Options

Chippenham Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

Mickey and I are running image 

• Options

Loz -  I'm following the P&D plan up to 55 miles a week, so I'm not doing massive mileage, found in the past i've  overtrained and suffered for it.  Good luck with the Half this weekend, which one are you doing?

Jason -  I've heard Chester is a pretty good course, I lived up there a while ago and there are not many hills in the area.

• Options
    Barry - running Grimsthorpe on Sunday.  Taking it easy though as felt I had a bit of a strain earlier in the week.  Ran 11 miles yesterday and feels better today so as long as I'm careful should be okay.  So Grimsthorpe, Chippenham, a 9 miler in Orlando while I'm on hols and then it's Abingdon.  I'm just trying to decide whether that'll be it for the year and I take a well earned rest or whether I put my name down for the Marlow half in November and make it 10 halfs in 2011 image
  • Options
    ShinyShiny ✭✭✭
    If anyone is looking for a place let me know.  Buggered my ankle a month ago so I won't be running now.
  • Options

Hi Shiny...One of the guys from work is looking for a place if yours is still going??

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    23 days to get this thread going!image
  • Options

Jason D - Think its's only me, you and Loz running it. Think you'll win it,  me and Loz will fight for second.

Loz-   How did your HM go?

13.4 miles for me this afternoon in the sunshine around the Swindon HM at a 7:46 avg. P&D cutback week just finished  so only 38 miles, legs still a bit tired though.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Barry- well doneimage My cutback week tooimage. You done this one before? I gather from the feedback that there is a bit of a climb from around 10-12.5, but a downhill finish? Living in West Wales, I can't go far before hitting a hill though, so shouldn't be a problemimage. Hope not, cos I'm doing Snowdonia mara 3 weeks after Chesterimageimage. Seemed like a good idea at the time- yes there was wine involvedimageimage

Loz- hope the half went to planimage

• Options
    Jason - Yeah done it for the past 2 years and it is really well organised, steady climb from 10ish but nothing you could call a hill then a sharp downhill near the finish. 2 maras in 3 weeks fair play to you.
  • Options
    The HM went well thanks guys, my first ever top 10 finish. I admit there was only just over 100 competitors but it felt good. It's amazing how you're never satisfied though as if I hadn't been protecting that injury I could have got 8th. Still as there are only 3 of us running this one I should better it in a couple of weeks image Only managed 2 runs this week but have a long 16 miler planned for tomorrow.
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

loz- top 10 is great- well done!image

Deliberately slow and aerobic 20m for me today- boy, was it hot!image

• Options
    20 miles is good going especially with the heat today. I ended up running 15.1 miles this afternoon so a couple more than last Sunday and felt pretty good. I plan 17 and 19 miles for the next 2 weekends before Chippenham so should be good for Abi. The only problem I have is a 3 week holiday in Orlando between Chippenham and Abi. Not sure how I'll manage my training for those weeks but will figure something out image
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    loz- it's a tough life....image
  • Options

I have an entry for this which can be transferred - I struggled round last year and have not been out often enough so won't be running.

Email me on runnersworld@tedds.org if you would like it and I will arrange the transfer. I don't think that there are any costs but would ask for you to donate a few quid to charity as a substitute for the £15 entry fee.

Regards - Mark.

• Options

Mark - no excuses - I'm in exactly the same boat! Summer holidays are rubbish for getting out running, aren't they? I managed a 10 mile run yesterday so I've decided I'm going to struggle round again this year - hopefully not any slower than last year!

(P.S. Its Lucy J here!)

• Options
    Tough 17 miler today for me, I'll be glad to run Chippenham and be finished after 13.1 miles image
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Loz- well done- not long now!image

Had a great run yesterday- did 18m with 6m uphill and 6m downhill @ 6.52 av ( that pace includes a 3 mile warm up and 1m cool down) and felt strong at the end. Quite confident now of nailing sub 3 in Chester via PB of <1:23 in Chippenhamimage Looking forward to it now!

• Options

Well done on the long runs, I ran 20.3 on Friday at 7:46 avg first 14 splits were Ok but slowed a bit over the last few, got soaked due to a downpour at about 7 miles, and have paid the price. Bad blisters on balls of feet, left foot worse, have been trying to drain it.  No chance of running today so 60 mins down the gym on x trainer(dull). 

• Options
    Lots of people fitting in Chippenham as part of their marathon prep, by the sound of it. Any other mere mortals on here who have struggled to get their training in over the holidays?
  • Options

Jason - good to hear you're on track for your PB's.  Not sure I'm going to manage sub 1:34.  I'm hoping the long runs will improve the endurance though and mean I won't slow down over the last few miles as much as normal.  My best bet probably is following someone round who is aiming for around 1:30 and see how long I can hold on.

Barry - that sounds really painful.  Hope it doesn't affect the training too much.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Barry- ouch- hope you recover soon

loz- Long runs are great for making 13.1m seem shortimage Sure you'll be fine. Anyone you know aiming for 1.30?

• Options
    Jason - No but I'll start at 7 min mile pace and see how I go.  
  • Options
    TownerTowner ✭✭✭

hi all, my first time at chippenham, normally would be doing Bristol this time of year but at £40, its got a bit too expensive, looking forward to the day!

• Options

Towner - welcome to Chippenham! Its a great race, hope you enjoy it!

Barry - hope your feet recover quickly - sounds very painful.

Loz - best of luck for a speedy race! 

Jason d - best of luck to you too for a PB at Chippenham

• Options
    TownerTowner ✭✭✭
    thanks for the welcome B&T....im hoping for a time of sub 1:45, and am told that its a flat course, so fingers crossed!
  • Options

Thanks B&T.

Towner - I'm told it's flat too, if the weather is as bad in Sep as Aug you should have a good chance.

• Options

I'm looking for an entry for the Chippenham half....

if you come across an entry, we're able to transfer; would be grateful if you let me know...

Entry fee and contribution to chosen charity.

Regards

John Cook

Egdon Heath Harriers

07748 645123

• Options

Hi John Cook 14,

I have Chippenham Half entry, please see my earlier forum topic 'Chippenham Half 2011 entry' for details.

• Options

We think our course is flat(ish) but one man's hill is another man's mountain! There are no hills as such but there are a couple of inclines, one coming out of town at the beginning and the other one towards the end coming up to the 12 mile water station. You might like to have a look at http://www.runningfreeonline.com/Map/Detail/Course/2446 which gives some detail that you might find useful.

Here is a posting on the Runners World forum from 2010...
    "Now i know that generally speaking....miles 2-4 prodominately downhill, lowest point in course at roughly 9 miles and the last 4 miles is generally uphill with a downhill to the finish......looking at the heights in feet i know the course not hilly by any stretch of the imagination.....165ft between lowest and highest point......that flat in my book.....looking forward to it!!!"

I could find you a number of other postings agreeing with this person but also one or two who took the opposing view and complained that we mislead them and blamed our description of the course for their poor performance!

Previous winners have been:
    2008 - Dave Mitchinson (1:10:09), Sarah Urwin-Mann (1:23:38)
    2009 - Adrian Marriott (1:09:36), Helen Taranowski (1:21:51)
    2010 - Paul Martelletti (1:09:04), Holly Rush (1:18:19)
    Not sure if this helps but might give you an indication of the speed of the course from their times.

As I said one man's hill is another man's mountain!

• Options
    ....to be honest, it does'nt really matter if its hilly or pancake flat, i'll still be nearly dead at the end!image