Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

haha, I had forgotten about the 'polar vortex' I just love the names they think up for things!

I ran this morning and swam this evening image

yes, I need to get my bike serviced too, think I will ride it a bit first though

• Options

Injury moan. I appear to have done something to my ankle on a bike ride last week with Soupy. Suddenly lost all power and it hurt like feck. Googling suggests posterior tibular tendon, apparently common runner/cyclist thing. Anyway, comeback race next Monday at Shinfield 10K is in serious doubt, stairs hurt a lot. Wheatbaggin, Ralgex, Deep heat, God knows what else to help. It is improving but terribly slowly. Fingers crossed.

• Options

Oh DB, that's not good.  Sounds like there are a few of us with injuries...maybe we all need to get in the pool and give up on this running/cycling lark!

I've got a mate in Calgary, when ever he posts about the weather it makes me think NE Scotland isn't that bad.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

oh BD that sounds painful image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

No more injuries please! Hope you all recover quickly but be sensible whilst recuperating.

I have been very tired this week and have been reaching for the wrong kind of food to 'get me through' the day. This coupled with not much exercise, I have put another 2lbs on! This is so wrong and I really need to address the situation. I sabotaging myself continuously atm and it's not good enough.imageimage

Anyhoo, none of this crap on here. Good training everyone,keep it up!

• Options

I am on the kinda injured list. An unfortunately placed injury means I'm unable to train at present. Will be competing at the Cotswold no matter what though. Off to bed... Nights suck! 

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

image Is holgs ok now? Sorry using sarah's laptop so can't change the profile cake here.

Nothing to report this end other than been far to lazy last few days. image

Durham very well done mate what about your nutrition do you want to improve? is it just in general or persifically before a race? If it's in general Sweet potatoes are brilliant in turms of getting good carb's into your tummy and for meat turkey mince is the lowest fat meat you can easerly get your hands on. If it's for just before the race. I wouldn't eat something you don't eat regularly because it will upset your tummy. Porrage is a good one although I personally can't stand the stuff image or banana's.  

Pippa I would make a list of everything you want in transition and have it ready so you can just drop it off and head to the pool. Just in case if you not sure on anything I'd double check on here linky or just ask on the threads chuck. Will be a few of us there on the day to heckle you as well. Whats your start time? I'm at 9:57 number 351. Will be easy to spot if you want to say hello look for a really ugly bloke in pirate kit. image

Brilliant pb Razor 

Has anyone else spotted the centrefold in this month's 220 mag? 

• Options

Yup I asked Abi how JP was getting through doors these days image

• Options

I ran 5.5 miles this morning 54 mins, avg pace 9.47m/m, happy with my pace as my intention was to stay in Z2 which I did.  image I need to get back to where I was a few months ago so its Z2 running to build back up.

I've been off work for a couple of days so I've been raiding the fridge and the biscuit tin, so I need to give myself a slap every time I go near junk food in between meals image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I'd be getting a lot of slaps...image At work I'm definitely boredom eating...

Well done on the run Razor!

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I went out for a bike ride as soon as I got in from work, ended up going further than planned it started to drizzle then stopped. I carried on and got wet when it became rain, then on the way home just very light drizzle so almost dried off. Did the Box Hill loop including Dustboy corner safely negotiated.

I feel I can go out for dinner with the cycling club tonight and enjoy the food.

Hoping to get up early in the morning for an OW swim, but the weather forecast says cold overnight. I will pack my bag and be ready and see what happens when the alarm goes off.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

razor - well done, your injury all ok now? I think it was your back?

MrsD - look after yourself, you are part of the A team for Outlaw image I don't think that is team name I registered us under though! We are incognito!image

Steady - well done on the bike

I am shattered, having a rest day and planning a busy weekend without kids. Was going to start with an early bike ride but the forecast is blooming cold which may put me off the rest of the day's stuff! May see how I feel when I wake, need to drop a kid off at scout camp in the morning and one tonight, so a kid free couple of days image

• Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

Cake, I'm 514, starting 10:38. I'm a middle aged blonde/ ex-redhead (ie the reds gone!). Probably wear my fetch top?

thanks for the advice. I think in mynewbie naivety I thought there'd be time for a leisurely set out of stuff, but I will have a list and check it twice! (Good enough for Santa... ) I'm more worried about silly stuff than actually doing it! 

Take it easy injured ones ... 

Missed my planned swim as I had a visit to Tesco to plan a school trip there and we got cheese & wine, then I had to do my own shopping, so no time! Swimming club use only after 7 pm image

• Options

Cake, well I need to sort out my general nutrition, but mainly on the day of the race. Think I need to spend my weekends trying out different breakfasts before getting out on long rides/runs and see what impact they have. As for general nutrition, we're already big fans of sweet potato so fitting more of that in won't be a problem. Might have to look into turkey mince.

Had high hopes for nice sunny weather for the weekend when I got up this morning, but now it's clouded over again. What's everyone got planned? Annoyingly I don't get Monday off so stuck with a standard 2 day weekend, but got an hour long run and an hour long bike to fit in.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I have been open water swimming, not too far but a swim none the less. Now eaten my body weight in good food.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Just come back from a bike ride. Plan was to ride all the way to Windsor Great Park but traffic on roads was getting busier and busier and we just couldn't be bothers to carry on after reaching Swinley Forest. Rode up on Blackwater Valley Path and it was very muddy and slow at points. Coming back we decided to ride through the forest which was nice but slow going on the sandy paths. Nice scenery though. 10.5 miles there and 7.5 miles back.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Tbh, I wasn't too bothered about traffic but it was doing bf's head in, cars overtaking on bends were they couldn't see etc. Feel bit tired now.

• Options

I find you've got to get into the right mindset on the roads. I'm starting to master the "screw everyone else, I've got every right to be here" mentality and I'll happily take up whichever bit of the road I need in order to ride safely. Still get wound up at idiot drivers, but that's no different to when I'm driving anyway. Tend to find a bit of aggression helps with the ride anyway!

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I find my bf is bit too aggressive at times. Plus he can accelerate out of trouble so much easier than I can. Neither of us have a problem on roads, both being bit mental.image Big roundabouts aren't my favourites though.

• Options

Just did an hour (well just shy of) on the bike. Tried to get a KOM on a short Strava segment to beat the joint 2nd place I picked up on my ride on Wednesday but failed. Did knock a second off my time though so pushed the other pretenders into joint 3rd

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

evening

had a very busy day, done some marking, got youngest son sorted and off to cub camp, masters swim, lunch with OH, open water swim, then scouted out the route for the southern loop of the Outlaw Half route so I can cycle round it without getting lost (may take a map) then home and it was time to cookimage where did the day go?? I was hoping to get out on the bike, but needed to eat really and I am tired

really really enjoyed the OW swim, love the feeling of being in the water with the sun on me, nothing can beat that feeling actually image OH was waiting for me so just did one loop, wasn't sure where the turn round buoy was supposed to be so I think I ended up swimming very wide, but 0.45 miles in 19 mins, and I was taking it easy so happy with that. New wetsuit good, but I hadn't quite pulled one of the sleeves up enough and it was a little uncomfy on that side

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Terrible tooth ache again last night. Another emergency appointment and they gave me antibiotics. Anyone had root canal treatment before as it seems that's where I'm heading? image

Nowt done today so far because of it. Lovely sunny day here so bit annoying. Might go for a walk later. Hope everyone's getting some quality training in. 

MC - well done on your open water swim. 

• Options

Just got back from our sprint Tri relay and I am really buzzing image

I did a 400m swim PB by 31 secs, Dad of Jr overtook four on the bike, and Jr overtook 1 on the run.  He did a sub-25 min 5k.  I am so so pleased with all our efforts

Had 2 scoops of rum and raisin ice cream to celebrate image

• Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

Well done Schumnkses! image (you can keep the rum & raisin though ...)

I've been for my first proper run for ages (good intentions foiled by bruises falling off bike ...) and to Aldi to buy a tri suit. It must be meant to be ...

• Options

Well done Schmunks!

Did a 1 hour run (ended up a couple of minutes shy) towards the mother-in-laws for Sunday lunch, then she drove us home. Off to the local in a bit for a couple of pints I think as the sun seems to have decided to come out

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

well done schmunks and familyimage

woke up feeling awful, had a terrible night's sleep, not sure why but could be hayfever despite taking antihistamines. I felt hungover when I woke up, and I don't drink!

So no early morning training but still went out with OH on the bikes. Had to have a cooked brekki first (that was a treat for him, I am not bothered) then 3 hours on bridleways, forest trails etc round Sherwood Forest and Clumber Park. It was great, although OH suffered a bit. I had offered to do a shorter route, but I don't think he had realised how unfit he is! We did have a chop butty at Clumber about 2/3 of the way round. He got a bit confused and said he was close to humping!! I think he meant bonking....

anyway, food has been at random times so I am not going to manage to eat and get to swimming, so having a rest then going off for a little spin on my road bike just to fuel the hayfever image