx

Well done Steve.

Mikasa - what is your injury? Are you able to swim so you feel like you are still active - I know I go a bit bonkers when I cant train (usually why I end up with a worse injury).

Anyone else race this weekend?image

• Options

I feel like I did EmmaC lol image nah seriously well done everyone that took part in the half this weekend - it was just so much fun cheering you all on and directing you guys on the run!  Even the pirates who were just wearing their little piratey hats I saw you!!!  Cant wait for the The Outlaw in July image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Morning.

Thanks for all the kind words and hugs, it means a lot.

I came home last night, had a disturbed night sleep, then was sick after breakfast so went back to bed for more sleep. MC, not sure if it was a bit of your bug but it has felled me good and proper.Now up but feeling awful, starting to sort out the mess of kit I bought back. Race report will happen once I download garmin and can write something without bursting into tears.

• Options

Not surprised buttercup! 31/2 hours!!!!! Wowee!image

I get so over emotional when I cheer people on - sometimes I get so choked up I can't shout properly as my voice goes all funny and I cry! I was exhausted after watching OH run Brighton mara this year and felt like I'd run most of the way with him dragging the little ones around to different spots to cheer him on!image

Got some child care this Sunday so hubby and I could go out on our bikes - poor chap has a hybrid that isn't working properly and only had 6 gears - this means that we can ride together as it acts as a handicap for himimage. Managed 22 miles and felt great - could have done half as much again I reckon (however nether regions were less happy!). Some of our country roads can only be loosely described as road - POT HOLES! Some would have been ok for OW swims I reckon! There was also a 3 mile stretch that had just been resurfaced - I daren't look at my bike to see for the chips and scrapes (my poor baby) - I also had a few chunks thrown up at my face and legs - ouch! (4 by 4 drivers who weren't sticking to the 20 mile limit image).

My average speed was pretty slow but got up to 27.5 mph on one hill which was sooooo much fun - until my chain slipped! Can't believe how much I love cycling and can't believe its taken me until 40 to realise how much fun a road bike is!!!!

I have just started watching the highlights from Madrid - my god they are amazing. I can't believe how skinny they are. Some of the women were just in swimsuits - doesn't bare thinking about how awful that would look if I did it and the the chaffing!!!!

• Options
    SteadyCJ wrote (see)

Morning.

Thanks for all the kind words and hugs, it means a lot.

I came home last night, had a disturbed night sleep, then was sick after breakfast so went back to bed for more sleep. MC, not sure if it was a bit of your bug but it has felled me good and proper.Now up but feeling awful, starting to sort out the mess of kit I bought back. Race report will happen once I download garmin and can write something without bursting into tears.

Steady - I was horrendously sick after Dublin marathon - I think it shows you gave it your all. Absolutely amazing achievement doing one of the disciplines as a stand alone - let alone doing 2 or 3 together! We all think you are fabulous and look forward to your report. Fluid and rest is the order of the day. x

• Options

image I think it's (((((((hugs))))))) all round gang and well done pete. So who up for the boar then. I'm staring at the wetsite as we speak. image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

(((hugs))) from me too Steady. Hope you're feeling better soon.

EmmaC - sprained my ankle playing volleyball so I don't think swimming is an option either for couple of weeks. 

• Options

Ouch! How frustrating mikasa! Ice, elivation etc. And buy some decent DVDs to watch?! image

• Options

@ Cake I am!! I am sure we can make up a wee Piratey contingent to get to M.Bosworth image

Steady that really sucks image big hugs mate! And MC just chill out this week let your body get over that nasty bug and then you can focus on the Dambuster Oly.  Mikasa hope you recover quickly!  

Me I am just knackered today image was in bed at 7.45pm dead to the world - anyone would think I had been a competitor image it appears I'm a lightweight!

• Options

Massive hugs to all those that needs them, sounds like this weekend has battered quite a lot of people.  Fingers crossed for a quick recovery.

I've got about five weeks before my 'A' race, hills, hills, hills, is the motto I'm currently living by.

• Options

I'm full of admiration for people who do triathlons with illnesses and stuff. I think even starting is an achievement when you're ill

• Options

Huge admiration for everybody who got to a start line this weekend and respect for those sensible enough not to. I ran Bristol half last year when not well and made myself very ill and felt very stupid afterwards.

Having had lovely week in Spain swimming every day went for a run this afternoon and was pants! Finding balancing 3 sports way harder than I expected. I kind of thought the running would take care of itself, not for me. 6 weeks to go and having a bit of a wibble already. Oohh OH in for a rough month.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

steady, (((hugs)))) - hope you are feeling better now. I really hope I didn't pass my bug onto you, may just have been your body reacting a bit to the battering you gave it yesterday. Rest up and give yourself plenty of time to recover

I am up for wild boar. Cake - do I remember you saying there are no cutoffs?? I like the sound of that. And the bike route being 4 laps sounds mentally easier in a way, and that means 4 visits to a feed station which would help break it up too

emsi - which one are you doing?

ecoseal - can't remember what you are doing either - is it the outlaw?

feeling a bit better today, though no much of an apetite and some stomach pains...

• Options

Hey all - just thinking ahead to the little piglet image does anyone have a small/medium size piratey top that I can borrow for the cycle/run bit? Promise to wash and dry it and provide beery or chocolatey goodness to say thankyou image

• Options

MC - Outlaw. . . .no way, I'm not into this going long business.  

I'm doing a 2 day adventure race in midwales at the start of July, mixture of trail running, MTBiking and kayaking.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Cake, I will give the Boar some thought, but think big sow sounds more of a possibility in reality.

SuckitupButtercup, I have pirate top, still clean, it just went for a trip to Nottingham. PM me your address and I will send.

• Options

Steady you have mail! image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

seal that made me giggle a bit, not into going long then you say you are doing a 2 day adventure race!! Does sound like fun though

Steady - I think we plof at a similar rate so could get each other round the boar. I might email about the cutoffs as there isn't any info on the website about them.

going to check the date of the sow, but think it might coincide with other stuff I have on

• Options

MC the big sow starts about an hour after the little piglet image it's on the 16th of June...big breaths in...slow breaths out image have ordered the wetsuit and trishorts so hopefully they are here soon!

• Options

Aw Steady.... Just remember you were there. So many wouldn't even give it a go. You'll come back stronger and kick arse! For now, big hugs to you and feel better. Remember, you have till Sept for Wild Boar!

Mikasa (aka sick note 2) - RICE and remain positive! Do you ever do proprioception exercises for your ankles?

Emsi - what event are you doing? A lot can be done in 6 weeks.

Buttercup - you'll be grand, you put me to shame! 

How ya doing Maths? You feeling better? Let me know if you hear anything about h cutoffs. Keep smiling lady ((()))

• Options

Hi SBC, did you do the little piglet last year? I'm getting massively worried as there are only 36 people entered into the tri. I know someone has to be last but if it's me I will be just be so demoralised *PANIC MODE INITIATED*

• Options

GG - 1st tri I did I assumed I would be last. I made peace with this. It was my first, new to the training etc. Then, when I wasn't it was doubly fab. its about the experience! Have you trained to win the event or simply be there and complete? 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

GG - don't panic! doesn't matter if you are last anyway! I think that the piglet and the full boar events in general are fairly low key events. I am sure someone like cake will have done them before. Just go along, have fun. If I didn't have a tri the week after I would enter but don't think it is a good idea - I need to go down to rutland water that day to check out where the next week's tri is so I am not panicking getting lost at 5 in the morning on the day!

• Options

Cheers MrsDigga - I haven't trained to win but I also really don't want to come last. I suppose I should just do like you did and expect to come last and be ok with it. I've done a tri before but it was in 2009, the Hathersage Hilly. I came 166th out of 299 but then there were a lot of people on mountain bikes on that one. Hey ho, if I'm last I'm last - just hope there are a few people on mounatin bikes with really fat tyres on this one, I might have a small chance of passing them at least! lol 

• Options

Thanks MC, Rutland Water is pretty easy to find BTW, it's sign posted for quite a way image

• Options

GG nope haven't done it before image this is my first tri ever!  I will race you for last place - winner shouts at the pub after image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

hmm, although it is tempting to enter cos it looks like the bike route is the same as the wild boar!

• Options

That be fighting talk SBC! There is only one last place and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let you have it! image 

• Options
    mathschick wrote (see)

hmm, although it is tempting to enter cos it looks like the bike route is the same as the wild boar!

That's one of the reasons I'm doing it. I've entered the wild boar so it will give me a good feel for the course. Plus it will be my first OW swim race. It's also only about 5 miles from my house which makes it ideal.

I'm going to the Bosworth Water on Thursday night with 1485 tri club for an OW session if anyone is localish and fancies trying the swim course. It will be my first ever OW swim so it should be interesting image

• Options
    mathschick wrote (see)

GG - don't panic! doesn't matter if you are last anyway! I think that the piglet and the full boar events in general are fairly low key events. I am sure someone like cake will have done them before. Just go along, have fun. If I didn't have a tri the week after I would enter but don't think it is a good idea - I need to go down to rutland water that day to check out where the next week's tri is so I am not panicking getting lost at 5 in the morning on the day!

I've done the boar before but it's to far to travel for a jolly at the piglet. Very inpressed by the set up they have there and the mentallity of the people who run it. If it helps I was the last bloke to finesh the boar last year and got a prize for it of a very good looking piggy bank and the marshall's got me a ice cream! image

Given the people who run the race basically are all tri nutter's and are trying to get people to play your going to find it supportive for the race and fun regardless of if your last or first.

Maths I can confirm there are no cut-off's. Looks like I'm playing but will probably take sarah to cosmo in coventry the night before for some pre-carb snacks. image