Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Decided to try a different route for my run tonight. Had set an early alarm this morning, but needed an early start with work so couldn't quite bring myself to get up at the required time.

After a rather wet day I didn't want to take my usual route through the woods as it can get a bit boggy, so headed towards town (well, city really but Durham's so small it hardly counts) and ran past the cathedral and castle, then along the river for a bit so the midges could feast on me.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Durhambiker, I glad to hear I am not the only one that gets feasted on by midges. Marmite or Vitamin B complex can help lessen the temptation for them to bite you.

Plans for the weekend are in limbo, FiL is ill, so not sure if I will be able to make my sprint tri. I need to stay strong and bug free until 2nd June, then I can have a meltdown.

• Options

I'd rather be eaten alive by midges than eat Marmite!

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Fair enough Db.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I though Steady meant you need to cover yourself in marmite, then I'd understand midges wouldn't want any part of you!image I don't like marmite either. image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I though Steady meant you need to cover yourself in marmite, then I'd understand midges wouldn't want any part of you!image I don't like marmite either. image

• Options

The textures wrong in this country it shouldnt be runny image and besides Vegemite is better - apparently there is a GF version floating around somewhere image

Run to train station this morning - silly garmin was counting random laps trying to tell me I had run in 4 mins then 1.5 then 59 seconds - I dont think so image first 3k felt like dying but no groin issues and the good knee after grumbling a little came to the party.  Hip flexor on left side was complaining a little but not majorly.  So a win so far image

• Options

Buttercup there is a GF version I think sarah know's how to get it if you want to farsebook her.

Durhambiker wrote (see)

I'd rather be eaten alive by midges than eat Marmite!

imageimageimage

Looking a little wet today.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

I love marmite!! Doesn't stop the midges from feasting on me though so maybe I should try smothering myself in it ....

• Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

How scary Pixie! Understandable to be a gibbering wreck, but good to know that you - and everyone- is okay!

• Options

image well done Pixie glad you are in one piece!  Lots of numpties out there to be sure!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

pixie - well done for riding and glad you are ok, there are some idiots out there. I saw the aftermath of a horrible accident last night on my way to swimming, was a bit upset as there were a couple of cars upside in a ditch on the side of the A46, no idea how badly hurt the people were

glad it is the weekend but the weather forecast is a bit pants! was intending to go out on my bike early tomorrow but it says chucking it down. I have attached the replacement magnet for my cadence sensor though so may well turbo before swimming, and afternoon ow swimming planned with buttercup!! image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

imageI can race on Sunday, so long as FiL stays the same and is stable.

I took today as another rest day as feeling very stressed and worn out.

Went to get my waterproof watch out for OW swim, as Garmin does not like the water anymore, the battery is dead, so will swim for a distance and not have a clue about time. Hope to meet up with some pirates again for post swim bacon butty. I will use the Garmin for the race and hope I can remember how to use it on multisport setting.

MC, I agree on the weather forecast being pants, wind and rain tomorrow, with a lesser version on Sunday.

EP good to hear you survived the numpty drivers, I think I would have been a quivering wreck after that.

• Options

Nice to see DB back and giving it large! image

Sounds as though the biking terror continues due to numpty drivers. Keep up the good work EP. 

Hope you have a good swim MC & Buttercup image

I have not done anything all week so I'll be ok to do the Supersprint on Sunday. Not really injured MC but have a unfortunate placed baddie image Hopefully have done enough previously to do myself proud!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

MrsD - I always consider any effort enough to do me proud - you should do the same, specially if you have a niggle!

so tired this morning, got up for breakfast because the kids need sorting out but feel shattered. May go for a run to wake myself up then masters swimming

need to sort out some job applications too...

• Options

Cheers MC... really love the Cotswold so going out to enjoy it - rain or shine image Think more rain at the moment!

Hope your days goes ok.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

MrsD - so long as you are going with the mentality of enjoying it rather than aiming for a certain time you will end up happy. Time targets are always tough because often people end up not enjoying events and feeling disappointed. Anyway, if weather is rubbish you certainly should throw any time target out of the window, stay safe and try to have fun!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

morning all

well, after a crap day yesterday - thought I was just tired, went to masters swim and realised I wasn't just tired and feeling lazy but actually feeling a bit rubbish, came out feeling sick and shaky, had to cancel the swim with buttercup and spent the afternoon in bed. Now feeling not so bad but decided I ought to just do nothing rather than the 60 mile ride I had planned (again with buttercup - sorry !!).

So, this morning I am helping eldest son with homework while filling in job applications. Had forgotten what a pain in the bum these things are to fill out!!

• Options

About to head off to the pool, then do the shopping, then chill for a bit before going out on a 60 minute run. Not sure if we're doing the Bamburgh half now as the missus isn't feeling confident at all, could be she's just having a rough week with work etc taking it's toll but we may end up asking if we can defer to next year. I'm going to keep on with the training though as I want to get my cycling mileage up anyway, I've got the Great North Run in September, and the swim distance isn't much more than an Olympic-distance.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

DB - why don't you run it with her supporting/shopping/walking on the beach?

• Options

Meh I did 1.30hrs on the turbo got a case of CBA - this weeks training hasn't really gone to plan but that happens.  Due to my injuries the running has been no where near to plan and my swimming has been less than stellar - the half is going be hard work I think but image INFKC so I need to man up a bit.

• Options
    http://dbmax.racetecresults.com/Images/Finish.png

Finish Time 01:28:49.8 Overall : 298 / 321 Gender : 64 / 80 Categ : 6 / 10   Race No: 64 Gender: Female Category: 35-39 Status: Finished Club: PSOF
    http://dbmax.racetecresults.com/Images/swim.png

Swim 10:55.4 Overall : 209 Gender : 53 Categ : 6
    http://dbmax.racetecresults.com/Images/cycle.png

Cycle 43:39.2 Overall : 286 Gender : 55 Categ : 6
    http://dbmax.racetecresults.com/Images/run.png

Run 28:34.0 Overall : 302 Gender : 67 Categ : 7

Ok, so windy windy day. Run time includes out of water and run to transition. Bike time includes a VERY long run out to road and back. Transitions were long due to being unable to feel my feet and hands image. Will pop in a proper report when feeling more awake image

• Options

How did you get on Steady? Know Cake and Bookie completed a similarly windy task! 

Mr Digger did really well for someone who has only really learnt to swim properly in the last 3 weeks. Finished in 1.19 - show off! 

• Options

You'll be fine Buttercup. Keep the faith x

• Options

Well done Mrs D! Good day at the office image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

MrsD - brilliant, well done image and congrats to MrDimage not great weather for a tri today

buttercup - you have done more than I have! Did you want to have a quick ow swim at Colwick next Sat? Or is that too close to your tri and too much bother to get up here? I intend going, though we are doing a laser quest party for youngest on Sat morning, all the more need for a swim in the afternoon I think!

My week has been pretty poor as well.still not feeling great though more human than yesterday. Have spent at least 4 hours filling in forms for job applications - hate the forms, they are badly designed and the font is inconsistent so things don't line up properly so I feel the need to sort it!! Wish schools would just take a CV and letter!

I also had an email via linkedin asking if I would be interested in a post at a localish school, I know it has been in special measures (not sure if it is out yet) and they struggle to recruit so they offer a £5K recruitment bonus..... but would it be a good place to work at? Well, I did reply with my phone number, no harm in talking to them....

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, back from cold and windy race.

PB for meimage by 2 minutes, I had a noseclip that did not want to stay on during the swim, a good bike ride apart from needing to stop to get a gel out and open, the run/walk, which was OK until the last 500m when the right side of hip and back went tight and hurt. Full report to follow and also spotted at the race was Emma C, who is so much quicker and slimmer than me.

• Options

Well done Steady!