Options

2012 North Downs Way 100 miler and 50 miler

Comments

• Options

Lets hope for rain then to firm it up a bit

Did the sand actually get down into your socks?

I will be wearing long compression socks so that should hopefully keep it out

• Options
    EVerything is good to go now guys, thank you for your support in the first year. Lots of people on the forums either volunteering (thank you Andrew Smith - mile 43/ 57!) or running. It has been a hell of a lot of work but I hope it is all worth it come race day. Any more questions, as always, just e mail me at racedirector@centurionrunning.com and I will come back to you straight away.

See you in 11 days!!!!

James
  • Options
    Ben Davies 15, you could try the Mulberry pub which is 10 seconds from the start - its basic, but basic. Or theres the Bush Hotel in town (45 seconds to the start) which is a bit more 'up market'.
    What sort of money do you want to spend, and how far are you prepared to travel before the start?
  • Options

Can't believe it's just round the corner! I'm pretty nervous now. Confident but nervous.

Debris gaitors is the way to tackle St Marthas.

10 daysimage

• Options

eeeeek, 11 days.

Yes the sand got thru my shoes & socks and started to rub the top of my tootsies. Gaitors it might have to be then image

• Options

I have a place to satay now!

When I told my grandma that I was running the NDW 100 and what it was, she asked how much they were paying me to do it.  She was horrified when I told her that I was actually paying them very handsomely for the privilege!

• Options
    BD15, enjoy your sataying!
  • Options

Been dreaming about the race every night. So i've finished, not finished, started, not started, been early for the start and totally missed the start. I seem to have dreamt every variable!

Got butterflies sitting here now. OMG I can't stop thinking about the bloody race!

Someone remind me. This is supposed to be fun. Isn't it?

Then again there is the famous ultra running quote "It doesn't have to be fun to be fun".

imageOnly 9 1/2 days

• Options

ha ha. I had a dream that my buddy / pacer got fed up waiting for me at an aid station and ran off without me. Then I found myself near Ditchlilng on the South Downs - eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek, going mad image

• Options

Was feeling fairly relaxed about the race, but now think I've picked up a cold - arrrgh!  Hoping it's just me being paranoid and it'll be a 24 hour thing. 

However even if I can't run - definitely will be coming down on the day to cheer the rest of you on. 

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

A cold ar? You've got plenty of time to recover - just  rest and eat lots.

I was in two minds but now find myself signed up for this  ( drink and the internet are an unwise  combination sometimes, I liked the thought of following a trail of glowsticksimage). I shall spend the week making lists of things to do or pack.

I will email the organisers but does anyone already know if dropbags  just refers to small bags of stuff e.g. food, gels etc or whether larger  items  (shoes, night gear etc.) are accessible en route

Also does anyone have any recommendations on places  to stay on Friday night? I'm aiming for cheap as I doubt I'll sleep much anyway.

• Options

Hi

Don't shoot me down for asking a dumb question but . . .

I haven't had a chance to recce the route - any thoughts on how important it is to take maps on this run?

thanks

Dave 

• Options

Dave

I Reckon you'll find out on Saturday!

Remember that you do it both ways so you can treat the first 50miles as a recce

In all seriousness, it is meant to be pretty well marked, ramblers find it ok every weekend

I have a map but I hope not to need it

• Options
    Hi Dave

I'm in the same boat as you are. No recce. I have decided to take maps just in case but am hoping not to have to make use of them. Rather safe than sorry I guess. A well marked course and on a national trail so I think we should all be okay, especially on the outward leg as there'll be more runners around. Then the way back should be a mixture of hunting for glow sticks, retracing your steps, finding somebody of similar pace perhaps, saying a few prayers image etc etc.

Almost there now......

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

No recce and no familiarity for me either. I have a map (if only I can find it) but the race does seem to be organised with the idea that you will not need one with race markers at any point where there is a choice of direction as well as the existing waymarkers as reference points. However never underestimate  the tricks a tired mind can play on you!

Does anyone have a clue how muddy it could be underfoot, given that we're expecting rain? Do the North Downs drain quickly like the South Downs or are they a different kettle of fish entirely? 

• Options
    If we have much rain it could be very muddy and very slippery, clay on top of chalk is a bad mix. The Western end up to where you cross the A 25 should be OK though as it is mostly sand.
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    Proper trail shoes?? ? I'd rather not for such a distance, must find map and pray to rain gods. I forsee some walking ahead of me.
  • Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    Today is supposed to be dry here but rain is forecast for Thursday and Friday.....
  • Options

I live about a mile South of the Botley Hill to Knockholt leg + I've recce'd the whole route, so I feel modestly qualified to comment:

1. Regarding maps - I've every faith that James & his team will do an excellent job of marking the course and that every scrote in the south of England will be far to busy elsewhere to vandalise the course marking BUT if you had to rely on the NDW way marking, you could easily run off-course. There are a host of places where waymarks are faded, directional signs have fallen or been pushed down, or simply where the summer vegetation makes signs far from obvious at speed (OK then, at an arthritic hobble!).

If I hadn't recce'd the course (in BOTH DIRECTIONS, if you're doing the full 100) I'd be taking a map as backup; every time that I relied on the way marking + map memory on a recce, I ended up backtracking at some point (and I'm not generally geographically challenged - ex. orienteer etc.).

2. ... and shoes - I have run the trail in the pissing rain and glorious sunshine, always in trail shoes, and never regretted the choice.

As another poster indicated, the character changes as you go East; to a bit beyond St. Martha's, its generally well drained and sandy (very, in places!); from there to Box Hill, there is a mix of well drained chalk in the open downland and forest mulch in places under the trees; between Box Hill and Reigate Hill there is a section which can be really slippery in the slightest wet (think what happens when you mix chalk and water!); and once you cross the M25/M23, it can quickly get pretty muddy and take a few days to dry! Good luck!

Creaky 

• Options

I've run it with a trail guide which has been pretty good.  It is fairly well marked on an average day, but I've only done it in daylight.  I've also only been doing it in trainers.  It has been fine, but it does get slippy.  I'm also having my OH bring a spare pair of shoes for after the sandy sections. 

Also if anyone is scared of dogs , there's a dog in a garden, which gave me a real shock and I ended up detouring (it takes longer) as I was so scared it would jump the short wire fence (it wasn't there last weekend - so hopefully it won't be there come Saturday).  There were also a couple of herds of cows with calves, one of which had a bull.  Luckily, in the latter case, there was a road running alongside the field, so I could drop back into the next field at the end as the herd had blocked the gate between the two fields on the trail making it impossible to get through without walking through the packed herd. 

I know it's a bit pathetic, but I got bitten as a child (by a dog not a cow) and so I get really worried by them.   

• Options

Oh yeah, those dogs!  There is a point about a mile after the trail crosses Westerham Hill (is that where you are thinking of, AR?) where the path runs alongside someone's large garden for about 100m; they have 3 dogs (one small and yappy, two large and salivating) which I wish they would control.

But rest assured the fence keeps them in and though the Rottweiler is intimidating, I THINK that they are just noisy (every so often I get fed up of them and stop, say 'NO' and stare them down - she always looks uncertain and then slopes off).

I'm not volunteering to put my hand through the fence though!  

• Options

Remember that the art to running with a map is to know where on the map you are at all times. You use the map to make sure you don't get lost, as opposed to correcting things when you do

Its no use running with it in your bag all day and then pulling it out when lost - the damage will have already been done

• Options

Defo have a map, if you are doing the 100 it will be a tad dark at times ( for all but the super duper whippet) so searching for a waymarker could be an added challenge.

Dogs!! image  AR..you are not alone!

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info peeps, any updated weather reports would be appreciated. I've found my map so will have to have a proper study and work out just how much I can carry.

Don't have gaiters so not sure how I'll keep the sand out - lots of socks?

I'm usually fine with the wildlife, gives me something to talk to on  those long stretches without another runner in sight.

• Options

That bloody Rottweiler scared the crap out of me! I'm sure he could get over that fence if he wanted to.

Done all my recce runs with a Harvey map and I needed it a few times but have no plans to carry it for 100 miles which is why I entered a fully marked event. So fingers crossed on that one.

Also done all recce runs in my Nike Triax and they have been fine. I feel I need more support and comfort for that amount of time don't think my trail shoes can offer that. Crew will have them just in case.

Done a short run tonight and that is it. I'm resting. Slightly worried tho the girl at the next desk to me at work came in with a stinking cold this morning. WTF!!! Can't believe it..

2 daysimage

• Options

Can somebody explain to me exactly how the drop bag system works (as in how many do I need). 

Also, would putting food in drop bags constitute a violation of the rules?

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Garlic and crucifixes is the way to go with the girl at work, Dill. Or avoid work image.

I know I can't wear my Inov8s for more than 50 miles, probably not more than 30  so I'll probably be trusting in my only slightly grippy NB876s. I'll probably have enough snacks to fend off the dog. Not doing any exercise at all, just making lists and trying not to drink too much.

• Options

Drop bags are for food, and any other bits of clothing/change of shoes/socks you may need. Also will put spare lubrication and sunscreen in them

Depending on the weather forecast I will either run with a light waterproof in my back pack or put it in a drop bag

I will be using two of the drops

Box hill at approx marathon distance from the start( and the end) and Knockholt Pound at half way 

Box hill will probably contain various caffeine related products to get me through the last quarter of the race

Trail shoes for me - Adidas Super Nova Riots - have a good amount of cushioning and I have done all my long runs and back to backs in training wearing them

Also, the mesh on them is denser and will let in less sand than my road shoes 

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Will be helping out at the Box Hill checkpoint on Saturday. Good luck to you all... when you come through the checkpoint I know I will want to be running it myself!
  • Options

I am number 226!