Options

South Downs Marathon & 5K

Comments

• Options

what if have not been allocated the first wave? i do not think i have been allocated anything as email does not tell me much, i have email back but not heard anything yet can anyone help

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

Tonka - I currently can't find my race pack (whoops!), but I'm red start, # 30-something! And apart from my shoes I have no idea yet what my PE kit of the day will be!
    Are you busing from QE park to Slindon? If so I'll look out for you there, otherwise I'll keep my eye open at the start and en route.

Like wise I'll look out for Chubster.

Helly - did you think anymore about needing a lift with me? Let me know if you do.

Not too impressed with the weather forecast. I don't mind the rain but I'd rather not have to run into a head-on wind. Not that it could possibly make me any slower!!

Jake - you sound a bit frantic matey!
    If your estimated time is 5 hours or more you will be in the first wave. Try to be at Slindon at least half an hour early and collect your number and chip from the registration tent there.
    You'll be fine.

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Jake, you will almost certainly be allocated the wave you asked for.  The organisers  do seem to respond pretty quickly.Have you got anything resembling a race pack with course route and profile yet?

(That said I'm slightly miffed I asked for one wave, got allocated another and told I couldn't change it when they are still allocating numbers and presumably waves at this stage)

Make sure you have a bit of time at  at Slindon before the start as the toilet queues are usually quite long.  If you have  any baggage that will also need to go in the van.

There is no official transport back to Slindon  so you may have to leave your car at the finish unless you meet someone who can give you a lift.

First time marathoners -  don't go out too fast if you are worried about the distance, walk the hills if you need to as it's often faster than running them, talk to people and enjoy it.image

• Options

Howdi all,

So thats a 16st 51 yr old and a green frog I need to look out for...hmmm....shouldn't be too difficult!

I really hope to get to QE park in time for marathon bus as I think it will add to the FUN, however if my lift doesn't get me their in time I will jump in with the relay teams and get to Slindon that way!

I have a fraying lace issue with my Salomon's and I am worried that they may not last the race but don't really wanna wear my roadies........oh problems problems! Can I buy new laces?? They look a bit complicated to fit image

If all else fails take a bottle of Pimms and head for the hills!!!

Looking forward to the race now,

Chill out guys and see y'all there - looking at the weather I'm sure I'll wear my Hemel cycling top so you really won't miss me!!

FC x

• Options

I recieved maps and everything as email attachment but not confirmation of the wave i am. I assume that i will be allocated my number and band at the start when i arrive at slindon college. I am just hoping to get around, this is a first marathon and in training i run 13 miles. Look forward to seeing everyone there.

• Options

Jake, I entered on monday and the emailI was sent yesterday said...

"We will issue the final numbers on the day and allocate you a start wave according to the time you give us at that time."

Relax!

• Options

... Is anyone else concerned that Mike Gratton doesn't seem to have returned from his Monday test cycle of the route... got to be a touch one.

interested to read comments about kit - will take trail and road shoes with me on the day and see how I feel.  Also will take my basic camelback in case it's either really hot (carry a bit more water) or looks like it will rain (carry my watyerproof in the the elastic straps on the back).

Apprehensive, but looking forward to it.

• Options

Maybe he fell down a hole or something....

I think I'll do likewise with kit - see what the conditions are like on the morning. 

I'm apprehensive but also restless - I can see these next few days really dragging - I just want to get started!

• Options
    limper wrote (see)

Not too impressed with the weather forecast. I don't mind the rain but I'd rather not have to run into a head-on wind. Not that it could possibly make me any slower!!

Ditto the headwind point - trouble with a point to point, could be headwind for the last 20 miles or so!
  • Options
    I've decided to take my camebak too, going to half fill the bladder and then stuff the waterproof in with it as there's not much room for anything else apart from phone and a car key. Will also take running belt for gels and jelly beans. Can't access the camelbak pockets on the run so the belt is good for stuff you need whilst running and the camelbak for stuff you don't need (or hope you don't need)

I find the camelbak is great for sipping on whilst running and then can use check points for proper refreshments.
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

The Flaming Chubster - I have previously used Salomon Speed Cross 2 trail shoes and ran for ages with the lace frayed. The black outter sleeve gave up pretty quick bu the actual inner lace part held out for ages on mine. In fact it hadn't even broke when i replaced the lace. Which leads to my next point. Yes, you can get spares. I popped into Cotswolds outdoor shop and Salomon actually dish them out for free so they just gave me a couple of laces. Fitting isn't too bad. You just need a pair of scissors, a lighter and about 15 mins free time.

I believe you can also get the laces from Snow and Rock shops. Unsure of anywhere else you can pick them up but i would guess any shop that stocks salomon shoes can get hold of them,

I am not going to be taking a camelbak but may take a handheld bottle if it is a hot one. If not then I will just settle for drinks at the drink station. Does anyone know if they hand out drinks in cups or in bottles?! if its bottles then no need to take anything of my own... if its cups then will probably take my handheld as i think i only ever manage to get a mouthful of water from the cup and the rest goes everywhere else!

• Options
    Just checked weather again, seems that rain is less likely (20%), wind forecast is a light breeze and a bit warmer, up to 15 degrees. If that turns out to be the case then that's pretty damn good in my book. Might not need that waterproof after all.
  • Options

Wetter is Better - runners notes say water in bottles and SIS in cups at some stations.

Im taking a waist pack just to carry a waterproof and a few bits - less chaffing than a backpack.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Cheers pmo... missed the bit in the notes about the water stations handing out bottles.
  • Options

... and also sis gels at the sis stations.

Not to be relied on I suppose, but I'm sure i read that there would be a salomon store / retail opportunity on the day.

• Options

Taking road shoes and trial shoes and deciding on the day wouldn't be much use IMHO.

Slindon College (the Start) is approx 3 or 4 miles (may even by 5 miles) away from the actual South Downs Way. The bulk of the 1st few miles are on tarmac-ed roads IIRC.

BTW I ran last year in lightweight road shoes and they were more than adequate. 

• Options

I enetered this on Monday after prevaricating for weeks due to ongoing injury problems etc, have done it once before a couple of years ago and loved it (well, sort of, you know what I mean - 6000ft of climbing maybe calls for a different description...................................). I'll probably wear a bottle belt as I like to be able to have a drink when I feel like it

I agree with Sean G - I ran parts of the course last weekend during the South Downs Way 100 mile Relay, although we had quite a bit of rain after on Sunday, unless we get a lot more before Saturday it'll be dry, hard and dusty so anyone in road shoes shoes be fine IMHO. I'd be  very happy with a light breeze, coolish and the odd shower on Saturday - last Saturday was horrific in the middle of the day with 25 degrees, a hot drying wind, no air, lots of dust from the chalky tracks and of course those bl**dy hills !

Good luck to everyone ! I'm planning on a 5hr approx scenic walk/jog. I don't think it's worth getting too stressed about what starting wave you end up in - the finish will be open late enough to see you through even if you start in the late wave........last time I did this there wasn't even any checking, you just rocked up at which of the start times you wanted............image

• Options
    Y notY not ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what time the buses leave until? The race pack says 7.30 but the website says 8am?!

Cheers

• Options

I saw that as well. Think I'll aim to be there before 7.30 to be sure...........

When you sit on the bus going to the start, you'll realise how far it is !!!!!

• Options
    Y notY not ✭✭✭
    I've emailed the organisers as well as would quite like an extra 30 mins in bed
  • Options

OMG only 3 sleeps to go!  I have my trail shoes and camel back sorted but was not expecting a rain forecast.  I shall happily be joining the walk/run crew as the elevations shown look immense. 

I am assuming that everything is very clearly sign posted and I don't need a map......does anyone know?

• Options
    Let us know Y not as the snooze would be appreciated.
  • Options

Thanks Sean etc - road shoes it will be.  I'm aiming for 5hrs but as long as I get round I'll be happy.

Shelly, once you're off the roads and onto the Downs even without seeing runners in front of you (assuming you're not in the lead) I believe it's all pretty well signposted - even for walkers, without any signs/mile markers that the organisers may put out.

• Options

Shelly - this one is well marshalled/signposted, little risk of going wrong (he says, with a due sense of dread & doom and tempting fate !)image

Looks like the 5hr pacing group will be a big bunch ! Look foward to chatting on the hills.  Worst one for me is at about 13 miles........(start of the 3rd relay leg). Perfect start to the second half. Enjoy !image

• Options

I think all i am taking is my i phone for music and i will be wearing road running shoes and still unsure whether to wear a vest or tshirt, probably will decide on the vest.

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

Lots of if's and what's and worries appearing on the thread now! Understandably I hasten to add, especially if this is your first SD mara.
    I'll try to reassure you on some points...

1. Do NOT lie around in bed hoping to catch the last bus! If you are in the first wave (9:20) then aim to be on the first buses. Tis only fair.
    2. Road shoes are perfectly adequate for this terrain.
    3. Water is provided in bottles, SIS is in cups, gels have always been available even if you are right at the back!
    4. Things have changed considerably since you ran it a couple of years ago, Gwasshopper. You won't be banned from starting, but the staggered starts are there to make the run more comfortable for everyone so it's only fair to respect them.
    5. Shelly et al - it's well signed and pretty obvious and you'd have to be half asleep to go the wrong way!

Just relax and enjoy what is a beautiful route amongst friendly runners.

<< hops about excitedly >>

• Options

Last bus is at around 0800....but they have got a habit of getting lost trying to find Slindon College.

The coach I was on last year needed 2 attempts to find it!

As Limper said, if your in 0920 wave, I'd be looking at getting an earlier coach rather than a later one!

• Options

Limper...my wife is doing the relay so we are driving to Slindon and friends have offered me a lift (for a change) so i can have a nice lay in and arrive around 8am fully cilled and ready for a little bit of exerciseimage

Seems like there may be a few of us over the 5 hour time, mine will be nearer 6 hours i would think, at least i may have some company for a little whileimage

Look forward to seeing you all on Saturdayimage

• Options
    Thanks Limper - great info. Looking forward to this one, even if it is as hard as hell (whoops sorry !). Was waiting at Cocking last week for our runner to come down the hill thinking '......this time next week........'
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Old Gwasshopper wrote (see)
    Looks like the 5hr pacing group will be a big bunch ! Look foward to chatting on the hills.  Worst one for me is at about 13 miles........(start of the 3rd relay leg). Perfect start to the second half. Enjoy !image

The far side of Cocking Hill... OMG!!!
    Of course once you get over the pain of Cocking Hill you have Beacon Hill to look forward to!!!

Just thinking about the buses - they don't tend to leave until they are full anyway so if every single runner had a lie-in there would just be an 8am convoy! The loo-queue at Slindon would be a nightmare though!

That's another thing first timers - take a £1 with you and there's coffee and croissant at Slindon. Usually.