Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Had a fun ride on the cross bike yesterday. Should have gone out in my wetsuit, ended up riding through 2 long sections that were over a foot deep in places thanks to the flooding over the weekend.

Slow 3.5 mile run done tonight, alarm set for a 3 or 4 mile run in the morning before work, and then cycle club night ride after work.

• Options

Just over 5 miles ran this morning and pace was ok 10.05m/m and managed to keep HR avg in Z2. . The weather was brilliant, no wind, no rain and warm sunshine.

DB  Saw your film crossing the water on your bike looked like fun mate.

• Options
    Nice one Razor, good effort. Aye it was a good laugh, bit nerve wracking going through first though not knowing how deep it was going to get.

Didn't want to get up this morning but I did, sluggish slow 3 miles. Night ride tonight, then aiming for 3 to 4 mile runs Thurs night and Fri morning. Then going to try a 6 or 7 miler over the weekend
  • Options

Glad to hear that some training is going on, because it hasn't really happened in my world.  Still trying to clear the cold/chestiness.

I did not swim this morning, so that is 3 weeks missed, as I had a busy day to cram loads into, but I will be going to Pilates tonight.

• Options

I didn't want to get up today either - mainly because it was concert night for the kids last night so a late night. Went for a run this evening though

• Options

I didn't want to get up today either - mainly because it was concert night for the kids last night so a late night. Went for a run this evening though

• Options

Haha ended up tagging on to the fast group on tonight's ride, as the slow group consisted of 1 rider and I missed him. It was an experience! They did wait for me at the top of the main climb, but unlike the slow group who will happily wait and give you a breather, as soon as I rolled up to the junction they all clipped back in and set off.

Gave up on trying to catch them and enjoyed riding alone in the dark. 20 miles done in the dark and wet, character building stuff!

• Options

well done DB

don't know why my last post duplicated itself!

• Options

5k Santa run done today, walk and run, muddy few undulations, medal and mars bar as a prize.

• Options

well done steady - nice to end the year with a finish!

I went for a run in the freezing drizzle, kind of enjoyed it but I seem to have lost loads of fitness in the November/December bout of lurgies. Have a half marathon on Saturday which I will walk round if I have to, but it isn't looking promising for a marathon on 2 Jan so will probably email and tell them to offer my place to someone else if they have a waiting list. Disappointing but onwards and upwards, need to biuld back up for the spring and next summer.

Just need to get through the next few days at work first...

• Options

Swim this morning, hoping it would ease the DOMS but no. Hopeful that the stretching in Pilates tonight may work. Ankles are the worst affected, just reminds me of what I have been missing the last 6 months.

• Options

well done on the swim steady

run and turbo for me today

2 more days left at work, we are all just hanging on by a thread, and that includes the kids!

• Options

Training has been a bit slack for me this past week or so. Midweek Miles wasn't on this week due to the weather being a bit pants and noone wanted to go out on the bikes, but I did cycle up to the cycling club's AGM on Thursday, a fairly slow 7 miles each way with a couple of beers in the middle, so not really training. Also ended up becoming the club's new Treasurer, not quite sure how that happened

• Options

DB - good luck with being treasurer!

half marathon today, which given that I haven't been doing much running later was hard! had a good day though and got a cool medal image

it was a birthday treat to myself - birthday tomorrow. Last couple of miles did not feel like a treat!

• Options

Happy birthday maths, and well done on getting round the half anyway!

• Options

thanks Durham. Hopefully I will have done more running before the next one and it won't be so painful...

• Options

I went out on the MTB, managed a sedate 44 minutes, had to keep the speed down due to so many dogs out as I was a bit late going out.
    Annoyingly I had left the watch set to running not cycling and for some reason Garmin Connect does not want to let me correct it. I know I have changed the type of activity before.

• Options

Belated Happy Birthday Maths.

Steady, you can change it.  For a while after my daughter "borrowed" my watch I used my bike garmin to measure everything and I regularly changed the activity type.  I select the activity and then click edit activity and you should be able to change it in there.

I am now officially signed up to the BP running group and have agreed to series of 10Ks.  The scariest bit will be driving in to downtown Houston to find the start!

I did a slow 5k at the weekend.  I didn't realize how unfit I've become this year.  It time to up the exercise regime  before everywhere gets swamped by the "new years resolution" folk in January.

• Options

pete - it is always depressing how easy it is to lose fitness

thought I was finding the turbo really hard today - half way through I realised there was a laptop bag leaning against the rear tyre! 

had a nice slow run too - weather was awful so there way no-one else around which was nice

• Options

Pete, I managed to log in to Garmin and change the run to a ride OK, looks like they had updated the screen and I had not noticed where I had to go to do the alteration. I really should get around to keying in the details for the MTB as the wheel size is different to the road bikes.

MC that is the best way to find out why you had a tough workout. I want to do a turbo on Wednesday evening but not sure if I will run out of time as usual.

I will post on New years eve how many miles in total I have done this year, it looks quite impressive at the moment given that I had a load of time off.

• Options

steady - I am glad you mentioned total mileage, despite feeling like I have had a crap year with loads of DNSs, I have actually run and cycled more than last year, and swam almost the same, so I am pleased with that.

decided the marathon on 2 Jan wouldn't be a good idea - not sure I would make the cutoff, so have entered a 5k on 3rd Jan instead image and kids are going to be staying with grandparents for the nights of 1st and 2nd Jan so will have some time with OH just chilling/going out for meals (he likes eating out!) Next year I want to try to get my half marathon time down a bit. Don't care if I still do run/walk but would like to do it a bit quicker image

• Options

Maths, I'd like to get all my times down to what they were in 2014, but I'm not sure where I'm going to get the time to do it.  I'm going to have to be diligent and train like I did for the marathon in 2014.

My yearly totals are pants this year.  I'm putting it down to laziness and moving continents.  Next year is going to be better...

• Options

Hope everyone has had a good Christmas

sooo windy this morning, but did a 4 mile run/walk

• Options

Good sentiments MC.

My day went well, cooked a roast dinner for the first time in about 9 months, everyone enjoyed the food and had a restful evening.

I turboed this morning, I decided it was a bit too windy to go out on the bike.

Happy Boxing Day everyone.

• Options

Do sprouts have anything to do with all this wind?

I've been looking at my yearly totals and they make for depressing reading when compared to 2014...I did 107km running and 237km on the bike in 2015.  I covered more kilometers in July 2014 alone than I did in the whole of 2015.  So clearly 2014 has been a injured/lazy year.

I've signed up for a lot of races in 2016 which I hope will be the motivation I need to get back to regular training.

• Options

hi all

nice 6 mile run/walk this morning, but my off road route has become really muddy!

pete - how was xmas in the USA? Are there any fellow triathletes where you work that can help motivate you?

• Options

Xmas was good, it was about 24C and very humid.  It has dropped since and I think it might have been down to 8C last night and there is a cold wind.  All the bad weather (blizzards/tornadoes) is North and West of us.

I think that my boss is enough to be motivation for me.  She's the running team leader and I wouldn't want to cross her!  So I need to get my running back to something like my old self if our team is going to get any points.  She's not a lady to disappoint! lol

Most of the races start at 7am to avoid the heat...so I need to get used to early runs.

• Options

sounds like good motivation Pete!

• Options

I have swum and have been on the turbo. One session yesterday and the turbo this morning.
    Training plan has been pencilled in the calendar, just need to enter a few sportives to keep the motivation up.

• Options

well done steady! I am off to the gym later to do some strength stuff, it is going hurt as I haven't done any for months!