Options

Dublin Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

Hello Adog

Chose the trainers after being filmed on a running machine. They just felt the most comfortable. The others I tried just seemed to be too wide (i have quite small feet- size 8 and quite narrow)

At the moment if i was offered a sub 4.30 i would take it.

By October, with some hard training and, hopefully staying injury free, I hope to be closer to 4 hrs.

Over the next few weeks will be concentrating on strength work in the gym, some hill sessions and a few 5k and 10k races. Not too concerned about the times. Will just build gradually.

I trained for the Edinburgh marathon in 2009 and neglected strength training. I lost 8 weeks of my 16 week training schedule through knee injuries and ended up running the marathon wearing 2 knee supports.

I don't want to make the same mistake againimage

• Options
    Found this on page 5!! Hope everyone's training is going well!!

I have my schedule and I start 20 weeks plan on Monday. image
  • Options
    GF - I hope the plan is in action

Tis very quiet on here this year

C'mon lads and lassies - who's goin to feel the pain of that "incline" after the Park or the beautiful thigh twitches of the drag at mile 21.

• Options

Hi folks,

Nice to see some familiar faces on here.  I'm in again this year and it'll be my fifth Dublin.  It's still my favourite!  I'm mainly focussing on triathlon this summer and as cycling is a weakness have reduced my running to work on it. I have been averaging a marathon a month though so hopefully come August I'll still have a good level of running fitness to build on and will  be able to put a bit more pace back in for Dublin.  I'm holding off on a time target until I see how quickly I get back into run focus mode.

Good luck with your plan GF.

• Options
    CoxieCoxie ✭✭✭
    I've just been having a look.  It looks a bit pricy at 70 euros!  Although I do fancy having a bash at it.
  • Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Oh Looky .. a Dublin thread image
    I did this once in 2009 and loved it . Great atmosphere. two of my mates are going for their 100 and 200 marathons respectively so would love to go do it with them. Missed it last year as Venice was on the day before and I couldnt get back in time.

Serious training would have to be done for this methinks. Crikey is it 20 weeks  to go already?image

• Options

Morning everyone! & what a lovely one it is here in Dublin - 'bout to lace up & do a lap of Howth Head in the sun...(clockwise Paddy to prepare for that incline!)

...& my training is as eccentric as ever - a 50-mile week last week off just three runs (yeah, I haven't seen that on any training plans)...

yeah, 20 weeks to go from yesterday, but what with holidays abroad et cetera forthcoming I'm
    factoring that there's maybe just 17 & 1/2 weeks or so of training 'proper' left for me...

thinking of racing a half on 3 July to see what the state of play is...

enjoying my running more than ever at the moment, so hopefully a good summer ahead...

• Options
    Adog - I always do Howth clockwise - the other way is too soft ;-0

• Options

quiet on here - just plugging away at keeping the kms ticking over...

have started adding press-ups et cetera to the routine for the first time...

19 weeks out tomorrow

• Options

Been doing some core exercises and working on leg strength recently with hill repeats and some weights in the gym.

Seems to be working. Clocked 2 23 mins 5ks in last week and today set a pb of 48.36 in Llanelli 10k

Legs felt strong throughout race and pleased with stamina at this stage.

Lots and lots of work to do but happy so far. Need to start racking up the miles, gradually, now.

• Options
    Nice 10k Steve - keep it up.

HM meself next week - it'll be a good gauge.

Hey Adog - keep it up. Wont be doing Howth this week as hm on Sunday. After that, other than hols and race weeks i'll be heading up that hill!!

Its goin to creep up fast - days start getting shorter after Tuesday - that means Autumn is coming.
  • Options

Hi all,

Well done on the pb Steve, great stuff.  Have fun at the half Paddy, which one are you doing?  Can't believe it'll be all over in 19 weeks, another year racing by.  I haven't really thought about Dublin other than making sure my entry is in and my flights are booked.  It's only 5 weeks to the Outlaw, which is my main target this year and then I'll switch back to focussing on running.

I did my first organised cycling event yesterday, they're a lot more relaxed than running races, lots of stops and people do literally stop  for coffee, lunch and a big old chat at them.  I was still fixed in running mode and aimed to get to the end as soon as possible, but it was good fun and with cycling to it and home again it was my longest ever ride.  I've got the Boddington marathon next week, aim to do it at long run pace as a final long run before the taper.

I have a terrible habit of neglecting strength/core work so well done to those of you working on it, I'm sure you'll feel the benefits soon enough. 

Hope you all have a good week.

• Options
    Hi all,

I am considering signing up for Dublin after completing the VLM this year I would like to better my time of 4H48 to 4H30. A lot of my (Irish) friends from work are already entered so feeling a bit of peer pressure! I was wondering if anyone knows if there are pacers at Dublin? Messed up my target time in VLM as I set off too fast and it was a struggle from mile 6 so do not want a repeat of that!

Thanks,

Emily
  • Options

Hi Emily,

They definitely had pacers at Dublin last year, they were very easy to spot as they were carrying giant balloons.  I'd expect them to have them again, although I don't know for sure.  I'd say give in to that peer pressure - it's a great race!

• Options

yep..............definitely sign up Emily !

VLM this year was my first mara and my legs went at 16miles and I hobbled to the end 2mins behind you - I'm there in Dublin to hopefully get a half-hour better !  I'm going to be very strict on myself to run a steady controlled pace from the start.

• Options
    Hi all,

I'm signed up to Dublin, which'll be my first marathon! I'm not much of a runner, more into my hockey, but I'm looking forward to the challenge and I'm actually beginning to enjoy the training runs. Dreading the day when I'll have to go for a 20-mile run straight after match day though...

Any other first timers out there?
  • Options

This will be my second Dublin Marathon and my 4th in total including Barcelona in March - I started at the age of 50 - I was looking at Hal Higdon's intermediate plan 1 and the schedule ties in perfectly with the Longford Half 28/08/2011 - The Dublin Race Series Half in Phoenix Park  17/09/2011 (Only €20) and the Athlone 3/4 02/10/2011.

I thought the Athlone 3/4 was ideal prep last year - The Hills at the end really prepared you for the extra 6 miles in the Marathon and I booked early this year for only €29 (http://www.athlone3quarter.com/)

I have not done the Longford Half before but it is quite expensive at €43 which is only €5 less than the full Marathon www.[b]longfordmarathon[/b].com

I also missed the Dublin Half last year but I know a few people who did it and thought it worthwhile

• Options

This is going to be my first full marathon too!  Seems like a great one since it has a good buzz and not too many hills.  For those of you who have been before, would you recommend a hotel near the start/finish line?  I suppose thats a silly question but I'm not sure about the logistics on the day. 

Emrun - there are definitely pacers.  I'm using the training schedule from Runners World called "Smart Coach" which has my estimated goal for race day to be 4:15 but I signed up for the "over 4:15" for the marathon but I'm wonderigng if I I can still go with the 4:15 pace group....

All I know is that I darn better finish the race because I have family coming over from America to watch me... no pressure!!!

• Options

I was looking for 4.15 pacers last year but there are only 4 hour and 4 hr 30 pacers - I was hoping for 4.15 last year but faded in the last quarter and finished in  4:30:06 so I am trying to go with the 4 hours this year if the training goes well and I can shed a couple of stone image

The effects of Gravity are much worse when you weigh 16 stone

• Options

Second marathon for me after London this year. That was bloody hard but only because I got a little carried away by the occassion at times and I was knackered by mile 16!! Planning to be much more sensible this time and perhaps try for a negative split?

My training plan starts on Monday. I'm using Pfitzinger and Douglas' lowest mileage marathon plan (up to fifty-five miles per week at its peak)  from their book Adavnced Marathoning. A great book for anyone interested in the science behind the training plans.

• Options

PADDY- How did the half go? which one was it?

NOT SO GREAT N R - what type of time are you shooting for with that plan?

Muggy here in Dublin today. Got a string of 10k runs done in past week (wasn't a plan, just the way it all worked out what with the routine & all), but incorporated a couple of MP kms in each of 'em...& then a nice & easy 24k save for kms 20-23 which I did at MP - feeling good. Early days though.

18 weeks now.

• Options

Set the alarm for an early run this morning but because i'm a lazy git didn't get out until 11.30 just in time to catch the sun.Phew was it warm.

Did a very easy 2 hours. Ran a route to pass my house twice for some much needed refreshment and to soak my cap in cold water.

Felt ok though despite the heat but must try to get up earlier.image

Had my first butterflies last night at the thought of running 26.2 miles. I think i'll be a nervous wreck in 18 weeks timeimage

• Options
    Finbarr65Finbarr65 ✭✭✭

Morning All,

I did the Enniscorthy/Strawberry Half Marathon at the weekend where I want with the 1:45 pace group.  First time I went with a pacing group. Really interesting and fully recommended to try staying with a pacer. There was a huge bunch initially that steadily lost people on the way around (lesson: know what your capable of: image ). 

Didn't make it myself, Got to 10 miles in 80 minutes which was spot on, last three miles were then 8:20, 8:30, 8:40. image  Still a respectable 1:46:30 image..

Three of us from Waterford are planning Dublin this year. So will will give up on the club runs on Saturdays and start our own Long Slow Runs.  I learned loads on the Dublin '09 forum regarding the LSR's.  i.e. real slow (60-90 seconds slow than estimate marathon pace.  I'll probably be going for 9 minute pace on the day so LSRs of ~10:20.

/J

• Options

Hi all,

How's everyone doing?  Congrats on the half Finbarr.  A few butterflies are always good Steve, I find they give you a bit extra on the day.  Well done for getting your long run done in that heat, it was definitely tough out on Sunday.  I did the Boddington marathon, which didn't start until 11:15, and it was really hard work.  I'd intended a very comfortable 4:15-4:20 as a final long run but just wilted in the heat and from 16 miles I was slowing with every step.  Finally finished in anot so comfortable 4:43 but in the end I was just glad to get to the finish line.   Fortunately my factor 50+ did it's job and I didn't get burnt. Still, it was a good workout and I'm fairly confident it won't be that hot in October! 

Hope you all have a good week.

• Options
    Adog/ Finbarr - I turned up to start the strawberry half But had to pull out after about 1 1/2 miles. Finbarr - If you saw a pathetic looking figure pulling up coming up past the 1798 centre it was me!!.

Doc has diagnosed Sciatica (I had a feeling thats what it was before i went though). I shouldnt have started but you know us runners - great at giving advice but poor at taking it.

It puts my Dublin plans in danger - I'll see how things are in a few weeks!!.

Finbarr - well done on the effort on a tough course!
  • Options
    Finbarr65Finbarr65 ✭✭✭

Paddy,

I did see you image  I said to myself "what a whoose" image

A Physio said to me "runners are the most stubborn people she ever had to deal with!"

Challenging course alright.  I was speaking to Barry Minnock afterwards (winner with a course record and PB of 68:07). I asked him for a recommendation for a course good for a PB. He recommended national half championships in September in Waterford.

/J

• Options
    The Waterford course is good (they run the nationals on the same course as the Waterford half). That is unless you have last years wind!!
  • Options
    Finbarr65Finbarr65 ✭✭✭

Paddy,

I know Waterford well.  Did it twice.   I got a PB (1:44:52) in Waterford in the National Half in '09. I did it again in January this year with "THE WIND".  I was wrecked at the turn around point and could not avail of the tail wind.

I remember around the 11 mile mark a toddler pushing her mother in a shopping trolley over took me image 

We have two more goes at Waterford this year. Nationals in Sept and Waterford AC half in December (both same course)

• Options

PADDY - Ah, that's shame...what are you going to do to retain fitness now? Last time I couldn't run, I hit the indoor rower - came back in better shame when I'd to take time out from running! Felt an ominous dart of a stinging sensation in the old Achilles this morning - I'll have to watch it...may just take a couple of days off to be on the safe side...howis Sciatica treated?

FINBARR - good one on the half...yeah, the old LSRs...real slow...they're the most enjoyable runs for me, especially if the winds are slack & there's a bit of clear sky and there's something good going on the earphones...

KP - yeah, a marathon wrapped up for you...I'll have to rob some of your suncream...no matter what factor I put on, I still managed to come in with a touch of tomato about my face...even when it's not sunny...the old uv is a nasty thing...

I'm up to 50 miles per week at the mo, but, as I say, may just scale back for a fortnight or so to fend off any threat to the Achilles...right, off to sneak a peek of Wimbledon...don't tennis players have it somewhat easy what with the sitting down for a break every two games!

• Options
    Adog - Its treated with anti-inflams and some rest. At the moment i have the go ahead to swim - and started this morning. I'm going to see my SMT tomorrow to see what he says. Basically I have to protect my back. When I do get running a lot will be off road.

Ironically i got the injury initially in the gym - felt the back go - and the sciatica is a subsequent result of that.