Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Little piggy might be a better bet but it would completely be up to you MC you know what you are capable of image and if you do the Oly then I will definately be cheering you on when I'm done racing!

• Options

What a Sunday.  What a day - we all went to Chester  image.  He he - you swim in the water - you get on your bike.  Watch the chavs opening cars in the race car parks.  All the Police and they ignore you.  image  www.d2ride.co.uk  All in the glorious sunshine.  Some good times.  Some good shots.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

EP - well, that is about the time that I would imagine I would take - around and hour for the swim, 4 for the bike and 3 for the run

going to talk to OH as I had sorted mentioned the going to Rutland on the 16th as a family trip out (don't think they realise I want to drive round the bike course) and he might get sulky, but I am liking the idea of doing piglet, can think of it as a training day rather than a race, and that might set me up nicely for dambuster the week after. If I wasn't doing dambuster would go for the sow

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

ok, the peeps from the wild boar say:

We dont apply cut off times as we like to encourage all athletes to complete the race.   Times to use as a guide would be 60 mins swim, 5 hour bike and 3 hour run/walk.   sounds good to me - I reckon I can do that steady - do you fancy it? 5 hours for the bike is well within our reach!
  • Options
    mathschick wrote (see)

ok, the peeps from the wild boar say:

We dont apply cut off times as we like to encourage all athletes to complete the race.   Times to use as a guide would be 60 mins swim, 5 hour bike and 3 hour run/walk.   sounds good to me - I reckon I can do that steady - do you fancy it? 5 hours for the bike is well within our reach!

I hope you aren't thinking about getting that last place ice cream and piggy bank! They're mine I tell you, all mine mwa ha ha ha image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

EP - it is 2 months after outlaw, I'm sure you will have recovered!

I want the ice cream!!!image

• Options

Icecream, a Piggy bank and Beer! Incentive if there ever was some - apart from cake - cake is awesome image

• Options
    The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

cake got me through that swim 100% I was ok for the 1st 50m and last 50m but the rest was him

MC err 8hrs and a bit I think!

You got yourself through that swim chuckles just gave me someone to lk to while I was talking a bath before then. image

Mrs Cake asked me about the piglet and sow when I got home last night so might see you then as well if she fancies it. Thinking it's to close for her training wise but she's as silly as me so might go for it. image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

to be honest you can get through a sprint with little training (unless you can't swim at all) so long as you are reasonably fit I think.

getting a good time is another thing, but not one that I have ever worried about!

• Options
    IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

*pokes head in sheepishly & waves*

Hi everyone, how are you all (for anyone that remembers me)!?  I am still alive & kicking even though I've been absent for a bit!

The short summary of what I've been up to - managed to do 2 sprint tri's in Sept last year (which, after mauling my shoulder I was quite happy to hit the finish line in one piece!), then had some travel for work, then was home in Aus for nearly a month at Christmas, then got back properly into training early in the year, only to have my good knee poop itself about 6/7 weeks ago.

I've therefore already missed 2 events and am not sure whether I will make it to my main event of the year, the Etape, which is in 4.5 weeks, but I am back on the bike & will give it my best try to be ready!

I'm supposed to be doing Windsor tri on the 16th (although I've dropped from oly to sprint because of my knee & suspect I may end up walking the run as its tolerating cycling a lot more than running), so if anyone else is going to be there let me know!

Anyway will stop waffling; would love to hear how everyone else is (I have to confess I'm not going to go back & read the hundreds of pages since I've been around!) - or drop me a note in my inbox & I'll get back to you!

Cheers, shas

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Shas! great to hear from you, sorry to hear about your knee though

• Options

image Shas great to see you back and stuff. image

• Options

Well I have decided to leave the actual starting of training proper for the boar til after the little piglet - will just continue doing what I have been doing although a bit dialed down this week - no swim and a small run in Z2 on Thurs.  Husband shared his cold and I'm feeling a bit rundown so I'm trying to save myself for Sunday image

In other news just because you are small in 2xu tri shorts doesnt mean you are small tri top image no accounting for the girls apparently so back it goes image Medium for moi then.

• Options

Hi Shas,

Good to hear from you. I'm just about to join the injury wagon. Having been stuck in a race/injury/rest/race/injury/rest loop, I have now realised I need to stop running for at least a month, then make a very gradual return to running image This means not doing the Bristol tri qualifier image

Probably time to concentrate on swimming. Meh.

How are we all?

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

cat - oh no!! such a shame to miss the qualifier, but more important to recover from your injury

buttercup - quick panic, piglet isn't this sunday is it????

just had a lovely OW swim, did about 1000m  (garmin lost the satellite reception but they told me at the lake the loop I was doing was 200m and I did 5 of them.) There is a big long loop of 800m and a smaller triangle of 200m, somehow mentally it is easier to do lots of laps of the smaller loop. Guess the long loop just looks a long way, I will do at least one long loop next time.

But then I cut my foot on a rock when I went back to the bank...

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

oh and I did a nice ssweaty turbo session this morning, think I need to get a fan now the weather is warmer! Did my favourite sufferfest - downward spiral

off to give my foot a good wash...

• Options

Nah not this weekend MC - supertour this weekend image little piggy weekend after on the 16th - tired Buttercup the week after that - just in time for training proper to start image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Glad to see you are still around Shaz.

I am not going to do the Boar, sorry folks. I do not want to put too much pressure on myself in such a limited time, given what else is happening in my life.
    I have had my post race massage, by the osteopath, so it became an osteopath session when she saw that I had twisted my pelvis again. Now straight and on the road to recovery.

Race report has been done. Warning its long, get a cuppa and something to eat.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Outlaw Half – My first ever DNF

I arrived lunchtime Saturday and registered, went to the 1pm briefing and met up with Saffers, Southern Snail, Mathschick, Matt and Chris. Nice to put faces to names now, I think we all wibbled together. Went back to campsite and put tent up, met up with Little Sister who was also camping and discovered where she would be marshalling.

Race morning, awake at 4am to lovely dawn chorus until the crows/rooks joined in. Took my tablets and started to faff. Porridge and mug of tea for breakfast with my mates who thoughtfully had boiled water up the night before and put into some flasks, it makes for lots less hassle. Took the bike and bits to transition, back to the tent to get into wetsuit. Here my tall tent came into its own and we managed to get 3 people into wetsuits inside where it was slightly warmer.

Went over to the start, as I went forward to the pontoon I caught my middle toe on the left foot on the leg of a barrier. Ouch, sod it and other words came out. No time to complain as we were herded into the water. Managed a bit of a warm up and went back towards the back of the first bay, up to my neck in water, standing around, so saved a bit of energy. 5 second countdown and then off, bit of biffing and bashing, but no worse than last year in the full Outlaw. Settled down and did my swim.

Swim time 50.37

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

T1

Had a small struggle to get feet out of wetsuit but mainly because my hands were so cold, looked down at feet and just saw 2 slabs of white, no feeling. Slurped some drink, then changed into pirate cycle top, arm warmers, gilet, then as about to put socks and shoes on, dozy girl nearby asks politely if I could help her get her arms free from her wetsuit. Being a nice person I stopped and helped but did give out an exasperated sigh when she had the cheek to ask to be helped out of the 2nd arm. So socks and shoes on, grab bike and go.

Time 12.11

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Bike ride around the lake, marshals on the far side did a grand job shooing geese off the road, coming back down 2 families of geese parted like the Red Sea for me. Saw Little Sister and I was off out on the roads. Made sure I drank regularly, took on gels, I enjoyed the closed road bits. I knew I was always going to be tight to the cut off time for the bike, so kept aero as much as I could and kept the cadence up. Each time I tried to change gear into what I knew I should be in the cadence dropped rapidly, so settled down to loads of spinning. I have a Garmin but with my contact lenses in I cannot read it so had to go by perceived effort.

I will admit to having to walk about 150m up the final bit of Oxton bank. I stopped at the feed station to ensure I got drink and another gel. Set off again, there were still a few riders in front and the occasional one overtaking me, no chance of drafting whatsoever. On the approach to the roundabout to start the southern loop a motorbike BTF official waved me down, oh no what violation have I done now.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

No, the bad news was I was going to miss the cut off and although before the 12 noon deadline there was no way I was going to make it. He was an incredibly kind man, who had a middle aged, menopausal woman cry in front of him. At least where he stopped me meant it was a short 5 to 6 miles back to HPP following the race route. I had the option to continue knowing I would not be able to run, but there would be no marshals out and no back up. The thought at that point was I do not want to get lost in Nottinghamshire, I want to go back and bawl my eyes out, I had never felt so deflated in my life.

So shortcut back onto race route, oh how horrible that last bit is back past the posh house with the lousy surface. Back into HPP and did a spectacular dismount. I failed to do a standard dismount and the emotions got to me, so I just dropped the bike to the ground and stepped away. I made a comment to the marshal that there is more than one way to get off, just mine is not elegant. Racked the bike whilst controlling the tears, trying to work out what to do next.

This is when I discovered that my toes were painful and throbbing. I put my running shoes on and hobbled out, back to the campsite, feeling a total failure.

• Options

*has cuppa in hand* image

Steady good call you know what's best for you - hope you get back on track soon!  Good report!!

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Sitting in the porch of the tent, I took my socks and shoes off to see a purple swollen middle toe, which was why I could not get enough power through the pedals. Painkillers taken, I phoned my husband at home and cried down the phone to him. After a while I realised I still had my timing chip on, but decided to have a shower, then go back and return it.

Back into race finish area, found an official to hand timing chip to, told that I can still have meal in food hall, so off I went, surrounded by masses of people in finishers T shirts with medals around their necks.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Pirates really are a great bunch of people, thanks to The Engineer; he was the first pirate I spoke to, sorry for interrupting your eating. Saffers gave me a hug and a talking to, thanks. Sorry to all for being a near blubbering wreck, but I guess you all know how much is put into preparing for the day. I went back to the campsite as I could not bear to be around all the happy faces, so I started getting packed up ready to go home. My friend Steve finished first out of the 3 of us, he was gob smacked to see me at the tent. His partner, known as Marmite Lady due to her cycle top finished a while later; she already knew that I had dropped out as she had not seen me on the run.

It was a long and painful drive down the M1 every time I changed gear, horrible with delays between 4 or 5 junctions and traffic crawling along.

I took Monday off work as originally planned, and have had time to come to terms with what happened and why. Once I downloaded the Garmin, I was quite pleased to see that I had managed to do an average of 13mph, covering 38 miles out of the 56 with a badly bruised toe.

The extreme emotions were a combination of the day itself, my first ever DNF (I have run for 29 years and done Tri for 5 years) and being a woman of a certain age.

There will be a next time, it is being planned, but for now I will recover and do some shorter stuff, with some sportives in September.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Sorry, I told you it was long.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

(((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))) steady, so sorry I wasn't there to give you a hug on Sunday

You must have been almost to the 2nd feed station then and had done the hardest part of the bike, the rest is pretty flat. That last bit of Oxton is a pig. 

I think it was probably a pretty hard event, with lots of hype and then them being fairly strict over cutofffs. You couldn't have been far off being within the time either