Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Honestly MC? Sounds as though you need the long ride more than the race experience. You'll be out of the house as long if not longer to race an Oly than to ride 50 miles - and from what you've said you're short on long rides. On the other hand - it's supposed to be fun, if you'll get more joy out of racing and don't mind if you struggle a little at the Outlaw Half that's a decision only you can make.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

thanks LMH - maybe I should see how I go on the rides this weekend and decide on Tuesday...

• Options

Had another rest day today as work was a nightmare. Tomorrow could be another long day, but need to fit in a run and a swim, so I'm setting the alarm for 5:45 and going to try to get out for a run before work. We'll see if it happens or not!

• Options
    2 years ago I did Ribby Hall Tri and came second in my age group, this year I did a PB but came 9th in my age group so it seems there a lot more seroius athletes entering the smaller events, dont whether this is down to cost, or just popularity.
  • Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Grrh got a sore leg again, this time it's my right leg and shin splint-y so something different I suppose. First race on 11th so going to have to get it sorted ASAP.

• Options

Maths - they're is always benefit in being 'match fit'! Go with your gut! Or, which you'll enjoy more image

Lovin the report Razor... bummer about Holgs though. The others in your age group locally obviously heard you're the man to beat image 

Im at that point where I know I haven't done enough bike as been focusing on running. But, hey. As long as I beat last years time at The Cotswold I'm a happy chick image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

As long as I can complete my first tri of the season, I'll be happy. image

Sunny here today so hopefully biking after work, didn't happen yesterday. Also planning on biking at the weekend.

Otherwise I think I'll just keep quiet as every time I say I'm doing something, I end up not. Will just come back to report on things when I've done them to keep positive. 

• Options

well, got up today for a turbo image

weather is looking good for the weekend even if early mornings are going to be chilly

I think 'serious' athletes enter smaller events because they have a greater chance of winning? Also there is the cost... 

• Options

I was thinking about that on the way home - if I was even vaguely speedy finding one where there were mainly newbies would almost guarantee me a placing I'd do it!

• Options

Alarm went off at 5:45. Switched it off, rolled out of bed, put running kit on and got straight out the door for a 40 minute run. Very pleased with myself! Now off for a swim. The real test will be to see if I can get myself up early to do a brick session

• Options

Well done DB, that's the hardest part getting out of bed image

Yeah, You're right Mrs D, they must be thinking now " they;ve taken  a well earned scalp"   image

It seems the smaller events means greater results for them, but surely if I was looking better myself and go for good results I would want to race against the best to see how I matched up, not picking age group placings against newbies and novices.

Mikasa,    everyone is different in their training routines, some love to train in the early mornings others in the evening, don't beat yourself up because you missed a couple of sessions, just do what you can when you can. When you do your next session tag an extra 15 mins on the end and make lost time up that way. It's easier to add time on to a session than to find time for an extra session, hope that makes sense.  image 

• Options

did another 45 mins on the turbo while I was cooking image multi-tasking image does a quick run to the kitchen count as a brick?image ok, probably not....

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

DB - well done getting out of bed and doing your run.

Razor - thanks. Tbh, I don't have a programme atm so no 'missed' session as such. But very early mornings really not my cup.

Short ride after work today round the airport. Tbh, thought it was gonna be at least 10 miles but turned out to be only 8.5 miles, need to find a longer route. First 4miles I was so hungry I was ready to turn back but thankfully it passed and enjoyed the rest of the ride. Felt really slow so happy to see average was 12.6 mph.

• Options

Maths - you have conjured a strange image of you in the kitchen on your turbo image

Mikasa - good mindset... We are doing this tri business because we're supposed to enjoy it! Just taking part makes me smile broadly, even when it hurts a bit!

Well done DB on your early training. 

Well, have nasty nights as of tomorrow. Not really the best shifts, as have 2 days off then on days. My body won't know where it is. Not sure how it will affect the tri on 11th. Have a top weekend peeps! image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC, I would be suggesting a long bike ride rather than a race but it is a close call, as I can understand the desire to practice OW swim and transitions.

I am doing a sprint on the 11th, so this weekend is going to be my really long ride, going to have to get up early and do a ride on own before turning up at the club and doing about 25 miles with them. I just hope they are not going to do the sportive route with 3 horrid hills.

Yesterday I swam, got straightened out by the osteopath and did a gentle pilates class. Today was a little 40 minute hybrid off road ride followed by a 12 minute power walk, as a little brick session.

Tomorrow I will cycle but skip the OW session and do that on Saturday at Thorpe.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

steady - hopefully we will both make it round this year image and if not, there is the wild boar and next year...

nice run this morning in the fog (still doing run/walk) and swimming tonight

I shouldn't have bought some lindt truffles just because they were reduced, because I have eaten a 200g box since 4pm last night when I bought them!!

• Options

Even though I'm hurting I had to run at lunch to recover from a terrible evening and stupid frustrating morning  meeting at work. 6.62km, 36minutes dead.

My legs don't hurt any more, but my hip does, but a different hip from that which was hurting at the start of the week.

I'm off now to book my miracle worker physio.

And my bike comes back from the menders tonight...more than just a offset wheel, I needed a new chainset, chain and brakes...lol...I'm thinking I need a morning commute to test it out.

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Shin splint, return to start, do not pass go, do not collect £200 image

Must not fall head first into vat of wine, that will not help... long term

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

oh Ali that is bad news image

• Options

big hugs AliBear30

but I expect to hear tales of stupendous swimming and pyschotic swimming...how long are you banned from running?

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Bad news AliBear, step away from the bottle.

I went for a walk, the schedule said cycle but it has been raining on and off all day so decided to go for a walk between showers and cycle tomorrow. 40 minutes of brisk walking, no idea how far or HR but a good old fashioned walk.

Pete good to hear you get your bike back, I need to book up a service for my steed before the big race.

• Options

Going to brave the conditions and get out for a ride once I've had a sit down and a cuppa. Another hectic day at work but need to make the most of the extended daylight!

• Options

No bank holiday for me, annoyingly this is the one bank holiday of the year we have to work.

Got out for a quick blast on the bike, went out without any real aim for time or distance and ended up doing a loop of 9.18 miles in 33 minutes. Bit of climbing and a long out and back section with a slight gradient to see what sort of speeds I could hold. Bit nippy out there too, please don't tell me Tuesday was all the Summer we're getting?!

• Options

Bit nippy? Ha! It snowed here last night. 

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

DurhamBiker, how can you sit down and have a cuppa then go out and do exercise. If I sit down I just end up wasting time and then do nothing.

I agree with folks about the weather, it was not really warm even down here in the south. But at least it has not been as cold as Northern Ontario, my brother reported that they had nearly 3 months of -20 degrees or lower the whole time and still have 2-3 foot of ice on the rivers, so glad we did not get that polar vortex the USA and Canada got.

• Options

I just make sure I tell myself it's all I'm allowed to do, then I have to go out. Very rarely get chance to have a brew during the day so usually I medically need one by the time I get home.

• Options

Also helps if I tell the missus that I can't clean the kitchen as I have to get out for a ride/run. Then I have to or I get murdered