RunLiverpool Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

Get a cup of tea and give yourself five minutes to watch this.image

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

LOL, LB! The one wearing the fez was really pervy image

I love my Thorlos and haven't found any socks I like as much. My pet hate are those double skinned jobbies I bought for cross country as they just rucked up and became really uncomfy.
  • Options
    I have not got on with Hilly Twin skins at all. Nobody tell Ron Hill.....image
  • Options
    Cracking pic of you in the mag too! image
  • Options
    Anyone notice our first sponsor on the web site? Not a bad brand name to have on board. we have another two announcements coming along shortly...
  • Options
    Ooh is it LFC? image
  • Options

I spent a very nice 15 mins in the office yesterday chatting to Yvonne. Starting to get excited already. Really looking forward to buying the training tops.

I like to run at least 5x20 milers for a marathon, this includes a couple of very slow 22 milers. The "wisdom" being your very slow comfortable 22 miler time will indicate your race time. I ran my fourth marathon 2 weeks ago and it is the first time I haven't died on my a**e over the last 10km.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the mag LB so I don't know which one they used. I always look ridiculous anyway image

<trots off to check on the sponsor>
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Ooh, well done Alan!
  • Options
    The Jogging Buddy website looks quite good - especially seeing at is classifies me as an 'Advanced Plus' runner. I like the sound of that.
  • Options
    Redhead wrote (see)
    I've done 3 x 20 milers in prep for Brighton and feel that's about right for me. I fancy a different schedule for Liverpool too image IL, I've done 20 marathons and 2 ultras and I'm doing 4 marathons this year. Be warned, they are addictive image

Redhead, you keep telling me marathons & ultras are addicitve, I'm a bit worried image

I'm so impressed with the number of marathons & finishing times, everyone has clocked up.  I'm in the presence of greatness image

• Options

Nah....

With respect to all those on here, you want to hang around with Shades, Ickle legs! She's on 250 marathons and when you tag along with her you meet people who're on their 500th!

We're all beginners.image

• Options
    Alan's on 42 marathons I think. I'm secretly impressed but I can't let it go to his head....image
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    IL, LB's quite right!

I ran part way round the Three Forts marathon last year with someone doing his 200th. Each marathon feels as if it's your first anyway as so much can happen in 26.2 miles image

I met Shades when I did my very first marathon 6 years ago and she had just reached her first hundred then. In the time I've run 20, she's run another 150!!! I can't imagine my long-suffering hubby putting up with me doing that many image
  • Options

You feel like a plant pot when you're stood with her and EVERYONE knows her. She looked after me like a mum when I did Dublin! I even had to get in the taxi first and ring her when I got back to my hotel to say I was safe! She looks after her Shadies! image

People come up and say "Hi - I'm so and so. 230." The number refers to the marathon count!

I said "Hi. I'm LB. I'm on two - but so were you once"image

• Options

I can't even begin to imagine how long it's taken, or how often an event is completed, to rack up a tally like Shades'! 

I was chatting to a guy on The Prom a couple of months ago, I told him I was considering entering the marathon, his response was that he'd done about 45, but since retiring, he just did a 20 miler every couple of weeks.  Impressed!

• Options

So, just to keep track & try to get to know everyone (I'm a bit nosey) image

LB - you're about to do London & it's your second time there?

Redhead - you've clocked up 20 in 6 years & are about to do Brighton?

Am seriously impressed image

• Options

Ive done 3 x Londons, 1 Blackpool, 1Snowdonia and 1 Stockholm

oh and i did Liverpool marathon in 1986 i think bu i dont count that one cos it was last century,

god,that makes me feel oldimage

• Options
    a woman in our club has done 100 marathons and didnt start running till she was 50! she is 72!
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

John, good for her, that's brilliant! I ran my first Race4Life on my 45th birthday. I'm fully established in my 50s now and have no intention of stopping until I can no longer drag my arthritic old bones along image

Jakesy, Snowdonia is on my 'to do' list as it sounds wonderful. If you fancy a lovely off-roader then Beachy Head is one to do as it's a fantastic event and is my favourite marathon. I've done it 3 times but have to be careful as it's often held on the weekend close to my hubby's birthday and it wouldn't be very good form to go off and leave him then image

My hubby did the Liverpool marathon in either 1983 (or possibly 1984, he can't remember) and I keep trying to persuade him to start running again and do one with me but he won't.

IL, yep, that's right. It's Brighton in 3 weeks then London (for the 6th time) the week after then I get a few weeks off before Salzburg. Then I've got all summer to do some serious training for Liverpool. I can't wait image
  • Options

Jakesy - I bet you were only a wee nipper in 1986 image  Snowdonia is supposed to be a toughie, it's on my brother's To Do List.  I bet it's a beautiful route though.  Would you recommend Blackpool for a Newbie?

Redhead - is that 3 marathons in about 10 weeks? Go you!

Have you both secured London places through Golden Tickets or been lucky with the ballott?

• Options

I'm sulking.

(Skulks off)

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    IL, it's 3 in 6 weeks - last year I did 3 on consecutive weekends image

I'm on a GB place, yet again, which is my 5th out of the 6 times I've run it. Next year I should get guaranteed entry I hope. The fund-raising gets harder each year as everyone I know in the whole world has sponsored me at least 3 times now!

LB, come back. Why are you sulking?
  • Options
    Yeah, please come back, LB.  Pretty please image
  • Options
    Ickle Legs - Blackpool was my first, it's a mainly flat course so good for a first timer. I didn't like the fact it's two laps of the same course but that's possibly as I knew what I still had to do.
  • Options
    So this is where everyone's gone.

This will be my 1st marathon. I did over 13 miles for the first time on Sunday (14.75miles) and it was hard. I can't wait to get to the stage where 20 miles is a training run.
  • Options
    lfc runner wrote (see)
     I can't wait to get to the stage where 20 miles is a training run.

image Can't wait?! We'll remind you that you said that in a few months time, LFC image

Assuming I make it to the start line in Paris next month, this one will be my 6th proper marathon. (I've also powerwalked the marathon distance, or longer, 6 times too).

• Options
    That's why I've started now Frodo, it's like my running - I'm doing slooooowley. image
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    LFC, well done on your longest ever run. They do get easier, I promise, although when they get to 20 miles that might not really be true image
  • Options

Thanks Stublack for redirecting me here! I wondered why it had gone so quiet with all you chatterboxes!

I've only done 2 marathons, Edinburgh and London. Brighton will be 3, Edinburgh 4 and Liverpool 5!

Did I mention I got a new half PB in Blackpool on Sunday? 1:39:27 image

I remember when I did my first marathon in Edinburgh and met a guy at the start who was on his 200th! He wasright, your 1st is the most special.